Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to move on from Bret Bielema

Started by PorkRinds, November 24, 2017, 11:00:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

November 24, 2017, 11:00:39 pm Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 02:09:55 pm by PorkRinds
Look at the reactions from his current and former players on twitter. They believe he deserved better. They don't seem to agree with the multitudes of you that were convinced he played favorites and had off the field issues. They believe he's a man of great character that cared about them and did what was best for them. It provides some good perspective. I believe he should have been fired, no doubt. But he left this program and these kids better off than when he got here, whether the record this year shows it or not. He made an impact on these players not only as athletes but as people. That's not a guess, that's straight from their own statements. They're not happy with the way it was handled and they love their coaches. So I believe it's inportant to remember that over the next few weeks.

hoglady

Bielema's players do seem to love him / as did Houston Nutt's when he was terminated.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

UA1985

1-7 in conference and nearly losing to Coastal Carolina in year 5 = failure. No room for argument there.

HawgPilot

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 24, 2017, 11:00:39 pm
Look at the reactions from his current and former players on twitter. They believe he deserved better. They don't seem to agree with the multitudes of you that were convinced he played favorites and had off the field issues. They believe he's a man of great character that cared about them and did what was best for them. It provides some good perspective. I believe he should have been fired, no doubt. But he left this program and these kids better off than when he got here, whether the record this year shows it or not. He made an impact on these players not only as athletes but as people. That's not a guess, that's straight from their own statements. They're not happy with the way it was handled and they love their coaches. So I believe it's inportant to remember that over the next few weeks.

Its a good thing they aren't making the decisions.  Good grief

sowmonella

Quote from: hoglady on November 24, 2017, 11:12:02 pm
Bielema's players do seem to love him / as did Houston Nutt's when he was terminated.

That's not true at all.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

lasthog

I believe this speaks more to the character of these players than his performance.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hoglady on November 24, 2017, 11:12:02 pm

Boom
This is my non-signature signature.

ThisGuy

Wild Bill Hog

Most players love their excoaches.  This is nothing unusual.  Many people made much of Nutt's explayers visiting with him at the OM-Ark game the year after he was fired.

hoglady

Quote from: sowmonella on November 24, 2017, 11:15:50 pm
That's not true at all.

I recall all kinds of comments from Nutt's players upset he was let go.
Just because the fans didn't like him doesn't mean that most of his players didn't.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

jkstock04

What do they believe he deserved? To coach 2018 and see what happens? I don't twitter but if true I do find it unfortunate players embrace the current culture that is Razorback football. We won 4 games this year. Bielemas record here is the worst we have had since WW2.

It's almost scary to me that our current culture is literally that of embracing everything the past 6 years as something awesome and positive. Twilight Zone type stuff. I'm looking forward to the change of culture we will undoubtedly will see.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

EastexHawg

With all due respect, so what?  Players almost always support their coach.  Players play, administrators make business decisions and run the program.

HawgPilot

dfwalumdad

how did he leave the program in a better place, john l at least won two conference games. i'm glad the kids liked him. i'm hoping they'll like the new coach less and win more.

jgphillips3

They were all recruited by Bielema and know nothing else.  That's why we adults have to make the decisions.  I'm sure lots of employees love personable managers who get fired for failing to meet even basic objectives.  I'm sure students love teachers who are personable even though they aren't learning anything.  I could go on.  Even if Bielema isn't a perfect guy, he's not a bad guy.  The decision to fire him has nothing to do with the kids liking him or not.  Hell, they liked John L. Smith too. 

forrest city joe

Sorry bit i don't listen to players when it comes to decision making.remember the players wanted Long to hire John L.Smith.how did that work out for Arkansas?i love our players.but if they did not want their coach fired.they should have won more games.ot's really simple.

PorkRinds

Again, I think he deserved to be fired. There's been lots of chatter recently about him having personal issues, about players being upset about how they were treated by him, and him only playing "his guys". Players who have been part of that speculation have spoken out about him being a good coach and a good man. I think they feel like he deserved more than being fired as he walked off the field. But I think it's important for us to remember how our players feel about the man as we move forward. Let the past be the past and let his record on the field stand for itself.

hogsanity

Why do people fell the need to keep running him down, or take shots at those who may support him because they liked him when he coached them?

