Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can Brandon Allen be the next Tom Brady?

Started by snoot hoggy hog, February 16, 2017, 10:16:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

snoot hoggy hog

I know this article doesn't compare the two, but Allen has an eerily similar path to TB. He was never fully appreciated in college, not picked until the sixth round, and he's playing behind someone that was drafted as the future of the franchise ala Bledsoe. This is the right recipe to put some fire in Allen's gut. Guess we will have to wait and see.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jacksonville-jaguars-brandon-allen-may-be-the-future-at-quarterback-021217

RME

So essentially you're asking if Brandon Allen can be either tied for or else the standalone greatest quarterback in NFL history?

I hate the Patriots. But Tom Brady is the best quarterback in NFL history.

As for your original question, I'm gonna have to go with "no."

Pig in the Pokey

oh boy. this could have all time potential as a thread.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

B501

bookmark this thread and come back in 20 years

alohawg

Hahahahaha, uh, let me think.........gotta go with no.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Pork Twain

Ummm....nope...  For every one Tom Brady out there, there are hundreds of QBs drafted late that never did anything.  Likely the next Matt Hasselbeck, Jeff Garcia, Tony Romo, Warren Moon or Kurt Warner, than he is the GOAT and more likely to never see the field.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 17, 2017, 06:13:34 am
Ummm....nope...  For every one Tom Brady out there, there are hundreds of QBs drafted late that never did anything.  Likely the next Matt Hasselbeck, Jeff Garcia, Tony Romo, Warren Moon or Kurt Warner, than he is the GOAT and more likely to never see the field.

Actually if BA has an NFL career on par with these QBs then he will have had success. Not TB success, but these guy did well. I'm sure BA would be happy to be the next Kurt Warner.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Pork Twain

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 17, 2017, 06:52:23 am
Actually if BA has an NFL career on par with these QBs then he will have had success. Not TB success, but these guy did well. I'm sure BA would be happy to be the next Kurt Warner.
That is what I am saying.  It is far more likely he is one of these guys or nothing, than it is that he is the next Tom Brady.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

goodguytex

BA has the heart, character and athletic talent I believe to do some great things in the NFL. I'm not sure he has or will have the system or surrounding cast or coaches in place that TB has had to do anything on par with what TB has been able to do.

And that's not in any way a knock against BA. Just very different situation comparing Jacksonville to the Pats.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 17, 2017, 06:13:34 am

Since Moon and Warner are in the HOF, the Jags hope you're right.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on February 17, 2017, 06:58:31 am
Since Moon and Warner are in the HOF, the Jags hope you're right.
Just throwing out other options that he could be, not named Brady, and still be extremely successful.

Hog Fan...DOH!

If he plays in the league for 10 years, that will be success. 

DeltaBoy

I wish him all the best in the NFL if he can play at least 10 years he can retire and do what he wants.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawgboy64

I didn't realize medical marijuana was legal yet.
BA as good as TB, I love Arkansas players but Mike Conley Sr. never made a jump that big.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

HighcountryHog

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on February 17, 2017, 09:01:17 am
I didn't realize medical marijuana was legal yet.
BA as good as TB, I love Arkansas players but Mike Conley Sr. never made a jump that big.

Hell yea it is.  Governor Hutchinson signed it into law January 23.

And, no, BA will NOT be a TB.
no bumps, no fat chicks

hawganatic

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 17, 2017, 06:54:33 am
That is what I am saying.  It is far more likely he is one of these guys or nothing, than it is that he is the next Tom Brady.

Kurt Warner is a HOF'r, Super Bowl MVP, and pretty sure he won the regular season MVP at least once. Far more likely that Allen won't come anywhere close to Warner status.  And not saying that as a knock on Allen, just that most quarterbacks don't reach that status.

Logically I'd say that Allen will be out of the league and on to the next phase of his life in a couple of years, but with the improvement we saw in him from his junior to senior year, and even from game one in his senior year to his last game, I'm not going to count him out on anything.

Already made that mistake once...

TrueBlue

He can be the next Brady.........Bobby Brady that is.

elviscat

BA, will never be in the same comparison as Tom Brady, that wishful thinking. It ain't going to happen.

hawganatic

Quote from: elviscat on February 17, 2017, 10:56:19 am
BA, will never be in the same comparison as Tom Brady, that wishful thinking. It ain't going to happen.

Well when Brady got into the league nobody thought he'd be the next Drew Bledsoe.  He kinda blew that out of the water.

Never know what can happen...

IronMountainHog

The only Brady that Brandon Allen has any relation to would be Marcia Brady. He overthrew many of passes just like the one that hit Marcia Brady in the beak. Oohhh my nose!

Wildhog

I love BA, but let's not get carried away. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on February 17, 2017, 11:34:47 am
I love BA, but let's not get carried away.

Lol. No joke.  Can Alex Collins be the next Herschel Walker?  Can Denver Kirkand be the next refrigerator perry?

hoghiker

Woody Stem, Brandon's Pop Warner league coach,  pretty much said as much when Brandon was ripping thru an undefeated season in Warner that he had 6 super bowl wins written all over him. This was reported widely in the media and was before Brandon repeated as MVP the next year. Bear Bryant and Darrel Royal both stated publicly, he was the best they'd ever seen at that level.

jjdlc

I seriously doubt anyone believes BA will be as good as Brady, but can he, having entered the league in a similar fashion as brady, go on to have a successful career?  Yes.

code red

Yes.  Brandon can be the next Tom Brady.....if he is coached by Belichek.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hawganatic

You guys are overlooking that Brady, on pro athlete terms, really isn't that physically gifted.  It's the mental side of the game that makes him who he is.

