Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hiring while on hotseat...

Started by twistitup, February 09, 2017, 05:08:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

Quote from: twistitup on February 15, 2017, 01:26:49 pm
Winning helps attract and retain good assistants...

Actually, good assistants show up before the winning starts. Once the winning starts, it becomes harder to retain the good assistants, not easier. Do you even football bro?

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on February 15, 2017, 01:38:03 pm
Rehiring is easier for some- no so much for others.....we are the others

How do you know we have had problems on any rehires? Link please.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on February 15, 2017, 01:44:37 pm
Actually, good assistants show up before the winning starts. Once the winning starts, it becomes harder to retain the good assistants, not easier. Do you even football bro?

Well, we're certainly hiring some guys that we should be able to keep for a long time.  :)
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on February 15, 2017, 01:48:49 pm
Well, we're certainly hiring some guys that we should be able to keep for a long time.  :)

I don't care how long we keep them, as long as they serve their purpose. Right now we need help converting to a 3-4 defense and it appears that CBB has gotten a couple of guys who are respected for their ability to do so.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 15, 2017, 01:48:49 pm

Stability, I've read where that was the most important aspect of a coaching staff.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on February 15, 2017, 01:50:36 pm
I don't care how long we keep them, as long as they serve their purpose. Right now we need help converting to a 3-4 defense and it appears that CBB has gotten a couple of guys who are respected for their ability to do so.

If we have another mediocre season, will "we were transitioning to the 3-4" be a valid excuse?  Because I see that being the go-to excuse this year. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

bennyl08

Quote from: Wildhog on February 15, 2017, 01:52:37 pm
If we have another mediocre season, will "we were transitioning to the 3-4" be a valid excuse?  Because I see that being the go-to excuse this year.

Depends on why we are mediocre. If we are losing games where our defense hold the other team to under 20 points, then no, it probably won't be the go-to excuse because the defense largely did their job.

If we are losing because of our defense, then that breaks down into two possible reasons. One: We see games where the defense is very good and drives where they are very good, but at other times, our players are flat out of position or are slow one game where they are thinking to much and are objectively faster in a different game. In that scenario, which IMO is very much a possibility, yes, transitioning to the 3-4 would be the likely culprit. I.e. we have the physical talent on that side of the ball, but the 3-4 is inherently complex and something a lot of these athletes have never used before, so they'd be likely to miss assignments and having to think instead of play.

If we are losing because of our defense that isn't even showing flashes of talent but just looks slower and weaker then you'll probably see a mix with some holding onto the defensive scheme change as an excuse for poor talent and others claiming we just don't have the talent. This is unlikely IMO as we do have good talent on that side of the ball. We have NFL level players at every level of our defense.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hogcard1964

There's no doubt we're going to have another mediocre or bad season.  However, there's a myriad of excuses people will be able to use. 

gchamblee

If we have a bad season, I wont be able to tell you why it happened until I see it happen. I know you are trying to set the stage for next years moaning, but you would be wise to wait and whine about what really happened instead of what you figure will happen. Your tactic is not fresh or unique, people see it from quite a distance.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 15, 2017, 02:27:51 pm
There's no doubt we're going to have another mediocre or bad season.  However, there's a myriad of excuses people will be able to use.

We don't make excuses corky. We are perfectly fine with 7 wins per year. We are hoping CBB gets an extension due to all the kids that are graduating. Winning is so yesterday.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on February 15, 2017, 02:34:21 pm
If we have a bad season, I wont be able to tell you why it happened until I see it happen. I know you are trying to set the stage for next years moaning, but you would be wise to wait and whine about what really happened instead of what you figure will happen. Your tactic is not fresh or unique, people see it from quite a distance.

Not trying to hide it.  I have no faith in Bielema.  Just trying to get out in front of the excuses.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on February 15, 2017, 02:36:00 pm
We don't make excuses corky. We are perfectly fine with 7 wins per year. We are hoping CBB gets an extension due to all the kids that are graduating. Winning is so yesterday.

:)
1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on February 15, 2017, 02:37:38 pm
Not trying to hide it.  I have no faith in Bielema.  Just trying to get out in front of the excuses.

Why get out in front of them? Did you make it your mission to save the program from the casual fan who isnt smart enough to see the cancer that is eating away at it? Are you afraid people will still be supportive?

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on February 15, 2017, 02:36:00 pm

+1000

common

factchecker

Quote from: gchamblee on February 15, 2017, 02:40:27 pm
Are you afraid people will still be supportive?

This is their biggest fear.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogcard1964

Why get out in front of them? Did you make it your mission to save the program from the casual fan who isnt smart enough to see the cancer that is eating away at it? Are you afraid people will still be supportive?

Cancer-shmanser!!!

We all fall in line!!!

gchamblee

For someone that has accepted who we are and our firm grip on mediocrity, you sure do not support the team very well. If you accept it and are fine with it like you claim, drop the emotional breakdown schtick and get on board. Have the balls to stand behind the program you have accepted and are a fan of. Speaking out of both sides of your mouth looks silly. You're wishy washy. You proclaim to be a fan of a mediocre program that you accept, yet lack the conviction to get behind them and support them.

For the record, I know you don't accept it and are not supportive of it. Whining like a little girl is the only tactic you know how to employ, I assume from it being your goto for your entire life. And just to help you out, nobody here is fooled by your schtick.

Wildhog

Quote from: factchecker on February 15, 2017, 02:39:58 pm

One of my all time favorite movies.  Turns out it was a documentary.

1909/1964/1965/1977

Jek Tono Porkins

The main problem I see with the 3-4 is creating pressure along the front.

