Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Open Tryouts for Walk-On Players?

Started by NuttinItUp, December 12, 2017, 01:09:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 02:51:09 pm
seems like students already have the opportunity to try out

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/walk_on_tryouts_set_for_feb_4_206080660/

"FAYETTEVILLE – The University of Arkansas football team will hold walk-on tryouts Monday, Feb. 4 at 2 p.m. inside Walker Pavilion.

Only full-time students enrolled in at least 12 hours are eligible for the tryout. Students interested in trying out must bring proof of an athletic physical in the last six months, a sickle cell test and insurance. Students needing a physical should take this form when they get their physical.

A sign-up sheet is located at the front desk of the Broyles Athletic Complex. Interested students should sign up by 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 1."

That's from 2013. There's a Facebook post with the exact same copy written on January 23, 2013.

February 4th, 2018 is on a Sunday.

Research is good.

rickm1976

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 01:22:35 pm
if that is what we are relying on to field a team, we are screwed.

the likelihood of finding an exceptional athlete that doesn't train or play sports...well even if you found one, they would have no training.  look at how  hard it was for froholt and he actually played some sports in high school

Virtually all walk-ons are guys who have played football up through HS.  Some may be good enough to play at the next level, but just got overlooked by recruiters, not guys who never played the game before.

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 12, 2017, 02:55:55 pm
That's from 2013. There's a Facebook post with the exact same copy written on January 23, 2013.

February 4th, 2018 is on a Sunday.

Research is good.
so it looks like they tried the idea out and didn't find it worthy to continue.

IOW the athletic dept agrees with me that it is a waste of time
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: rickm1976 on December 12, 2017, 03:00:20 pm
Virtually all walk-ons are guys who have played football up through HS.  Some may be good enough to play at the next level, but just got overlooked by recruiters, not guys who never played the game before.
what this guy is suggesting it getting the general student population to try out for the football team.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

steveaustin69

311Hog

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 03:03:56 pm
what this guy is suggesting it getting the general student population to try out for the football team.

i am sure there are lots of people in the general student population that played up through high school.

steveaustin69

Quote from: thebignasty on December 12, 2017, 02:46:59 pm
lol this thread is victim of the necessity to have a scorching hot take.

of course open walkon tryouts are extremely unlikely to turn out anything useful, but you can't tell me that we don't have the resources to put a ga or recruiting coordinator out there for a couple hours on a weekend letting a handful of interested guys run a couple 40s and darn.  The investment would be so minuscule that even if all it did was engender some good spirit among students for the program it would probably be worth it.

Exactly

PorkSoda

Quote from: steveaustin69 on December 12, 2017, 03:04:22 pm
I legitimately dislike you as a person. You are insufferable.
why because I thought it was an interesting story that I hadn't heard before?

if I was being sarcastic I would have used a "cool story bro" meme.

seems like you are the one that is stewing in negativity here.  I'm just conversing with fellow hog fans.

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 03:03:17 pm

Just because that's the only article or release you could find doesn't mean they discontinued it.

But, based on the previous staff lacking the ability to identify and develop talent, their possible decision to discontinue taking a look at under-recruited players means nothing to me.

PorkSoda

Quote from: 311Hog on December 12, 2017, 03:04:58 pm
i am sure there are lots of people in the general student population that played up through high school.
isn't the normal path then to ask to walk on through normal channels?

311Hog

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 03:08:16 pm

eh i am honestly not sure.  I know there is such a thing as "preferred Walk on" and there maybe even a situation where non preferred walk ons can show up to spring ball and "get a shot" but i do not know.  I know way back when i was a student i played HS ball and i entertained the idea of trying out/walking on because i coulda played for an NAIA school but as soon as i saw Tony Bua i know i would have been lucky to survive.

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 12, 2017, 03:07:56 pm
Just because that's the only article or release you could find doesn't mean they discontinued it.

But, based on the previous staff's lack of ability to identify and develop talent, their possible decision to discontinue taking a look at under-recruited players means nothing to me.
okay well find the one for 2018 if you think they are having one. 

