Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What to do with commits?

Started by Piggfoot, September 18, 2017, 10:30:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

After giving them a scholarship and giving them a reasonable chance to make the team and they don't improve. Help them transfer? Drop their scholarship and let them fend for themselves. Convert them to walk on status?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

twistitup

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 18, 2017, 10:30:17 am
Who have little chance of ever seeing the playing field? Help them transfer? Drop their scholarship and let them fend for themselves. Convert them to walk on status?

We need to better evaluate talent so this problem doesn't come up very often
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

RazorPiggie

After giving them a scholarship and giving them a reasonable chance to make the team and they don't improve. Help them transfer? Drop their scholarship and let them fend for themselves. Convert them to walk on status?

Tell them to transfer.

onebadrubi

Who have little chance of ever seeing the playing field? Help them transfer? Drop their scholarship and let them fend for themselves. Convert them to walk on status?

What do you do if you're recruiting better players each year? 

Piggfoot

The point of my question is do we have a 4 year obligation to the commit ?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 18, 2017, 10:36:05 am

Technically speaking athletic scholarships are renewable yearly unless something has changed fairly recently
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

sickboy

No. Not at all. If a kid isn't developing, it's ultimately on him. Now, I have a feeling there are different situations for different types of kids here. For instance, if you have a kid who doesn't live up to what you expected -- but he's giving his all and hit his ceiling because he's busted his ass... then you don't cut that kid loose. If anything, you talk to him and tell him that he's worked his hump off and deserves playing time. He's not going to get it here because of the depth chart, so let's find you a place where you can get the playing time you deserve. Then you use your connections as a coach to find the right place for that kid, hopefully one where he gets to see the field.

The other side of the coin is a kid who doesn't have the work ethic. He fails to live up to the hype because he's not buying in or is unmotivated. These kids you have to be hard with and say "either put in the work or your scholarship is going to someone who deserves it."

jgphillips3

Quote from: sickboy on September 18, 2017, 10:47:40 am
No. Not at all. If a kid isn't developing, it's ultimately on him. Now, I have a feeling there are different situations for different types of kids here. For instance, if you have a kid who doesn't live up to what you expected -- but he's giving his all and hit his ceiling because he's busted his ass... then you don't cut that kid loose. If anything, you talk to him and tell him that he's worked his hump off and deserves playing time. He's not going to get it here because of the depth chart, so let's find you a place where you can get the playing time you deserve. Then you use your connections as a coach to find the right place for that kid, hopefully one where he gets to see the field.

The other side of the coin is a kid who doesn't have the work ethic. He fails to live up to the hype because he's not buying in or is unmotivated. These kids you have to be hard with and say "either put in the work or your scholarship is going to someone who deserves it."

This.

Bigmac2

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on September 18, 2017, 10:41:17 am
Technically speaking athletic scholarships are renewable yearly unless something has changed fairly recently

This. However taking a scholly away from a kid after a year or two wouldn't be perceived very well. Is there any evidence of a scholarship being taken away by in the past?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

If not you're a pro team. This Is the freaking NCAA and the non educated T-Shirt fans need to keep their eyes glued on Sundays and leave Saturdays to the rest of us...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

East Clintwood

You could kick him off of the team and give him a non-sports  scholarship.

That way you're honoring your commitment but not wasting his or the coaches time.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Pigsknuckles

A recruit has to know that a scholarship is not a gravy train. Still, if you make reckless use of the option not to renew, potential recruits will notice, and may be less likely to commit.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

JaketheSnake

If a kid needs to move on, coaches will generally try to help them find a new school and let it look more on their terms than just yanking a scholly from a kid bc he didnt pan out.

PonderinHog

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 18, 2017, 08:12:42 pm
If a kid needs to move on, coaches will generally try to help them find a new school and let it look more on their terms than just yanking a scholly from a kid bc he didnt pan out.

Pretty much. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Poker_hog

There's been talk about only signing 15-20 recruits this year because of low turnover.  Seems like a mistake to me.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

lakecityhog

You start cutting 4* recruits and other schools will use that like crazy! "Do you really want to take a chance and sign with Arkansas when they just cut 3 4* players from their roster"???

When will any of you ever quit blaming the kids? We have (5) 4* recruits sitting on the bench, we and the recruiting services missed on all 5 of them??? Really???

All I heard last season was how Heinrich should be playing and now?? Don't tell me, let me guess--- We missed on him too!!!

But, we sure found 2 diamonds in the rough!!!

onebadrubi

Quote from: East Clintwood on September 18, 2017, 11:31:20 am
You could kick him off of the team and give him a non-sports  scholarship.

That way you're honoring your commitment but not wasting his or the coaches time.

You can't do that and leave a paper trail of any kind I don't believe.  Or else you would see teams doing this A LOT!!!  I have to believe there is a rule stopping this loop hole

RedRazorHog

Quote from: twistitup on September 18, 2017, 10:31:47 am
We need to better evaluate talent so this problem doesn't come up very often

This makes sense
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

hobhog

Good grief.... How do you people live with yourselves ?

Three and Snout

The U of A has been giving multi-year scholarships for a few years now.  To not do so puts you at a disadvantage on the recruiting trail.

MJ2

Barring arrest, the U of A should honor their scholarships.   Cannot just casually throw away the kids after they commit.