Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Season opener on a Thursday

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, February 15, 2017, 06:25:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HamSammich

People will just take off thirstday and Friday... tailgating will be robust. Good move.

factchecker

I'm happy that the game is at night.  Might help a little (tiny bit) with the temps.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Sivad

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

mhsbc59

I'm sad it's on Thursday. I live in Memphis and I am a high school coach. So the only games I can usually attend are little rock games and late season games if I'm not coaching in the playoffs. Now I am also going to be missing possibly the last game in Little Rock. :-(
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

younghog

GOOD ..

Great exposure .. even better move.

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

3kgthog

Quote from: HamSammich on February 16, 2017, 08:41:31 am
People will just take off thirstday and Friday... tailgating will be robust. Good move.

Assuming that those people have a job they can just take off two days during the week. My wife doesn't have that luxury, so for the first time in 17 years my seats will be empty. Jeff finally found a way to get me to give up my Little Rock seats like my wife wants me to. Maybe that's his plan to help bolster his argument for ending the contract.

As of last night, only about 2 of 46 comments on the official Hog Facebook page were positive. Make of that what you will.

LRHawg

Another thing to consider, traffic is already bad enough at evening rush hour in Little Rock, with the Broadway bridge down for construction. It will be an absolute nightmare that Thursday trying to get in town for the game. If you're coming, better plan on getting there extra early. 

elksnort

Good lord, some Razorback fans will make excuses for anything.

How can anyone think that this is not a good move?

If we are going to be critical about Jeff Long, then let's praise him when it is time.

This is a good thing. The place will be packed.

ricepig

Quote from: mhsbc59 on February 16, 2017, 08:55:20 am
I'm sad it's on Thursday. I live in Memphis and I am a high school coach. So the only games I can usually attend are little rock games and late season games if I'm not coaching in the playoffs. Now I am also going to be missing possibly the last game in Little Rock. :-(

The contract has one more game in 2018.

factchecker

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 16, 2017, 09:11:30 am
As of last night, only about 2 of 46 comments on the official Hog Facebook page were positive. Make of that what you will.

Facebook comments are the special ed section of Razorback fandom.  I've seen dipchits blame the stadium expansion for poor Wal-Mart salaries on Facebook. Another good portion of the idiotic Facebook fans think we raise tuition to fund our athletic department.  It doesn't matter how many times you show them the proof that :WE ARE THE ONLY TEAM IN STATE WHO DOESN'T OPERATE OFF OF STUDENT FEES. I saw an idiot argue that we need to QUIT selling alcohol at the stadium.  The majority of the people are Facebook don't attend games.   FACEBOOK = LOWEST SEGMENT OF OUR FANBASE.

Citing Facebook as a source is pretty stupid.

If you want a better judgement then vote and look at the results of polls like this:

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Bolt/POLL-What-do-you-think-about-Arkansas-playing-on-a-Thursday-51317690
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

holeinthewall

QuoteI expect this game played on Saturday would be an afterthought Nationally, played on Thursday, will be seen by many dying for football, any football.

LMAO there are always good match ups on the opening Thursday night. This is an awful match up.   Why would anyone outside of Arkansas fans want to watch this?

factchecker

Quote from: holeinthewall on February 16, 2017, 09:48:41 am
LMAO there are always good match ups on the opening Thursday night. This is an awful match up.   Why would anyone outside of Arkansas fans want to watch this?

As of right now these are the other Thursday night (August 31st) games:

Austin Peay Governors vs. Cincinnati Bearcats
Holy Cross Crusaders vs. Connecticut Huskies
Ohio State Buckeyes vs. Indiana Hoosiers
Presbyterian Blue Hose vs. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Elon Phoenix vs. Toledo Rockets
Tennessee State Tigers vs. Georgia State Panthers
Buffalo Bulls vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers
Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks vs. Memphis Tigers
North Dakota Fighting Hawks vs. Utah Utes
New Mexico State Aggies vs. Arizona State Sun Devils

We will draw attention for simply being the only SEC team playing that day.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: factchecker on February 16, 2017, 09:45:10 am
Facebook comments are the special ed section of Razorback fandom.  I've seen dipchits blame the stadium expansion for poor Wal-Mart salaries on Facebook. Another good portion of the idiotic Facebook fans think we raise tuition to fund our athletic department.  It doesn't matter how many times you show them the proof that :WE ARE THE ONLY TEAM IN STATE WHO DOESN'T OPERATE OFF OF STUDENT FEES. I saw an idiot argue that we need to QUIT selling alcohol at the stadium.  The majority of the people are Facebook don't attend games.   FACEBOOK = LOWEST SEGMENT OF OUR FANBASE.

Citing Facebook as a source is pretty stupid.

