Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Hog Defense

Started by redleg, January 12, 2018, 09:33:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

January 12, 2018, 09:33:25 am Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:48:34 am by redleg
I know this has been done a thousand times, but I enjoy it. With Coach Chavis stating that our base defense will be a 4 man front, here is who I think might earn the starting jobs for Arkansas by Game 1 of the 2018 season, and their back-ups...:

DE - #3 jr. McTelvin Agim 6'3" 285, #7 soph. Briston Guidry 6'3" 280
DT - #41 jr. Austin Capps 6'4" 310, #90 sr. Armon Watts 6'5" 315
DT - #52 jr. TJ Smith 6'3" 300, #42 soph. Jonathan Marshall 6'4" 310
DE - #40 jr. Jamario Bell 6'5" 255, #6 jr. Gabe Richardson 6'4" 250
SLB - #10 sr. Randy Ramsey 6'4" 235, #4 soph. Alexy Jean-Baptiste 6'2" 235
MLB - #8 jr. DeJon Harris 6'0" 245, #44 rfr. Kyrei Fisher 6'1" 240
WLB - #23 sr. Dre Greenlaw 6'0" 230, #33 soph. Dee Walker 6'2" 225
LCB - #11 jr. Ryan Pulley 5'11" 195, #32 rfr. Jordan Curtis 5'11" 190
RCB - #1 soph. Chevin Calloway 5'10" 190, #14 jr. Britto Tutt 6'1" 185
SS - #9 sr. Santos Ramirez 6'2" 205, #22 soph. Deon Edwards 6'1" 210
FS - #2 soph. Kamren Curl 6'1" 195, #21 rfr. Montaric Brown 6'0" 190

I feel that Curl is better suited to play safety, and that Coach Chavis will move him there. I am not 100% on the back-ups, as I really don't know who will be there, especially at any of the LB positions or at CB.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Tick Hog

If we can stay healthy we have a chance to be good. I think we could use a dominant DT to help out but from what I understand we're on a few good ones.

Bacons Rebellion

I've learned I can predict a lot about our defense from who's playing nickel back.

tophawg19

that list has few SR's and good back up's behind them. there is plenty to work with in the two deep . just need experience to build depth. we need help at DE and LB . A JR college guy would help big time but that JR class is already big and Loaded . We need some young players getting PT
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

SemperHawg

I'm interested what happens with Jamario Bell... We have been hearing what a freak athlete he is but never made it out of the #UnCommon dog house.  Will we finally get to see him realize his potential?

HogginUp

Quote from: redleg on January 12, 2018, 09:33:25 am
I know this has been done a thousand times, but I enjoy it. With Coach Chavis stating that our base defense will be a 4 man front, here is who I think might earn the starting jobs for Arkansas by Game 1 of the 2018 season, and their back-ups...:

I feel that Curl is better suited to play safety, and that Coach Chavis will move him there. I am not 100% on the back-ups, as I really don't know who will be there, especially at any of the LB positions or at CB.
Thanks for putting this together.

Flrazrback

Good work, I'm excited to see what Coach Chavis is able to do with our players. They deserve to shine

Tsarcasm

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on January 12, 2018, 09:57:35 am
I've learned I can predict a lot about our defense from who's playing nickel back.
i agree, most men that listen to nickle back tend to be soft. ;)
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." – Steven Wright

kaiserhog

Billy Ferrell, I predict will play.

The NewEra

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 12, 2018, 10:11:43 am
I'm interested what happens with Jamario Bell... We have been hearing what a freak athlete he is but never made it out of the #UnCommon dog house.  Will we finally get to see him realize his potential?

I was listening to a radio interview a month or so back with Kevin Richardson.  When asked about how the coaching changes might affect some of the returning players Kevin mentioned some of the guys in the dog house would likely be getting a second chance.  He implied there were several very talented players who didn't play because of that "dog house" of Bielema's.  It will be great to see who emerges as guys that should have been contributing, but weren't allowed to.

RaisinHog

Quote from: kaiserhog on January 12, 2018, 11:28:10 am
Billy Ferrell, I predict will play.

I would be surprised if he didn't redshirt

Kevin

I hope he uses ramsey as an end rusher
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on January 12, 2018, 09:57:35 am
Yeah, anytime I hear someone playing nickle back I walk away...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

bphi11ips

FOTH mentioned in another thread that Michael Taylor is one of the underutilized talents by the old regime. He had access to practices and clearly knows his football. Couple that with Richardson's comment and we are beginning to see that the best talent was not always on the field.  It seems to have been that way on the o-line as well.

