Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New style offense

Started by Terryproy, January 28, 2018, 09:03:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Terryproy

Do any of you think the uptempo that the new staff is bringing with them will survive in the SEC ?

RockyMtnHog

The spread is already surviving in the SEC.  More and more teams are going to it and it will be around for a long time.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Flrazrback

Up Tempo isn't new, but its something we have never adopted until now. Dynamic, fast paced and exciting..  Very excited to see Hogs run 70-80 snaps a game.

HOGINTENNESSEE

The Uptempo will work. Morris had excellent success at Clemson vs Auburn, LSU, UGA and SC.

Not to mention success against FSU.

TeufelHog

Not until we get a defense that is worth a "darn."

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogsanity

ANY offense will work in the SEC if you have enough SEC LEVEL PLAYERS.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

onebadrubi

Quote from: Terryproy on January 28, 2018, 09:03:43 pm
Do any of you think the uptempo that the new staff is bringing with them will survive in the SEC ?

It's catching on all over the country.  You saw it first hand in the last 3 national championships ships and I believe some form of power spread is the only thing that has best bama the last few years? 

How is your nephew if I remember right liking things so far?  Whaley's uncle, correct?

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2018, 11:08:42 pm
Not according to Frank.

I keed, I keed
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Hoggish1

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 28, 2018, 09:52:28 pm
The Uptempo will work. Morris had excellent success at Clemson vs Auburn, LSU, UGA and SC.

Not to mention success against FSU.

FSU will be running it this year with Taggert

RebelW

I believe this Offense gives us the best Oppurtunity to compete year in and year out, but I do believe it'll be hard to juggle 4 good backs in to keep everyone satisfied

MuskogeeHogFan

How "uptempo" is "uptempo"? We ran one play about every 28 seconds last season. SMU ran one play about every 24 seconds. If we were talking about the difference between an Oklahoma State (almost 22 seconds) and someone like Georgia (almost 30 seconds) there might need to be a bigger adjustment. 4 seconds faster shouldn't be a very difficult adjustment.
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

The way I see Morris offense is it's more of a no huddle, not allowing the opponents defense to substitute and therefore creating favorable mismatches while wearing the defense out over the course of a game.  As Muskogee stated, the time to snap isn't that much different.

To answer the OP's original question.  Yes this offensive style will survive.

jgphillips3

Absolutely...if we continue to upgrade talent and speed.  If we don't do that, no style we run will survive.  Also, this is a run oriented up tempo.  Not three passes and give the ball back consistently.

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 29, 2018, 06:25:26 am
How "uptempo" is "uptempo"? We ran one play about every 28 seconds last season. SMU ran one play about every 24 seconds. If we were talking about the difference between an Oklahoma State (almost 22 seconds) and someone like Georgia (almost 30 seconds) there might need to be a bigger adjustment. 4 seconds faster shouldn't be a very difficult adjustment.

4 seconds is roughly the amount of time it takes to get a player on the field

It is a big adjustment
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: RebelW on January 29, 2018, 06:24:53 am
I believe this Offense gives us the best Oppurtunity to compete year in and year out, but I do believe it'll be hard to juggle 4 good backs in to keep everyone satisfied

Backs that can catch a football will be fine.

Once again, The HUNH is not an offense, it's a scheme or playcalling system.  You can RUN any offense you want to run out of it and you can take 7 seconds or you can take 25 seconds to snap the ball AS long as you Hurry Up No Huddle so as not to allow the defense to sub.  You can run the ball between the tackles every single play if you want to.

titsonboar

CDBHawg

We were 91st in plays per game. SMU was 23rd.

It's a huge adjustment.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: CDBHawg on January 29, 2018, 08:53:46 am
We were 91st in plays per game. SMU was 23rd.

It's a huge adjustment.

Now that is a meaningful stat!  Don't know if that makes it a huge adjustment for the players or not, that is to be seen, but the question is will it be a huge adjustment for opposing offenses.

OkieBack

Quote from: TeufelHog on January 28, 2018, 09:56:42 pm

Bingo.  It will be great if we can score 45 points a game.  It's going to suck if we give up 48.  Still gotta have a defense.  The proof is in the pudding (Chavis).  I would say Coach Chavis has the bulk of Arkansas' immediate success riding on his back. 

I like an exciting offense as much as anyone, but we still have to stop the opposition.  I just hope Chavis can adjust his system for the talent he may or may not have this first year or two.

010HogFan

It's the offense you have to run in the SEC now. We tried the downhill running thing and it just didn't work out. We need an equalizer.

hogsanity

Quote from: 010HogFan on January 29, 2018, 09:26:38 am
It's the offense you have to run in the SEC now. We tried the downhill running thing and it just didn't work out. We need an equalizer.

So wait, doing what everyone else is doing is an equalizer?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2018, 09:33:11 am

Evidently since we were 14 in a 14 team league doing it the other way.  But I think you already know that it fits the talent we CAN get better since you are the one always saying we can't get talent.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: OkieBack on January 29, 2018, 09:08:44 am
Bingo.  It will be great if we can score 45 points a game.  It's going to suck if we give up 48.  Still gotta have a defense.  The proof is in the pudding (Chavis).  I would say Coach Chavis has the bulk of Arkansas' immediate success riding on his back. 

