Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Curious about Will Gragg

Started by Piggfoot, February 18, 2017, 09:26:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

Will he break into meaningful PT next season? If so where?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

FANONTHEHILL

I have to say that based on resume', if you would have told me that Austin Cantrell would be the biggest contributor in the 2015 TE signing class, I would have been shocked.  Gragg and O'Grady were the names we all were the most excited about.  We saw flashes from O'Grady late in the year and at the bowl and I'm told he's have a great 8 week training session this spring. Also Grayson Gunter had a great freshman year before his shoulder gave out and Patton will be coming in this summer. TE will be a strength as usual.

Will Gragg is a special talent.  He really beeds to assert himself this spring.  We look at recruiting classes and expect guys to come in and contribute immediately.  That's not always the case.  At the banquet last fall, Coach Bielema addressed the team and was very straight forward.  He told true freshman that redshirted, you've seen how it's done and he told the redshirt freshman that, they've seen a year and dressed out a year.  It's time to step up.  This is aimed directly at guys like Gragg.  I hope he steps up and takes his place.  He's a tremendous talent.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Deep Shoat

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 18, 2017, 09:43:17 am
I have to say that based on resume', if you would have told me that Austin Cantrell would be the biggest contributor in the 2015 TE signing class, I would have been shocked.  Gragg and O'Grady were the names we all were the most excited about.  We saw flashes from O'Grady late in the year and at the bowl and I'm told he's have a great 8 week training session this spring. Also Grayson Gunter had a great freshman year before his shoulder gave out and Patton will be coming in this summer. TE will be a strength as usual.

Will Gragg is a special talent.  He really beeds to assert himself this spring.  We look at recruiting classes and expect guys to come in and contribute immediately.  That's not always the case.  At the banquet last fall, Coach Bielema addressed the team and was very straight forward.  He told true freshman that redshirted, you've seen how it's done and he told the redshirt freshman that, they've seen a year and dressed out a year.  It's time to step up.  This is aimed directly at guys like Gragg.  I hope he steps up and takes his place.  He's a tremendous talent.
In your mind, as of today, is there any chance he moves down to OT?
All Gas, No Brakes!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 18, 2017, 10:08:10 am
In your mind, as of today, is there any chance he moves down to OT?
None at all.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Deep Shoat

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 18, 2017, 10:21:43 am
None at all.
Thanks.  When we were recruiting him, many people thought that was his more natural position.
All Gas, No Brakes!

IrishShenanigans69

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 18, 2017, 12:53:05 pm
Thanks.  When we were recruiting him, many people thought that was his more natural position.

Gragg???  Maybe you're thinking of Cantrell.  Gragg was more WR-frame, no way he could bulk up for OL

ricepig

Quote from: IrishShenanigans69 on February 18, 2017, 02:39:30 pm
Gragg???  Maybe you're thinking of Cantrell.  Gragg was more WR-frame, no way he could bulk up for OL

I'm thinking your thinking of O'Grady.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on February 18, 2017, 02:43:18 pm
I'm thinking your thinking of O'Grady.

I'm thinking you both are thinking of Jason Peters

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

IronMountainHog

Overhyped through recruiting services and given the benefit of the doubt because his brother was a great hog and made it to the NFL. He has had a redshirt year and also last year to emerge in practice, etc. Even Jack Krause plays ahead of him. So at best he is 5th string behind Cantrell, O'Grady, Gunter, Krause, and now Patton. I was a big fan of his in high school and was very happy that he showed loyalty and signed with us being from in state. That being said, he needs to hit the weight room or follow the lead of these others because he is getting left behind.

King Kong

For comparison Jeremy Sprinkle had 4 catches at this point in his Arkansas career

FANONTHEHILL

None of us know what the future holds for Gragg, but definitely don't give up on him.  We always want these incoming guys to go out and make an impact immediately, but developing players and them not being forced to make an impact for the first couple years is a sign of strength.  It means you've developed depth. It's not a weakness.  He's got three years left to contribute.  As I mentioned in my post above, Coach Bielema has let some guys know that it's time to step up.

aloha_kid

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 18, 2017, 04:00:45 pm
I'm thinking you both are thinking of Jason Peters

Nah I think it was Matt Jones ... wait, he's a tight end.  LOL

ballinhog

As a southeast Arkansas guy and Monticello in particular (where Gragg lived and went to school some before high school) I really hope he has a great career as a hog. But to be honest when I watched his highlight tape, I didn't think he looked very fast or athletic at all. Honestly I kept asking myself why he was so sought after because I definitely thought O'Grady and Cantrell both looked quite a bit better.

