Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Return on your Investment as a Hog Fan

Started by WilsonHog, September 17, 2017, 06:45:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

For the investment of your time, your money, your energy, your devotion, what return do you expect? What makes it worth it? What makes it not worth it?

bphi11ips

I've never even considered looking at it that way. But if I did, the Razorbacks have always been there and I assume always will be. Friends, family and loved ones come and go because that's life. But the Razorbacks are always there.

No way to measure the return. It's all good.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 17, 2017, 06:45:00 pm
For the investment of your time, your money, your energy, your devotion, what return do you expect? What makes it worth it? What makes it not worth it?
I came to terms with this reality a few years back.   The product on the field isn't worth much right now.  Crazy that some people think it's worth $15M.  I confess, though, that football in general doesn't mean as much to me as it used to.   
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

ricepig

Dominicanhog

The return has been non measurable... kinda like kids.. though I never had any.. you love them through thick and thin.. the Hogs have consumed so many hours of my life and still do.. how do you put a price on that?

Pigasaurus

I keep hoping for a 2006 type run. That season we got destroyed by USC-W,  should have lost to Vandy and Bama,  and went on a tear. Granted,  McFadden isn't walking through the door but I can still hope. We had the "high school" drama behind the scenes to overcome. And the jackass with a whistle.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

ChitownHawg

The time and airline ticket for $2000 keeps me from investing in being at the game.

Beyond that I'm invested.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

PORKULATOR

That's not fandom, that's business... Or a selfish person in a relationship.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

MuskogeeHogFan

I expect to be competitive in every game and not shoot ourselves in the foot taking away opportunities to win.

That is really all that you can ask, providing yourself with a chance to win and not getting blown out because of self inflicted wounds.

That's the competitive part of the equation.

Some of my happiest memories come from tailgating at Arkansas games in the fall, being surrounded by friends and family, good food, leaves turning, heck even sitting in a driving rain storm in the stadium with water up to my ankles. OK, well, that wasn't the best memory but it certainly was, "memorable".

I could go on and on. So much value aside from just winning, but winning did make it a sweeter experience overall when coupled with everything else but it wasn't everything. Shared moments with family and friends made it a better and more long lasting experience that I will always remember. It "ain't" over.
Go Hogs Go!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on September 17, 2017, 07:28:58 pm
An honest effort, nothing more.

Simple and correct.  From the AD all the way down to the water boy.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ThisTeetsTaken

ricepig

ThisTeetsTaken

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

DLUXHOG

you forgot bitching, pissing and moaning....   I'm guessing a few have an investment in those as well.........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 17, 2017, 07:04:53 pm
I confess, though, that football in general doesn't mean as much to me as it used to.   
I am the same way. Only so many "next years" I can go through especially when there doesn't seem to be any real hope that the program will get better in the foreseeable future.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 17, 2017, 09:17:55 pm
I am the same way. Only so many "next years" I can go through especially when there doesn't seem to be any real hope that the program will get better in the foreseeable future.

guess you weren't a fan from 1990 to 1998.... pretty much, 8 consecutive losing seasons..........

Nashville Fan

Chance to win most games. High graduation rates and low arrest rates
Pittman or Bust!

BigoBoys

Being a Hog fan is hard, I know that and accept that.  Lifetime Underdog 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

After talking to many Cubs fans I have come to the decision that we need a scapegoat...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

factchecker

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 17, 2017, 06:49:04 pm
I've never even considered looking at it that way. But if I did, the Razorbacks have always been there and I assume always will be. Friends, family and loved ones come and go because that's life. But the Razorbacks are always there.

Damn...... that is awesome.  I'd have to agree with every word you said there.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: pigasaurus on September 17, 2017, 07:56:48 pm
I keep hoping for a 2006 type run. That season we got destroyed by USC-W,  should have lost to Vandy and Bama,  and went on a tear. Granted,  McFadden isn't walking through the door but I can still hope. We had the "high school" drama behind the scenes to overcome. And the jackass with a whistle.

Why does everyone leave off the interloper with a clipboard..?
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

hogsanity

I have fun watching the games, I enjoy talking about the team, and that's about it. They do not owe me anything. I really get nothing out of their win's nor does it cost me anything when they lose.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 17, 2017, 09:21:33 pm
guess you weren't a fan from 1990 to 1998.... pretty much, 8 consecutive losing seasons..........

ummm they won the secw in 95 and won 9 games in 98.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

swineology

7- 9 wins and enjoy friends at the tailgate

#HogLife

DLUXHOG

September 17, 2017, 09:46:59 pm #25 Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:50:15 am by DLUXHOG
Quote from: hogsanity on September 17, 2017, 09:41:51 pm
ummm they won the secw in 95 and won 9 games in 98.
95' 8-5
I didn't say "through" 98, said "to" 98' which means not including 98'.   8 seasons would be 1990 - 1997... and yes Houston did have a little light in 1995 during his otherwise losing seasons in that period.......

factchecker

Crazy to think that 8-5 (6-2 in conference) won the SEC West in 1995.

We lost to a horrible SMU team that season as well..... we were their only win.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jkstock04

What I can say is when I get in my mind that the administration doesn't care that much about having a winning program it absolutely deflates me as a fan. I've had a tough time coming to terms with this over the past couple of years. I feel like what's important to them is for me to buy tickets, donate as much as possible, show up and spend $$$ on concessions. On the flip side of that I feel like what's important to me is on the backburner to them...they get your $$$ and that's all that matters to them.