I like an exciting offense as much as anyone, but we still have to stop the opposition.  I just hope Chavis can adjust his system for the talent he may or may not have this first year or two.

The question about s how many teams in the SEC can put up 48 on a Chavis defense and how many SEC defense's can we put 45 on.  I think the odds favor us a little more this way than the other way.  Petrino proved that and if we don't not win the SEC, 21-5 is better than the other way.  How about we do some 21-5's before we start talking about undefeated seasons, SECC's and NC's?

steveaustin69

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 29, 2018, 08:55:22 am
Now that is a meaningful stat!  Don't know if that makes it a huge adjustment for the players or not, that is to be seen, but the question is will it be a huge adjustment for opposing offenses.

Gonna assume you meant defenses, and no it won't. This idea that everyone in the SEC huddles and lines up in the I while running the playclock down to 3 every play is archaic.

Pig in the Pokey

do you think rock n roll and rap music are fads?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

OkieBack

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 29, 2018, 09:43:39 am
The question about s how many teams in the SEC can put up 48 on a Chavis defense and how many SEC defense's can we put 45 on.  I think the odds favor us a little more this way than the other way.  Petrino proved that and if we don't not win the SEC, 21-5 is better than the other way.  How about we do some 21-5's before we start talking about undefeated seasons, SECC's and NC's?

Yep. I agree with this statement.  Gotta take some baby steps.  Chavis has a fresh start and I think he will get the support he needs to make a difference or at least allow much fewer points than the last defensive coaching staff did.  That accompanied with Morris' offense hopefully will get us competitive and back on the winning track. 

Plus this year's schedule will be favorable so it should be interesting to see where Hogs end up with the W/L's.  Whether anyone agrees or not with all the coaching hires that have been made this next season will fall favorably with the Hogs I believe.  I too think the odds are in our favor now.

HeathWimp

Quote from: The NewEra on January 29, 2018, 07:24:44 am
The way I see Morris offense is it's more of a no huddle, not allowing the opponents defense to substitute and therefore creating favorable mismatches while wearing the defense out over the course of a game.  As Muskogee stated, the time to snap isn't that much different.

To answer the OP's original question.  Yes this offensive style will survive.

Bert's insistence on huddling before almost every play drove me nuts.  We were already at a disadvantage talent-wise, and on top of that we almost always gave the opposing team time to substitute players.  Not to mention the antiquated offense we were running, which was much easier to defend against than the power spread.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 29, 2018, 09:43:39 am

What?

Also, how did you come up with Cinco de Hogo?

FATHAWG08

Last year we were playing catch up for the most part in every game, so I would guess we were playing faster than we would normally have liked.
I love off season Football!!

010HogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2018, 09:33:11 am

It is. Why else would they be doing it? It increases the parity of the game. There's a reason so many high schools are going to it and it has even begun to infiltrate the college game. The offense we ran under BB was like dragging our feet in the mud and expecting to win a footrace.

steveaustin69

Quote from: 010HogFan on January 29, 2018, 10:56:54 am
It is. Why else would they be doing it? It increases the parity of the game. There's a reason so many high schools are going to it and it has even begun to infiltrate the college game. The offense we ran under BB was like dragging our feet in the mud and expecting to win a footrace.

You take a decade long nap?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Well the spread works in our favor because all you need is SEC level speed. Much easier to find speed than anything else
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

daBoar

If the rules don't change, like CBB tried to cajole, the advantage has swung to the offense.  So, if your offense doesn't align to play uptempo (and your name's not Bama or LSU), you're likely headed for 1-7 seasons in the SEC.

ChicoHog

Quote from: 010HogFan on January 29, 2018, 10:56:54 am
A large part of it also is due to lack of time the players can practice in HS and college.  It's much easier to learn for the QB, not as many plays, etc.  Very basic stuff but if done well can be very effective. A lot of spread teams have less than 20-25 plays in their arsenal but they run them over and over again and many have options (RPO).  another reason why many college spread QBs take longer to mature in the NFL because the playbook is so much bigger. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 29, 2018, 09:46:12 am
Gonna assume you meant defenses, and no it won't. This idea that everyone in the SEC huddles and lines up in the I while running the playclock down to 3 every play is archaic.

Yes I did mean defense, and I agree that SEC defenses have seen these offenses plenty of times by now.  My hope is in The Hogs getting better players that fit this scheme better.  As many point out, any scheme will work if you can get the players but not all teams can get all the same type players.  That's why there are different schemes, so that all the players have a chance somewhere.  We can hope that CCM gets a fair share and is the coach that Arkansas needs.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 29, 2018, 09:51:17 am
What?

Also, how did you come up with Cinco de Hogo?

What? Can't you understand smart phone English where the phone finishes the sentence before you finish spelling the first word?

