Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hiring while on hotseat...

Started by twistitup, February 09, 2017, 05:08:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Deep Shoat

Quote from: twistitup on February 10, 2017, 05:33:40 am
Its not just this board. Google is my friend, how about you ...

http://thebiglead.com/2016/12/29/bret-bielema-on-the-hot-seat-after-belk-bowl-collapse/
Right.  Because some kid in Detroit knows how hot the seat is in Fayetteville, Ar.

All Gas, No Brakes!

Pork Twain

Google can get you almost anything to support either side, with the right search criteria.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Al Boarland

Quote from: hobhog on February 09, 2017, 11:01:43 pm
Coach B is fine. Gonna be a good year.
Agree. 7/8 wins and another trip to a bowl game.

ChitownHawg

http://thebiglead.com/2016/12/29/bret-bielema-on-the-hot-seat-after-belk-bowl-collapse/

So some guy in Michigan feels CBB SHOULD BE on the hot seat - is what you are hanging your hat on?

Dude, you are going to throw your back out twisting this hard to prove a point.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 10, 2017, 05:37:04 am
Right.  Because some kid in Detroit knows how hot the seat is in Fayetteville, Ar.

You saw that too.  ;D

Some people will believe anything because it's on the Internet.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

MuskogeeHogFan

If they did their research they would know that because of his high buyout that Bielema is far from being on the "hotseat" at this time. People who don't do the research would assume that he is and if he didn't have that huge buyout, he probably would be. That doesn't stop some writer from publishing things that have no real foundation.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

People within Arkansas would be quite upset if they were aware of the perception other people outside of the state have about the football program. 

Make no mistake, after his multiple choke jobs in 2016 his seat is warm, but if he has another 2017 season full of collapses, he'll be gone.

rljjr

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 09, 2017, 08:51:41 pm
People argue it all the time. Especially in the face of losses. You hear phrases like  "building it the right way" "integrity" "student athlete" "uncommon"

The academic success is great...it really is, but when it becomes a diversion and takes the place of winning games it gets irritating. You can't go to a university sporting event these days...or even receive something in the mail from the foundation without the "academic successes" loudly thrown in your face.

I'm sick of it.

Yeah, no kidding. We're really letting that whole school thing get in the way. UNC had the right idea. Let the women's teams do all the higher education stuff. We need football wins at all costs. (End Sarcasm)

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on February 09, 2017, 09:28:36 pm
Not all are happy.  Red Socks already fired a shot across Long's bow at the last BOT meeting.

Maybe he can start a class-action suit........oops...

Dwight_K_Shrute

The hiring on the hot seat theory is a bit absurd.  Les Miles had no problem hiring Dave Aranda while on the hot seat, Gus was feeling it and pulled Kevin Steele away from LSU.  Good assistants don't worry about moving if the $'s are right.  They are always in demand.  Bret's buyout and his AD gives him more stability than many of his peers.  He hired who he hired for whatever reason.  If some are unhappy with the hire I don't think hiring on the hot seat is a good response. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

1highhog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 09, 2017, 05:58:51 pm
I love these guys get on Hogville and proclaim they are mad! CBB is on the hot seat and this is a do or die year for him.

I bet not a single one of them has the influence to push the decision one way or the other. Anyone want to take me up in that bet?  ;D

lol, true.  Guys of Hogville, I promise you this, even though I have no insider knowledge of anything pertaining to the inner sanctum of the major donors and of who pulls the strings to make Jeff Long speak.  But one thing I do knows is, Jeff Long is very secure in his job as Long, (see what I did there), keeps the money machine going and spending it wisely over the whole athletic program.  And anyone who thinks CBB's seat is hot after next season is fooling themselves, he gets a good 6 years easy before his seat gets warm, and for good reason.  If the freaky show that's been happening with our basketball program can go 6+ years then heck, that means our Football Coach should get at least 10+ years.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 10, 2017, 08:03:58 am
The hiring on the hot seat theory is a bit absurd.  Les Miles had no problem hiring Dave Aranda while on the hot seat, Gus was feeling it and pulled Kevin Steele away from LSU.  Good assistants don't worry about moving if the $'s are right.  They are always in demand.  Bret's buyout and his AD gives him more stability than many of his peers.  He hired who he hired for whatever reason.  If some are unhappy with the hire I don't think hiring on the hot seat is a good response. 

The way you do that is give the assistant a multiyear contract.
[CENSORED]!

