Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

He May Not Be the Guy

Started by NaturalStateReb, September 23, 2017, 04:36:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalStateReb

But in a lot of ways Bret Bielema has been good for Arkansas. He seems like a fairly decent guy, and just because it didn't work out here doesn't mean he can't be successful elsewhere. However it turns out, wish him the best.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 23, 2017, 04:36:32 pm
But in a lot of ways Bret Bielema has been good for Arkansas. He seems like a fairly decent guy, and just because it didn't work out here doesn't mean he can't be successful elsewhere. However it turns out, wish him the best.

I REALLY like Bret.  He has done a lot for our program.  People don't understand what bad shape our program was in when he got here.  A lesser coach could have never brought us up out of that.

That being said...he has lost me.

I respect the guy, but I don't believe he can get us there. 

I wish him the best, but it is time for him to go.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

However, I do not feel the same way about Jeff Long.

Fire him right now.

Retired Radio Host

hoghearted

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 23, 2017, 04:39:31 pm
I REALLY like Bret.  He has done a lot for our program.  People don't understand what bad shape our program was in when he got here.  A lesser coach could have never brought us up out of that.

I get the negative publicity we went through, and the recruiting nightmare of JLS. Better grades, okay. No off the field drama from players, sure.

What exactly did he do, that most other coaches couldn't?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

grayhawg

Bret is the John Pelphrey of football.

Redhogs

Don't care anymore, care about the future of the football program...and it does not include him.  Bert..just please go away..anywhere away from here....
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

SugarHillGaHog

I'm not ready to give on coach or this team yet.  The end of the season is different story.  We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Con el Cerdos

UU, I don't know how one could get any lesser in job performance than what we've had to endure.  The academic side is OK but the football side is looking an awful lot like the early to mid 90s.  And you're right, it's time for someone new.

majp51

Quote from: hoghearted on September 23, 2017, 04:41:44 pm
I get the negative publicity we went through, and the recruiting nightmare of JLS. Better grades, okay. No off the field drama from players, sure.

What exactly did he do, that most other coaches couldn't?

Look at the absolute Dumspter Fire Louisville was till Charlie Strong got there.

Regardless of what you think of CBP as a coach, he uses specific types of players which for the most part do not properly translate to other coaches. That being said, Year 4 and 5 lost me, because at that point even the Curse of CBP's recruiting is no longer a real issue.

ThisTeetsTaken

I don't know that our football program was in as bad a shape as people say it was when Bielema got here.  It sure wasn't a  3-9 kinda shape.  Petrino left him some good players. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on September 23, 2017, 04:50:42 pm
UU, I don't know how one could get any lesser in job performance than what we've had to endure.  The academic side is OK but the football side is looking an awful lot like the early to mid 90s.  And you're right, it's time for someone new.

These team...the players, the recruits, the whole atmosphere of the program was a wreck.  He came into a situation that was a death trap.  We lost 2 years in recruiting, and a third was damaged by the one year of JLS.  I was proud of the job he did, and a weaker minded coach could not have pulled that off.  He had a strong steady hand and put things in order.  I am proud of the job he did to resurrect this program.

However, I don't believe he is the man to take us any further.  We are what we are, and will be just this, as long as he is here.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 23, 2017, 04:56:38 pm
I don't know that our football program was in as bad a shape as people say it was when Bielema got here.  It sure wasn't a  3-9 kinda shape.  Petrino left him some good players. 

Hey man, I've got to run...mark this and I will respond later.  I think there are some interesting things to discuss concerning this.  Talk soon.
Retired Radio Host

farmhawg

Bs, it wasn't the mess everyone says, the only mess was long with smiley.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Atlhogfan1

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/sec-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2013

"Arkansas
Opposing coaches size up the Razorbacks: 

"They are going to be terrible. What they are doing now, it's the product of bad recruiting. They have a long way to go. That's nothing against the new coach (Bret Bielema). But they are going to be terrible in Year 1." ...
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

I think if we would make a change now a foundation is there for the next coach to have some early success. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

LRrazorback

Dumb comment. We're much worse now than 5 years ago.  He's brought us down, we can't afford another year of CBB.

