Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good thing we didn't hire Brian Early as DLine coach

Started by TebowHater, November 10, 2017, 06:57:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TebowHater

His resume at the time (thru 2016) is below. Was just named a semi-finalist for the Broyles Award for 2017 ...

https://twitter.com/AStateFB/status/928670510245908480

Not to mention he's an Arkansan and would have been excited to be here regardless of pay. Instead we hire someone who cannot generate a pass rush against 4F and a SO on an FCS OLine. WoooPig Bielema and his wonderful assistant coaches hires.

Resume at the time:
https://twitter.com/CoachJoeCauthen/status/807051013391863810

https://twitter.com/ArkStateD/status/805789592796459010
Did you know?  Arkansas State Defense is #1 in the Sun Belt in averaging 3.08 Sacks and 9.2 Tackles For Loss per game!  #StoneColdD

https://twitter.com/Kara_Richey/status/805476100310794245
#AState finished the year with 110 TFLs, or 9.2 per game. Only Michigan (9.6) had a higher per game average.

https://twitter.com/BrianEarly2/status/803288384793878528
There's only one school in the country with two DL's on the Hendrick's Award Watch List. #stAte

factchecker

The worst part is that he has connections here.

He coached at Fayetteville High.

He was a grad assistant under Bielema in 2013.

He is Dre Greenlaw's adoptive parent.

I hope the new staff hires Early.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

thebignasty

Quote from: factchecker on November 10, 2017, 07:02:59 pm
The worst part is that he has connections here.

He coached at Fayetteville High.

He was a grad assistant under Bielema in 2013.

He is Dre Greenlaw's adoptive parent.

I hope the new staff hires Early.

Me too.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

bville_hog

TebowHater

Quote from: bville_hog on November 10, 2017, 07:31:28 pm
but where is his "NFL" experience?

You're right! Probably doesn't know how to teach "technique," just like Pittman. Too bad  :'(

FANONTHEHILL

He was Fayetteville's DC when my son was a sophomore.  I've never seen a high school defense as prepared as that Fayetteville team.   Brian is destined for big things.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Porkchop#1

Just another head scratcher for the Bielema error.  What a strange ride it's been.

TX HOG

I know absolutely nothing about the guy. He looks/sounds bad a$$ though

Hawginj

onebadrubi

I thought you had to fail at a job first before coaching under Bielema.

grayhawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 10, 2017, 09:04:42 pm
The last couple years you had to be an assistant to an nfl assistant coach to get hired by Bielema.

TebowHater

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 10, 2017, 08:38:22 pm
He was Fayetteville's DC when my son was a sophomore.  I've never seen a high school defense as prepared as that Fayetteville team.   Brian is destined for big things.

He studies film harder than anyone I have ever seen / heard of. Literally must spend 40 hours a week watching film alone, he's a machine.

hawgmasta

Does anyone think he could be ready for d coordinator soon?

greenEGnHAWGS

I'm just asking, but do ya'll think that he'd have those rankings vs superior talent like Auburn, LSU, Bama, etc?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

TebowHater

Quote from: hawgmasta on November 10, 2017, 09:27:36 pm
Does anyone think he could be ready for d coordinator soon?

That would be a leap I am not ready to make. Would like to see how he does as a P5 assistant. That said, I suspect he would be good - just no reason/need to take such a risk at this point.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

bennyl08

Few thoughts. First, I wouldn't have minded if we hired him. Good production out of his DL at ASU.

Two: Hogville would have nashed their teeth at the time of the hire. 20+ years of coaching and the highest he ever rose was DL coach at Arkansas State. By all accounts, our current DL coach has a better resume and has progressed up the coaching latter faster and to higher heights than Early. Again, not saying he would have been a bad hire, but the mantra would have been, somebody who has been coaching that long would have been noticed by a bigger school at some point if there was something worth noticing.

c. This one has nothing to do with the coach. Just the "come and get sum" line.  :puke:

You are just saving one letter and in the process, making the word look like another word that most football fans wouldn't want to get any of. If you want to go for a full metal jacket kind of vibe, just say "Get Some!" Please don't ever say "come and get sum."

That would be a clever line for a math club. Because there, the change makes sense. It becomes a pun. Here, are they just trying to sound cool and young? 
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

TebowHater

November 10, 2017, 09:51:20 pm #18 Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:07:43 pm by TebowHater
Quote from: sowmonella on November 10, 2017, 09:46:46 pm
Yes it is. Just like 90% of all threads lately.