He just got fired and still had the professionalism to go meet the media.  Just be happy we are about to hire someone else to come in and likely average 7 or 8 wins over 4 or 5 years then we can cry for that guy to be fired
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jkstock04

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 24, 2017, 11:24:57 pm
Again, I think he deserved to be fired. There's been lots of chatter recently about him having personal issues, about players being upset about how they were treated by him, and him only playing "his guys". Players who have been part of that speculation have spoken out about him being a good coach and a good man. I think they feel like he deserved more than being fired as he walked off the field. But I think it's important for us to remember how our players feel about the man as we move forward. Let the past be the past and let his record on the field stand for itself.
As it turns out him getting fired as he walked off the field is fake news started by Bielema.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hoglady

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 24, 2017, 11:24:57 pm
Again, I think he deserved to be fired. There’s been lots of chatter recently about him having personal issues, about players being upset about how they were treated by him, and him only playing “his guys”. Players who have been part of that speculation have spoken out about him being a good coach and a good man. I think they feel like he deserved more than being fired as he walked off the field. But I think it’s important for us to remember how our players feel about the man as we move forward. Let the past be the past and let his record on the field stand for itself.

Surely you know by now he WAS NOT fired as he walked off the field.
He was fired while in a private office - so he could talk to the team before they left for the holiday.

lasthog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2017, 11:25:12 pm
Why do people fell the need to keep running him down, or take shots at those who may support him because they liked him when he coached them?

He just got fired and still had the professionalism to go meet the media.  Just be happy we are about to hire someone else to come in and likely average 7 or 8 wins over 4 or 5 years then we can cry for that guy to be fired

I remember one veteran NBA coach said that when you coach in the NBA, the day you are hired you are also fired, you just didn't know when.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogz11 on November 24, 2017, 11:26:12 pm
I'm sure they did like him. He was their best friend looking at some of the comments. The problem is he was a terrible football coach. The record speaks for itself.

And there's no doubt he played favorites. When you make Austin Cantrell a focal point of the offense while guys like TJ Hammonds sit the bench, you're playing favorites.

I want a coach that gets results and is NCAA issue free. I don't care if he gives his players the warm and fuzzies.

TJ Hammonds thinks coach B deserved better. Take that however you will.

Drop the Mike

I remember multiple players wanting John L to get the job permanently as well.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hoglady on November 24, 2017, 11:29:15 pm
Surely you know by now he WAS NOT fired as he walked off the field.
He was fired while in a private office - so he could talk to the team before they left for the holiday.

He was fired as he walked off the field, but it took place in an office. I suppose that makes it better?

popcornhog

I believe in all if the things that you've said. But he had proven that he couldn't win here. That's why I'm glad he's gone.
WPS

Temprees

Thats because the "favorites" are the ones that you are hearing from.  I suspect the "non-favorites" are silently celebrating.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Temprees on November 24, 2017, 11:39:28 pm
Thats because the "favorites" are the ones that you are hearing from.  I suspect the "non-favorites" are silently celebrating.

TJ Hammonds thinks he deserved better.

hawgmasta

Quote from: lasthog on November 24, 2017, 11:33:15 pm
I remember one veteran NBA coach said that when you coach in the NBA, the day you are hired you are also fired, you just didn't know when.

Lots of truth in that, unless you are on of the top 10 coaches or so your time is coming. All coaches understand that, and I think most of the players do.

PorkRinds

Quote from: popcornhog on November 24, 2017, 11:38:52 pm
I believe in all if the things that you've said. But he had proven that he couldn't win here. That's why I'm glad he's gone.

I'm glad to have made a change. I do think he deserved to be fired.  I don't think the animosity and kicking him in the ass on the way out the door is a good look.

hoglady

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 24, 2017, 11:35:23 pm
He was fired as he walked off the field, but it took place in an office. I suppose that makes it better?

Being fired in a private office / is not being fired while walking off the field.

Tell me a better way for this to have been handled.
Let the team leave town and hear it from the media in the morning / never getting a chance to say their goodbyes?
Let the coaches fly out on recruiting visits in the morning?
When exactly should they have fired him?

Most on this board wanted him to coach this last game - by doing this the admin. left themselves a small window and opened themselves up to what I believe is pretty unfair criticism.
Guess they should have just fired him last week.

Ironhawg

How do you think it should have been done?

Calling All Hogs

I hope he taught his players how to be winners in life because he sure didn't teach them to be winners at football.

SlickWilly

Quote from: Drop the Mike on November 24, 2017, 11:34:36 pm
I remember multiple players wanting John L to get the job permanently as well.

^

Players' affinity for a coach is not a good enough reason to keep a coach.

snoblind

No.  He was fired "AFTER" he walked off the field.  They did it the way it should have been done.  Made it official so he could address the team before they all took off for the holiday and coaches got on planes in the morning.  Gave him a choice of doing the press conference or not.

