Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Only way to improve is replace some assistants and Recruit better

Started by Lanny, September 24, 2017, 07:34:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on September 24, 2017, 09:22:53 am
We lost our leverage when Long penned that contract.

Hunker in the bunker, it's about to get bumpy.

The Chancellor and the system President signed the contract extension, too. The RF had to ok it as well.

ballz2thewall

lanny,

the objective evidence is in. one can infer [subjectively] that after 5 years, the best way to improve is to get a new head coach.

the best evidence is the OL. second best evidence is the defense.

cbb admits to giving assistants wide latitude. we've had time for water to find its level given the terrain of the arkansas football environment.

the OL continues to struggle for air and shows no sign of progression. it is in a state of regression.

the dynamic of the head coach, his coordinators and position coaches is ineffective.

it is unlikely that the assistants and position coaches are entirely inept given 1) the 5 year time span, and 2) the consistent level of under performance, and 3) several coaching changes with no real advancement.

the formula does not work. it is faulty.

as to human relations between the head coach, delegatees and players, it is obviously not such that inspires good football, what ever it may be.

The rest of the frog.

hog911

Quote from: Lanny on September 24, 2017, 07:34:52 am
Recruiting has been horrendous.  Arkansas has not had a defense the past ten years under any coach.  There are no playmakers on defense and few on offense.  The only way to get out of this mess is to recruit better.  Stop wasting time in Florida, recruit North Louisiana, Southern Missouri and Texas.  Forget about firing Bielema with that buyout it won't happen.

Recruit Recruit Recruit.
completely agree!!!!

PorkRinds

davehog

I agree 100%.

Due to both financial reasons (large $ buyout) and the fact that firing a head coach only exasperates the problem in the long run as far as program health, CBB is not going anywhere. Nor should he. 

But, getting rid of assistants does not have detrimental multi-season effects that the "burn it to the ground" firing of a head coach does.  Jeff Long knows this. 

If CBB really is a self-preservationist he's already got a list of who needs to go.  We all know who's #1, 2 and 3 on this list.  If I were him I would deliver that ranking to the coaches on the list and remove them from active recruiting duties today.  End of the season or before that point, you're gone.  There's no changing that.  Keep it confidential so as to not cause further division. 

Also, with the right assistant coach hires recruiting can take a significant upswing immediately. 

Concentrate on the long term recruiting areas that we have the highest likelihood of being able to consistently, long term win some battles -  Arkansas, Louisiana, eastern OK, DFW, Memphis, Missouri.  Forget putting resources in areas that are not consistent winners - Florida, Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama.

It's on CBB the CEO head coach to make the right decisions. I'm very curious as to whether he will actually do it.

Lanny

Quote from: ballz2thewall on September 24, 2017, 09:29:45 am
lanny,

the objective evidence is in. one can infer [subjectively] that after 5 years, the best way to improve is to get a new head coach.

the best evidence is the OL. second best evidence is the defense.

cbb admits to giving assistants wide latitude. we've had time for water to find its level given the terrain of the arkansas football environment.

the OL continues to struggle for air and shows no sign of progression. it is in a state of regression.

the dynamic of the head coach, his coordinators and position coaches is ineffective.

it is unlikely that the assistants and position coaches are entirely inept given 1) the 5 year time span, and 2) the consistent level of under performance, and 3) several coaching changes with no real advancement.

the formula does not work. it is faulty.

as to human relations between the head coach, delegatees and players, it is obviously not such that inspires good football, what ever it may be.

There will not be a coaching replacement with that buyout.  So ask yourself with the current situation where do you go? 
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

hoglady

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on September 24, 2017, 09:02:01 am
I thought it was well known and accepted on this board by most that recruiting had improved significantly under CBB and was the best it has been since joining the SEC.

All you got to do is look on the field and know that's a load.
Where's the speed, the strength, the playmakers??
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: ricepig on September 24, 2017, 09:28:05 am
The Chancellor and the system President signed the contract extension, too. The RF had to ok it as well.

Yes at the behest and recommendation from Long.

Regardless who penned it or who signed it the day it was done our leverage was gone.

That's business 101, never get into an agreement you can't get out of if shite hits the fan.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Kevin

I think the defense has some nice young talent.
just need more of it, or play the younger guys.

like to see calloway, Guidry on the field more. 

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: Lanny on September 24, 2017, 09:34:19 am
There will not be a coaching replacement with that buyout.  So ask yourself with the current situation where do you go? 

