Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas to pay San Jose St $1.5M in 2019.

Started by ricepig, February 15, 2017, 04:56:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: HamSammich on February 18, 2017, 08:49:43 pm
Connecticut is a stretch? Houston? Illinois? Indiana? Purdue ? Colorado st? Utah? These teams are untouchable ? It's weak ass sauce / period.

We play Colorado St in 2019.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 16, 2017, 03:37:23 pm
Ton of money for a West Coast Team .

Not on the west coast it isn't. 1.5 million doesn't buy as much there.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

cotterhog

San Jose is the most expensive city to live in California and second in the US. They probably really need the money Lol😆!

BrianG

Quote from: LZH on February 15, 2017, 08:26:40 pm
UCF plays in the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, and USF plays here at Raymond James Stadium. They usually draw less-than-stellar crowds. But they both have certainly upgraded their talent level. I just said home and home because I would get to catch an extra Razorback game if they were to play down here.

Not sure if anyone brought this up.  Not reading all the thread but you are right about where USF plays but UCF plays in their own on campus stadium.  Brighthouse Stadium.

BigoBoys

Quote from: factchecker on February 15, 2017, 08:14:48 pm
Lets play Iowa in Kansas City.
Let's don't play any games at a neutral site except for a bowl game. 

Westcoasthog

When is Jeff Long going to announce the Michigan replacement we want the same quality replacement.

ricepig

Quote from: Westcoasthog on February 19, 2017, 07:24:29 pm
    When is Jeff Long going to announce the Michigan replacement we want the same quality replacement.

Wish in one hand, and............

HamSammich

I just think that today's polarized society has permeated to most of you. One extreme or the other huh? Nothing wrong with playing Connecticut and California..... nothing wrong but yet only good ramifications..... if you are against this post you need to rethink your outlook of extreme views

hogsanity

Quote from: Westcoasthog on February 19, 2017, 07:24:29 pm

I guess as soon as he finds someone to do to someone else what Mich did to us because all the "quality" opponents have had that years games locked up for a while.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bennyl08

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 18, 2017, 12:53:42 pm
By gaining another home playing date and not having to play a higher quality opponent on the road.   That's the quick answer. 

The financial down side of playing a better quality schedule is that you likely lose a home date each season (if you balance your schedule properly).  This does increase the travel budget (and thus operating costs) but the prospect of bringing a higher quality opponent to your fans and your recruits has a value over and above the financial considerations.  Even more so if your opponent is one that can get you on a decent TV spot (and in front of more potential recruits).

No, it really doesn't.

If there was a concert with Led Zep, the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, and AC/DC; are you going to bring more fans by adding ace of base? That concert lineup is basically our schedule year in and year out. No recruit is out there thinking, many, you already perennially play of of the top schedules in the country ever year. However, I really just wish you'd play 2 tough OOC games each year instead of the one that we already do each year save for 2007 when we bought out the USC contract.

As for the profitability: Arkansas vs Iowa St isn't going to draw any more national views outside those two schools than Arkansas vs North Central Iowa County University would do. Further, how profitable is losing? I promise you, fans enjoy a good blowout every once in a while. Keeping with the concert theme, it's like having a 5 minute solo for the guitar, drums, bass, keyboard, etc... Yeah, You don't the entire concert to just be solos, you want to hear songs too, but a good solo can be fun.

As for preparing the team, I won't argue it doesn't have any impact, but that impact is grossly over-stated. The team doesn't go out there and improve from playing games very much. You improve from practicing. That would be like saying, man, I bet that band would be a lot better, not if they spent more time practicing, but played in Tulsa instead of Conway on their tour despite also playing in NYC, LA, Chicago, and Dallas.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: cotterhog on February 19, 2017, 03:56:47 pm
San Jose is the most expensive city to live in California and second in the US. They probably really need the money Lol😆!

My son lives there and I'll testify to that! I've also been on their campus and have seen their stadium. Nothing special.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 20, 2017, 07:23:40 am
This is the same old and tired argument made by those who don't want to change anything:

First of all, I have no idea who ace of base is (or what that may be referring to) so I guess that one came along after my time. 
At any rate, 13 other teams play in the SEC, 6 other teams in the SEC West and as things have been for the last 25 years, what exactly has Arkansas accomplished? 