31to6

Results are all that matter.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: 31to6 on September 23, 2017, 06:20:10 pm
Results are all that matter.

Agree, and that's why his time is limited.

It's pretty hard to get "the man" to take over a program at Arkansas' level in as bad a shape as it was after JLS. Bielema isn't the man, but maybe he's the man that got the program back in good enough shape internally to hire the man.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

TheJoeyBucketz

Imo, he's been phenomenal in every aspect except the W's.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

RebHog

I agree a good guy and he actually confronted the Oline after Allen chewed them for over a quarter...It gave us a spark...things that should have been happening long before now. I wish him the best elsewhere.

farmhawg

Quote from: golf2day on September 23, 2017, 06:31:14 pm
Only if you believe what comes out of his mouth. He has no credibility so believe all you want.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Danny J

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 23, 2017, 05:05:58 pm
I think if we would make a change now a foundation is there for the next coach to have some early success.
Yep...we have some players to win more than we are. Hire the right guy and who knows...

Tortfeasor

The biggest problem on offense the last 2 seasons has been the OL. Make a change at that coaching position. Look, if you expected us to be great on D the first of running a new scheme you were delerious. We are what we are right now but will get better.

HardCore

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 23, 2017, 04:40:52 pm
However, I do not feel the same way about Jeff Long.

Fire him right now.

I will volunteer to help load the Uhaul on that one
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

JackTNHogfan

"He may not be the guy..."

I'm sorry Sir, but he IS NOT the guy.  There is no may not be to it.  He is Nutt 2.0 without the rah rah.  Additionally, I'm not sure how he was good for Arkansas.  Was it because he didn't wreck his Harley with his mistress on the back?  Is it because he listens to Reggae music and he has made football fun again?  I'm sorry but I don't see how he has done anything good for Arkansas except spend some of his wealth here in state.  Wins matter and we certainly don't have anywhere near enough of those.  In my opinion, the national media likes him because he is capable of saying dumb stuff at any minute to make headlines and because he keeps Arkansas where they belong in their eyes, the cellar...  He can't leave fast enough!

Tim

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 23, 2017, 05:04:51 pm
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/sec-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2013

"Arkansas
Opposing coaches size up the Razorbacks: 

"They are going to be terrible. What they are doing now, it's the product of bad recruiting. They have a long way to go. That's nothing against the new coach (Bret Bielema). But they are going to be terrible in Year 1 5." ...
Fixed that for you

jackflash

if we make a change and I don't think we will. Who says we get someone better?

JOKERHOG

Quote from: JackTNHogfan on September 23, 2017, 06:45:50 pm
"He may not be the guy..."

I'm sorry Sir, but he IS NOT the guy.  There is no may not be to it.  He is Nutt 2.0 without the rah rah.  Additionally, I'm not sure how he was good for Arkansas.  Was it because he didn't wreck his Harley with his mistress on the back?  Is it because he listens to Reggae music and he has made football fun again?  I'm sorry but I don't see how he has done anything good for Arkansas except spend some of his wealth here in state.  Wins matter and we certainly don't have anywhere near enough of those.  In my opinion, the national media likes him because he is capable of saying dumb stuff at any minute to make headlines and because he keeps Arkansas where they belong in their eyes, the cellar...  He can't leave fast enough!

I want a bada$$ coach who everyone else hates.  Who does his talking on the field.  Kinda like the guy we have before
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

hobhog

Nice guy. Not right fit as our coach. Please don't ever wear a sweatshirt on sideline again.

Thank you

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Tim on September 23, 2017, 06:45:54 pm
Fixed that for you

Wasn't my quote.  And you didn't fix it.  We were in year 1.  To fix it you should have edited to 1 and 5. 

JackTNHogfan

Quote from: JOKERHOG on September 23, 2017, 06:48:24 pm
I want a bada$$ coach who everyone else hates.  Who does his talking on the field.  Kinda like the guy we have before

I don't care if he is a likable guy or a jerk.  I just want wins without cheating to get them. 

TNRazorbacker

I like BB, I really do. I like the way he's run the program and that he's genuine. He didn't come here to lose and Im sure the failure bothers him at least as much as us.