I agree with Lanny.  The buyout is too high.  I don't see a coaching change possible until 2019 or 2020 unless another team comes a calling.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

ricepig

The buyout, assistant coach's contracts to be paid, and the more than likely buyout of the new coach push it towards $20m, there isn't a change being made this year outside of one of our posters hitting the Powerball and wasting it on the buyouts.

ballz2thewall

i agree. that is why i think jeff long will be moving on. a new AD will be brought in with orders to have a foot on cbb's throat, more or less.

what we need initially is an AD that coached and is willing to meddle.
The rest of the frog.

hoglady

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 24, 2017, 09:32:19 am
I'm convinced that recruiting is NOT the problem.

Agree to an extent - but we do lack playmakers.
Or if we have them they aren't getting the ball.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HognotinMemphis

Recruiting has been horrendous.  Arkansas has not had a defense the past ten years under any coach.  There are no playmakers on defense and few on offense.  The only way to get out of this mess is to recruit better.  Stop wasting time in Florida, recruit North Louisiana, Southern Missouri and Texas.  Forget about firing Bielema with that buyout it won't happen.

Recruit Recruit Recruit.
And Oklahoma. You are right about recruiting being the main problem. You can say you will correct all of these errors and problems in practice after every week's debacle, but you still have same quality level of players, the same deficiencies at various positions and you are practicing/scrimmaging against same quality level of players. They practice well against themselves and wonder why they do not do well in games. I can clue them in: We do not have anyone like Christian Kirk to practice against. We do not have a D line like A&M has to practice against. Of course we practice well against C grade players.

Find a recruiter who can invade Texas and we'll get better almost overnight.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogtilicus

Our O-line problems began when Pittman left. We need new O-line and special teams assistants.

ricepig

Quote from: hogtilicus on September 24, 2017, 09:49:09 am
Our O-line problems began when Pittman left. We need new O-line and special teams assistants.

We'll get a special teams coach in January, hopefully he is a great recruiter. I'm not holding out hope for one, though.

I agree with Lanny that we could use better recruiting and recruiting in locations that produced in the past at a better level.  I also believe BAMA could recruit better and needs to do so.  REMEMBER, BB is in charge of where we recruit and who we take if available.

What we have is the HC that impedes the assistants and the players.  We are not getting anywhere close to the production out of the players we have, that they have got to offer.  I fully realize he isn't going anywhere but he could be moved out of the way by putting him in Administration.  That won't happen but it should.

Many of the assistants that have come through our revolving door since BB has been HC, were doing pretty good before they got here and many are back to producing after they left, think Chaney taking the MSU defense apart last night on national TV.  Most on here, including me, didn't think he could coach.  Well, he can but why not here??

And Rice, I agree that many folks had to approve of the BB hiring and the contract.  After Long hired Petrino who did produce, then fired Petrino for foul play to put mildly, and the entire NCAA put Long on top of the AD world, our administration believed he could do no wrong.  It was made totally clear that AD Long would hire the next HC, period, and I would submit that he did.  Remember, immediately after the hire, Long was the talk of college for many months, got a couple of raises to please not leave us and most every media head said that was the hire of the week, month, year, maybe even the century. 

Back to BB.  Since BB isn't leaving, another way he could help his own team is to at least take ownership of it.  Coming directly from the Tulsa World:  "If they can fight that way for four quarters the rest of the year they're going to be all right."  What about if WE can and WE will be alright.  It is his team even though it shouldn't be.

lakecityhog

Here is the problem with BB firing assistant coaches and hiring more---BB will do the hiring and his track record is horrible to say the least.

Steef

Recruit Recruit Recruit.

SIAP

The players we currently have, reflect what our current coach believes we need.

If "recruit better" is the answer, then "get someone else to pick the recruits" would have to come first.

tophawg19

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 24, 2017, 07:47:40 am
I have one way. I look at recruiting class rankings.
so by your logic Texas , Florida , Florida State and USC should be top 10 teams every year . There is more to it. Fit is more important than ranking . You could sign the #1 player at every position but if they don't fit , you don't win.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Porkys Revenge

If our team would have developed as much in the past year as CBB's belly, we'd be in good shape. But apparently, walking around the BAC in flip flops, while eating jelly sandwiches and listening to reggae music, isn't motivating our players. 

tophawg19

Quote from: hoglady on September 24, 2017, 09:36:24 am
All you got to do is look on the field and know that's a load.
Where's the speed, the strength, the playmakers??
they are there but are young . Hayden , T.j and J.j all have the speed as does warren and Barnes but all are young and learning. On defense we are sitting some very talented but inexperienced kids
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

carolinahogger

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 24, 2017, 10:08:06 am
so by your logic Texas , Florida , Florida State and USC should be top 10 teams every year . There is more to it. Fit is more important than ranking . You could sign the #1 player at every position but if they don't fit , you don't win.

