Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Still think we will be a top 20 team!

Started by AlmaHog2011, November 24, 2017, 06:31:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AlmaHog2011

I know we got beat and didn't play well. Gafford plays the entire game I don't think we lose. Or if Macon and Beard played at all. Need Jones and Hall to continue to develop. Bailey IMO competed yes he missed some shots but he battled and he will get a lot better. Have to pass the ball into Gafford and Beard in particular didn't even try.

Still excited for this season and this team. Jones and Hall will be the deciding factors of just how good and how far we will go. IMO those two can be really good players.

Dropkick

hobhog

3 senior guards and Gafford. We should be.

PORKULATOR

I was proud of the team, disgusted by the refs and made nauseous by most Hog fans today. We are really a bunch of cutthroat POS's.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: PORKULATOR on November 24, 2017, 06:47:48 pm
I was proud of the team, disgusted by the refs and made nauseous by most Hog fans today. We are really a bunch of cutthroat POS's.
Cutt throat POS's?

bigred223

FineAsSwine

Danny J

yes...right now somewhere around 20-25 with a healthy and full roster a legit top 10 or 15 team.

JenksHawg

Except we can never beat top 20 teams. Seriously how many have we beaten the last say 3 seasons? We like to pretend we are but we always come up short.

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

ShadowHawg

3kgthog

Quote from: JenksHawg on November 24, 2017, 11:32:56 pm
Except we can never beat top 20 teams. Seriously how many have we beaten the last say 3 seasons? We like to pretend we are but we always come up short.

This. Get over the hump or find someone who can.

checkraiser88

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 25, 2017, 01:14:21 am

You're the man bro! You feeling good?

orvillesghost

Until they show they can beat a top 20 team, they aren't one and wont be.

UNC is one of the better teams in the country probably and I don't want to overreact based on one game

Sooner or later though we need to show we can win a game like this.

rzrbackramsfan

I think OU beat Portland by about the same as UNC did.

hawgball40

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on November 24, 2017, 06:56:31 pm
Cutt throat POS's?
referring to the little trolls who come to JB after every loss to trash MA and the team. The irony is that MA has been and continues to work his ass off to turn us back into a contender, and all some fans do is hate and run their mouth, spouting nonsense as if it were fact, with little to no repercussions. They get their rocks off by coming in here to trash our team, and why should they stop? the mods allow them, even when their asinine opinions are proven false time and time again.

2 years ago we got blown out on the road to an ISU team that wasn't very good as the season wore on. This season, we lost by 19 to the defending national champions, after cutting the lead to 6 with 3:30 left in the game, after an end to end victory over oklahoma the day prior in which we scored 93 damn points, no doubt our best performance as a team under Mike Anderson, yet these same posters come in claiming they see no improvement and that Mike can't/won't ever get it done. The fact that the moderators allow this behavior is mind boggling.

Hogsfan1981

This team is fun to watch and has real potential. I'm just glad these guys are going up against great talent. Iron sharpens iron..

As for the fans...most are ignorant. I get text messages from people that come over from football one or two games a year and their uneducated reactions are infuriating but you just have to ignore them. They probably never played the game and they only watch when Facebook tells them they should.

Only loss of the year is to the defending champs and they are already out in low I.Q mode.

UNC is a great team and well coached  but on another night we might have got the win. Can't have a off night in basketball but even great teams do.

This will be a great year. We still have things to work on and some experience to be gained and we don't have all the talent in the world.

However, we should make some noise.

Pro tip: use the ignore feature.

WorfHog

Some historical perspective for the Mike Anderson Era.

Wins: 8

2011: Mississippi State, Michigan and Vandy
2012:Florida
2013:Kentucky (2x)
2014:None
2015:TAMU
2016:South Carolina

Loses: 18

2011: UConn,UK,Florida
2012:Syracuse, Michigan, Florida
2013:Gonzaga, Florida
2014:Iowa State, UK (2x)
2015:TAMU, UK
2016:Florida (2x),Kentucky (2x)
2017: UNC

Overall: 8-18 (30%) vs Top 25 teams in the regular season and SEC Tournament. Mostly some really good Florida and UK teams skewing this record.

