Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cycling

Started by hawgrunner, May 16, 2013, 02:52:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 18, 2015, 01:26:36 pm
Got out early today. The temps were reasonable, with relatively low humidity and a decently cool breeze....for the first hour, ha. Thankfully we finished our route by 10:30 to avoid the bulk of today's heat.

Nice!

hawgrunner

Hog.goblin and I had a lot of fun here are some shots from this AM....

hawgrunner

hawgrunner

hawgrunner

hawgrunner

hawgrunner

hawgrunner

McKdaddy

Good-looking path. This out-of-stater isn't familiar w/ the Razorback Greenway....will google.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 18, 2015, 04:51:08 pm
Good-looking path. This out-of-stater isn't familiar w/ the Razorback Greenway....will google.

As you know my normal riding routes are in San Diego but coming back home for a visit had to bike the bike and get some riding in around Fayetteville.

Hogsmo Kramer

July 18, 2015, 07:03:36 pm #210 Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 11:00:05 pm by Hogsmo Kramer
Fun with flat pedals, the pins did a number on me today.  :o

Also slid halfway down the side of a mountain but the pedals did more damage to me than anything.

Ah well, if you're not wrecking every now and again you're not pushing hard enough (well in mtb at least).
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

McKdaddy

I have heard of this trail, but didn't know what it was called. Anyone know if the whole thing is a concrete/asphalt path, or some gravel? I ask b/c all of my riding these days is via road bike. I didn't see much helpful info on the trail's site.

hog.goblin

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 18, 2015, 09:07:28 pm
I have heard of this trail, but didn't know what it was called. Anyone know if the whole thing is a concrete/asphalt path, or some gravel? I ask b/c all of my riding these days is via road bike. I didn't see much helpful info on the trail's site.

I have not been on it north of Johnson, but my understanding is that it's all paved path or short uses of bike lanes on roads. Fayetteville is definitely 100% paved.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on July 18, 2015, 07:03:36 pm
Fun with flat pedals, the pins did a number on me today.  :o

Also slid halfway down the side of a mountain but the pedals did more damage to me than anything.

Ah well, if you're not wrecking every now and again you're not pushing hard enough (well in mtb at least).

How is the recovery going?

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: hawgrunner on July 26, 2015, 02:56:07 pm
How is the recovery going?

It's going pretty decent.

I actually wrapped it and rode on Saturday and it was fine and luckily no additional wrecks.

It's starting to itch like crazy now that it's healing and it was bruised way worse than I thought but it's getting there.

Gonna be one heck of a scar though, which I'm told chicks dig, so maybe the wife will find it sexy. 8)

hawgrunner

Few shots from yesterdays after work ride...

DeltaBoy

Cool I need to get my flat fixed and get the Old 10 speed back on the Road.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgrunner

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 24, 2015, 09:26:11 am
Cool I need to get my flat fixed and get the Old 10 speed back on the Road.

riding is great for the body.

DeltaBoy

Yes but my SR year Daughter is keeping me in the poor house.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Hogsmo Kramer

It's Friday baby, get out and ride this weekend!!!

No excuses!!!

McKdaddy

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on November 13, 2015, 01:40:25 pm
It's Friday baby, get out and ride this weekend!!!

No excuses!!!

Amen.

Done.....intervals an hour ago. Group ride tomorrow.  Pre-church Z1 & Z2 ride on Sunday.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: McKdaddy on November 13, 2015, 03:27:10 pm
Amen.

Done.....intervals an hour ago. Group ride tomorrow.  Pre-church Z1 & Z2 ride on Sunday.

That a boy!

I rode last Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, and gonna hit it tomorrow too.

Trying to get in as much as I can before it gets stupid cold.

Thanks goodness for an understanding wife!!! :)

McKdaddy

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on November 13, 2015, 07:20:18 pm

Trying to get in as much as I can before it gets stupid cold.

+1

hawgrunner

Got a few rides in over the weekend and yes believe it or not here in Southern Cal it was a little on the cool side... upper 30's when I started the ride. I guessing for Christmas need a few upgrade to my cycling gear.

hawgrunner

https://youtu.be/1F6AmmT2X7c

How to dress for cold weather riding.

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on December 21, 2015, 10:25:00 am
Got a few rides in over the weekend and yes believe it or not here in Southern Cal it was a little on the cool side... upper 30's when I started the ride. I guessing for Christmas need a few upgrade to my cycling gear.

The wind was nasty in Tulsa for our Saturday & Sunday rides....just brutal.  Felt like I was riding in slow-motion when my turns to pull came.  What I intended to be Z1&2 HR rides ended up being more work than planned. 

HawgPilot

anyone on here ever bought any Enve carbon wheels?

McKdaddy

Quote from: HawgPilot on December 23, 2015, 07:21:01 pm

I've not.

hawgrunner

Quote from: HawgPilot on December 23, 2015, 07:21:01 pm

sorry me neither.

hawgrunner

from today's Christmas eve ride...

HawgPilot

Thanks for your responses.  My wife bought me a new TT bike for Christmas and Im stoked to get recovered and ride it.

HawgPilot

Quote from: hawgrunner on December 24, 2015, 07:50:45 pm
from today's Christmas eve ride...

Beautiful, John!  I think i may be taking a trip to Carlsbad in February and if so, Id love to meet up with you

hawgrunner

Quote from: HawgPilot on December 26, 2015, 04:58:29 pm
Beautiful, John!  I think i may be taking a trip to Carlsbad in February and if so, Id love to meet up with you

You bet... Sent me a PM if things work out, I'll be around.

HawgPilot

I got released from my Dr yesterday to begin cycling on the trainer!  I can begin cycling again on January 13.  I'm stoked!!