The results are unlikely to be any different if the same actions are taken by Arkansas - and specifically here this refers to the they OOC scheduling. 

How is Arkansas going to catch and pass Alabama, Auburn, LSU (those three mainly) by doing what they've been doing for years in all football aspects?  They aren't is the short answer.  Until Arkansas differentiates itself from the rest of the crowd, it will suffer the fate of being in the crowd - unlikely to ever stand above it unless lightning strikes.  A superior OOC schedule is one way Arkansas can stand out from the remainder of the SEC - thus becoming more attractive to recruits, to television, and (most importantly perhaps) to media attention.

I guess then you are good with higher buyouts for the coaches, and increased ticket prices to make up for lost revenue? Honest question, do you have season tickets?

EastexHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 19, 2017, 09:07:22 pm
If there was a concert with Led Zep, the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, and AC/DC; are you going to bring more fans by adding ace of base?

All that we want is to win.  After 25 years in the SEC, I saw the sign(s) that Arkansas has been for the most part a mediocre afterthought.  Don't turn around, look back to what we have always done, and decide good enough is good enough.  It's about to be a cruel summer followed by another disappointing fall if we always do the things we always do.

LZH

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 20, 2017, 09:58:31 am
All that we want is to win.  After 25 years in the SEC, I saw the sign(s) that Arkansas has been for the most part a mediocre afterthought.  Don't turn around, look back to what we have always done, and decide good enough is good enough.  It's about to be a cruel summer followed by another disappointing fall if we always do the things we always do.

8)

bennyl08

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 20, 2017, 07:23:40 am
This is the same old and tired argument made by those who don't want to change anything:

First of all, I have no idea who ace of base is (or what that may be referring to) so I guess that one came along after my time. 
At any rate, 13 other teams play in the SEC, 6 other teams in the SEC West and as things have been for the last 25 years, what exactly has Arkansas accomplished? 

The results are unlikely to be any different if the same actions are taken by Arkansas - and specifically here this refers to the they OOC scheduling. 

How is Arkansas going to catch and pass Alabama, Auburn, LSU (those three mainly) by doing what they've been doing for years in all football aspects?  They aren't is the short answer.  Until Arkansas differentiates itself from the rest of the crowd, it will suffer the fate of being in the crowd - unlikely to ever stand above it unless lightning strikes.  A superior OOC schedule is one way Arkansas can stand out from the remainder of the SEC - thus becoming more attractive to recruits, to television, and (most importantly perhaps) to media attention.

La Monroe probably has a better OOC schedule than anybody in the rest of the country most years. Has it improved their standing in the media? No, they are a school that people just assume will lose. They might make a splash by winning like a blind squirrel finds a nut, but within weeks, all people remember is the big school losing, not the smaller school that won.

Can you point to any evidence of a superior OOC schedule improving a teams recruiting or success? The closest I can think is Boise St which isn't even a P5 school. However, they rose to fame by beating up on weaker opponents and using those victories to sell themselves to better recruits and only AFTER they had built themselves up that way did they really start trying to take on a single big dog in OOC schedule. If you have evidence of your idea having ever led to success before and evidence as to why it was the OOC and not something else, by all means.

Now, there is evidence of teams using victories to help their recruiting and thus further increase their winning. However, the best approach there is not to make it less likely to have victories in the first place. The two biggest things you can do to catch the national media's eye is to win a big bowl game and to sign a top 10/15 class. Heck, look at the hogs in 2014 vs this year. We beat Texas and that caught everybody's attention. In the offseason, nobody was talking about how we beat TTU. It was the win over Texas. Look at this year. Losing to VT is what has shaped the topic of conversation this offseason. Nobody cares about us beating TCU anymore.

Under the likes of Houston Nutt, we played USC and Texas, two of the top teams at the time. Our recruiting was at it's worst in the past 15 years. We required catching lightning in a bottle with a couple big recruits to do anything. Flash forward to Petrino's time and our OOC became the aggies. Despite a drop in the prestige factor of our OOC schedule, our recruiting improved, as did our wins and NFL exports. Finally, in modern times, aggies have been replaced with TCU and Rutgers and the likes with Michigan scheduled but they bailed. Our recruiting, despite your concerns, has continued to improve. Our wins are improving, and our NFL exports are improving.