Medic821

Except we can never beat top 20 teams. Seriously how many have we beaten the last            say 3 seasons? We like to pretend we are but we always come up short.
.   We'll move the own then.  Dueces to you.

Razorbacks#1

Love this team. They are going to make some heads turn. Go HOGS!
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

hawg1221

I think Arkansas is in the 20 to 25 range as far as ranking. I see our guard play as top 10, but the supporting cast is average except for Gafford. However, he's young and will take time to develop. And as many know,  the supporting cast is very important when playing Mike Anderson's style of basketball. It really shows up when Arkansas plays a very good team. The guards are having to carry too much of the scoring load, because their teammates lack  the ability to score. Our guards get worn down eventually. That's what a run and gun system does if you truly don't have enough scorers on the team.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 25, 2017, 01:00:23 pm
referring to the little trolls who come to JB after every loss to trash MA and the team. The irony is that MA has been and continues to work his ass off to turn us back into a contender, and all some fans do is hate and run their mouth, spouting nonsense as if it were fact, with little to no repercussions. They get their rocks off by coming in here to trash our team, and why should they stop? the mods allow them, even when their asinine opinions are proven false time and time again.

2 years ago we got blown out on the road to an ISU team that wasn't very good as the season wore on. This season, we lost by 19 to the defending national champions, after cutting the lead to 6 with 3:30 left in the game, after an end to end victory over oklahoma the day prior in which we scored 93 damn points, no doubt our best performance as a team under Mike Anderson, yet these same posters come in claiming they see no improvement and that Mike can't/won't ever get it done. The fact that the moderators allow this behavior is mind boggling.

I don't get the hate to Mike? That dude is straight up class. I know several people that know him well and there really no reason to hate him?
I have nothing but respect for him and how he runs the program. I also feel he's on his way to making us relevant again.  It's a good time for Hog basketball.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on November 25, 2017, 06:44:38 pm
Love this team. They are going to make some heads turn. Go HOGS!

100% agree very excited!

porkinsons disease

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on November 25, 2017, 06:48:32 pm
I don't get the hate to Mike? That dude is straight up class. I know several people that know him well and there really no reason to hate him?
I have nothing but respect for him and how he runs the program. I also feel he's on his way to making us relevant again.  It's a good time for Hog basketball.
I like Mike personally. I think he is a good coach. Would have hoped that the rebuild wouldn't have taken this long. I still think we are missing some pieces. I don't think questioning some of his decisions and the way we play makes me a hater (yes, it has been directed my way multiple times).

We all want the HOGS to be successful. Just because we don't agree some times, does not mean we are constant rivals on opposite sides of the fence.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Rbill

Quote from: hawg1221 on November 25, 2017, 06:44:51 pm
I think Arkansas is in the 20 to 25 range as far as ranking. I see our guard play as top 10, but the supporting cast is average except for Gafford. However, he's young and will take time to develop. And as many know,  the supporting cast is very important when playing Mike Anderson's style of basketball. It really shows up when Arkansas plays a very good team. The guards are having to carry too much of the scoring load, because their teammates lack  the ability to score. Our guards get worn down eventually. That's what a run and gun system does if you truly don't have enough scorers on the team.
This is precisely what I wanted to put into words. To me it also has to do with substitutions as well. Not only do the senior guards think they have to carry the load, Mike thinks they do too. We need contributions and role players but we also need to use them. We simply could not get it done when we had Macon, Barford, Beard, Thomas, and Thompson on the floor for who knows how long. Most of the end of the 1st half it seemed and beginning of the second until Macon got hurt. It really changed when Macon got hurt (no offense obviously), Gafford came back in, and fresh leg subs reappeared all of the sudden like CJ hitting a couple.

We can be really, really good. It can't go without saying we missed a whole lot of makeable shots that could have completely changed our confidence.

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

Yes. So far, I still think this is a top 20 team.

Hogs should have won against UNC last year. It's one of those things, coin flip theory. I hope we match up with them again in the NCAAT this year.

WorfHog

If Big Dan can stay in and we run the offense through him we're a Top 25 team. If he gets in foul trouble and our guards try to  force it them we're not. Last night they tried to force it and it didn't work.