Heres one where I really really hope I am wrong and get made to look like an idiot because I would LOVE to see him be a big time player

Pig in the Pokey

not only that but koilan jackson is already a huge reciever. that dude is very dangerous and if he can put on 20 pounds without losing speed he'd be a young gronk.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Beavthompson

Why shocked? Cantrell was an amazing athlete playing both ways. He played every position in high school. He reminded me of the linebacker that got into trouble and transfered to ASU and then got kicked off the team. He  would have 100+ yards receiving and 15 tackles. Kids a beast.
Say no to drunk posts! Unless its a great idea!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Beavthompson on February 19, 2017, 12:11:05 am
Why shocked? Cantrell was an amazing athlete playing both ways. He played every position in high school. He reminded me of the linebacker that got into trouble and transfered to ASU and then got kicked off the team. He  would have 100+ yards receiving and 15 tackles. Kids a beast.
Wasn't meant to be a knock on Austin at all.  In my eye, I thought O'Grady and Gragg were more conventional TEs and Austin was more of an H-Back/FB hybrid player.  I thought Austin might be on the field in that capacity with the other two at a true TE. As you mentioned, if Austin wasn't contributing at TE, he would be a beast at LB/DE.  He's an amazing athlete.  Didn't make my point clearly.  Should have said pleasantly surprised, not shocked. Thanks for pointing that out.

Foshodo

Quote from: aloha_kid on February 18, 2017, 10:45:15 pm
Nah I think it was Matt Jones ... wait, he's a tight end.  LOL

Mallett was the Tight End...

870rzrback

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 18, 2017, 05:08:18 pm
None of us know what the future holds for Gragg, but definitely don't give up on him.  We always want these incoming guys to go out and make an impact immediately, but developing players and them not being forced to make an impact for the first couple years is a sign of strength.  It means you've developed depth. It's not a weakness.  He's got three years left to contribute.  As I mentioned in my post above, Coach Bielema has let some guys know that it's time to step up.

It's not about him not making an immediate impact. It's about the players that are in front of him on the depth chart. You're right it's great to be able to develop behind upperclassmen, and he has 3 years left to contribute. But at the moment he is also behind at least 3 other players that all have 3 years left in front of him on the depth chart. And with Johnson cross training at TE might mean he gets in front of Gragg on the depth chart too. And if Bell learns the position well enough he's more athletic than any of them and may move up the list(though I wish with so much depth that he could move to OLB and be a stud in the 3-4). This spring the TE spot will be wide open and he has a chance to prove himself and move up or he could even move down the lineup

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: 870rzrback on February 19, 2017, 08:14:55 am
It's not about him not making an immediate impact. It's about the players that are in front of him on the depth chart. You're right it's great to be able to develop behind upperclassmen, and he has 3 years left to contribute. But at the moment he is also behind at least 3 other players that all have 3 years left in front of him on the depth chart. And with Johnson cross training at TE might mean he gets in front of Gragg on the depth chart too. And if Bell learns the position well enough he's more athletic than any of them and may move up the list(though I wish with so much depth that he could move to OLB and be a stud in the 3-4). This spring the TE spot will be wide open and he has a chance to prove himself and move up or he could even move down the lineup
I agree.This is exactly why it's time for him to step up.  He watched Hunter during his redshirt year and Sprinkle during his R-Fr year.  He's seen what it takes to get it done. If he's going to get on the field, he needs to assert himself in year three.
I also agree with you that Bell could be great in the 3-4 defense if he doesn't get in the TE rotation and returns to that side of the ball.  He's an absolute beast.