People today want instant results. Building a quality football team is like making a quality supper. You zap something in the microwave for a minute, and you are going to get the quality of food that you put into it. Minimal effort, minimal quality. The best meals are going to be made from you improving your skill as a cook, improving the quality and freshness of your ingredients, and taking the time to prepare things yourself rather than buying pre-made sauces or processed this or that. The only exception to this rule is paying somebody to put in the time for you. However, this becomes a flash in the metaphorical pan that you can't sustain as your meal plan forever.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 20, 2017, 09:58:31 am

+1 if I could.

What happens if the things we always do are have been steady improvements? Gradually improving the quality of our players year in and year out? Improving the cohesion and talent of our coaching staff? Leading to improved teams year in and year out until we reach the carrying capacity of our program?

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 20, 2017, 02:13:06 pm
Why does making up for lost revenue enter into this consideration when Arkansas was just handed a check for $35 really really large from the SEC? 

When there is more concern for the quality of the product on the field than the financial bottom line, this thing just must turn itself around. 

Because, like your household budget, it all matters. As to the product on the field, it matters too. As Benny said, show us where your approach has helped a school.

EastexHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 20, 2017, 02:10:46 pm
+1 if I could.

What happens if the things we always do are have been steady improvements? Gradually improving the quality of our players year in and year out? Improving the cohesion and talent of our coaching staff? Leading to improved teams year in and year out until we reach the carrying capacity of our program?

Those are questions for another day.  Right now all I want to ponder is if the chicks from Bananarama who sang Cruel Summer were hotter than the two from Ace of Base.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 20, 2017, 02:13:06 pm
Why does making up for lost revenue enter into this consideration when Arkansas was just handed a check for $35 really really large from the SEC? 

When there is more concern for the quality of the product on the field than the financial bottom line, this thing just must turn itself around. 

You've never had a business to run because if you had you would know about revenue's and flow-through to the "bottom line" and budgeting for such. A $35 million check from the SEC is revenue anticipated and a part of a BUDGET.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 20, 2017, 07:20:56 pm
You've never had a business to run because if you had you would know about revenue's and flow-through to the "bottom line" and budgeting for such. A $35 million check from the SEC is revenue anticipated and a part of a BUDGET.

If I won the lottery and was drawing an annuity of $150,000 per month that would be anticipated revenue, too.  That wouldn't mean it was hard to draw up and live within a budget.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 20, 2017, 08:13:30 pm
If I won the lottery and was drawing an annuity of $150,000 per month that would be anticipated revenue, too.  That wouldn't mean it was hard to draw up and live within a budget.
Depends on the budget, correct?

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on February 20, 2017, 08:14:37 pm
Depends on the budget, correct?

Yes, considering if I was paying Bielema's salary alone I would need more than twice that amount.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 20, 2017, 08:13:30 pm

The Hogs DO live within their budget. Besides you said something about being more concerned about the quality of the product. There is more than one measurement as to the quality of college sports products. It's somewhat like food quality. Highly subjective but people still eat food you might think is bad but they think is very good.

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 20, 2017, 07:20:56 pm

What the hell is a budget? I had to look it up. I wonder if that has anything to do with my current financial embarrassment.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 21, 2017, 06:32:35 am
The Hogs DO live within their budget. Besides you said something about being more concerned about the quality of the product. There is more than one measurement as to the quality of college sports products. It's somewhat like food quality. Highly subjective but people still eat food you might think is bad but they think is very good.

I wasn't suggesting they don't live within their budget.  I'm merely pointing out that getting $35 million per year from the conference makes that task much easier than it could be.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on February 21, 2017, 07:02:32 am
What the hell is a budget? I had to look it up. I wonder if that has anything to do with my current financial embarrassment.

Ask sevenof400, he thinks he knows all about finances. Especially of sports departments.

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 21, 2017, 06:47:47 pm
Ask sevenof400, he thinks he knows all about finances. Especially of sports departments.

8)

bennyl08

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 25, 2017, 10:22:09 am
I know when a program is too encumbered by budgetary concerns..  See exhibit (U)A(F).

University of Alaska at Fairbanks? They do have a great sea ice program and have people I collaborate with, but I'd be surprised if they had a football program at all.