Sorry, main point is there is a DL coach in the state that is a semifinalist for assistant coach of the year. He doesn't coach here. Meanwhile, we have a DL with no pass rush.

His team produced 36 more sacks (69 vs. 105) and 72 more TFLs (209 vs. 281) than our team during the 2014-2016 frame, a frame that spanned Flowers (1 year), Philon (1 year), Deatrich Wise (3 years). Two of these players start concurrently for the Patriots DLine. That is an impressive feat to outperform that talent by that much. http://www.patriots.com/schedule-and-stats/depth-chart

Edit: This is not to mention his current season, for which he is said semifinalist as above! They already (4 more games + bowl!) have more sacks this year (26) then we have had in any of the past four seasons. We have 12 sacks this year to their 26. They have 59 TFLs to our 34.

factchecker

Quote from: TebowHater on November 10, 2017, 09:51:20 pm
Sorry, main point is there is a DL coach in the state

The main point should be the fact that we didn't hire a great coach despite us having connections.  Bielema knows Early.  He knows that Early is legit.  There is no reason for Early to be in jonesboro.

If you want to find a positive - at least Early won't be caught up in the mess when this staff is fired.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jkstock04

Hmmm...is this the same guy who started out coaching at Greenland high school?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

TebowHater

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 10, 2017, 09:28:20 pm
I'm just asking, but do ya'll think that he'd have those rankings vs superior talent like Auburn, LSU, Bama, etc?

Well against the same talent (Coastal Carolina) they had 3 sacks (we had 1) and 7 TFLs (we had 4). They gave up 17 we gave up 38.

Next, we have had far better absolute talent than they have had over this time frame. 3 NFL starters + 5 star recruit in Agim + more. It is all relative. He has just taken CUSA level talent and made them the best in their league. 5 All-Conference DL in 3 years to our 1 (Flowers, second team in 2014).

TebowHater

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 10, 2017, 10:55:23 pm
Hmmm...is this the same guy who started out coaching at Greenland high school?

So where you start coaching disqualifies you from being a good coach? That makes a lot of sense. Too bad, guess the NC won as a coordinator and NC game achieved as an HC don't count for that one coach who started coaching at Hughes High School in Hughes, Arkansas. I don't want that guy as our HC but to say where you start DQ's from being an assistant coach is a comment of immense ignorance.

247Hog

LMAO you maybe on to something. Can't outshine BB.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Would prefer Steve Caldwell back manning the DL duties. Ealy however could coach any position and the kids would respond and improve dramatically.  I've watched his career for a long time and think highly of him.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: TebowHater on November 10, 2017, 10:59:32 pm
So where you start coaching disqualifies you from being a good coach? That makes a lot of sense. Too bad, guess the NC won as a coordinator and NC game achieved as an HC don't count for that one coach who started coaching at Hughes High School in Hughes, Arkansas. I don't want that guy as our HC but to say where you start DQ's from being an assistant coach is a comment of immense ignorance.

Ha. he couldn't even beat Lonoke for the state championship in 95.

jkstock04

Quote from: TebowHater on November 10, 2017, 10:59:32 pm
Nice kneejerk. Vintage homer Hogville. 'Twas actualy simply a yes or no question.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HoopS

I've known Brian a long time. This doesn't surprise me a bit! He's a good dude too. Hopefully we get a staff in who recognizes coaching talent and bring him back into the fold.

hogginbama

Quote from: TebowHater on November 10, 2017, 09:51:20 pm
Sorry, main point is there is a DL coach in the state that is a semifinalist for assistant coach of the year. He doesn't coach here. Meanwhile, we have a DL with no pass rush.

His team produced 36 more sacks (69 vs. 105) and 72 more TFLs (209 vs. 281) than our team during the 2014-2016 frame, a frame that spanned Flowers (1 year), Philon (1 year), Deatrich Wise (3 years). Two of these players start concurrently for the Patriots DLine. That is an impressive feat to outperform that talent by that much. http://www.patriots.com/schedule-and-stats/depth-chart

Edit: This is not to mention his current season, for which he is said semifinalist as above! They already (4 more games + bowl!) have more sacks this year (26) then we have had in any of the past four seasons. We have 12 sacks this year to their 26. They have 59 TFLs to our 34.