If you want a better judgement then vote and look at the results of polls like this:

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Bolt/POLL-What-do-you-think-about-Arkansas-playing-on-a-Thursday-51317690

The "information era" has wrought a new "Age of Misery".  The thing is, it's pretty unclear why so many people are miserable. 

factchecker

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on February 16, 2017, 10:03:52 am
The "information era" has wrought a new "Age of Misery".  The thing is, it's pretty unclear why so many people are miserable.

Politics is a major contributor.

I'm apolitical as you can get.  I have family members who won't talk to each-other because of political statements made on social media.  STUPID.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

TrueBlue

Quote from: LRHawg on February 16, 2017, 09:30:59 am
Another thing to consider, traffic is already bad enough at evening rush hour in Little Rock, with the Broadway bridge down for construction. It will be an absolute nightmare that Thursday trying to get in town for the game. If you're coming, better plan on getting there extra early. 

Broadway bridge will be opening up in March.

ricepig

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 16, 2017, 10:16:09 am
Broadway bridge will be opening up in March.

Well...........something else will be wrong!!!!

hawganatic

Was the game originally scheduled for LR, or was it put in LR because we wanted the Thurs night time slot?  Fayetteville would probably be half full for a Thurs night game, since less people would be able to travel for it, and NWA can't come close to filling the stadium by itself.

In my opinion this is a great move.  There will be a lot of people either burning PTO for it, or just sliding out of work early when the boss isn't looking (boss won't be looking because he'll be sliding out the other back door).  Will be a lot of good energy in the stadium with people slightly to moderately buzzed, but not beligerently drunk from being on the golf course all day.  And everybody will still be excited for the season since we will be undefeated at that point.

I'm looking forward to it and will be a good time.

ricepig

Quote from: hawganatic on February 16, 2017, 10:18:18 am
Was the game originally scheduled for LR, or was it put in LR because we wanted the Thurs night time slot?  Fayetteville would probably be half full for a Thurs night game, since less people would be able to travel for it, and NWA can't come close to filling the stadium by itself.

In my opinion this is a great move.  There will be a lot of people either burning PTO for it, or just sliding out of work early when the boss isn't looking (boss won't be looking because he'll be sliding out the other back door).  Will be a lot of good energy in the stadium with people slightly to moderately buzzed, but not beligerently drunk from being on the golf course all day.  And everybody will still be excited for the season since we will be undefeated at that point.

I'm looking forward to it and will be a good time.

The game was always scheduled for LR.

lutherheggs

Quote from: mhsbc59 on February 16, 2017, 08:55:20 am
My condolences on living in Memphis. The current saying for that city is: "Come to Memphis for the barbecue. Stay because you got murdered!". And while that is an embellishment, Memphis is a dangerous place.

rhames

Assuming that those people have a job they can just take off two days during the week. My wife doesn't have that luxury, so for the first time in 17 years my seats will be empty. Jeff finally found a way to get me to give up my Little Rock seats like my wife wants me to. Maybe that's his plan to help bolster his argument for ending the contract.

Your wife must have a crapy job if she can't take off 2 to 3 days with a 7 month notice
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Hogfan46

Quote from: go hogues on February 16, 2017, 08:51:10 am
Kills the tailgate atmosphere.

So we are not going to get a batch of new YouTube videos of the drunken brawl idiotfest from the golf course. That's a good thing.

rhames

This is a good move. Better than noon Saturday. Adds a little more excitement.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

colbs

It's funny that more people are complaining about the game being on Thursday than actually attend the Saturday games in WMS.  I think some people just like to complain.  Most people if they want can get off early on Thursday.  I imagine there are people who work weekends that will be able to go now. 

I love the move.  I can go to the game Thursday and still watch some great match ups on Saturday. 

rhames

Quote from: colbs on February 16, 2017, 10:52:24 am
It's funny that more people are complaining about the game being on Thursday than actually attend the Saturday games in WMS.  I think some people just like to complain.  Most people if they want can get off early on Thursday.  I imagine there are people who work weekends that will be able to go now. 

I love the move.  I can go to the game Thursday and still watch some great match ups on Saturday. 

Bingo.

code red

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on February 15, 2017, 07:22:23 pm
Talk about sticking it to LR. Work and no time for tailgate. Last game ever at LR
There is not such thing as LR fans.  There is only Hog Fans.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

News flash.....LR is being phased out...I thought we had been through this??
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Sed76

Of the people I actually know the only ones who are upset are the ones who only care about spending hours on the golf course and getting drunk. The ones who are actual football fans say that yes, it's a minor inconvenience but will free up the weekend to watch other games. 

Deep Shoat

I hope it kills the number of stupid drunks.  I'd like my kids to see a WMS game before we are done.  But I stopped taking them to LR before they were old enough to remember because I don't want them exposed to the "tailgaters"...
All Gas, No Brakes!