870rzrback

I honestly don't expect Gragg move up any this spring. I mean he will most likely jump Antwine on the depth chart and maybe Kraus but I'm not so sure about that. I think he goes into the fall 6th string. I think Patton gets the starting job eventually with Cantrell being number 2 and O'Grady kind of being a 2b, being Pattons back up and switching with Cantrell situationally. And Kraus and Gunter being the back ups there.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Beavthompson on February 19, 2017, 12:11:05 am

I actually felt the same way about Cantrell. I remembered how much Richard Davenport went on and on about his size and speed. I read halfway expecting Cantrell to emerge as a top TE in this group.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 19, 2017, 11:09:54 am
I actually felt the same way about Cantrell. I remembered how much Richard Davenport went on and on about his size and speed. I read halfway expecting Cantrell to emerge as a top TE in this group.
I remember what Richard had written and that's why I was thinking of Austin (mentioned in the post above) more an "H".  Part TE and FB and maybe even a short yardage TB. He's an amazing athlete. 

bennyl08

Eh, I feel like you shouldn't have been. CBB has a history of using TE's than can do both blocking and catching.

Coming in, it was pretty well known that O'Grady was the best receiver of the group, but chances were low that he had much experience blocking and so his ability to pick that up was going to the be the biggest factor in him seeing the field. Gragg was the blocking TE who showed good hands when catching the ball, but lacked the YAC or explosion of either of the other TE's. Cantrell, otoh, was the most balanced of the TE's. He didn't look as good in the receiving game as O'Grady, but looked a lot better than Gragg. He didn't look as good in the blocking game as Gragg, but looked a lot better than O'Grady.

Gragg was the most highly recruited of the bunch. However, they were all 4* players. Cantrell was a 4*/92 prospect, O'Grady a 4*/94, and Gragg a 4*/90. When you consider that they were all highly regarded coming out of HS and Cantrell was the the most prepared from day 1 to block and contribute in the passing game, I would have been more surprised if he wasn't the most used early on.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 20, 2017, 03:35:18 pm
Eh, I feel like you shouldn't have been. CBB has a history of using TE's than can do both blocking and catching.

Coming in, it was pretty well known that O'Grady was the best receiver of the group, but chances were low that he had much experience blocking and so his ability to pick that up was going to the be the biggest factor in him seeing the field. Gragg was the blocking TE who showed good hands when catching the ball, but lacked the YAC or explosion of either of the other TE's. Cantrell, otoh, was the most balanced of the TE's. He didn't look as good in the receiving game as O'Grady, but looked a lot better than Gragg. He didn't look as good in the blocking game as Gragg, but looked a lot better than O'Grady.

Gragg was the most highly recruited of the bunch. However, they were all 4* players. Cantrell was a 4*/92 prospect, O'Grady a 4*/94, and Gragg a 4*/90. When you consider that they were all highly regarded coming out of HS and Cantrell was the the most prepared from day 1 to block and contribute in the passing game, I would have been more surprised if he wasn't the most used early on.
I thought Austin would be more of a H-FB than anything else.  I incorrectly assumed that would detract from his numbers.  I based that on the physicality of his film and what he did on the defensive side.  Young man loves contact.  Of the three, he's definitely worked the hardest and grown the most.  I've seen O'Grady since he was a sophomore QB at Fayetteville.  He moved to TE before his junior season.  Blocking is worlds better than in HS, but still needs work.  I always thought of him as more of a slot/wing guy you could try to exploit in mismatches in the open field.  Gragg  has all the tools and just needs to get it done this spring. 

I totally agree with you that in what we all called a great TE class, Cantrell is by far the cream of the crop so far.
Coach Enos ran some three TE sets where they ran some plays in tight and some in the spread.  I hope to see some of that this coming season.  Adding Patton to the mix will make it even more interesting.

King Kong

Quote from: 870rzrback on February 19, 2017, 09:54:20 am
I honestly don't expect Gragg move up any this spring. I mean he will most likely jump Antwine on the depth chart and maybe Kraus but I'm not so sure about that. I think he goes into the fall 6th string. I think Patton gets the starting job eventually with Cantrell being number 2 and O'Grady kind of being a 2b, being Pattons back up and switching with Cantrell situationally. And Kraus and Gunter being the back ups there.