You do realize the 3-4 isn't designed to get a rush from the DL? The pressure on the QB is to come from the LB positions. The job of the 3 linemen are to occupy to OL, freeing up a space for an LB or two to come through to the QB. With the 3-4 being newly installed, the blitz packages and pressure packages have been dialed back quite a bit it seems. The lack of blitzes and LB pressure can also be attributed to the injuries creating youth in the defensive back field and fear of giving up the big play. Any time you install a new defensive scheme there is a learning curve. If anyone thought that a first year of a new defense would yield great results with few hiccups they were obviously hitting the crack pipe just a bit much.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

hogginbama

If not mistaken, there is a time line that must be passed before a school can hire an individual who worked with them as grad assistant. If Early did GA work for us in 2013 it is possible that he was not eligible to be hired as a full time assistant due to this rule. For some reason, 3 years come to mind, if that is the case, Early couldn't have been hired until after the 2016 season and we did not have a vacancy.

It comes to mind the young GA that prepped our OL as a GA when Pittman left for Georgia. There was a post about this asking why we let him go to LSU instead of hiring him ourselves. He was hired by LSU for the following season as an OL coach because the rules prevented us from hiring him. I have tried to search this, but have come up empty, maybe one of the more internet savy/ncaa rule experts can help out.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: hogginbama on November 10, 2017, 11:32:33 pm
You do realize the 3-4 isn't designed to get a rush from the DL? The pressure on the QB is to come from the LB positions. The job of the 3 linemen are to occupy to OL, freeing up a space for an LB or two to come through to the QB. With the 3-4 being newly installed, the blitz packages and pressure packages have been dialed back quite a bit it seems. The lack of blitzes and LB pressure can also be attributed to the injuries creating youth in the defensive back field and fear of giving up the big play. Any time you install a new defensive scheme there is a learning curve. If anyone thought that a first year of a new defense would yield great results with few hiccups they were obviously hitting the crack pipe just a bit much.
Uh, since there are only 11 players on the defense, I don't see how it's a good idea to leave all that tackling stuff to the other 8.  I say a good defense will have 11 guys who will tackle your azz, instead of dedicating 3 guys to playing paddy cake with o lineman.

Maybe this is why it often seems we are playing defense with 7-8 guys.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: TebowHater on November 10, 2017, 09:25:09 pm
He studies film harder than anyone I have ever seen / heard of. Literally must spend 40 hours a week watching film alone, he's a machine.
In the 2012 State Playoffs, there was a quick slant that Brian had seen on film in short yardage situations.  They switched their tailback to the other side, narrowed the wideout and slot receiver spreads. Early saw that on film.  I saw him coach it up that week in practice.  Low and behold that Friday night they broke the huddle at midfield and lined up in that formation.  I saw Brian on the sideline and yell at the corner, "This is the one, Score!"  The corner adjusted inside and stepped in front of the slant and scored.  One play, seen on film, ran the season before, got his team a TD in the state playoffs.  I told my wife then and there that he wouldn't be a high school coach for long.  The Razorbacks would be lucky to have home on the staff in any role. From position coach to DC.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 11, 2017, 06:29:57 am
In the 2012 State Playoffs, there was a quick slant that Brian had seen on film in short yardage situations.  They switched their tailback to the other side, narrowed the wideout and slot receiver spreads. Early saw that on film.  I saw him coach it up that week in practice.  Low and behold that Friday night they broke the huddle at midfield and lined up in that formation.  I saw Brian on the sideline and yell at the corner, "This is the one, Score!"  The corner adjusted inside and stepped in front of the slant and scored.  One play, seen on film, ran the season before, got his team a TD in the state playoffs.  I told my wife then and there that he wouldn't be a high school coach for long.  The Razorbacks would be lucky to have home on the staff in any role. From position coach to DC.
Can't lie, the thought of a coach scheming like that from our sideline gives me a chub.
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 11, 2017, 06:29:57 am

No hyperbole - that is Saban level preparedness.

Jimbob111

+1000

Or be an ex-head coach.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

ballinhog

Thought we should've hired him last year. I've always been very impressed with the production of his linemen. I hope the new coach not only hires him but also Derrick Ansley, the defensive backs coach at Bama. Make those 2 co-coordinators and see where it takes us. No risk no reward