LZH

Quote from: rhames on February 16, 2017, 10:50:05 am

Your wife must have a crapy job if she can't take off 2 to 3 days with a 7 month notice

Huh? mhsbc59 can't take off either...because he's a coach. Does he have a crappy job, too?

FANONTHEHILL

If this were announced at the end of the summer, I might understand some people's complaints.  But it's February 16th and people have 196 days to make their arrangements. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

colbs

I wonder how many of the tailgaters actually go in the games at WMS. 

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on February 16, 2017, 11:48:24 am
Huh? mhsbc59 can't take off either...because he's a coach. Does he have a crappy job, too?

If you don't fly in from Florida, you have a crappy job!!

hogsanity

Quote from: factchecker on February 16, 2017, 09:54:03 am
As of right now these are the other Thursday night (August 31st) games:

Austin Peay Governors vs. Cincinnati Bearcats
Holy Cross Crusaders vs. Connecticut Huskies
Ohio State Buckeyes vs. Indiana Hoosiers
Presbyterian Blue Hose vs. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Elon Phoenix vs. Toledo Rockets
Tennessee State Tigers vs. Georgia State Panthers
Buffalo Bulls vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers
Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks vs. Memphis Tigers
North Dakota Fighting Hawks vs. Utah Utes
New Mexico State Aggies vs. Arizona State Sun Devils

We will draw attention for simply being the only SEC team playing that day.

Plus they can make it a evening kickoff instead of the 2:30 or 3pm it was likely to draw on Sat Sept 2.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HF#1

Terrible move. Terrible for the fans and anyone watching on TV. Will likely be the worst attended game at WMS in Razorback history.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2017, 12:12:51 pm
If you don't fly in from Florida, you have a crappy job!!

Amen to that. Any job I have is crappy...because I'd really prefer not to even have one. This working for a living bullspit totally screws up a good life. I miss the old days.

bennyl08

Quote from: hogsanity on February 16, 2017, 12:13:37 pm
Plus they can make it a evening kickoff instead of the 2:30 or 3pm it was likely to draw on Sat Sept 2.

It is in fact a 7pm central time kickoff. So, even people who work can still go to the game.

For people who can't take a half day off work, they won't be able to tailgate. The people that applies to is largely canceled out by the people who would have had to work weekends and can now go to the game on thursday. Vast majority will be able to take off work if they want to.

For the HS coach, it's a 2.5 hour drive from memphis to LR. You could leave at 4:30 and still make it. School typically ends at 3:30 or so, teachers usually have to stay til 4. That gives you 30 min to account for traffic as well. Traffic is bad leaving LR at rush hour, but going into LR is not as bad on a typical work day. Hog game traffic is going to be worse, but coming from memphis, it'll be slightly less than if you were coming from the north side.

To the person whose wife couldn't make it, you sounded sad that you wouldn't get to see the game, not that your wife couldn't. If you wanted to, you do realize your wife doesn't have to go with you, right? If she is a big hog fan, she'd respect your wishes to see the game live and maybe bring a friend with you. If she isn't, she might look forward to having the house to herself for a few hours.

There are exceptions of course, but I find that if you really want to do something, you will find a way and find time to do it. Chances are, if you can't find time to do something, it's because the inconvenience of making time is stronger than your desire to actually do it.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hogsanity

Quote from: HF#1 on February 16, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Terrible move. Terrible for the fans and anyone watching on TV. Will likely be the worst attended game at WMS in Razorback history.

Likely would have been that anyway.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 16, 2017, 12:32:26 pm
It is in fact a 7pm central time kickoff. So, even people who work can still go to the game.

For people who can't take a half day off work, they won't be able to tailgate. The people that applies to is largely canceled out by the people who would have had to work weekends and can now go to the game on thursday. Vast majority will be able to take off work if they want to.

For the HS coach, it's a 2.5 hour drive from memphis to LR. You could leave at 4:30 and still make it. School typically ends at 3:30 or so, teachers usually have to stay til 4. That gives you 30 min to account for traffic as well. Traffic is bad leaving LR at rush hour, but going into LR is not as bad on a typical work day. Hog game traffic is going to be worse, but coming from memphis, it'll be slightly less than if you were coming from the north side.

To the person whose wife couldn't make it, you sounded sad that you wouldn't get to see the game, not that your wife couldn't. If you wanted to, you do realize your wife doesn't have to go with you, right? If she is a big hog fan, she'd respect your wishes to see the game live and maybe bring a friend with you. If she isn't, she might look forward to having the house to herself for a few hours.

There are exceptions of course, but I find that if you really want to do something, you will find a way and find time to do it. Chances are, if you can't find time to do something, it's because the inconvenience of making time is stronger than your desire to actually do it.

RUT ROH - Benny & I agree on something.