Switchback

Quote from: HawgPilot on November 24, 2017, 11:21:01 pm
Must be the "snowflake" effect on society :o

Your right.  People can't handle loosing and get triggered to the point that everyone must be smeared on the way out the door.  Showing class shouldn't be so difficult.

Pig in the Pokey

they'll love Norvell more. They'll really love winning.

WPS
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Muleriderhog

Well players loved John L. too... doesn't mean either one is a good coach. The players need a coach not a buddy; that's what John L. and Bielema were and that's why they failed.

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Großer Kriegschwein

Even Bret said he preferred it the ACTUAL way it went down, ya'll keep glossing over that too.

jkstock04

Quote from: hoglady on November 24, 2017, 11:41:28 pm
Being fired in a private office / is not being fired while walking off the field.

Let the team leave town and hear it from the media in the morning / never getting a chance to say their goodbyes?

Most on this board wanted him to coach this last game - by doing this the admin. left themselves a small window and opened themselves up to what I believe is pretty unfair criticism.
There was a lot of talk and even a thread a few days ago about what a great thing it was going to be for him to coach this last game. Senior day, players giving it their all for him one last time, everyone leave on a happy note, etc. Guess that was all for naught lol. So much for that.

What a deal....obvious to me that there wasn't going to be a "right time" for this. Those clamoring for him to coach one more game probably were holding out some tiny hope winning today would somehow save his job and are now upset what was inevitable actually happened.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Cylinder

The objective fact is he was going to be fired after the game because of recruiting travel starting Saturday. The last chance for him to address his team was directly after the game. Any other timing and the butthurt would be about the players not being informed.

I guess anyone still on the Bertmobile at this point aren't going to be swayed.

He had his shot. He failed. Now he has a buyout.

jkstock04

Quote from: hogz11 on November 24, 2017, 11:50:54 pm
Deserved better how? I guess give him the 2018 season? I'm starting to wonder if Bielema has these kids brainwashed. Him being fired as he walked off the field has already been debunked. Bielema has given nothing but excuses for his piss poor coaching and thinks he left this program in a better state. Makes me sick....

And I'll state this forever........Bielema played favorites. It's been talked about over and over and over. I've listed the players and positions over and over. He flat out does it to the point that Stevie Wonde could see it. I've never questioned a coach doing this before. Not Nutt, Petrino, or anyone. But Bielema did it here and this season was the most blatant.
Remember Pelpherys farewell speech? Similar...he went on and on about what an awesome job of coaching he had done and all that he had accomplished. Looney toons unlogical type stuff.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

rude1

You guys who bought in to Bert can let it go now,  done deal he isn't coming back. Nobody  cares what player's on  a 4-8 team thinks about how wonderful their coach was, if they cared that much they should have put that effort into games and won enough to save his job.

Großer Kriegschwein

Never a good time to fire someone. Especially with the optics involved.

Bret preferred the way she did it. Get it over with and move on.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2017, 11:47:54 pm
they keep glossing right over that.
Nothing to gloss over.that's T.J. opinion.he has every right to it.he got what he deserved in my opinion.he should have been fired after Auburn last year.

Wild Bill Hog

Coaches have agents. Does no one think his agent didn't have a finger in this pie?  If he didn't have an agent, please let me know.  I am assuming he had one.

greenie

Quote from: hoglady on November 24, 2017, 11:41:28 pm

They should have told him days ago, and given him the option to stay.  Being the man he is, he would have stayed for the last game.  This made them look bad because they handled it so poorly.  A bad start for the GOBN.  If you believe they didn't decide until today, then maybe you could be interim AD, too.

seasonhog

Quote from: Muleriderhog on November 24, 2017, 11:47:43 pm
Well players loved John L. too... doesn't mean either one is a good coach. The players need a coach not a buddy; that's what John L. and Bielema were and that's why they failed.

Spot on.........he said that he believe he would not be fired........can he be that dumb.

I believe the coach has been hired.....they were cleaning the deck....for him....not coaching under Long......

GM

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: ThisGuy on November 24, 2017, 11:18:48 pm
Man some of you guys can be dicks

Exactly!  Most of these guys hate Bret because he's not Bobby.  And all they care about are football games because they're like children.  They want the Razorbacks to win because it makes them feel good.  They live vicariously through 18 - 22 year old boys.  When those boys don't win. . .neither do they.  They are failures in their own lives and so they need something to make them feel successful. In this case, it's the Razorback football team.