I'm not sure why you are so upset that I don't think its worth the effort.  its just my opinion.  I don't have any control over what the university decides to do.

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 03:10:57 pm
okay well find the one for 2018 if you think they are having one. 

I'm not sure why you are so upset that I don't think its worth the effort.  its just my opinion.  I don't have any control over what the university decides to do.

I have no idea if they're having one, nor do I really care. It's not up to me. But the one you posted was just straight up irrelevant.

Just because I think it could be a positive thing doesn't mean the guys in charge think it could be a positive thing. I'm not arrogant enough to think I know more about someone else's job than they do.

And I'm not upset. I'm just conversing with fellow Hog fans.

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 12, 2017, 03:13:42 pm
I have no idea if they're having one, nor do I really care. It's not up to me. But the one you posted was just straight up irrelevant.

Just because I think it could be a positive thing doesn't mean the guys in charge think it could be a positive thing. I'm not arrogant enough to think I know more about someone else's job than they do.

And I'm not upset. I'm just conversing with fellow Hog fans.
fair enough, I agree with what someone said earlier that in can be a way to reach out to the student population and generate excitement.  but I wouldn't hang my hat on finding future NFL'ers.

HoggusMaximus

drizzle

A few random thoughts:

* In terms of meaningful contributions to the team, under ordinary circumstances I would agree that 99.99% of the time you won't find anyone who can help the team in a manner discernible to the common fan outside the program.

* I note that the ad that was found above was from 2013, the last time we were breaking in a new coach.  When trying to make a major shift of the team's philosophy (such as hiring a new coach), you risk having mismatch between current player capabilities and the desired player capabilities.  Open walk-on tryouts offer a potential way to get a short-term influx of extra bodies to maybe offset that issue, especially if there are transfers out of the program that leave you a little short of players.

* Another situation in which it might make sense is if your student population covers a geography that for whatever reason just doesn't get scouted very well (and thus you legitimately risk missing out on actual talents because no one ever heard of them).  This would have been more relevant prior to the widespread availability of cameras and camera-phones, since now basically every school no matter how small has access to A/V equipment to make game tape and every school's fans can take phone videos and put them on twitter.  However, for some of the coaches talked about from days gone by (Tom Osborne, Frank Broyles, etc.) this may have been relevant -- small-town Nebraska and Arkansas in the 60s and 70s may legitimately have had the potential to have exciting prospects just get missed.

* There could be benefits to things other than team quality that arise from such a tryout.  For example, this could be a way to make students more passionate about the team, feeling like they were a part of it in some way even if they never made it.  (However, there could be costs in this, too, where someone may feel they should have been offered a spot and weren't.)  It's unclear whether (a) all coaches would account for this and (b) we really want coaches to take this into account.

All of that to say, I don't care if they do it.  But there are some interesting issues surrounding it that could draw a reasonable person to either side of the issue.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Roadhog82 on December 12, 2017, 01:29:24 pm
Baker Mayfield was a walk on
so what, this isn't a a thread about walk ons, its a thread about tryouts.

we have a walkon program.  one of our starting Lineman was a walk on. 

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 12, 2017, 03:17:06 pm
and boom goes the dynamite
Fizzle goes the dud

rzrbackhogfan

Quote from: Roadhog82 on December 12, 2017, 01:29:24 pm
Baker Mayfield was a walk on

yes but he didn't just wake up one day and decided he would play football.  He went to OU to walk on. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 02:51:09 pm
seems like students already have the opportunity to try out

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/walk_on_tryouts_set_for_feb_4_206080660/

"FAYETTEVILLE – The University of Arkansas football team will hold walk-on tryouts Monday, Feb. 4 at 2 p.m. inside Walker Pavilion.

Only full-time students enrolled in at least 12 hours are eligible for the tryout. Students interested in trying out must bring proof of an athletic physical in the last six months, a sickle cell test and insurance. Students needing a physical should take this form when they get their physical.

A sign-up sheet is located at the front desk of the Broyles Athletic Complex. Interested students should sign up by 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 1."