He is in the same spot as Sprinkle was his RS FR year. He should stick at his point. He is better doing that and trying to graduate in 3 years so he doesn't lose a year of eligibility

bennyl08

Quote from: King Kong on February 20, 2017, 03:57:24 pm
He is in the same spot as Sprinkle was his RS FR year. He should stick at his point. He is better doing that and trying to graduate in 3 years so he doesn't lose a year of eligibility

In 2013, Sprinkle was still very undersized at 6'6 235 (listed). Hunter Henry for obvious reasons quickly jumped to the lead of the pack of TE's. Sprinkle ended up third to a former walkon in Loewen who was 270-ish pounds and later moved to the DL. However, Sprinkle still finished 2nd by a wide margin among TE's in receiving yards and was fifth overall among WR/TE's that year. I.e. he wasn't who they looked to as an every down TE, but he made his mark that year. In 2014, he was still only a reserve player as AJ Derby, another NFL TE came into the position in front of him. He still caught 7 catches for 84 yards that year. After Derby left and with ML on the other side of the ball and with Sprinkle caught up in size, He was then the #2 and this year the #1.

Contrast that to Gragg. Even in 2013, Sprinkle was 2nd only to TE as a target and still had his fair share of snaps. This year, Cantrell, O'Grady, and Gunter all had snaps while Gragg was nowhere to be seen. Further, Cantrell, O'Grady, and Gunter are all either in the same class or younger. Plus, Patton is coming in as well. Gragg was lacking in size, but made himself the 2nd TE for the passing game until he wasn't surrounded by better players and wasn't limited physically. Gragg isn't lacking in size. If he isn't getting playing time, it is because he isn't performing as well as the other players. If he isn't performing as well, either he doesn't have the skills, or he hasn't been developing them as well as the others. He still has time, but unlike Sprinkle, time isn't on his side. If he stays put and develops on schedule, he'll still be behind Cantrell and O'Grady and Gunter his senior year and possibly Patton as well. He is going to have to leap frog other players as it currently stands.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 20, 2017, 03:47:50 pm
I thought Austin would be more of a H-FB than anything else.  I incorrectly assumed that would detract from his numbers.  I based that on the physicality of his film and what he did on the defensive side.  Young man loves contact.  Of the three, he's definitely worked the hardest and grown the most.  I've seen O'Grady since he was a sophomore QB at Fayetteville.  He moved to TE before his junior season.  Blocking is worlds better than in HS, but still needs work.  I always thought of him as more of a slot/wing guy you could try to exploit in mismatches in the open field.  Gragg  has all the tools and just needs to get it done this spring. 

I totally agree with you that in what we all called a great TE class, Cantrell is by far the cream of the crop so far.
Coach Enos ran some three TE sets where they ran some plays in tight and some in the spread.  I hope to see some of that this coming season.  Adding Patton to the mix will make it even more interesting.

I remember reading about people talking Cantrell in the H-back position, myself included. However, in hindsight, when have we ever used such a position? How many teams total ever use a position like that? About the only example I can think of is Aaron Hernandez. Well, the more I think of it, Auburn uses that position as does Oregon. However, still, Auburn, Oregon, and Urban Meyer Florida. Common theme among those style of teams that is different from us.

If we need a FB, we don't often motion somebody into the position, we just sub out for a FB. If we want a TE, we get a TE. If we want a receiver, we get one of those. We have used Hatcher and Antwine to motion from out wide to a H-back or an in-line spot in order to be used as a blocker. Though, IIRC, we did that more under Chaney than with Enos.

FANONTHEHILL

They motioned Hunter and Sprnkle from end, to wing, to H/FB quite a bit.  Enos ran a lot of multiple sets are Central Michigan with three tight ends. Some in power and some in spread formations.  I think that things are.going be spread out a little more going forward. That's where I like Cantrell at H.  In multiple TE sets that actually end up with big slot receivers (Patton and O'Grady) with Austin staying in to help in pass pro then out into underneath routes.  It's going to be interesting to see what's installed this spring.

Oklahawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 20, 2017, 06:20:00 pm
They motioned Hunter and Sprnkle from end, to wing, to H/FB quite a bit.  Enos ran a lot of multiple sets are Central Michigan with three tight ends. Some in power and some in spread formations.  I think that things are.going be spread out a little more going forward. That's where I like Cantrell at H.  In multiple TE sets that actually end up with big slot receivers (Patton and O'Grady) with Austin staying in to help in pass pro then out into underneath routes.  It's going to be interesting to see what's installed this spring.