Outoftownhog

Got an Elite trainer for Christmas can't wait to try it out

McKdaddy

Quote from: Outoftownhog on December 29, 2015, 02:39:11 pm

+1

I'm sincerely jealous of those that are training via an indoor trainer. I have a Cyclops Fluid2 trainer and don't use it as much as I should. Thankfully my gym offers "performance" spin classes focused on winter training for cyclists. If it did not I imagine I'd use the trainer more, but I wouldn't like it! Ha! I need the motivation from our instructor and the expectation from my peers to show-up for class.

Outoftownhog

Rode a little tonight it will take some time getting use to but I think I'm going to like it

HawgPilot

Quote from: Outoftownhog on December 29, 2015, 02:39:11 pm

Awesome!  I have one that I have not been able to use much, yet.

Outoftownhog

Rode tonight and 30 minutes wore me out

root_hawg

Question guys, my wife wants to start riding for exercise but she wants to ride outdoors, road stuff, any recommendations on bikes for her I should look at?

hilljack

Quote from: root_hawg on December 31, 2015, 06:41:35 am
Question guys, my wife wants to start riding for exercise but she wants to ride outdoors, road stuff, any recommendations on bikes for her I should look at?

What kind of riding is she wanting to get into?  Knowing what her goals/desires will make bike selection easier.  STAY AWAY from big box store bikes, they can be dangerous and uncomfortable.  Best advice is to check out a bunch of local bike shops to figure out what size and type of bike will best suit your needs.  That being said...  Giant/Liv makes an excellent and reasonably priced bike with woman specific geometry.

Good luck with the search.   

McKdaddy

First ride of 2016 today....felt good to finally be on the bike again after a week of not being able to due to Xmas traveling. The Garmin 520 has been a good device....but anything would be an upgrade from my 500.

root_hawg

Thx Hill, she wants it to mainly road ride to get back into shape and then perhaps transition back to racing

McKdaddy

2nd ride of 2016 took my legs...they're wasted. Nobody else in our usual b-group showed today for our club ride, so I got stuck w/ the a-group. Ugh. As if a hard ride yesterday and intervals on Thursday wasn't enough for my typical cycling activity. I was hoping today for a nice, steady Z1&2 endurance ride. Double-ugh.

McKdaddy

Did an Indoor tri today at my gym. It was fun to do, though I'm sure a real triathlete would scoff.

"Swim" --
1/2 of our heat was walking in the pool, so I didn't feel like such a wuss. But that is hard on the feet! I'd like to look into some swim lessons, I think. That's a life skill I need to have anyway.

Bike --
The bike was comfortable for me, obviously, though I only finished 2nd in my heat. I went hard, given the previous 3 hard days prior to today.

Run --
I had a goal to run 1/2 of the 20 minutes on the treadmill, which I did. My run pace was 5.8, but my walk pace was slow at 3.5. In hindsight I should have run 60-70% of the 20 minutes instead of 50%.

Much respect to real triathletes!!

HawgPilot

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 03, 2016, 11:34:36 am
Did an Indoor tri today at my gym. It was fun to do, though I'm sure a real triathlete would scoff.

"Swim" --
1/2 of our heat was walking in the pool, so I didn't feel like such a wuss. But that is hard on the feet! I'd like to look into some swim lessons, I think. That's a life skill I need to have anyway.

Bike --
The bike was comfortable for me, obviously, though I only finished 2nd in my heat. I went hard, given the previous 3 hard days prior to today.

Run --
I had a goal to run 1/2 of the 20 minutes on the treadmill, which I did. My run pace was 5.8, but my walk pace was slow at 3.5. In hindsight I should have run 60-70% of the 20 minutes instead of 50%.

Much respect to real triathletes!!

Great job McKdaddy! Do you plan to do an outdoor tri this year?  If you live here in Ar, there is an annual tri event in Russellville on July 4th.   Super low key, there aren't even any bib numbers issued.  Basically, its a short practice that raises money for local non profit. 

McKdaddy

Quote from: HawgPilot on January 03, 2016, 02:56:43 pm
Great job McKdaddy! Do you plan to do an outdoor tri this year?  If you live here in Ar, there is an annual tri event in Russellville on July 4th.   Super low key, there aren't even any bib numbers issued.  Basically, its a short practice that raises money for local non profit. 

I don't know, HP. I think I'd like to try a short Tri in the Tulsa area. But I feel like I'm still a newb in cycling and should continue to focus on improvements there with what limited times I have to train, rather than spreading my available training times amongst swimming and running also. We'll see.

I have reached out to my gym regarding some swim lessons, since that is a life skill that I should be better at regardless. To date, my "swimming ability" would be a freestyle stroke while holding my breath over a short distance when racing the kids across the pool....but I don't have down the bilateral breathing thing w/ the freestyle stroke. So I'd like some lessons to help me learn that and refine my freestyle technique, which I'm sure is pretty poor.

Once that is done I could begin to incorporate swimming into my gym routine, then go from there on whether or not I want to actually do a Tri.

Thanks for the Russellville heads-up.

Hogsmo Kramer

Got a new ride for Christmas! :)

DeltaBoy

Bike Riding is always good.

McKdaddy

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 07, 2016, 10:02:10 am
Bike Riding is always good.

^^^^^

A buddy and I try to ride weekly on Sunday mornings at 6am.  Yeah, that's early, which is good in the summer but sucks in the colder times of the year.  We meet so early b/c it gives us ample time to ride 28 miles, eat breakfast w/ our families, get ready for and make it to church on time.  I'm an early riser but don't like being so cold that early in the morning.  But to Delta's point, once I'm out there and the body warms up a bit, I'm happy to be on the bike.