Cinco de Hogo?  I'm a "Dreamer" who can't speak, read or write Spanish. 😎

jm

The offense doesn't matter. We are not going to run through the SEC West and score 50 on everyone. The teams that we play year in and year out just do not allow anyone to score in big numbers on a regular basis. Our offensive numbers haven't been that bad; it is our defense that has been horrible. If the new staff can't fix the defense we will continue to lose. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: jm on January 29, 2018, 12:16:29 pm
The offense doesn't matter. We are not going to run through the SEC West and score 50 on everyone. The teams that we play year in and year out just do not allow anyone to score in big numbers on a regular basis. Our offensive numbers haven't been that bad; it is our defense that has been horrible. If the new staff can't fix the defense we will continue to lose.

Of course offense matters and it matters that OUR offense is of a type that takes advantage of the players WE can get.  A game doesn't have to be in the 50's to be a shootout but you normally do have to score in the 2nd half to win even if you have a good defense.  At least Arkansas does!!!

buldozer

The wishbone would work with the right players.... the question should be, can CCM recruit the type of players to the hill that can sustain an uptempo scheme against SEC W talent. The jury is out on this but I sure hope he can.

Hawgphat

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on January 29, 2018, 04:53:32 am
Not according to Frank.

I keed, I keed

The "Wishbone Offense" is no longer around; not because it wasn't an excellent, effective offensive scheme, - - but merely because defenses evolved to neutralize its effectiveness.  Whether or not this happenstance occurs in response to defensive retaliations against the "Spread Offense" remains to be seen.  The premise has been widely advanced by multiple defensive football gurus that there is no such thing as an "indefensible" offensive scheme, - - and that defensive schemes will eventually be devised to minimize and neutralize the effectiveness of ANY offense, regardless of its perceived merits and/or advantages.

As has been observed by other posters above, the effectiveness of ANY offensive scheme - including that of the current, superlatively-ballyhooed "Spread Offense" - will ultimately depend upon the relative athleticism quality of the athletes who are employing the offensive scheme - - - and the overall quality, athleticism and preparedness of the defensive personnel who oppose them.

Since this will be the initial season under new coaching, new offensive and defensive schemes, - - and likely reshuffled pecking order player alignments and prioritized parameters, - - - I have no clue as to how effective either the new offensive or the new defensive scheme will prove to be, all variable factors considered.  It will almost certainly prove to be extremely interesting and very entertaining.

twistitup

This is an offense never seen before - New Style...not just to Arkansas, but to the WORLD - not what you saw at SMU, not even close.

All Aboard!!!

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

smb

Quote from: TeufelHog on January 28, 2018, 09:56:42 pm
NOW THIS IS A GREAT POINT.
GeorgiaHOG

hogsanity

Quote from: smb on January 29, 2018, 12:53:25 pm
NOW THIS IS A GREAT POINT.

Which, of course, means it will be ignored.

OkieBack

Quote from: jm on January 29, 2018, 12:16:29 pm

This is my argument too, pretty much.  Our offense may gain some firepower and look different however we still face the same defenses in the SEC West.  Where our W/L numbers will improve is in how much better our defense schemes, matches-up, and stops opponents from getting into the end zone.  We are all hoping for this massive, quick, scoring machine to rack up 50 points a game.  Better put your money on the defense and hope Chavis can put whatever pieces we have into place and come away with something solid that can actually stop offenses. 

We need speed, strength, and most importantly a better defensive alignment.  Our high-powered offense isn't going to be able to keep up if our defense lets running backs track off 80 yard touchdowns up the middle between the tackles. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2018, 12:56:11 pm
Which, of course, means it will be ignored.

Nah, I think we all got our fingers(and toes) crossed hoping Chavis can give us a decent defense, however this thread is about offense so quaint little sayings may get only get a head nod.

texas tush hog

Don't worry Uncle Terry. Devwah will gain his thousand sneaking off tackle while the opposing teams are spread out. Bank on it.

bennyl08

And coaching staff. We've had SEC seeing as they were also NFL worthy. Can we keep up that level of talent and improve the scheming and actually make adjustments?

We'll have a decent idea by this time next year.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

010HogFan

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 29, 2018, 11:08:13 am
You take a decade long nap?

a decade is not a long time if you compare it to the amount of time football has been around, making the arrival of the spread offense a relatively new concept in the sport that continues to grow and evolve. I know you were trying to be funny, but think it through next time.

010HogFan

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 29, 2018, 11:45:47 am
A large part of it also is due to lack of time the players can practice in HS and college.  It's much easier to learn for the QB, not as many plays, etc.  Very basic stuff but if done well can be very effective. A lot of spread teams have less than 20-25 plays in their arsenal but they run them over and over again and many have options (RPO).  another reason why many college spread QBs take longer to mature in the NFL because the playbook is so much bigger. 

Great point, and to make matters even better, we have a greater level of access to players that can successfully run the system right here in our own backyard. It's been here for years, but we neglected it in favor of being uncommon and what not.