LZH

Quote from: Sooie71923 on February 09, 2017, 06:31:34 pm
Y'all are really fooling yourselves if you think CBB is on a short leash. I know it's something to "gossip" about but he will not be fired anytime soon especially for the foreseeable future.  Y'all think it's hard hiring assistants when a coach is perceived to be here short term? Well y'all are in for a treat for when or if yalls fantasy comes true and CBB is fired.

Don't know quality coaches will be crawling to Fayetteville after knowing how CBB was treated. Dealing with a fan base who is falsely entitled with unrealistic expectations.

Arkansas is not the job so many of you believe that it is. it was difficult enough having to find a replacement for CBP.

Think about it, Arkansas is a coaching graveyard. Can anyone else think of a school where the last 2 decades of coaches have been FIRED in both the 2 main sports?

How about some stability? That's a pretty foreign idea at Arkansas. 

Florida State wasn't built overnight and they're in a 100x better situation than Arkansas. 

Life is short, support the team.

Every SEC fan base is unrealistic. We are lightweights compared to some.

Coaching graveyard? Pretty much every single Top 50 program loses coaches one of three ways. They 1) retire, 2) move up (to the NFL or a higher profile CFB team), or 3) are fired. The overwhelming majority are fired.

Stability comes with winning. Florida State is a perfect example of a high-profile program that is only as good as their coach. In Bowden's last few years they were pretty average, but look what happened when they got some new blood in. Arkansas is only 2 or 3 consecutive 10-win seasons from being in a similar position nationally.

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 09, 2017, 07:23:09 pm
+1000

Very doable.
not doable.  Finances are not what you think they are.  Had to get a bond issue for the North endzone.  have not sold the boxes in the north endzone (even though they tell every one they have) donations are down. 

ricepig

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on February 10, 2017, 11:41:45 am
not doable.  Finances are not what you think they are.  Had to get a bond issue for the North endzone.  have not sold the boxes in the north endzone (even though they tell every one they have) donations are down. 

Lol, so, you expected to be able to write a check for a $160M expansion? What would you care to bet that the next two 990's from the RF show record donations?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 10, 2017, 07:42:15 am
People within Arkansas would be quite upset if they were aware of the perception other people outside of the state have about the football program. 

Make no mistake, after his multiple choke jobs in 2016 his seat is warm, but if he has another 2017 season full of collapses, he'll be gone.

Funny, I live out of state. Many of my sports oriented friends do as well. None of them have said a bad word about the Hogs.

Well except for my Bama friend. I think I red him too hard during the Shula days. He is now "Roll Tide" me to death.  ;D

factchecker

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on February 10, 2017, 11:41:45 am

Link?

Here is a link that says both ticket sales and contributions are up (2015 from 2014)

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Click on Arkansas.  We are at #16.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

twistitup

Deep Shoat

Quote from: twistitup on February 10, 2017, 12:50:47 pm
How many links do you want?

http://coacheshotseat.com
You do realize these links are just someone's OPINION, right?

CBB is not currently even on a warm seat, unless he had beans last night.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Potosihog

This discussion always comes down to "the big money donors".  Who are they?  I'm not asking for names.  I'm asking what it takes to be a big money donor.  I could be wrong but I suspect this has changed over the years.  Back in the 70's and 80's there were a few big money guys who were the GOBN.  Most accrediting bodies have pushed universities to get less and less dependent upon the GOBN and more balanced in their financial stability.  This comes from spreading out the income across more sources in smaller amounts.  Tuition, fees, ticket sales, SEC and TV money, all provide sustainable and more stable income than a few guys writing huge checks.

When lots of people help pay the bills it is easier to keep the money coming in.  It takes a lot to make all of them mad at the same time.

When a few of the GOBN get mad at the same time, heads roll.

So if any on here are connected at that level I really want to know.  Does the GOBN still exist and if so, what is the annual buy in?

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

twistitup

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

twistitup

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 10, 2017, 12:54:54 pm
You do realize these links are just someone's OPINION, right?

CBB is not currently even on a warm seat, unless he had beans last night.
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/espn-writer-says-bret-bielema-hot-seat-2017/

ricepig

Quote from: Potosihog on February 10, 2017, 12:59:43 pm
This discussion always comes down to "the big money donors".  Who are they?  I'm not asking for names.  I'm asking what it takes to be a big money donor.  I could be wrong but I suspect this has changed over the years.  Back in the 70's and 80's there were a few big money guys who were the GOBN.  Most accrediting bodies have pushed universities to get less and less dependent upon the GOBN and more balanced in their financial stability.  This comes from spreading out the income across more sources in smaller amounts.  Tuition, fees, ticket sales, SEC and TV money, all provide sustainable and more stable income than a few guys writing huge checks.