Sounds like a good answer for Arkansas Football Jeopardy. 

What are 4 football programs which have historically far exceeded Arkansas?

But of course, stars don't matter.  And it is truly ridiculous to say that "fit" is more important than athletic talent.

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on September 24, 2017, 10:03:49 am
I agree with Lanny that we could use better recruiting and recruiting in locations that produced in the past at a better level.  I also believe BAMA could recruit better and needs to do so.  REMEMBER, BB is in charge of where we recruit and who we take if available.

What we have is the HC that impedes the assistants and the players.  We are not getting anywhere close to the production out of the players we have, that they have got to offer.  I fully realize he isn't going anywhere but he could be moved out of the way by putting him in Administration.  That won't happen but it should.

Many of the assistants that have come through our revolving door since BB has been HC, were doing pretty good before they got here and many are back to producing after they left, think Chaney taking the MSU defense apart last night on national TV.  Most on here, including me, didn't think he could coach.  Well, he can but why not here??

And Rice, I agree that many folks had to approve of the BB hiring and the contract.  After Long hired Petrino who did produce, then fired Petrino for foul play to put mildly, and the entire NCAA put Long on top of the AD world, our administration believed he could do no wrong.  It was made totally clear that AD Long would hire the next HC, period, and I would submit that he did.  Remember, immediately after the hire, Long was the talk of college for many months, got a couple of raises to please not leave us and most every media head said that was the hire of the week, month, year, maybe even the century. 

Back to BB.  Since BB isn't leaving, another way he could help his own team is to at least take ownership of it.  Coming directly from the Tulsa World:  "If they can fight that way for four quarters the rest of the year they're going to be all right."  What about if WE can and WE will be alright.  It is his team even though it shouldn't be.

Wrong, he was told to change the culture by the administration, you or I may not have liked it, but he didn't just pluck him out of thin air.

http://www.neilcornrich.com/search?q=Jeff+Long

ND

Recruit Recruit Recruit.

Yes.  Texas, Texas, Texas.  Historically, many of our winning teams had a strong Texas background.  If I was Bielema, I'd buy houses in Houston, San Antonio and Dallas, live there in the off-season, start camping out on practice fields and knocking on as many doors as I could.

N

buldozer

Recruiting is a tough nut to crack. The easiest way to increase the quality of player recruited to change the head coach and assistants. If you rule that out, then the only way I know to make gains with this staff might be to spend more money specifically on recruiting. We spend significantly less on recruiting than the teams who have the top classes in the SEC and our geographic location dictates that we should be spending more not less. I'm not talking $50M here, we only spend around $1M a year as I recall, so for $2M or so we can at least be competitive with the other top programs. This could only help, no way spending more makes us worse.

houhog1967

Lots of talent in Houston.  Proven players in the past for the Hogs! 

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hoglady on September 24, 2017, 09:48:39 am
Agree to an extent - but we do lack playmakers.
Or if we have them they aren't getting the ball.

Nance, Hayden and Hammonds are gane changers. O'Grady just need more reps.

Nouston Hutt

He's been here 5 years and one of our biggest weakness is O-line which is supposed to be his specialty. Lanny give it up bro. We're getting rid of this dude at the end of the year. He can't coach, He can't recruit. Wisconsin is winning without him man. He was winning there with a weak schedule and couldn't win the big games. You know that....He's a good guy, he is not the coach we need at the U of A to compete or even be close to Bobby or get us in an SEC championship game like Houston. This is a down year in the SEC and we suck. Come on, lets all be real. It aint working

IronHog

Recruit Recruit Recruit.

BPs teams gave more than 28 points only 5 times in his last 26 games.

That's not elite defense but it's not bad.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

wachhog

And that speaks volumes--about priorities or brain matter.

Danny J

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 24, 2017, 09:10:35 am
Over the last 20 years we have pretty consistently recruited right at a #25 team ranking and against MANY of the teams that we play we have just as much athletic ability.

