Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why did Bielema allow himself to sink with Kurt Anderson?

Started by Pork Ranger, November 19, 2017, 08:09:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Ranger

Was it because he knew this season was his last and he's gonna ride off into the millionaire sunset at the end?

I just can't figure out why he never fired him..

Thoughts?

elksnort

Maybe he became too much of a buddy with him?
One thing I think was key to CBB's success was having at very least a grade B offensive line.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on November 19, 2017, 08:09:09 am
Was it because he knew this season was his last and he's gonna ride off into the millionaire sunset at the end?

Thoughts?

My belief is he was assuming the already aweful O-line Kurt inherited wasn't a fair judgement in season one.

Your correct in thinking why didn't he just dismiss him because BB had no problems in 2012  firing Mike Markuson after just 2 games.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

jgphillips3

I have wondered that same thing.  He canned Markusun game 2 when he needed a scapegoat.  He could have curried some limited favor making that change early this year.  Apparently they are buddies though.

Cowtown Hog

An equally mysterious question, why would Long allow himself to sink with BB?

Pork Ranger

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 19, 2017, 08:18:29 am
I have wondered that same thing.  He canned Markusun game 2 when he needed a scapegoat.  He could have curried some limited favor making that change early this year.  Apparently they are buddies though.

Yeah if he would have fired him after USCe and taken over the O line himself people would have had some respect for that. But he just allowed the wheels to come completely off because he knew he was about to get PAID. JMO

Sundog

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on November 19, 2017, 08:09:09 am

Thoughts?

The record of CBB makes it clear that we cannot assume Bret has good football sense...Along with the 4th and 2 call yesterday.
He does not have good football sense and makes football decisions as if he has a calcified brain (or a boatload of guaranteed money).
They are all gone very soon.

" GO HOGS "

Tortfeasor

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 19, 2017, 08:18:29 am

By the way things played out here, I wouldn't doubt that Alvarez was the puppet master and CBB the puppet. Doesn't seem like CBB has it in him.

grassroothog

As a crew foreman, I always have one or two guys that want to 'buddy up'. Nothin doin. If you don't cut the mustard then you are gone. Any coach should have the same policy with his assistants.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: grassroothog on November 19, 2017, 08:29:28 am
As a crew foreman, I always have one or two guys that want to 'buddy up'. Nothin doin. If you don't cut the mustard then you are gone. Any coach should have the same policy with his assistants.

Agreed. Bosses aren't supposed to be besties with their subordinates

The NewEra

I don't think it was just Kurt Anderson.  If Bielema can be believed the RB Coach Mitchell told him last week that Hammonds who only had three touches at the time basically should sit in lieu of the other two running backs.  Bielema essentially allowed himself to be overruled by the same coach he supposedly demanded put Hammonds in the previous game. 

There are too many inconsistencies with what Bielema says.  After listening to him for five years I believe he has been way too involved in the actual play calling on offense and the other position groups on the team.  The guy I thought was a CEO coach a few years ago has in my mind turned out to be a micro manager.  I think the same has applied to the O-Line and don't think for a second I'm giving Anderson a pass on his performance.  I'm not.

My point is, I think Bielema has sunk himself.  As the ship has started to sink I think he's become even more involved in the details of everything and as a result we don't know how good of a coaching staff we do have.  What I have seen though is Bielema loves to tinker and he always thinks he's the smartest guy in the room.  He has a distaste for playing younger players over less skilled but more senior players.  The list goes on, but he's been the one drilling holes in his own boat.

Calling All Hogs

Bielema's ability to get and keep quality coaches went down quickly and consistently during his time here. No sure how good of a replacement for Anderson he could have gotten.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: The NewEra on November 19, 2017, 08:32:36 am
I don't think it was just Kurt Anderson.  If Bielema can be believed the RB Coach Mitchell told him last week that Hammonds who only had three touches at the time basically should sit in lieu of the other two running backs.  Bielema essentially allowed himself to be overruled by the same coach he supposedly demanded put Hammonds in the previous game. 

There are too many inconsistencies with what Bielema says.  After listening to him for five years I believe he has been way too involved in the actual play calling on offense and the other position groups on the team.  The guy I thought was a CEO coach a few years ago has in my mind turned out to be a micro manager.  I think the same has applied to the O-Line and don't think for a second I'm giving Anderson a pass on his performance.  I'm not.

My point is, I think Bielema has sunk himself.  As the ship has started to sink I think he's become even more involved in the details of everything and as a result we don't know how good of a coaching staff we do have.  What I have seen though is Bielema loves to tinker and he always thinks he's the smartest guy in the room.  He has a distaste for playing younger players over less skilled but more senior players.  The list goes on, but he's been the one drilling holes in his own boat.

I agree completely. I've thought for a very long time he's been way too active in offensive play calling.

swineology

Spot on

+1000

It'll be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Pack your bags Bert

Bkhardicars

The mor I see from BB, the more I believe Alvarez was/is the reason for their success. I think he keeps a super tight reign on things. I bet it was Alvarez that fired Markuson. As for Andersons Hiring, I think BB 's ego was so big that when Pittman left he still believed he could hire anyone and still be offensive line U because he was the reason they were offensive line U. Hiring an NFL assistant to the assistant coach sure did blow up in his face...