Through a google search, it shows on the .gz file that that page has a posting date of 2013-01-23 and a "last modified" date of 2015-05-26, which I assume means that article was posted in 2013. (?)

rickm1976

If they never played the game before, then forget it.  One in a million, except maybe a kicker.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: rickm1976 on December 12, 2017, 03:37:34 pm
If they never played the game before, then forget it.  One in a million, except maybe a kicker.

What if you had an athletic international student from [wherever] who had played soccer/basketball/whatever but never football?

Heck, even the NFL occasionally signs players that have never played football before:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-chiefs-just-signed-a-player-whos-never-played-football-in-his-life/
https://www.flipgive.com/stories/nfl-greats-who-started-the-game-late
https://www.si.com/si-wire/2013/03/06/seahawks-sign-player-who-never-played-college-football

It is not outlandish to think that you can find students who have never played before but are athletic enough to contribute.

rzrbackhogfan

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 03:08:16 pm

Ding ding!!!  Yes if you are interested in walking on there is a procedure you go through with the athletic dept.  If someone has athletic ability they are going to take the time to meet with them and allow them to walk on.  If that person has no athletic abilities they wont meet with them.

PorkSoda

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 12, 2017, 03:34:23 pm
Through a google search, it shows on the .gz file that that page has a posting date of 2013-01-23 and a "last modified" date of 2015-05-26, which I assume means that article was posted in 2013. (?)
didn't see a year on it at the time I posted it.  but you are correct, as someone already pointed out, its old.

hoggusamoungus

Aren't satellite camps basically tryouts?  Coaches get to look at 400-500 kids, all thinking they are worthy of a scholarship.  Those that are not quite good enough to earn a scholarship can be offered a walk-on spot.

LA Football fan

I think the OP was just suggesting that by having open tryouts you may just get a kid that is athletic, say in track, that you could use to add speed to your roster and maybe supplement your special teams play.   Looking at our roster last year, it was clearly evident we were lacking speed at numerous positions.  Sometimes a kid just goes through a growth spurt after getting to college and because of that they were overlooked.  No one is saying that having open tryouts are some magic formula.  You could hold them on one day, let your current players do the timing, drills, etc and let them evaluate whether any look promising enough to give them another look by the coaches.  Players know talent when they see it.  They play against it every game and practice.  Doesn't have to infringe on the coaches schedule or time.  Not saying I am endorsing the idea, but there are plenty of athletes that play other sports that could be impact players in football.  Since speed is a Major component of what Morris wants to do, having a tryout and getting some 40 times would seem to be a good way of seeing if there is some overlooked speed already on campus. 

urkillnmesmalls

Baker Mayfield, and Brandon Burlsworth weren't plucked from the intramural field, or from an open tryout on campus.  I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but when the dust settles, there are kids in Arkansas who dreamed of being Razorbacks their entire lives who may be studs on their HS teams, but they aren't quite SEC material.  Maybe it's speed, maybe it's hands, maybe it's an arm that's not quite strong enough...etc.  They may miss out by a whisker, and then go on to be successful at UCA or ASU, but they just weren't quite talented enough to measure up against their peers coming out of HS for one reason or another. 

THAT is the level of talent that it takes to make it as a walk on at the UA.  The odds of some "athlete" being on campus tearing up the intramural flag football field actually making it onto even the practice squad, would be negligible. 

IF you have the room, it might be cool to have an open tryout just to see who shows up, and possibly picking one kid that you knew could at least be on kick coverage, just as a novelty situation.  The "Campus Contributor."  Outside of that...not sure it would be worth anyone's time. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

In the past, many track athletes made the football squad as WRs, Slot Backs,etc..

Bob Hayes was a track person who played for the Dallas Cowboys in the 60s or thereabouts.  Was the fastest man in football and became a star.  Never played football before the NFL.

Remember the Funny baseball movie about the Cleveland Indians and the black Kid who said he could run like Hayes, hit like Mays.  Thats the Hayes he was talking about.