The real Hogules

I like what I've seen so far from this team and the more they play together the better that they'll get. I can easily see this team earning their way into the top 20 of the country by seasons end.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

PORKULATOR

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on November 24, 2017, 06:56:31 pm
Cutt throat POS's?
what part are you questioning. Your spelling failed and you know what a POS is?
Also, you've gotta know that most on here are of the win at all cost mentality.
Sooooo... What's your question.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PORKULATOR

Where did South Carolina end up last year. Final four? Pretty sure they had a loss to the Hogs didn't they.?

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: PORKULATOR on November 26, 2017, 08:20:02 am
what part are you questioning. Your spelling failed and you know what a POS is?
Also, you've gotta know that most on here are of the win at all cost mentality.
Sooooo... What's your question.

I don't really worry any about my spelling if I did I would spell check. The question was understood by the person I asked. Not sure why you care? And not sure why you want to correct me on my spelling? I don't read every post on hogville. I have a life.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: PORKULATOR on November 26, 2017, 08:21:59 am
Where did South Carolina end up last year. Final four? Pretty sure they had a loss to the Hogs didn't they.?

Damn do you even watch the games? Yes we beat SC..

HotlantaHog

Quote from: WorfHog on November 25, 2017, 06:32:43 pm

Overall: 8-18 (30%) vs Top 25 teams in the regular season and SEC Tournament. Mostly some really good Florida and UK teams skewing this record.
+1 Bringing data, I love it!

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Rbill on November 25, 2017, 08:17:07 pm
This is precisely what I wanted to put into words. To me it also has to do with substitutions as well. Not only do the senior guards think they have to carry the load, Mike thinks they do too. We need contributions and role players but we also need to use them. We simply could not get it done when we had Macon, Barford, Beard, Thomas, and Thompson on the floor for who knows how long. Most of the end of the 1st half it seemed and beginning of the second until Macon got hurt. It really changed when Macon got hurt (no offense obviously), Gafford came back in, and fresh leg subs reappeared all of the sudden like CJ hitting a couple.

We can be really, really good. It can't go without saying we missed a whole lot of makeable shots that could have completely changed our confidence.
I agree with the missing of makeable shots. We missed a lot of open shots that could've changed the game. Also in the beginning we did a great job of moving without the ball and getting into the lane but missed some easy shots. I'm a coach so I view the game from a different perspective than the average fan. After watching that game I wasn't discouraged at all. I do think Gabe O should've got the opportunity to guard Maye. I must say Maye looked like the truth.

lynbug

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on November 24, 2017, 06:31:48 pm
I know we got beat and didn't play well. Gafford plays the entire game I don't think we lose. Or if Macon and Beard played at all. Need Jones and Hall to continue to develop. Bailey IMO competed yes he missed some shots but he battled and he will get a lot better. Have to pass the ball into Gafford and Beard in particular didn't even try.

Still excited for this season and this team. Jones and Hall will be the deciding factors of just how good and how far we will go. IMO those two can be really good players.
This.  I worry that Beard could easiy fall back into old bad habits.  He was still forcing the issue for 38 minutes while shooting 27%.  Seems like he should have made a few more passes to someone else.

hawgball40

Quote from: WorfHog on November 25, 2017, 06:32:43 pm

Would be nice to show the talent levels of each team. wonder how often he beats teams with more talent than he has and vice versa(losing to teams with less talent). I think Mike does more with less, and I am very happy with his performance thus far. The stats show trend but they don't show the full story unless you include the recruiting rankings and rosters of each team. As you said some good Florida and UK teams skewing that record.

Garon111

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 25, 2017, 01:14:21 am
//  Get over the hump?  Oh, he's doing that.  Only a simpleton would think otherwise.  Mike isn't going anywhere! 

Knot2brite

There is going to be a lot of ups and downs this season. Not all the ups are going to be real high and not all the downs are going to be real low. We have some really solid guards and we need some consistency with our post offense and defense but over all I would say we are in a better position this year than last ....just have to become consistent in a positive way
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Letsroll1200

All sickness is not death. Solid game for the Hogs. Time to get ready for Houston. Great performance on a national stage.

rude1

Very good tournament turned in, who wouldn't have taken going 2-1 against this field?