I just don't think its going to work out. What he's done isn't working and I think he's in over his head. Time to start planning the separation. 

I think he'll hand off a program much healthier than he received. Hoping he'll make a move himself in the offseason to get back to the B1G. Thats where he belongs I think. I will wish him and his family well.

jkstock04

What ways exactly has he been good for Arkansas? I'm curious.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

farmhawg

Quote from: jackflash on September 23, 2017, 06:46:20 pm
if we make a change and I don't think we will. Who says we get someone better?
Always a losers mentality.
From theflyinghog

Hook 'em Hogs

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 23, 2017, 07:02:46 pm

He's recruited to our normal level if not a little better. He has added stability.  I know everyone laughs at credibility, integrity and character and that sort of thing, but it matters.  I believe Bielema has built a solid foundation. I just don't think he can get the staff/coaching we need to get over the hump. Whoever comes in after Bielema will have a much better shot of being successful than Bielema did. It's okay to believe that Bielema has given his very best to the program and the state even if he has fallen short.  He hasn't been lazy. He hasn't been a jerk. Bielema has been a good middle man for a time period between dumpster fire JLS and our next hire. 

For the record, if he's given another year, I hope he makes us all eat crow.  Good luck Coach B.

Hook 'em Hogs

Quote from: farmhawg on September 23, 2017, 07:06:21 pm
A loser just calls people losers. What is your answer to this question?  I'd love to see Gary Patterson. You? 

johnny cash

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 23, 2017, 07:02:46 pm
catfish hole. Buffets.

TNRazorbacker

Agree, but it is worth being conscious of. When your mediocre it can get worse easier than it can get better.

Hook 'em Hogs

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on September 23, 2017, 07:00:10 pm
I like BB, I really do. I like the way he's run the program and that he's genuine. He didn't come here to lose and Im sure the failure bothers him at least as much as us.

I just don't think its going to work out. What he's done isn't working and I think he's in over his head. Time to start planning the separation. 

I think he'll hand off a program much healthier than he received. Hoping he'll make a move himself in the offseason to get back to the B1G. Thats where he belongs I think. I will wish him and his family well.

+1!  Spot on!!!!

Hook 'em Hogs

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on September 23, 2017, 07:15:07 pm
Agree, but it is worth being conscious of. When your mediocre it can get worse easier than it can get better.

I am way impressed with your logic.

JackTNHogfan

Exactly. 

The next guy could be worse.  That is a fact.  So what, at least we would be in a new marriage trying to get better versus stuck in a rut afraid to make a change for fear that we cannot get anything better.

bigmac3378

I'll go against the grain and say I like Bret. I'm not happy with the current direction, but I'd rather give him another year or two instead of trying to rebuild yet again.

ifghog

I really like Coach a lot and really wanted him to succeed. He did too no doubt...it just isn't gonna happen. Not sure why his coaching method didn't take but it didn't. I wish him and his family the absolute best.

ICEman

Ok, he is a good guy! Let's say we keep him, what pathway has he placed us upon in order to have success in 2018, 2019 and beyond?
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Tim

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 23, 2017, 06:53:12 pm
Wasn't my quote.  And you didn't fix it.  We were in year 1.  To fix it you should have edited to 1 and 5.
I did.  And it was a joke.  Lighten up francis. 

Oklahawg

I can go along with this.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

codeHog

I like so much of what he did for us....but now he is just to heavy

Pig Worshipper

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you like the play?

I like Coach B but he has not gotten it done here. I wish him well at his next coaching destination.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: LRrazorback on September 23, 2017, 05:09:14 pm
Dumb comment. We're much worse now than 5 years ago.  He's brought us down, we can't afford another year of CBB.

In terms of W and L. But CBB has built a foundation. I'm in the construction business, you don't want your concrete guy building your house. The next guy will have something to build on. It won't be like when BP left when we had guys not making in to campus or guys transferring out after a year or two.

He's obviously not the guy but he's done some good things for us. Unfortunately they haven't been on the field.

Youngsta71701

Man crush? I like him too. As a person. Just curious.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"