Brandon Allen is very good on the mental side also.  Very cerebral and deliberate in what he does, and has a very high football IQ. 

RME

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 17, 2017, 11:41:25 am
Lol. No joke.  Can Alex Collins be the next Herschel Walker?  Can Denver Kirkand be the next refrigerator perry?

Don't forget Drew Morgan -- the next Lance Alworth.

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Pigsknuckles

Ryan Mallett still has a better chance.

Oops. Best...

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Elvis P Hogg

stronguard

The only way Brandon Allen will be the next Brady is if they make another Brady Bunch movie and BA wins the part of Peter
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 17, 2017, 06:54:33 am

Exactly.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hawgdavis

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 16, 2017, 10:49:30 pm
So essentially you're asking if Brandon Allen can be either tied for or else the standalone greatest quarterback in NFL history?

I hate the Patriots. But Tom Brady is the best quarterback in NFL history.

As for your original question, I'm gonna have to go with "no."

So you don't think if you put a young Joe Montana in the Patriots line up at the time that Brady got his first start that Joe wouldn't have done the same if not better than Brady. IMO Joe would have won a couple that Brady didn't. I still think Montana is the best ever. Both were cut form the same mold though with Joe IMO being just a bit better just MHO.

The situation and system has a lot to do with it.

RME

Quote from: hawgdavis on February 17, 2017, 03:38:16 pm

So you don't think if you put a young Joe Montana in the Patriots line up at the time that Brady got his first start that Joe wouldn't have done the same if not better than Brady. IMO Joe would have won a couple that Brady didn't. I still think Montana is the best ever. Both were cut form the same mold though with Joe IMO being just a bit better just MHO.

It does, it definitely does. No doubt about that.

Montana might have thrived just as much or more than Brady, I don't disagree there. But to the OPs point, a Montana/Brady/Allen debate will never occur anywhere outside this thread.

HamSammich

BA was better in his college career than either of those two. I'll hang up and listen.

RME

Quote from: HamSammich on February 17, 2017, 04:45:13 pm
BA was better in his college career than either of those two. I'll hang up and listen.

And Graham Harrell was better than all 3. What's your point?

hawgdavis

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 17, 2017, 04:00:26 pm
It does, it definitely does. No doubt about that.

Montana might have thrived just as much or more than Brady, I don't disagree there. But to the OPs point, a Montana/Brady/Allen debate will never occur anywhere outside this thread.

Probably true but you never know. Time will tell, we may look back in the 15 yrs and go wow Brandon is arguably one of the best ever. What's funny about NFL qb's is the really good ones are usually not the ones that were projected to be really good ones and the are more often than not a surprise. Maybe we will get a surprise with Brandon I hope so.

hog.goblin

Quote from: hawgdavis on February 17, 2017, 03:38:16 pm

Different discussion, but I agree with what I think you are saying:  Joe Montana was the greatest QB of all time.  Tom Brady is a very close second.

goodguytex

I doubt many folks believed Jason Peters would be an all pro regular Olineman when he was playing TE in college for the Hogs. But he is. He will probably wind up in the HOF. BA might too. Just hard to know yet.

Hoggish1

hog.goblin

Are suggesting that Kirkland is going to switch to defense?

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawkhawg

No one thought Brady would be the next Joe Montana.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 17, 2017, 08:34:22 pm
Are suggesting that Kirkland is going to switch to defense?

I was thinking goal line RB actually.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 17, 2017, 08:07:26 pm
Is Allen 6-4?

If he was with the Patriots, Belichick could coach him up to 6'-4" easily.

RedyorNot

I'm hoping BA can buck the recent trend of AR quarterbacks making it to the league and being busts like Mallett and Wilson. Allen flourished under Enos, so his success, like Brady's, will be determined by the system and talent around him. But his senior numbers were light years better than Brady's, so you never know!

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hawkhawg on February 17, 2017, 09:03:26 pm
No one thought Brady would be the next Joe Montana.

I am not for sure why the national football analysts are so enamored with Tom Brady.  Yes, he has won some Super Bowl rings, but he has done it in a watered down NFL.  Also, Brady has had the benefit of having an excellent Head Coach who has an excellent system in place.  Other QBs could play above their potential in Belichick's system.

When I have watched Brady play on T.V., I haven't been that impressed with him.

Wow, comparing BA to TB?  Brady is a great QB made Superhuman by GREAT COACHING AND SYSTEM AND WORK ETHIC.  THE WORK ETHIC LIKELY PROVIDED BY THE GREAT COACHING.  I don't believe even BELCH A CHECK could make Brandon into Tom but if anyone could, he could.  Brady somehow bought into the system that doesn't necessarily require a great QB to operate and kept his ego in control, turned into THE GREATEST and simply plays lead in a great band.  GREAT COACHING, proof of what it can do. I do not believe Brandon has the tools to ever come close to Brady.  If he draws a nice paycheck for 5 or 6 NFL years, hes had a good run.

McKdaddy

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 18, 2017, 02:36:07 am
I am not for sure why the national football analysts are so enamored with Tom Brady.  Yes, he has won some Super Bowl rings, but he has done it in a watered down NFL.  Also, Brady has had the benefit of having an excellent Head Coach who has an excellent system in place.  Other QBs could play above their potential in Belichick's system.

When I have watched Brady play on T.V., I haven't been that impressed with him.

Should one discount Montana due to having Walsh as his coach and the system that was innovative in its day?
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin