Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finally Got That Much Needed Signature Win!

Started by Youngsta71701, February 15, 2017, 07:35:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

Great win guys! Finally got that much needed big win to help us get in the NCAA tournament! Thank you guys for not giving up like some of your fans! Keep it going all the way until the end of the season! I'm so stoked right now I don't even know how to digest this win. Still got work to do but enjoy this win and get ready for the next game! Go Hogs! WooPig! :razorback:
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

cardsNhogs

We now have a good win on the resume! I'm little less nervous. This team is so unpredictable though.. We could lose to anybody.

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 15, 2017, 07:37:51 pm
We now have a good win on the resume! I'm little less nervous. This team is so unpredictable though.. We could lose to anybody.

I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Youngsta71701

February 15, 2017, 07:53:29 pm #4 Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 08:47:45 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 15, 2017, 07:37:51 pm
This win helps a lot but we still got work to do to make up for the Missouri and Vandy losses. I hope Mike has figured out by now that the zone is our calling card with this team. Can't keep waiting until we get 10 points behind to go to it. Need to start the game out in it. No doubt this team is still unpredictable though like Mystikal.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 15, 2017, 07:53:29 pm
This win helps a lot but we still got work to do to make up for the Missouri and Vandy losses. I hope Mike has figured out by now that the zone is our calling card with this team. Can't keep waiting until we get 10 points behind to got to it. Need to start the game out in it. No doubt this team is still unpredictable though like Mystikal.
I would add home loss to Miss St to that also and those losses shouldn't have happened. I'm excited for this win but now take care of business at home and win at Auburn.

hawgmasta

I'm getting that angst about the excitement of making the tournament. Once your in anything can happen. Mikes teams get really cold but they can also have hot streaks.

This win really, really surprised me.  You beat a good Frank Martin team on the road, you did something right.  Hope we know what it was and do it again.

hogwood

This win helps a lot but we still got work to do to make up for the Missouri and Vandy losses. I hope Mike has figured out by now that the zone is our calling card with this team. Can't keep waiting until we get 10 points behind to got to it. Need to start the game out in it. No doubt this team is still unpredictable though like Mystikal.

Yes, huge win! But we do still have work to do. This win only affords us the ability to lose at FL without sweating it. We still need to win every other game IMO. Ole Miss is a trap game IMO. Burnett is a great guard and Saiz can ball. They aren't too deep so if we can play some hawgball again then we can win.

Atlhogfan1

Great win

I am curious to see if SC is on the verge of fading.  They may not have that 3rd seed sewn up.

@ Vandy
@Fl
Tenn
MsSt
@OM

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 15, 2017, 08:01:33 pm
Great win

I am curious to see if SC is on the verge of fading.  They may not have that 3rd seed sewn up.

@ Vandy
@Fl
Tenn
MsSt
@OM
I hope they fade. It would definitely help us out as long as we keep winning.

BigoBoys

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 15, 2017, 08:49:06 pm
How would them fading help us?

cardsNhogs

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 15, 2017, 08:49:06 pm
We need south Carolina to finish strong! Remember this is our signature win!

The_Iceman

A tournament expert on Bo's show said this win would project us to the 8-9 game. That gives us a lot more wiggle room. With Florida losing their Center, there is a chance to even pick up more spots. Gotta take care of business at home first tho.

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2017, 08:54:33 pm
A tournament expert on Bo's show said this win would project us to the 8-9 game. That gives us a lot more wiggle room. With Florida losing their Center, there is a chance to even pick up more spots. Gotta take care of business at home first tho.
"Us"?  You left didn't you?  Back already?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: BigoBoys on February 15, 2017, 08:51:01 pm
How would them fading help us?
If they keep losing and we keep winning we can get that 3rd seed in the SEC. I also see the signature win side of it. darned if you do darned if you don't huh...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 15, 2017, 08:53:02 pm
We need south Carolina to finish strong! Remember this is our signature win!
Yeah, I get what your saying. I was thinking if they lose a couple of more and we keep winning we can get that 3rd spot in the SEC.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 15, 2017, 09:11:30 pm
Don't be so hard on em. He got caught up in all the negative hype for a little while. Which is pretty easy to do. As long as we keep winning all is well.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 15, 2017, 09:24:39 pm
Don't be so hard on em. He got caught up in all the negative hype for a little while. Which is pretty easy to do. As long as we keep winning all is well.
He should have done like me and just do other things for a minute to clear his mind.  Dude been jumping on and off the bandwagon so much since last season, I'm surprised he hasn't torn ACLs in both knees!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 15, 2017, 09:26:45 pm
He should have done like me and just do other things for a minute to clear his mind.  Dude been jumping on and off the bandwagon so much since last season, I'm surprised he hasn't torn ACLs in both knees!
Lol... ;D. Sports can be an emotional thing. I've learned how to control mines over the years. Still hard to do though.

Breems

Great win

@ Vandy
@Fl
Tenn
MsSt
@OM

That's definitely not going to be easy.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

ShadowHawg

Great win

@ Vandy
@Fl
Tenn
MsSt
@OM

I believe that SC is showing signs of fatigue over their last 4 games. Coming into our game their season defensive fg pct was a guady 38%. We became the third team in 4 games to reach 50+% against them and all 4 of SC's opponents exceeded their season average for offensive fg %.

In watching SC recently, I began to notice that they weren't just missing their outside shots, they were missing the entire goal with a number. A D1 player should not be missing that badly on a regular basis if they are fresh. How many air balls and shots that only hit the backboard did they have tonight? Seemed like quite a few during our 25-2 run.

SC had a better record at this same point last season with a 21-3 mark. They would go 3-8 down the stretch of the conference run and lose in the first round of the SEC tournament.

They could very well struggle to come up with 2 more wins if they really are fatigued, cumulatively speaking, at this point of the season.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 15, 2017, 09:11:30 pm

NCAA Tournament or bust is still my standard. But why is disapproving of a coach all of a sudden mean you are no longer a supporter of the program? I spent 7 years and have two degrees from the University of Arkansas. So yes, it is, always has, and always will be..."us."

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2017, 09:46:29 pm
NCAA Tournament or bust is still my standard. But why is disapproving of a coach all of a sudden mean you are no longer a supporter of the program? I spent 7 years and have two degrees from the University of Arkansas. So yes, it is, always has, and always will be..."us."
Right. 

rtr

We actually looked like a good team tonight.  Our most complete game to date.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

ShadowHawg

Because when you disapprove of the coach on a night when the Hogs won a very fun game to watch, against an opponent they were supposed to lose to, you are DEMONSTRATING that you have the coach above the program, even if it is in a negative way.

Enjoy this win with us tonight. You can complain all you want tomorrow.

Hollywood_HOGan45

What a great win. Best win of the year by far! I hope some students and fans met the team at their airport.
When barford, Macon, and dusty are on, we are so tough to beat.

The_Iceman

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 15, 2017, 10:13:46 pm
Because when you disapprove of the coach on a night when the Hogs won a very fun game to watch, against an opponent they were supposed to lose to, you are DEMONSTRATING that you have the coach above the program, even if it is in a negative way.

Enjoy this win with us tonight. You can complain all you want tomorrow.

I'm not seeing where I have complained about the win tonight or mentioned not enjoying it. In fact, this is the most memorable win in the history of Arkansas basketball to me, for personal reasons.

I want to hear our named called on selection Sunday more than anything. My support of Mike has always hinged on that. If Mike finishes this out and doesn't pull a 2014 to end the season, he will have my full support in 2017-2018.

hamsam

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2017, 10:34:42 pm
I'm not seeing where I have complained about the win tonight or mentioned not enjoying it. In fact, this is the most memorable win in the history of Arkansas basketball to me, for personal reasons.

I want to hear our named called on selection Sunday more than anything. My support of Mike has always hinged on that. If Mike finishes this out and doesn't pull a 2014 to end the season, he will have my full support in 2017-2018.

Don't have to explain Iceman. You've been consistent in your opinions. As have I.
The Hogs had the best shooting night they've had in forever. Perfect storm. Nothing to do with coaching. Make it to the dance or get gone.
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

cardsNhogs

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2017, 10:34:42 pm

Most hog fans are with your line of thinking. Very low confidence in MA but still pull for the hogs and want Ws!

hogsanity

Sorry, late to the party,  really well played game by the Hogs tonight.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawginbigd1

Woo Pig, I had games tonight to umpire, I just finished, there is still a heartbeat left. That was a huge win, it negates one of the 3 bad losses.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 15, 2017, 07:35:35 pm
Great win guys! Finally got that much needed big win to help us get in the NCAA tournament! Thank you guys for not giving up like some of your fans! Keep it going all the way until the end of the season! I'm so stoked right now I don't even know how to digest this win. Still got work to do but enjoy this win and get ready for the next game! Go Hogs! WooPig! :razorback:
It was a great win, yes.
This puts them back in the NCAA conversation, at least.
Common sentiment was that they needed to get either S Car or Florida, and win the rest. And they got one. Free shot at two.
One would think S Car would be an easier get than Florida, on paper. Hogs haven't won at Fla since 1995.

Now no letup Saturday at home against an Ole Miss that has proved to be very pesky to the Hogs, home or away, over the years. Or this win tonight will be for nought.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hamsam on February 15, 2017, 10:45:01 pm
Don't have to explain Iceman. You've been consistent in your opinions. As have I.
The Hogs had the best shooting night they've had in forever. Perfect storm. Nothing to do with coaching. Make it to the dance or get gone.