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Cowtown Hog on November 19, 2017, 08:20:45 am

I think the primary reasons were he reasoned that the basketball, track and baseball programs were solid; from the outside looking in the athletic department was on solid financial footing; he made strong a relationship with the Chancellor; and reduced the booster's influence in decisions related to athletics.

Unfortunately that means he never really understood the dynamic he was facing from day one.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on November 19, 2017, 08:26:27 am
The record of CBB makes it clear that we cannot assume Bret has good football sense...Along with the 4th and 2 call yesterday.
He does not have good football sense and makes football decisions as if he has a calcified brain (or a boatload of guaranteed money).

" GO HOGS "

This is true.  To many weird calls over five years for it not to be.  The man just doesn't understand the game at a very fundamental level.

jackflash

PorkRinds

There wasn't anyone in line to take his place. At whisky he had options.

Kevin

these five years pretty much prove that cbb was alveraz's puppet. And assistants leaving was not about position or money. I don't think people like to work for him.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hoggish1

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on November 19, 2017, 08:35:46 am
Bielema's ability to get and keep quality coaches went down quickly and consistently during his time here. No sure how good of a replacement for Anderson he could have gotten.

He said he couldn't keep 'em at WI cause he couldn't pay them there.  But we have seen that he really couldn't keep them (proved at AR) cause he wouldn't let them coach.

Hawgphish

Quote from: Bkhardicars on November 19, 2017, 09:02:09 am
The mor I see from BB, the more I believe Alvarez was/is the reason for their success. I think he keeps a super tight reign on things. I bet it was Alvarez that fired Markuson. As for Andersons Hiring, I think BB 's ego was so big that when Pittman left he still believed he could hire anyone and still be offensive line U because he was the reason they were offensive line U. Hiring an NFL assistant to the assistant coach sure did blow up in his face...
this is it

Pecos Hog

Quote from: Pork Ranger on November 19, 2017, 08:09:09 am

Thoughts?

Ask yourself, who could we have found to replace him?

UA1985

First question is why did he hire an ASST to the o-line coach (albeit at the NFL level) to take full control of our o-line? That was foolish. Once he made that blunder, the last thing he wanted to do was admit Anderson was an abject failure. Further complicating things: he was hurt by Pittman's departure and did not want to do anything that would suggest Pittman was hard to replace. So, he held on to Anderson for a second year when he should have been canned after the first season. Huge mistake.

kodiakisland

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

regi

hamARchy in the USA

Wasn't it reported at the time Anderson was hired that he was recommended by Enos ?

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Cowtown Hog on November 19, 2017, 08:20:45 am

With the contract that he appears to have written himself he probably thought he had the upper hand.  How that happened should be carefully scrutinized ... for an out.

hawgon

There is an easy way to explain Bret Bielema.  He is an idiot.  It is that simple.  He isn't smart.  Once you realize that, everything makes sense.  Why do we not make halftime adjustments? Because he is dumb and not capable of making good quick decisions.  Why does he make such poor game decisions?  See above.  Why does he evaluate talent poorly?  Because he is dumb.

Why position did the guy play?  Defensive line.  What position on the field requires the least thinking?  Defensive line.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Pork Ranger on November 19, 2017, 08:09:09 am

Thoughts?

I think Bielema's reputation precedes him.  What he is as a HC and his failure at Arkansas is obvious to the world of college football.  No quality assistant coach wants to get into that mix of horsesheit.

GoHogs1091

He went with Bielema to at least 1 Justin Moore concert.

I presume it is tough to fire a concert buddy/companion.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on November 19, 2017, 08:26:27 am

" GO HOGS "

this is basically my assessment. it's hard to imagine but, i can't see a conclusion any better based on all things available.

i contribute a large part of his football acumen to laziness.
The rest of the frog.

BigoBoys

A couple of things to consider.

Last year we had the SEC leading rusher.
In Anderson's last year in the NFL, the Bills led the league in rushing. 

Hogsolo

Yesterday did look very Bielema-esque in the play calling.   It appeared to me Coach Enos had a mandate to stuff a RB into the middle every first and second down. 

hogginbama

Quote from: IAMHogholio on November 19, 2017, 03:14:17 pm
Yesterday did look very Bielema-esque in the play calling.   It appeared to me Coach Enos had a mandate to stuff a RB into the middle every first and second down.

What gets me is when watching Bama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn.....when that middle run is stuffed, their RBs cut to the outside. Our guys duck their head and ram it up a lineman's ass for the 1-3 yard loss. No cut to the outside, left or right.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Cale

Quote from: Pork Ranger on November 19, 2017, 08:30:46 am
Agreed. Bosses aren't supposed to be besties with their subordinates
You can be close with the people that work for you. If you can't that's your problem as a leader, not the employees. You have to be able to seperate work and play. If someone isn't doing their job you have to have to the balls to tell them they need to do better. Buddy or not. That's what separates winners from losers.
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

grayhawg

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on November 19, 2017, 08:35:46 am

ChitownHawg

I said this in another thread, but dovetails with your points. The first few years Sam kept saying we were not recruiting enough offensive linemen.  Now CBB is whining this. He should have listened to the guy who has the reputation of being a good Oline coach.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"