Was the indifferent attitude we often seemed to see from the team in 2016 and 2017 the result of players having no confidence in the process itself?  Football is definitely a meritocracy. Players earn the right to be on the field through internal competition. They generally know who should be on the field. Players have to feel their hard work will pay off if they earn a spot. Coaches rightfully have the decision, but if the team doesn't believe the coaches are putting the best players on the field, that's a problem.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Atlhogfan1

The way football is played now, having a S with CB skills would be good as long as the ex-CB S can tackle well. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RaisinHog

I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor doesn't see alot of action on the weak side it was clear the 3-4 was not his friend ..

SemperHawg

Quote from: The NewEra on January 12, 2018, 11:34:28 am
I was listening to a radio interview a month or so back with Kevin Richardson.  When asked about how the coaching changes might affect some of the returning players Kevin mentioned some of the guys in the dog house would likely be getting a second chance.  He implied there were several very talented players who didn't play because of that "dog house" of Bielema's.  It will be great to see who emerges as guys that should have been contributing, but weren't allowed to.
Not on the defensive side of the ball obviously, but I would think LaMichael Pettway would be in this category as well.

Hogindasticks

Missin the boat, this dude will be on the field.....https://247sports.com/Player/Tyree-Wilson-46039131

bennyl08

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 12, 2018, 10:11:43 am

He has never really been in the doghouse.

He redshirted as a true freshmen as most true freshmen do. We lacked physicality at TE so in the spring after his redshirt year, he was moved to TE but was now playing a new position where we had a tone of depth. Shouldn't really come as a surprise that he didn't see the field there. Then, in his RsSo season, he was moved back to defense to play OLB in the spring, was really doing well and had set himself up to be a big factor and then was injured and out for the season before it began.

Plenty of reasons to dog Bielema, but Bell being in a doghouse isn't one of them.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 12, 2018, 12:55:39 pm
Not on the defensive side of the ball obviously, but I would think LaMichael Pettway would be in this category as well.

Possibly, but did you see how many drops he had early in the season? That'll put you in most any coach's doghouse when your #1 job is to be able to catch passes.

Hopefully he can improve in a similar way to Hatcher, but based on his play early in the season, he earned at least some time in the doghouse. He has very high potential and think he can be a great receiver for us, but he needs to be able to get open with his route running (at least early in the season he struggled with that even against lower quality teams) and he needs to drop soo many passes.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: RaisinHog on January 12, 2018, 12:47:10 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor doesn't see alot of action on the weak side it was clear the 3-4 was not his friend ..

He and some other likes have immense pass rushing potential. He should have tried to stay at OLB. 3-4 DE gets in trouble in most schemes if he gets penetration into the backfield.

Combine that with being more experienced and he could be a breakout player for us this season for sure.

bennyl08

I think Guidry will stay inside. He's incredibly explosive and fast for an inside rusher, but for an edge rusher is going to struggle.

DE: Agim, Bell
DT: Capps, Marshall OR Watts
DT: Guidry OR Smith,
DE: Taylor, Porter,

SLB: Richardson OR Ramsey, Fisher, AJB
MLB: Harris, LaFrance OR Walker
WLB: Greenlaw, Henry OR Morgan, Paul

CB: Pulley, Curtis,
CB: Challoway, Tutt,
NB: Curtis, Miller, Curl
SS: Ramirez, Brown OR Edwards
FS: Curl, Smith OR Hernanez

Gabe could be asked to put on weight and move to DE. TJ Smith is one of the players that was really helped by going to the 3-4. He's an ideal 3-4 DE, but is a bit of a tweener in a 4-3.

hawgmasta

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 12, 2018, 03:02:00 pm
I think Guidry will stay inside. He's incredibly explosive and fast for an inside rusher, but for an edge rusher is going to struggle.

DE: Agim, Bell
DT: Capps, Marshall OR Watts
DT: Guidry OR Smith,
DE: Taylor, Porter,

SLB: Richardson OR Ramsey, Fisher, AJB
MLB: Harris, LaFrance OR Walker
WLB: Greenlaw, Henry OR Morgan, Paul

CB: Pulley, Curtis,
CB: Challoway, Tutt,
NB: Curtis, Miller, Curl
SS: Ramirez, Brown OR Edwards
FS: Curl, Smith OR Hernanez

Gabe could be asked to put on weight and move to DE. TJ Smith is one of the players that was really helped by going to the 3-4. He's an ideal 3-4 DE, but is a bit of a tweener in a 4-3.

