Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

That's why you dont use your QB as a running back

Started by hogsanity, November 23, 2017, 08:42:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

Quote from: hamsam on November 23, 2017, 10:56:54 pm
It was a dislocation you pansies... he will be rolling strong in six weeks!!

That dude for the Bears this year had a dislocation and dang near lost his leg. May have actually been better to break it. If it's like a shoulder dislocation, once you dislocate it once, it's very vulnerable to more dislocations.

RebelliousHog

I saw Theisman's break by LT. It was pretty bad. 

Also remember seeing a lineman from Dallas who dislocated his knee so bad his foot was pointing down and he was on his back.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2017, 10:11:11 am
Ok. If you are going to use you qb as a battering ram you better have 2 or 3 really good backups.

I agree with this.  Once I saw Fitzgerald's backup for a few plays I knew State had no chance. 

Oliver

Grunt

It's high-risk but some teams have done well allowing their qbs to run the ball. BTW, I think Thompson is another Johnny Football in the making, just needs to get the passing fixed.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2017, 10:11:11 am
Ok. If you are going to use you qb as a battering ram you better have 2 or 3 really good backups.

Rarely agree with you but this is correct

Even if you have a true dual threat QB he needs to limit hard contact to key downs.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Grunt

The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HenduHog on November 24, 2017, 11:23:39 am
I saw Theisman's break by LT. It was pretty bad. 

Also remember seeing a lineman from Dallas who dislocated his knee so bad his foot was pointing down and he was on his back.

When you see bone protruding through the skin like Theisman's did it's bad.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Grumpypenguin

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on November 23, 2017, 10:57:27 pm
Can't remember the running back from South Carolina's name, but seeing his leg flop over like a ragdoll on top of the pile made me queasy when i first saw it. That's #1 in my book.

Marcus Lattimore. One of the most depressing injuries ever because it essentially ruined his football career and he was gonna be a stud in the NFL

IronHog

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on November 24, 2017, 12:14:24 pm
Marcus Lattimore. One of the most depressing injuries ever because it essentially ruined his football career and he was gonna be a stud in the NFL

The old ball coach used that kid up......
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Grumpypenguin

Quote from: hamsam on November 23, 2017, 10:56:54 pm
It was a dislocation you pansies... he will be rolling strong in six weeks!!

what? A dislocation of the ankle is one of the worst injuries an athlete can have

RebelliousHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 24, 2017, 12:12:13 pm
When you see bone protruding through the skin like Theisman's did it's bad.

Yup. I was really surprised he didn't loose his lower leg over that.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Atlhogfan1

Its a risk you have to take in college football right now. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RebelliousHog

Forgot about Lattimore's break. Yeah that was painful to watch.

I remember playing at a softball tourney in my younger days and we were between games. A play was at home. The guy slid in and when he hit the catcher, you could hear the snap in the stands.  Ugly sound.

aloha_kid

Quote from: factchecker on November 23, 2017, 09:16:18 pm
Combine a running QB with the fear of getting a targeting penalty and you get this:

I said it last week when they tried to call targeting on us - the best bet is to go low and take out the QBs knee or leg.  A lower leg injury is better than a concussion.

36 went low several times in that game.  Dirty for sure.

redneckfriend

Quote from: hogsanity on November 23, 2017, 08:42:30 pm
They get beat up and broken like Nick Fitzgerald did tonight. Gruesome leg break.

That is why you don't see running quarterbacks in the NFL. Elusive yes, planned running plays seldom and then generally running behind a line surge for a couple of yards at most. The risk is great, the reward small compared to a completed pass.

College is different - you have to accept the skill set your best quarterback has- Hurt, Jackson etc. make life hell for defenses because of their ability to run out of trouble and for the six or seven times a game they run in a planned play. NFL- if the guy can't pass he isn't drafted.

okrazorback

Quote from: redneckfriend on November 24, 2017, 12:45:13 pm
That is why you don't see running quarterbacks in the NFL. Elusive yes, planned running plays seldom and then generally running behind a line surge for a couple of yards at most. The risk is great, the reward small compared to a completed pass.

College is different - you have to accept the skill set your best quarterback has- Hurt, Jackson etc. make life hell for defenses because of their ability to run out of trouble and for the six or seven times a game they run in a planned play. NFL- if the guy can't pass he isn't drafted.

Roger Staubach
Steve Youngt
Fran Tarkenton

hamsam

Quote from: clutch on November 24, 2017, 11:03:13 am
That dude for the Bears this year had a dislocation and dang near lost his leg. May have actually been better to break it. If it's like a shoulder dislocation, once you dislocate it once, it's very vulnerable to more dislocations.

No doubt he will probably experience some life-long issues. However, the shoulder is a ball/socket joint. Totally different than the ankle, which is a hinge joint and not as susceptible to re-injury with proper rehab.
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

hamsam

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on November 24, 2017, 12:16:00 pm
what? A dislocation of the ankle is one of the worst injuries an athlete can have

Depends on bone/ligament damage. Usually, a fracture and ligament tears go along with a total dislocation (which would make it worse) but not always. Not saying it isn't painful and gruesome to look at but I've seen total dislocations walk out of the ER in a boot.
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008