Did we get out-talented yesterday? I don't think so! We got out-coached and out-coached badly. I think that most junior high defensive coaches would tell you that if they are facing a freshman QB that their game plan would be to put him under duress with blitzes from different places and to disguise coverages to confuse him. Not us!

Guys, did Toledo have us on talent? Texas Tech? Virginia Tech? Missouri? TCU?  Texas A&M 5 times in a row???  No, all of those games were winnable with our talent! We were out-coached and it is not hard to see, all you have to do is open your eyes.

Why do you think Sumlin played for the tie at the end of regulation? Because he looked across the field and KNEW that if he got it to overtime that he could win the coaching battle.
Great post

wachhog

Quote from: davehog on September 24, 2017, 09:32:21 am
I agree 100%.

Due to both financial reasons (large $ buyout) and the fact that firing a head coach only exasperates the problem in the long run as far as program health, CBB is not going anywhere. Nor should he. 

But, getting rid of assistants does not have detrimental multi-season effects that the "burn it to the ground" firing of a head coach does.  Jeff Long knows this. 

If CBB really is a self-preservationist he's already got a list of who needs to go.  We all know who's #1, 2 and 3 on this list.  If I were him I would deliver that ranking to the coaches on the list and remove them from active recruiting duties today.  End of the season or before that point, you're gone.  There's no changing that.  Keep it confidential so as to not cause further division. 

Also, with the right assistant coach hires recruiting can take a significant upswing immediately. 

Concentrate on the long term recruiting areas that we have the highest likelihood of being able to consistently, long term win some battles -  Arkansas, Louisiana, eastern OK, DFW, Memphis, Missouri.  Forget putting resources in areas that are not consistent winners - Florida, Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama.

It's on CBB the CEO head coach to make the right decisions. I'm very curious as to whether he will actually do it.
I don't know about the program but it certainly exasperates me.
As to upgrading assistant coaches, it looks to me Ike nobody with other options wants to work for him.

Danny J

Quote from: ricepig on September 24, 2017, 09:40:21 am
The buyout, assistant coach's contracts to be paid, and the more than likely buyout of the new coach push it towards $20m, there isn't a change being made this year outside of one of our posters hitting the Powerball and wasting it on the buyouts.
If we go 4-8 or worse CBB will be gone after this year. If you wanna do like last time just pm me.

PS...sorry to hear about your mother.

ND

Yeah, typically, the Foundation is not involved in the politics of these decisions.  "Yes, we have the money," or "No, we don't have the money," is normally the limit of their involvement.  The Chancellor, AD and Board of Trustees is where the decision making takes place ...normally.

N

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 24, 2017, 08:46:46 am
A little better doesn't do you any good when just about everyone you play has far more talent.

Yet you yourself mentioned recruiting class rankings. Therefore a little better should result in a little better record. So far that hasn't happened so it shows it isn't because of recruiting rankings the records haven't improved. So there must be another reason............I'll give you three guesses but one should suffice.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Danny J on September 24, 2017, 11:46:07 am
If we go 4-8 or worse CBB will be gone after this year. If you wanna do like last time just pm me.

PS...sorry to hear about your mother.

Ok, I'm not sold on him staying on finishing 4-8, either, but I'd like to think we finish better than that, lol. I'll give it a few more weeks and let you know.

Steef

We've had musical assistants since Bret got here. Either he can't pick 'em, or he can't work with 'em.

Either way, it's a little late to be changing them AGAIN. That would just mean we have to wait another 2-3 years to since if the new batch of assistants might work out.

Changing assistants now, without changing the head coach... I just don't see the benefit.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on September 24, 2017, 09:02:01 am
I thought it was well known and accepted on this board by most that recruiting had improved significantly under CBB and was the best it has been since joining the SEC.

True it has improved but not significantly only a little better. Therefore there must be another thing that is the problem.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawgzinbowlz

We competed yesterday...
The football culture that CBB has developed is not competitive in all our games (Auburn 16', Mizzou 16' and VT 16')...and others.
Improved recruiting may help remedy this if CBB leads the change from the top...I don't see that and will buckle up, hold on and wait until the next guy arrives.
A new coach will bring renewed hope and surely won't have our program in worse shape than we are seeing now.
Buyout = Hang on for a couple more years as the problems continue to mount...