It would be nice to have a legit walk on program where a Kid who had potential might display his talents to the staff by way of video or similar and come in in condition and show their stuff.  And the hockey about the staff not having reasonable time to give a week end to looking at real potential is just that, hockey.

There is not a very good chance that you will find many NFLers but it is highly likely you can find helpers for the team that may grow into more than practice fodder.  We believe Arkansas is a team that needs to bring in the typical 3 star and develop him into a great contributor by his 3rd or 4th year. 

Instead of using the Mayfield and Burlsworth walk ons as an example, realize they are the exception but there are likely dozens of Arkansas students that can play the game of football as well as the bottom one third of any team we present.  Some of those dozens may have higher potential.  Hell, even in High School, we had Guys that didn't play sports but never try to outrun them to our favorite swimming hole or out hit them in a pick up baseball game.  And for playing football, the pickup game there were the kids more likely to leave someone hurt because they didn't mind hitting without pads, just run over your butt or take you out on a tackle.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on December 12, 2017, 02:09:28 pm
Sad. Some people like to argue just for arguings sake. OP writes about our coaches use of walk one and some guy goes takes it to the extreme. Smh..:

I hate to ruin a good argument, but I believe every NCAA program has a walk on try-out prior to starting two a days. Not every walk on is an "Invited" walk on. How else would someone actually walk on...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Jonbo

Jonbo

Quote from: 12247 on December 12, 2017, 05:54:25 pm
In the past, many track athletes made the football squad as WRs, Slot Backs,etc..

Bob Hayes was a track person who played for the Dallas Cowboys in the 60s or thereabouts.  Was the fastest man in football and became a star.  Never played football before the NFL.

Remember the Funny baseball movie about the Cleveland Indians and the black Kid who said he could run like Hayes, hit like Mays.  Thats the Hayes he was talking about.

It would be nice to have a legit walk on program where a Kid who had potential might display his talents to the staff by way of video or similar and come in in condition and show their stuff.  And the hockey about the staff not having reasonable time to give a week end to looking at real potential is just that, hockey.

There is not a very good chance that you will find many NFLers but it is highly likely you can find helpers for the team that may grow into more than practice fodder.  We believe Arkansas is a team that needs to bring in the typical 3 star and develop him into a great contributor by his 3rd or 4th year. 

Instead of using the Mayfield and Burlsworth walk ons as an example, realize they are the exception but there are likely dozens of Arkansas students that can play the game of football as well as the bottom one third of any team we present.  Some of those dozens may have higher potential.  Hell, even in High School, we had Guys that didn't play sports but never try to outrun them to our favorite swimming hole or out hit them in a pick up baseball game.  And for playing football, the pickup game there were the kids more likely to leave someone hurt because they didn't mind hitting without pads, just run over your butt or take you out on a tackle.

In the DeLorean of my memory (unreliable, true.), I make a stop at the early '80's (I reckon). The 49'ers had a wide reciever who had been a track star who I think had never played college ball. I can't remember his name. Anywho, I watched on TV him run a crossing route or slant. He caught the ball with a linebacker coming straight at him. Unlike an actually experienced reciever he made no attempt to evade the linebacker by juking or diving off to the side so as to only absorb a glancing blow for a tackle. He continued to run straight at the LB, you know, only a step or so. Any evasion would have had to be instinctive. Evidently he hadn't developed that instinct to survive on the fieldl. The linebacker, I don't know if he gave him a forearm shot to the chin. I can't remember what was legal then, but he laid him out cold. I think they carried him off the field.

I well remember Bob Hayes. Too bad "Hootchijuana" was such a big deal then.

Jonbo

Oh, I have to disagree on one point, though. Just speaking intuitively, I sincerely doubt if there's more than one student every so many years in the entire student body who would have a chance of competing athletically with anyone on the football team. It just don't seem right.