Isn't it great for your team to have workable parts to tinker around with and see what works?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 20, 2017, 06:24:15 pm
Isn't it great for your team to have workable parts to tinker around with and see what works?
Depth on the roster is a beautiful thing.

bennyl08

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 20, 2017, 06:20:00 pm

I can definitely recall it happening, but either we have different ideas on "quite a bit", I'm not remembering as much as I should, or a combination of the two. If we used it on <30% of plays, I'd argue that such is something we don't really use. If a player lines up at a position in <30% of their snaps, I'd say that player doesn't much line up there.

Sprinkle did it a bit more this season. However, we had a plethora of talent at WR, nobody proven outside of Sprinkle at TE, so why take Sprinkle off the field to line up Cantrell there?

Question for you? If all the TE's were to live up to their potential, where do you see that potential being? For example:

O'Grady: Definitely more in the Chris Gragg/DJ Williams mold. A bit bigger, but on the smaller/shorter side of TEs. Very dangerous in the passing game, will be forced in this offense to be at least adequate in the blocking game. NFL equivalent: Charles Clay.

Cantrell: Can't really think of anybody here that he compares to. Probably one of the more balanced TE's we've had in terms of blocking and receiving. Massive size and good speed for his size as well. NFL compL Martellus Bennett

Gragg: Big size, strong and a good blocker with soft hands. Not going to burn you for a lot of yards, but has a knack for getting open, particularly in zone and will make the tough catches. NFL comp: Tyler Eifert

Bell: Don't know much about him as a TE. His HS tape he looked better at DE than TE, IMO. When he was moved, we had a lot of DE's and few experienced TE's. Wonder if he gets moved back with the opposite our problem now. If not, his ceiling is that of a Gronk type TE. He has the size and strength to be good at everything a TE needs to do. Moreso than anybody else on our roster. Question is, can we turn this great athlete into a great positional player?

Kraus/Gunter: Nothing in either of these two guy's HS highlights really jumped out to me. I think they are both solid players. However, don't think either are going to play on Sundays. Having said that, Kraus has struggled with injuries so his lack of PT isn't necessarily a reflection of relative talent and Gunter was actually playing as a true freshmen over some of these other guys.

biglewhog77

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 20, 2017, 07:49:19 pm
I can definitely recall it happening, but either we have different ideas on "quite a bit", I'm not remembering as much as I should, or a combination of the two. If we used it on <30% of plays, I'd argue that such is something we don't really use. If a player lines up at a position in <30% of their snaps, I'd say that player doesn't much line up there.

Sprinkle did it a bit more this season. However, we had a plethora of talent at WR, nobody proven outside of Sprinkle at TE, so why take Sprinkle off the field to line up Cantrell there?

Question for you? If all the TE's were to live up to their potential, where do you see that potential being? For example:

O'Grady: Definitely more in the Chris Gragg/DJ Williams mold. A bit bigger, but on the smaller/shorter side of TEs. Very dangerous in the passing game, will be forced in this offense to be at least adequate in the blocking game. NFL equivalent: Charles Clay.

Cantrell: Can't really think of anybody here that he compares to. Probably one of the more balanced TE's we've had in terms of blocking and receiving. Massive size and good speed for his size as well. NFL compL Martellus Bennett

Gragg: Big size, strong and a good blocker with soft hands. Not going to burn you for a lot of yards, but has a knack for getting open, particularly in zone and will make the tough catches. NFL comp: Tyler Eifert

Bell: Don't know much about him as a TE. His HS tape he looked better at DE than TE, IMO. When he was moved, we had a lot of DE's and few experienced TE's. Wonder if he gets moved back with the opposite our problem now. If not, his ceiling is that of a Gronk type TE. He has the size and strength to be good at everything a TE needs to do. Moreso than anybody else on our roster. Question is, can we turn this great athlete into a great positional player?

Kraus/Gunter: Nothing in either of these two guy's HS highlights really jumped out to me. I think they are both solid players. However, don't think either are going to play on Sundays. Having said that, Kraus has struggled with injuries so his lack of PT isn't necessarily a reflection of relative talent and Gunter was actually playing as a true freshmen over some of these other guys.