When lots of people help pay the bills it is easier to keep the money coming in.  It takes a lot to make all of them mad at the same time.

When a few of the GOBN get mad at the same time, heads roll.

So if any on here are connected at that level I really want to know.  Does the GOBN still exist and if so, what is the annual buy in?

The money from the SEC has made the "big money donors" less important. However, their input and money is still needed, and courted. I would put those who contribute in excess of $100,000/yr as your big money. Now, the big big money gives 7 figure donations for various facilities, and they usually have their name on something on campus.

twistitup

ricepig

So, if an obscure out of state writer says a coach is on the hot seat, does anyone hear it?

If by hot seat, do they mean one needs to improve his win total in order to receive another 4 year contract, then I say yes, he's on that hot seat.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on February 09, 2017, 05:22:04 pm
The hotseat should be Jeff Long, not the others and contracts are just pieces of paper.

Yes!  Jeff Long should be fired for hiring a football coach with the best resume of any coach ever hired in the history of the program at the time of the hiring.  He should be fired for hiring a basketball coach that had built two perceived lesser programs into Sweet 16 and Elite 8 teams.  He should be fired for taking the high road when faced with the decision to fire a coach that had placed the entire athletic department into legal financial trouble not withstanding being a national embarrassment.  He should be fired for being so well respected nationally he was selected to be the leader of the BCS committee.  Yes!  Please fire Jeff Long and get someone with less national standing and respect that can hire some head coaches with much less proven resumes in big time football and basketball.  Fire the clown!

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 01:19:10 pm
So, if an obscure out of state writer says a coach is on the hot seat, does anyone hear it?

If by hot seat, do they mean one needs to improve his win total in order to receive another 4 year contract, then I say yes, he's on that hot seat.

Everyone from ESPN writers to kids in Detroit have written it - I guess its only legit when Rice says so....

ChitownHawg

Quote from: twistitup on February 10, 2017, 12:50:47 pm
How many links do you want?

http://coacheshotseat.com

All I need is one link. One link with a credible source.

It was clearly told to you that you can find ANYTHING on the Internet to prove your point. This site is just another person with no connections to the University stating CBB is on the hot seat.

Don't be so gullible. Or provide a link with a credible source with connections to the school. I will not hold my breath waiting on you to find such a source.  ;D

Been10Hog

The only opinion that matters is that of Jeff Long. According to the "experts" i.e. Vegas, we were SUPPOSED to lose to aTm, TCU, Bama, Aubbie, LSU, Florida, Ole Miss and Va Tech. We won 3 of those. We lost one we were supposed to win, Mizzou. Long doesn't care how much crying there is on Hogville!! By those standards he made a great hire! If Long listens to HV crybabies he will fire BB and hire the first non power 5 coach to beat a power 5 school next year. Look at things objectively!

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on February 10, 2017, 01:23:45 pm
Everyone from ESPN writers to kids in Detroit have written it - I guess its only legit when Rice says so....

I guess we'll know next January, won't we?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: twistitup on February 10, 2017, 01:23:45 pm

It is legit when the writer has connections inside the University. Not just an opinion that goes on a blog which is all you have provided.

The higher-ups at the University will be the ones making the decision, not a blogger.

twistitup

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 10, 2017, 01:39:16 pm
It is legit when the writer has connections inside the University. Not just an opinion that goes on a blog which is all you have provided.

The higher-ups at the University will be the ones making the decision, not a blogger.

Please provide me with an approved list of writers

ChitownHawg

Quote from: twistitup on February 10, 2017, 02:17:34 pm
Please provide me with an approved list of writers

I gave you the criteria, so find the writers yourself. You are the one bringing blogging site into the conversation as if they are factual.

twistitup

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 10, 2017, 02:27:38 pm
I gave you the criteria, so find the writers yourself. You are the one bringing blogging site into the conversation as if they are factual.
Being on the coaching Hot Seat is not a factual designation- it more a consensus of opinion

gchamblee

Where was your friend google when you were convinced we didn't have any nutritionists on staff?

twistitup

Quote from: gchamblee on February 10, 2017, 03:30:38 pm
Where was your friend google when you were convinced we didn't have any nutritionists on staff?