Johnny Bobo

jnhogs

Pigsknuckles

Got to tell a story on myself. The first time I met Coach Frank was in the Fall of 73. Two years prior, I was in my last year as a HS DB and WR at Tulsa Edison. Wasn't too bad. Ran a 4.7 40, but was 5 foot nothing, and weighed a hundred and nothing. A true Rudy. Anyway, I was sitting in the stands during an open practice with my brother who had come to visit. A DB was getting torched, and of course, I had my opinions of how he could prevent that. Unbeknownst to me, Coach Frank Broyles was sitting in the stands about 5 rows behind us getting a wide perspective of what was playing out on the field. Coach came down the aisle on his way down to the field, tapped me on the shoulder, smiled, and invited me to come down to the complex the next day and show that poor DB how it should be done. I was rightfully mortified. Guess I can always say I was asked to walk on, but I fear I was simply being put in my place.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

greasy_corner

Quote from: jnhogs on December 12, 2017, 10:33:39 pm
This thread is making me thirsty

Well go get you some of momma's milk nephew, and let the adults conversate.

Großer Kriegschwein

I don't know how many spots we have on the 105 right now. That's my concern.
This is my non-signature signature.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 12, 2017, 11:15:05 pm
I don't know how many spots we have on the 105 right now. That's my concern.

105 is the roster-size limit for prior to the first day of class or the first game, whichever comes first. (essentially pre-season) There is no limit for roster size after that. Some teams have more walk-ons that join the team after the first day of class. I am not sure if you can allow walk-ons access to strength/conditioning training facilities prior to joining the team or not.

For the sake of the question I posed in this thread, the tryouts for walk-ons could be done at any time. (obviously if you did tryouts in the spring you would be hoping any students selected would be enrolled during the next school year)

HogBreath

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 01:49:04 pm
do you know a lot of guys that never played football that are ?
It wouldn't necessarily have to be someone who'd never played before.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

FANONTHEHILL

December 13, 2017, 09:20:40 am #88 Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:42:49 am by FANONTHEHILL
Thought I might weigh in since my son is a walk on.  A vast majority of the walk on players on the roster are invited walk ons.  They are either told that they will be Blue-shirted and receive heir scholarship after the first semester, or told they may earn one in time.  As far as earning scholarships, there is the 85 total limit and the 25 per academic cycle limit.  To compensate for attrition, transfers, injuries, etc, a walk on that has been in the program 3 years can be awarded a scholarship that counts against the 85 total, but not that current year's 25. That's what most walk ins are hoping for.

As far as finding talent in campus that could help the team, you can find speed and you can also find kicking talent.  It is much harder for modern players to fall through the cracks.  Social Media and game film platforms like Hudl get players names out to staffs all over the country.  Diamonds in the rough are very few and far between.  If a student on campus hopes to walk on, th first thing they should do is have their high school coach contact Bobby Allen and get their film looked at.  It would move forward from there. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

tbhogfan

Quote from: Jonbo on December 12, 2017, 06:33:54 pm
In the DeLorean of my memory (unreliable, true.), I make a stop at the early '80's (I reckon). The 49'ers had a wide reciever who had been a track star who I think had never played college ball. I can't remember his name. Anywho, I watched on TV him run a crossing route or slant. He caught the ball with a linebacker coming straight at him. Unlike an actually experienced reciever he made no attempt to evade the linebacker by juking or diving off to the side so as to only absorb a glancing blow for a tackle. He continued to run straight at the LB, you know, only a step or so. Any evasion would have had to be instinctive. Evidently he hadn't developed that instinct to survive on the fieldl. The linebacker, I don't know if he gave him a forearm shot to the chin. I can't remember what was legal then, but he laid him out cold. I think they carried him off the field.

I well remember Bob Hayes. Too bad "Hootchijuana" was such a big deal then.
You're thinking about Renaldo Nehemiah.  He played 3 years for the 49ers (unfortunately the prime of his track career).  He was the first hurdler at 13.00 for 110 m, and then lowered the WR to 12.93.  He was also a sub 10 100m sprinter.  I had the pleasure of seeing him compete in the hurdles many times and the distinct displeasure of having to compete against him in flat events and relays :).