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 16, 2017, 12:32:26 pm

Maybe he coaches Jr high, too. And expecting to leave Memphis at 4 and arrive to WMS at 7 are based on traffic facts you obviously aren't aware of, lol. It's unfortunate that he can't make the game, but there are numerous other games in Fayetteville, and surely some will be at a time he can make it on a Saturday.

bennyl08

You are telling me that in all of central arkansas, there are not 22,329 fans that can take the day off, take half the day off, or just straight up head to the game after work? Not to mention fans in the rest of the state?
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

factchecker

There have been some pretty bad ones:

Here is a look at some of the smallest attendances at War Memorial Stadium since 1992.

22,329 - LSU, 1996
42,214 - Troy State, 2002
43,982 - LSU, 2000
45,633 - LSU, 1994
46,080 - SMU, 1992
46,341 - Louisiana Tech, 1996
46,998 - Alcorn State, 2016
47,348 - Samford, 2013
48,816 - Northeast Louisiana, 1997
49,178 - South Carolina, 1997
50,075 - Mississippi State, 1993
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2017, 12:36:12 pm
Maybe he coaches Jr high, too. And expecting to leave Memphis at 4 and arrive to WMS at 7 are based on traffic facts you obviously aren't aware of, lol. It's unfortunate that he can't make the game, but there are numerous other games in Fayetteville, and surely some will be at a time he can make it on a Saturday.

It used to be a 90 min drive without speeding. Google maps listed it as a 2:15 minute drive. I know there's a fair amount of construction between the two, so I figure that is being accounted for in the extra 45 minutes google is saying.

Again, depends on how bad you want it. Do you want to watch the hogs bad enough you'd miss the entire first quarter and get home at midnight or later?

Do you try and schedule practice after school for a different day or simply cancel practice? If those aren't options, can you get another coach to cover for you? Odds are high that one of those would work. If not, I mentioned there are always exceptions, but in general, if you really want it, you can do it.

bennyl08

Quote from: factchecker on February 16, 2017, 12:38:18 pm
There have been some pretty bad ones:

Here is a look at the 10 smallest attendances at War Memorial Stadium since 1992.
22,329 - LSU, 1996
42,214 - Troy State, 2002
43,982 - LSU, 2000
45,633 - LSU, 1994
46,080 - SMU, 1992
46,341 - Louisiana Tech, 1996
47,348 - Samford, 2013
49,178 - South Carolina, 1997
48,816 - Northeast Louisiana, 1997
50,075 - Mississippi State, 1993

I beat the fact checker! Pretty sure we both found the same website, I just went with the smallest since 92 seeing as that was what was in question.

LRRandy

Quote from: LRHawg on February 16, 2017, 08:40:50 am
Great for TV. Not so great for those that were planning on going all out tailgating the last LR game. I'm old enough to not care about that so I don't mind. Going to be a lot of angry millennials though.

If we lose EVERYONE will see it. Could really kill our season.
well, I don't think they will be losing to FCS Florida A&M. The rattlers have no venom.
This is fun, isn't it.

factchecker

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 16, 2017, 12:43:46 pm
I beat the fact checker! Pretty sure we both found the same website, I just went with the smallest since 92 seeing as that was what was in question.

My source is out of date. I had to add Alcorn.

Here is the link:

Quotehttp://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2013/sep/08/samford-attendance-lowest-11-years/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 16, 2017, 12:42:41 pm
It used to be a 90 min drive without speeding. Google maps listed it as a 2:15 minute drive. I know there's a fair amount of construction between the two, so I figure that is being accounted for in the extra 45 minutes google is saying.

Again, depends on how bad you want it. Do you want to watch the hogs bad enough you'd miss the entire first quarter and get home at midnight or later?

Do you try and schedule practice after school for a different day or simply cancel practice? If those aren't options, can you get another coach to cover for you? Odds are high that one of those would work. If not, I mentioned there are always exceptions, but in general, if you really want it, you can do it.

Not really, if you have a game that night, lots of schools play on Thursday night's due to multiple schools using the same stadium, or have your pre-game practice, you don't change up the routine over one person's wants. He can't make it, not the end of the world, but not as simple as you make it to be. I guess he can a quit his job, right?

colbs

It's not like WMS has been attended well the last few years.  When fans can't fill it up against GA then they really don't deserve much of a say.  By the way I was at that game.

HF#1

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 16, 2017, 12:37:16 pm
You are telling me that in all of central arkansas, there are not 22,329 fans that can take the day off, take half the day off, or just straight up head to the game after work? Not to mention fans in the rest of the state?

That can? Yes. That will? no

I will take the day off so I don't have to deal with the traffic.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2017, 12:36:12 pm

HS & jrhs coaches have to give up alot of things for their job. For every coach that cant make Thursday but could make Sat, I can find someone that can make Thursday but could not make Sat. That is just life.