So with all that said I guess the return on my investment I want to see is the administration doing everything in their power to build and keep a winning football program...which of course would trickle down to the coaches as well. I don't feel like we have that right now.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Is it possible some people are too invested in the Hogs? Expecting the Hogs to give them things that people were never meant to get from following a sports team/program?

sickboy

I've definitely come out ahead. And the Hogs could lose for the next hundred years and that's still how I'd see it.

BroyledNutts

Honestly - I decided after Petrino was let go that my monetary investment would be better spent given to Razorback Baseball ... and they need the money more. I've never regretted my decision a single day. From game day experience to amenities, I always feel I get a really good return on my investment with the baseball program.

Tejano Jawg

I've been a season ticket holder since 2006, not counting my 4 U of A years. I split 4 tickets with another Hog buddy. We donate to the Foundation, but it's reasonable. The time is significant, because I have a 5 hour drive to Fayetteville, 5+ to my overnight headquarters in Bentonville. From Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon, that's my football/weekend commitment. Seeing family and friends in NWA, tailgating, has always been part of the football experience.

Last question first, what makes it not worth it?...well, our performance against TCU is as close as I can come to an answer. Our lack of effort trumped the times we did put out. That was a hard game to watch. And makes for a rough drive back to Dallas.

What makes it worth it?...anything that doesn't look like the above description.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

ricepig

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 17, 2017, 09:10:46 pm
One that demands results.

And......that has nothing to do with sports. So, I assume you switch teams you follow in the different sports to the one that is winning? I've been extremely successful in life, I don't confuse sports and business.

PonderinHog

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on September 18, 2017, 06:45:36 am
And......that has nothing to do with sports. So, I assume you switch teams you follow in the different sports to the one that is winning? I've been extremely successful in life, I don't confuse sports and business.

I do get a kick out of the " demand results" " need to hold them accountable" " we deserve better " type of posts.

Inhogswetrust

It's not an investment to me. It's in my DNA and a part of my culture as to who I am.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

I expect since it been over 18 years that we joined the SEC that we would have risen the level we were in the SWC.  But Years and Millions of dollars later we are not much closer in on the field performance as we were when started.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PonderinHog

hogsanity

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 18, 2017, 08:26:09 am
18 years!  Seems much longer...

well, since it's actually been 25, it is longer.

DeltaBoy

I knew is was almost 25 but my memory not as good as used to be.
I will add If the Hogs on both sides ball played for 60 minutes like Texas did Sat night I would be at least satisfied with the Effort.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Keyser Sooieze

I don't invest much money because I don't have much expendable income, but I get to 2-3 games a year, and always watch every game from start to finish, regardless of the score. Perhaps if I was a big donor, I might have more a sense of "return on investment." But I don't think so--to me being a Razorback fan is kind of like being a member of my family.

I'm most proud to support a program that seeks to improve the lives of the athletes in every way--on and off the field, and shape character which is going to last a lifetime. I would probably be most disappointed if high-paid coaches were morally bankrupt and run a program that reflects their character. That too can shape young people into self-centered, entitled jerks.

I love to see the team win and it feels good as a fan to glory in a victory, but character is shaped for the players in wins AND in losses.

DeltaBoy

After 5 years a bad year should be 7-5 and a 8-5 finish with a bowl win.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 17, 2017, 09:10:46 pm
One that demands results.

This is a weak argument. I guarantee you that your job does not contain the same variables as professional coaching

AirWarren

Silly thing to "invest" on in the beginning IMO.

ricepig

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: ricepig on September 18, 2017, 06:45:36 am
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on September 18, 2017, 09:26:02 am
This is a weak argument. I guarantee you that your job does not contain the same variables as professional coaching
The problem (for the UA) is that I am in the market for entertainment and the product on the field isn't entertaining enough for me to spend my entertainment dollars on it.  It's actually hard to watch now.    Of course, the UA and other programs understand that my (and others like me) meager $2000-$4000 per year spending means nothing compared to the revenue the new seating being built for corporate fans will generate.     That's not to mention the TV money the SEC provides to the UA.    Fact is they don't really need me or fans like me anymore and that's ok.  I was never going to win the "best fan" award anyway.   Bottom line, for me, is that for my dollars to be spent on UA Football there has to be results on the field that keep me entertained and interested.   Now UA Baseball, that's a different story.  Great product.  Great results.   

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 17, 2017, 06:49:04 pm

Say it again...!

The NewEra

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 18, 2017, 11:07:59 am
The problem (for the UA) is that I am in the market for entertainment and the product on the field isn't entertaining enough for me to spend my entertainment dollars on it.  It's actually hard to watch now.    Of course, the UA and other programs understand that my (and others like me) meager $2000-$4000 per year spending means nothing compared to the revenue the new seating being built for corporate fans will generate.     That's not to mention the TV money the SEC provides to the UA.    Fact is they don't really need me or fans like me anymore and that's ok.  I was never going to win the "best fan" award anyway.   Bottom line, for me, is that for my dollars to be spent on UA Football there has to be results on the field that keep me entertained and interested.   Now UA Baseball, that's a different story.  Great product.  Great results.   

Simple...

hogsanity

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 18, 2017, 11:07:59 am

Good reply to the topic the OP brought. Takes the emotion out of it, for the purpose of the OP. Many people can not do that with things they invest time and money into.