Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How worried are you? (pt. 2)

Started by bsking, April 15, 2013, 10:32:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

How worried are you about this team?

Not at all.  Omaha bound.
Somewhat.  We'll likely get it turned around soon.
Moderately.  This team is going to struggle to get to Omaha.
Severely.  This team doesn't have a chance.  Most overrated team ever.

bsking

I did this poll about a month and a half ago, the results were as follows:

16.7% Not at all.
36.7% Somewhat.
39.2% Moderately.
07.5% Severely.

I'd like to see how people's opinions have changed since then.  For the record, I chose Not at all a month ago and today.

BigSexyHog

My stance has not changed either...  Moderately
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

jbell96

I voted not at all. This LSU series helped me realize that we aren't as far from where we need to be as I thought before the weekend started.

LA Football fan

This team has shown that they can be shut down by any pitcher at any time.  They have also shown they can give up errors in bunches at any time and unfortunately, pretty much every game.  Some games we have pitched around the errors but we have lost most of our games due to unearned runs not because we were outhit or outplayed.

We have the pitching to stay in any game and in a 3 game series we will be a tough out.  I like our chances but the unearned runs are way too frequent for anyone to be less than moderately concerned.

Kevin

Not only the errors but the plays not made.
Like double play not made yesterday
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ucahogfan

Quote from: LA Football fan on April 15, 2013, 11:41:47 am
This team has shown that they can be shut down by any pitcher at any time.
Literally every team in the country can be shut down by any pitcher at any time.  That's just baseball.

Our pitching staff is so good that we don't need to have a great offense to go to Omaha.

Oliver

Moderately before.  Moderately now

TikiHog

same here Moderately before and now

bsking

I just can't fathom how people that follow this team could say this team would struggle to get to Omaha.  Yeah our hitting isn't incredible.  Yeah our defense has been bad.  But our pitching has been GREAT.  And you know what they say, and by "they" I mean people who make careers out of the game:

The 3 most important things in the playoffs: pitching, pitching, and more pitching.

Knot2brite

Just like I can't fathom how our have no worries about us getting to Omaha. Several things have to be improved to make the trip there. I am NOT saying that we are not going, that we suck or that there is no chance. I just know that it takes a lot of work and a little luck every time to get there. Hitting better with RISP, fielding better, and running the bases better will help. Just because we have the best pitching staff in the game is not a assurance of a trip to Omaha.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

bsking

Quote from: Knot2brite on April 15, 2013, 10:19:09 pm
Just like I can't fathom how our have no worries about us getting to Omaha. Several things have to be improved to make the trip there. I am NOT saying that we are not going, that we suck or that there is no chance. I just know that it takes a lot of work and a little luck every time to get there. Hitting better with RISP, fielding better, and running the bases better will help. Just because we have the best pitching staff in the game is not a assurance of a trip to Omaha.

Why do things need to improve?  We were one hit (or a lucky bounce of a pitcher) away from taking 2/3 against a team much better than we'll face on our way to Omaha.  So why MUST we get better?

Knot2brite

Because you can't count on what you did against LSU to guarantee a trip to Omaha. Defense MUST get better, hitting with RISP must improve, base running must improve. There is no guarantee if those improve that we will make it. If Anderson doesn't go on the play and sticks at third, maybe Vinson gets to first ans the bases are juiced. Maybe the next guy goes yard. Maybe we hit into a double play. Who knows? Living on the edge only gets you cut. The team that wins it all improves from a certain point until they win it all. Yeah we got screwed last year, but Arizona improved in post season and won it all. At this point, we are showing signs of improvement and we need to continue to do so the rest of the way. We can't play unfocused defense and inconsistent offense with RISP and win it all. If we do win it, and we have a GREAT chance to do so, you will see improvement in these areas.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Triple T

I was moderately worried a month ago due to our defense, I'm not worried at all now. With Fico back at 1B and McAfee at SS, I think our defensive woes will come to a quick halt.

This team is going to be absolutely dangerous come postseason, I'm still in the 'national championship or bust' crowd.

azhog10

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 15, 2013, 12:40:24 pm
Literally every team in the country can be shut down by any pitcher at any time.  That's just baseball.

Our pitching staff is so good that we don't need to have a great offense to go to Omaha.
I don't think anyone on this board thinks we need a "great" offense. I think the problem is we struggle to have a mediocre/good offense and are boarderline horrible on defense.

Kevin

Quote from: Triple T on April 16, 2013, 02:05:18 am
I was moderately worried a month ago due to our defense, I'm not worried at all now. With Fico back at 1B and McAfee at SS, I think our defensive woes will come to a quick halt.

This team is going to be absolutely dangerous come postseason, I'm still in the 'national championship or bust' crowd.

If we see a righty today, fisher will be at first, Fico back to second
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on April 16, 2013, 08:40:36 am
If we see a righty today, fisher will be at first, Fico back to second
So Game 1 will look like Sunday's lineup while Game 2 will look more like Saturday?  LHP starting Game 1 and a RHP starting Game 2.

Kevin

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 16, 2013, 08:56:48 am
So Game 1 will look like Sunday's lineup while Game 2 will look more like Saturday?  LHP starting Game 1 and a RHP starting Game 2.
I would say so
Dvh keeps saying fisher is as good at first as Fico, and is swinging better of late

Your thoughts?

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on April 16, 2013, 08:58:34 am
I would say so
Dvh keeps saying fisher is as good at first as Fico, and is swinging better of late

Your thoughts?
Fisher made solid contact against New Mexico and LSU when I saw him hit.  I have been really impressed with Fisher's defense at 1st.  There are maybe 1-2 plays I have seen this season that Fisher hasn't made that Fico probably would have.  Both have tremendous range.

I really like Farris as well.  DVH said we were lucky to get him because he focused on football in high school and was a late signee.  I think we platoon Fisher/Farris/Schwanke from here on out depending on what we need.

Kevin

Funny thing is last year Dvh said (last year) he does not want to platoon in the middle infield for chemistry reasons.  Interesting to see what he does.

I would play the same line up as Sunday today, only change maybe dh vs righty

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on April 16, 2013, 09:04:50 am
Funny thing is last year Dvh said (last year) he does not want to platoon in the middle infield for chemistry reasons.  Interesting to see what he does.
That is a huge concern for sure.  It is important for your 2B/SS to have great chemistry as a DP duo.

HognotinMemphis

Just worried enough that you will delete your account should this poll not go your way, my man.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.