Today, there would be enough money at the pro level to have kept him in track, but even at his level, there wasn't much money for track athletes.
Go Hogs!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on December 13, 2017, 09:20:40 am
Thought I might weigh in since my son is a walk on.  A vast majority of the walk on players on the roster are invited walk ons.  They are either told that they will be Blue-shirted and receive heir scholarship after the first semester, or told they may earn one in time.  As far as earning scholarships, there is the 85 total limit and the 25 per academic cycle limit.  To compensate for attrition, transfers, injuries, etc, a walk on that has been in the program 3 years can be awarded a scholarship that counts against the 85 total, but not that current year's 25. That's what most walk ins are hoping for.

As far as finding talent in campus that could help the team, you can find speed and you can also find kicking talent.  It is much harder for modern players to fall through the cracks.  Social Media and game film platforms like Hudl get players names out to staffs all over the country.  Diamonds in the rough are very few and far between.  If a student on campus hopes to walk on, th first thing they should do is have their high school coach contact Bobby Allen and get their film looked at.  It would move forward from there.

This was the point I was making earlier.  With the amount of KNOWN talent out there, and how thin the line is between players who receive D1 scholarships, and those who don't, the odds of a random student being on campus that is good enough to beat out the "preferred" walk ons would be very rare. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

That seems like an awfully terrible time to do tryouts. Right before NSD.

Is there no-contact period that begins 12:00am Monday the week of signing day?
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on December 13, 2017, 08:05:40 pm
That seems like an awfully terrible time to do tryouts. Right before NSD.

Is there no-contact period that begins 12:00am Monday the week of signing day?

Not sure what time you are referring to.

The previously posted time has been repeatedly shown to be from 2013 and not this year.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Didnt mcelwain do this to find a kicker?

Jonbo

Quote from: tbhogfan on December 13, 2017, 10:34:29 am
You're thinking about Renaldo Nehemiah.  He played 3 years for the 49ers (unfortunately the prime of his track career).  He was the first hurdler at 13.00 for 110 m, and then lowered the WR to 12.93.  He was also a sub 10 100m sprinter.  I had the pleasure of seeing him compete in the hurdles many times and the distinct displeasure of having to compete against him in flat events and relays :).

Today, there would be enough money at the pro level to have kept him in track, but even at his level, there wasn't much money for track athletes.
It was Nehemiah, thanks! He was very fast, especially for the era. That wasn't the only time watching him play that one could see he hadn't developed many football instincts, but it was the most dramatic. I guess he should be given a lot of credit for being able to play in the NFL with no football background at all. Again, I can see the possibility of a track athlete or two coming over, as others have suggested,but someone from the general student population? That just seems mighty unlikely to me.

leroyhawg

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 01:22:35 pm
if that is what we are relying on to field a team, we are screwed.

the likelihood of finding an exceptional athlete that doesn't train or play sports...well even if you found one, they would have no training.  look at how  hard it was for froholt and he actually played some sports in high school
a lot of talented Atheletes in small towns, where the schools are to small for Football, Basketball is the only game in town, it's a damn good idea, have it over a weekend, what have you lost, you might find the next Brandon Burlsworth, the next Joe Adams, I've thought this for years, the worst problem would be who to invite, have the Basketball recruiters keep an eye out.

Have the H.S. BB  Coaches giving names, look at MJ didn't play til the 10th grade, Hogs missed Pippen , I've seen a few Oliver Miller types football bodies. Put the ball on a dime. I vote yes and Frito pie, Dilly Dilly!
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

I've seen bigger schools with better Atheletes in the stands because they weren't in the right social circles, play the Drs. Son and lose or get the guys out of the bleachers and win but lose your job, that happens all over North Arkansas.

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 03:03:17 pm

The IOW sounds like geniuses, all the rural areas that can't fund football adds up to a lot of Ballers, running 4.4s 4.6s big country boys straight off the farm..

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

Quote from: rickm1976 on December 12, 2017, 03:37:34 pm
when Edison's first bulb didn't work I'm damn glad he kept trying, or when Al Gore went sleepless for days on end so we could have hogville,  when we finally found a bigger liar than Bill...

Navin Johnson