Watching SEC Now and hearing our shooting numbers, makes me believe this is not something we should expect going forward. 50% from 3pt, 90% FTs.

But, the heart and guts we played with tonight will win us games going forward. It was the complete opposite of what we saw against OSU, Mizzou, and Vandy.

ChicoHog

I hope we make the tournament but the 8/9 seed is the worst one to get as the winner plays the 1 seed the second round.  I'd rather be a 10 or even an 11 seed. 

HognitiveDissonance

This win helps a lot but we still got work to do to make up for the Missouri and Vandy losses. I hope Mike has figured out by now that the zone is our calling card with this team. Can't keep waiting until we get 10 points behind to go to it. Need to start the game out in it. No doubt this team is still unpredictable though like Mystikal.
14 points down again...unreal.
What is with this team.
It's amazing they've won so many of these games after falling way behind, but why the  heck do they start slow e-v-e-r-y night?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: 12247 on February 15, 2017, 07:58:13 pm
This win really, really surprised me.  You beat a good Frank Martin team on the road, you did something right.  Hope we know what it was and do it again.
Maybe this game will quell some of the Frank Martin man-love talk.

HognitiveDissonance

Yea, you just described probably 70%-80% of the fans.
Make the NCAA, feel ok going forward.
Miss it, all bets are off.

The_Iceman

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 15, 2017, 11:02:25 pm
I hope we make the tournament but the 8/9 seed is the worst one to get as the winner plays the 1 seed the second round.  I'd rather be a 10 or even an 11 seed. 

I just want to be in the NCAA Tournament. Doesn't matter to me how or for how long.

If we play a one seed and get millions of people watching the game, and we were to win or even play them close, that would give this program huge momentum going into the next year and beyond.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 15, 2017, 11:12:11 pm
Yea, you just described probably 70%-80% of the fans.
Make the NCAA, feel ok going forward.
Miss it, all bets are off.

There aren't many fans that feel he should stay or go no matter what. Seems like most people believe he is coaching for his job. Ncaa tournament or bust.

And that is a very reasonable standard for year 6, especially where we stand with 5 games to play. Let's just hope Mike doesn't repeat 2014 and totally fail to end the season.

JayBell

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 16, 2017, 08:11:59 amAnd that is a very reasonable standard for year 6, especially where we stand with 5 games to play. Let's just hope Mike doesn't repeat 2014 and totally fail to end the season.

2012 and 2013 were bad too.  Those teams collapsed.  That's why I'm leery about the end of the regular season and the SECT where Anderson has been one and done four out of his five years at Arkansas.

But hey, this team is already bucking the road game stigma, so maybe they can finish out the season strong too.

hogsanity

Assuming they don't come home and lose to old misses or to GA in a couple of weeks, or lose at Aub. Thats the issue though, a team good enough to go one the road and win 5 sec games has also lost at home to msu, vandy, and that horrific loss at Mizzu.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on February 16, 2017, 09:20:18 am
Assuming they don't come home and lose to old misses or to GA in a couple of weeks, or lose at Aub. Thats the issue though, a team good enough to go one the road and win 5 sec games has also lost at home to msu, vandy, and that horrific loss at Mizzu.

Serious question. Are you hoping for losses?

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 16, 2017, 09:27:25 am
Serious question. Are you hoping for losses?

Hardly. I asked earlier in the season if they were now just playing for seeding, then they promptly puked on themselves. A team capable of winning this many road games should be playing for a 5 or 6 seed at worst, just like the 14/15 team did. I said before the season that I thought this was a ncaat.

Next1_04

Nothing to do with coaching. Make it to the dance or get gone.

But if we would have lost, who would the blame be on? The coaching. Right.

Youngsta71701

Mike gets all the blame when we don't shoot well so why not give him some credit when we do shoot well? ;)

hobhog

I'm with you. I get frustrated when people bash coach B and don't agree but I get it. Better to be mad than not care at all.

I honestly hope MA makes the tourney so we can all get behind him again. But if we slide into the ditch and no Dance I will still think he should go.

I'd rather Dance.

realistichog

It would be a lot better if we didn't have several signature loses.

Swinesong1

Quote from: hobhog on February 16, 2017, 02:43:58 pm
I'm with you. I get frustrated when people bash coach B and don't agree but I get it. Better to be mad than not care at all.

I honestly hope MA makes the tourney so we can all get behind him again. But if we slide into the ditch and no Dance I will still think he should go.

I'd rather Dance.
Do you honestly think we will "all" be behind him if Hogs make the tourney?  The truth is the ones not behind him have never been behind him and never will be.  The same people complaining now were complaining throughout the 2014-15 season.