We do need to have an offense that includes more spread...We caught A&M with an extra guy on the field when we went into our offensive formation in a hurry up and got the ball snapped...And Sumlin was not happy.

" GO HOGS "

Danny J

Quote from: ricepig on September 24, 2017, 11:50:01 am
Ok, I'm not sold on him staying on finishing 4-8, either, but I'd like to think we finish better than that, lol. I'll give it a few more weeks and let you know.
Ok...I will be here lol. I am also not sold we go 4-8 or worse but based on what I have seen thus far it is far more likely than 7-5. I think 5-7 is probably a safe bet and depending on how we lose those 5 games will determine what happens after that.

As mentioned after last week it wouldn't shock me to see a mutual buyout renegotiation along with a statement from CBB after the season that he wants to spend more time with his new family. I could see him going to work for ESPN or SECn for a year or two. It really depends on how we finish. I remember all the threads about CMA after the losses to Vandy and Mizzou last year so anything could happen

Inhogswetrust

September 24, 2017, 12:00:11 pm #91 Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:06:45 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Steef on September 24, 2017, 10:06:13 am
SIAP

The players we currently have, reflect what our current coach believes we need.

If "recruit better" is the answer, then "get someone else to pick the recruits" would have to come first.

Good point. IF someone has recruited at a fairly consistent level then that level is not going to suddenly get better with them in charge of it, unless something fishy starts going on.

Letsroll1200

What's frustrating to me is the play and the personnel pf the offensive line. I'm not a head coach but I can see that Gibson strengths are better suited for guard.

Coach B boasted about Wallace during the bye week but never allowed the kid to see the field. If this staff can get some consistency on the line than we can return to Hog ball. This staff want to be right more than they want to win.

Redhogs

Quote from: Steef on September 24, 2017, 11:50:30 am
We've had musical assistants since Bret got here. Either he can't pick 'em, or he can't work with 'em.

Either way, it's a little late to be changing them AGAIN. That would just mean we have to wait another 2-3 years to since if the new batch of assistants might work out.

Changing assistants now, without changing the head coach... I just don't see the benefit.
Thank you.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Pigstie

Recruit Recruit Recruit.
I agree Lanny with the addition of the fact that we need to start recruiting a more mobile qb. Nothing against AA. However defenses in this league are just too fast. If you don't have a SEC caliber OL, you need a qb that can use his feet to get you out of bad situations and keep these defenses honest.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

1highhog

Recruit Recruit Recruit.

Lanny, do you remember Truman as president with the slogan on his desk that said, The buck stops here!  Well, in this case BB is Truman and firing assistants isn't  going to fix the problem.  It's going to take a full cleaning of the house.  I know it's not going to happen after this season but next season could be a very good possibility.  For those thinking that Long is the real root of the problem that may be but he's not going anywhere for the for see able future.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: ND on September 24, 2017, 11:47:41 am

Yeah, typically, the Foundation is not involved in the politics of these decisions.  "Yes, we have the money," or "No, we don't have the money," is normally the limit of their involvement.  The Chancellor, AD and Board of Trustees is where the decision making takes place ...normally.

N

sorry to sound nitpicky, but you couldn't be more wrong with this binary description.

the cat with the pocket is the decision maker all the way through the process. it is a king-maker dynamic.
The rest of the frog.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Steef on September 24, 2017, 11:50:30 am

yes. ditto.
The rest of the frog.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Pigstie on September 24, 2017, 12:21:21 pm
I agree Lanny with the addition of the fact that we need to start recruiting a more mobile qb. Nothing against AA. However defenses in this league are just too fast. If you don't have a SEC caliber OL, you need a qb that can use his feet to get you out of bad situations and keep these defenses honest.

yes. and we need to go for mobility even IF we had a stellar OL.
The rest of the frog.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hawgphish on September 24, 2017, 08:04:12 am
Recruit better?  That is easier said than done.  UA may be the hardest sell in the SEC West based on geography alone.  And the addition of Texas AM and Missouri to the SEC has made it even more difficult.  Young players simply do not want to go far from home.  Combine that with our record over the past five years.  Also, high school players are immersed in spread passing offenses and off season passing leagues and we offer a contradictory offensive philosophy.  Not to mention how few high school players the state of Arkansas produces each year that can play at the SEC level.  Recruit better....good luck.

This is the very reason you need a coach who can do more with less because he's going to have less.  Petrino is one of those guys and so is Patterson but Bielema is not. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.