I agree as I would also like to see Guidry on the inside because he seems to naturally be around 285-295ish and move quick for that size.

Would anyone else like to see Agim lose 15-20 pounds since we're moving back to a four man front? I think his explosiveness and endurance would increase, 270ish is plenty big for a 4-3 end.

TNRazorbacker

I expect we'll still suck. We don't have the horses to field a good SEC D. I do hope to see some marginal improvement tho. With Chavis's experience he should know enough to at least have an extra body in the way occasionally.

lakecityhog

Agim---------Composite 5*
Guidry-------Composite  4*
Capps--------Composite 4*
Bell-----------Composite 4*
Smith--------Composite 3*
Marshall-----Composite 3*
Watts-------Composite 3*
Hall----------Composite 3*
Taylor-------Composite 3*

Let's see, a 5* followed by 3 (4*) and the rest are all 3* recruits and we have no SEC talent??? Right!

I think maybe we did not have good enough leadership!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 13, 2018, 10:34:02 am
Agim---------Composite 5*
Guidry-------Composite  4*
Capps--------Composite 4*
Bell-----------Composite 4*
Smith--------Composite 3*
Marshall-----Composite 3*
Watts-------Composite 3*
Hall----------Composite 3*
Taylor-------Composite 3*

Let's see, a 5* followed by 3 (4*) and the rest are all 3* recruits and we have no SEC talent??? Right!

I think maybe we did not have good enough leadership!
i keep screaming it. We have 27 4*s on this team and all the rest are 3*s. We have WAY more talent than a lot of people think.

Chevin Calloway, composite 4*. Montaric Brown, composite 4*. Bumper Pool, composite 4*.... there's plenty more where that came from.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Flrazrback

Agreed, we had a coaching deficit, not a lack of skill for the most part.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 12, 2018, 12:55:39 pm

Playing like London Crawford puts you in the dog house

lakecityhog

Dude, you need to take a couple of Midol and wait for the cramps to subside!

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: The NewEra on January 12, 2018, 11:34:28 am

Bielema might've been lulled into a stupor by JL's assurances that we are not a "win at all cost" program. 

I'll bet you, that at his next stop (if he has one) he'll remember that winning actually does come first for a coach.  And you only make it more difficult to do that with a half dozen of your most talented players on the sidelines, permanently.

Most SEC teams put a sinner on the sideline for one game, if that.  BB banishes his sinners for "life," it seems.

hawgmasta

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 13, 2018, 01:18:30 pm
Playing like London Crawford puts you in the dog house

I'm glad London ended his career the way he did because that's all I remember now.

Jonbo

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 12, 2018, 02:49:43 pm
Possibly, but did you see how many drops he had early in the season? That'll put you in most any coach's doghouse when your #1 job is to be able to catch passes.

Hopefully he can improve in a similar way to Hatcher, but based on his play early in the season, he earned at least some time in the doghouse. He has very high potential and think he can be a great receiver for us, but he needs to be able to get open with his route running (at least early in the season he struggled with that even against lower quality teams) and he needs to drop soo many passes.

Yeah, regarding Pettway, I have an interest in him as he's from my area. We were all familiar with him coming out of high school. I watched him have several chances early in the year. He pretty much botched all of them, clearly wasn't mentally ready. One of our local "experts" who'd followed him in high school thought he was a little slow, too, but I don't know about  that. I think he probably just needs to settle down mentally and perform. I think last year, however, he earned his doghouse status through on field failure and we can't blame "Burt".

Coach Bret had very few highlights in hs tenure here.  Even a very dumb coach who tried hard, would get something right by luck of the draw.  I mean even a blind Hog will still gather a few acorns.

Most of the things that were WRONG about our team was by plan.  Maybe it wasn't planned intentionally to be wrong, but the executed plan, though worked to perfection, was just totally wrong for the betterment of the team.  After enduring 5 years of Bret, I can easily see why he didn't keep assistants, might have disliked some players and most of all why when given the authority to make decisions alone, he failed nearly every time.