It was more about our nutritional staff not being adequate. We are not cutting edge, we can leave it there

#Pbj

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on February 10, 2017, 03:38:51 pm
It was more about our nutritional staff not being adequate. We are not cutting edge, we can leave it there

#Pbj

You don't have faith in this team?

https://twitter.com/jefflongUA/status/829470970469572608

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

HamSammich

News flash.... Hotseat is a subjective topic. Everyone is allowed their opinions. In my opinion, hell yeah CBB is on a hot seat. He has Sucked at Arkansas. He may be here two more years but in my opinion he is on a hotseat. Sure my opinion may not matter but neither do the 2000000 websites , blogs, writers that deal with hotseat published news.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 10, 2017, 01:20:48 pm
Yes!  Jeff Long should be fired for hiring a football coach with the best resume of any coach ever hired in the history of the program at the time of the hiring.  He should be fired for hiring a basketball coach that had built two perceived lesser programs into Sweet 16 and Elite 8 teams.  He should be fired for taking the high road when faced with the decision to fire a coach that had placed the entire athletic department into legal financial trouble not withstanding being a national embarrassment.  He should be fired for being so well respected nationally he was selected to be the leader of the BCS committee.  Yes!  Please fire Jeff Long and get someone with less national standing and respect that can hire some head coaches with much less proven resumes in big time football and basketball.  Fire the clown!

29-43

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on February 10, 2017, 12:25:21 am
you have got to be kidding about the perspective, right ?  by choosing just the past two years it allows Bielema to look as though his record is .500.....even at that rate, the promise Bielema made us upon his introduction as coach will NEVER be attained by playing .500 football in the SEC...Bielema said he would bring the Razorback fans something we've never had before, an SEC championship....Bielema has no shot at an SEC championship in the next two years before he's asked to leave....we just don't have the bullets to get it done. This is coming down to a sad ending for a once great football program. When the UA can only out recruit two teams in the SEC, well, this pretty much means the fresh blood so vital to a flourishing program is either contaminated or just plain no good. Oh, we have recruited 4 or 5 good players, but not enough to keep us out of the SEC bottom tier from now to as far as I can see from the crow's nest. The truth hurts. I know, it's killing me right now having to say all of this.
There are numerous examples of coaches that played .500 football or worse for a while before they won a conference championship. The examples are so numerous, in fact, that in order to miss them you would have to be wholly ignorant of the history of college football. Some examples:
Bill Snyder
Art Briles
Mike Gundy
Mark Dantonio
Kirk Ferentz
Barry Alvarez
Hayden Fry
Johnny Majors
etc.

I mean do you seriously think that because Bielema hasn't won a conference championship in four years, that means he will never win one?
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on February 10, 2017, 08:44:22 pm
29-43

The last two years he is tied for third in SEC victories. The first two years were the outcome of the cumudgeon offensive genius that could not hire anyone but his family to work with him and couldn't build recruiting relations due to his lovely demeanor.

The last two games are all on this Coach. He will correctly it or not make it. But that record you love to throw up is as much on his successors as it is him.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

HamSammich

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on February 10, 2017, 09:15:33 pm

The last two years he is tied for third in SEC victories. The first two years were the outcome of the cumudgeon offensive genius that could not hire anyone but his family to work with him and couldn't build recruiting relations due to his lovely demeanor.

The last two games are all on this Coach. He will correctly it or not make it. But that record you love to throw up is as much on his successors as it is him.

29-43

Hawg Life

Quote from: 12247 on February 09, 2017, 08:03:26 pm
Anyone even half way listening to our AD when it concerns BB or Mike Anderson should know that neither is on the hotseat.  Mr. Long appears happy with both.  It would also appear, not sure, that the folks higher up that can make decisions are still happy with the AD or scared not to be since he is seen in the industry as a man of Integrity and good judgement.  As AD, he gets credit for running a tight ship though I disagree.  But I am not in the know.  He did not do well with the contract of BB, I do know that.  Boils down to we are stuck with BB good or bad and BB can decide that position without penalty.  If and when the man decides to bust his ass and get the job done to a higher level, it will happen.  He showed up here full of darn and not too bright on what it takes in the SEC.  Pulling his pud won't work into wins here.  Maybe he will put his knowledge to work and improve this team, maybe not.  Either way, he isn't on the hotseat.  I think maybe he has enough give a crap to try harder this coming season to reach a total of 9 wins.  So goes he, so goes us.

If Anderson doesn't make the tournament he's gone.

twistitup

February 11, 2017, 05:15:26 am #98 Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 07:28:52 am by twistitup
The new LB coach is another example of a Hot Seat hire imho.....could we not lure a current position coach here that has an extensive 4-3 background and proven recruiting abilities 

southeasthog

Quote from: twistitup on February 11, 2017, 05:15:26 am
The new LB coach is another example of a Hot Seat hire imho.....could we not lure a current position coach here that has an extensive 4-3 background and proven recruiting abilities 
4-3?