Those are great comparisons and you've done your homework.  I think that most if the TE crew has a very high ceiling.  But I just haven't seen enough from each yet.  Cantrell's role was limited because he was behind Sprinkle, Gunter played in 12 games but primarily on special teams, O'Grady played in 7 games, Kraus 6 primarily special teams KO, Antwine 6 games, Gragg and Bell didn't see any game time.  Their roles were very limited. There's lots of talent, but with the exception of Cantrell, not much experience.  The great thing is that the group still has lots of time Cantrell, O'Grady, & Gragg are R-Soph and Gunter is a true soph.  With an offseason to develop and the addition of Patton this summer it will be interesting to see how the depth chart lines out.

FraggleHog

Calling the Hogs from DFW

oldman1015

He didn't like contact in high school. Anyone who watched him play for Dumas saw it. He is a great athlete but I'm assuming they hit harder in the SEC than they do in SE Arkansas high school. I hope he is working hard and getting stronger and will end up reaching his potential.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

DeltaBoy

I am pulling for him to have a great career as a Hog.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

onebadrubi

While I know it was never a liked opinion, I always was curious of his possibility of growing into an OT.  Of course it isn't attractive out of High School with the stud WR at the time playing on the Hill at that time along with his brother headed for the NFL as a TE, but he just never appeared to me to have the Chriss Gragg, Henry, Sprinkle type ability. 

At this point I assume if he doesn't start to crack playing time I think he might start to look else where.  Didn't he and/or his parents make a little noise last year about PT?

ballhogger

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 21, 2017, 09:05:35 am
While I know it was never a liked opinion, I always was curious of his possibility of growing into an OT.  Of course it isn't attractive out of High School with the stud WR at the time playing on the Hill at that time along with his brother headed for the NFL as a TE, but he just never appeared to me to have the Chriss Gragg, Henry, Sprinkle type ability. 

At this point I assume if he doesn't start to crack playing time I think he might start to look else where.  Didn't he and/or his parents make a little noise last year about PT?

I have also heard he is slightly lazy and a little entitled.  You can get away with that in high school but he is finding out you can no longer rely on talent.  I hope the best for the kid but in a good program sometimes guys get pushed to the back.

Virgil

Folks, keep in mind Patton isn't a shoe-in to start.  We've had our fair share of Juco's not pan out their first year.  I can think of two Juco lineman that redshirted last year.  He has great film but that doesn't always equate to being an SEC performer.  I do wish him well. 
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Virgil on February 21, 2017, 10:46:19 am
Folks, keep in mind Patton isn't a shoe-in to start.  We've had our fair share of Juco's not pan out their first year.  I can think of two Juco lineman that redshirted last year.  He has great film but that doesn't always equate to being an SEC performer.  I do wish him well.

It's safe to say Patton is expected to contribute this year.  We are bringing possibly the two highest ever rated JUCO's to Arkansas with Patton and Martin, or am I forgetting someone?

Grady did a little showing out over the middle in teh bowl game.  I'd expect it to be him and Cantrell to start off and Gradys job to lose in the spring.

Virgil

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 21, 2017, 10:48:15 am
It's safe to say Patton is expected to contribute this year.  We are bringing possibly the two highest ever rated JUCO's to Arkansas with Patton and Martin, or am I forgetting someone?

Grady did a little showing out over the middle in teh bowl game.  I'd expect it to be him and Cantrell to start off and Gradys job to lose in the spring.

I agree.  But Dom. Reed was also expected to come in and start and that didn't turn out that way.  He took most of his first year to get any significant playing time and then fell off the map this past year.  I'm just saying Juco's can take a while to get accustomed to big time football. 
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Virgil on February 21, 2017, 11:08:32 am
I agree.  But Dom. Reed was also expected to come in and start and that didn't turn out that way.  He took most of his first year to get any significant playing time and then fell off the map this past year.  I'm just saying Juco's can take a while to get accustomed to big time football.

While very true, Patton is rated in the top 10 nationally among JUCO while D reed was top 100, Patton is number 1 at his position and D reed was further down.  While, yes these are just subjective ratings, I believe they do carry a little weight.

Either way, Patton has some help around him from a competition stand point as well as some talent at the position if he does require some time. 

Piggfoot

Quote from: ballhogger on February 21, 2017, 09:50:14 am
I have also heard he is slightly lazy and a little entitled.  You can get away with that in high school but he is finding out you can no longer rely on talent.  I hope the best for the kid but in a good program sometimes guys get pushed to the back.
Interesting you say that. His Dad was in High School administration in Dumas I believe.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.