Pretty much every coach that runs a 3-4 agrees that in a 3-4 the most important position is the nose tackle. He's got to be really big in order to take on being double-teamed on pretty much every play but also athletic enough and strong enough to create pressure despite the double-team. Using last season's weights, Bijhon Jackson is the only guy on the roster capable of playing that position. Capps and Guidry are capable if they put on some pounds. We're going to have some good DE's in Agim and Beanum and a couple others, but if the NT doesn't do his job the DE's will be neutralized. It will be a very long season if the NT can't do his job.

However, maybe this change is a reaction to the past couple of years. We couldn't create any pressure up front with a 4-3 anyway. If we sat back and played coverage opposing QB's had tons of time to make a play. If we can't create any pressure up front anyway, may as well switch to a 3-4 and instead of being straightforward and manhandling opposing o-lines (2014 defense), try to confuse the opposing o-lines with some creative blitzing. Only time will tell. Honestly, I don't see it panning out so well. But what we were doing the past 2 seasons obviously wasn't working, so credit to CBB for making a change. If the defense wasn't going to get any better in the 4-3 scheme anyway, make a change.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

factchecker

Quote from: Wildhog on February 15, 2017, 02:46:48 pm
One of my all time favorite movies.  Turns out it was a documentary.

Especially the opening scene:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

twistitup

Quote from: gchamblee on February 15, 2017, 01:44:37 pm
Actually, good assistants show up before the winning starts. Do you even football bro?

Laughable...

Football...did you play or just on the computer?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on February 15, 2017, 02:46:09 pm
For someone that has accepted who we are and our firm grip on mediocrity, you sure do not support the team very well. If you accept it and are fine with it like you claim, drop the emotional breakdown schtick and get on board. Have the balls to stand behind the program you have accepted and are a fan of. Speaking out of both sides of your mouth looks silly. You're wishy washy. You proclaim to be a fan of a mediocre program that you accept, yet lack the conviction to get behind them and support them.

For the record, I know you don't accept it and are not supportive of it. Whining like a little girl is the only tactic you know how to employ, I assume from it being your goto for your entire life. And just to help you out, nobody here is fooled by your schtick.

Nobody's breaking down, I simply don't care if the program improves in the near future. Fans like yourself have created this monster.  I'm simply enjoying watching your ilk perform mental gymnastics in order to defend your mess.  Keep twisting.

bennyl08

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 15, 2017, 02:47:42 pm

Pretty much every coach that runs a 3-4 agrees that in a 3-4 the most important position is the nose tackle. He's got to be really big in order to take on being double-teamed on pretty much every play but also athletic enough and strong enough to create pressure despite the double-team. Using last season's weights, Bijhon Jackson is the only guy on the roster capable of playing that position. Capps and Guidry are capable if they put on some pounds. We're going to have some good DE's in Agim and Beanum and a couple others, but if the NT doesn't do his job the DE's will be neutralized. It will be a very long season if the NT can't do his job.

However, maybe this change is a reaction to the past couple of years. We couldn't create any pressure up front with a 4-3 anyway. If we sat back and played coverage opposing QB's had tons of time to make a play. If we can't create any pressure up front anyway, may as well switch to a 3-4 and instead of being straightforward and manhandling opposing o-lines (2014 defense), try to confuse the opposing o-lines with some creative blitzing. Only time will tell. Honestly, I don't see it panning out so well. But what we were doing the past 2 seasons obviously wasn't working, so credit to CBB for making a change. If the defense wasn't going to get any better in the 4-3 scheme anyway, make a change.

Beanum isn't on the team for the upcoming season.

Also, I had the same thoughts on you for a while, but those thoughts are from outdated information. What you are talking is the traditional 2-gap 3-4 system. The NT has to eat up double blockers and the only guy on our team who has the size to do that play in and play out is Bijhon who to date hasn't had the conditioning to be a play in play out player. However, there is also the 1-gap 3-4 defense where you don't have to eat up double teams on the DL and particularly NT. You can have a Philon sized NT who's job it is to be aggressive if you want in that scheme.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

gchamblee

Quote from: twistitup on February 15, 2017, 02:50:03 pm
Laughable...

Football...did you play or just on the computer?

Turned down 2 scholly offers from small colleges for both football and band. Was tired of school and ready to get on with women, drugs, sleeping all day and working on my car. Never once have I claimed to be smart.

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on February 15, 2017, 02:55:06 pm
Turned down 2 scholly offers from small colleges for both football and band. Was tired of school and ready to get on with women, drugs, sleeping all day and working on my car. Never once have I claimed to be smart.

You should have stuck with the trombone.  You really knew how to work it.   ;)

Wildhog

Quote from: factchecker on February 15, 2017, 02:48:17 pm
Especially the opening scene:

Maybe the most spot-on scene in movie history.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

I guess I'm like anyone else on here that tries to sell others on their opinion. My opinion just isn't as popular as others' at the moment, so I tend to get harsh, personal replies.  Many from you.

I do try to back up my opinion with facts, though.
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on February 15, 2017, 03:05:59 pm
I guess I'm like anyone else on here that tries to sell others on their opinion. My opinion just isn't as popular as others' at the moment, so I tend to get harsh, personal replies.  Many from you.

I do try to back up my opinion with facts, though.

fair answer

ChitownHawg

February 15, 2017, 03:30:38 pm #281 Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:02:55 pm by ChitownHawg

320 is the average 3-4 NT in NFL.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/3/17/5509510/nfl-34-defenses-atlanta-falcons-mike-nolan

Here is a projected 3-4 defensive roster for us:

Jackson (320) and Capps (309) at NT

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-football-2017-preview-depth-chart

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

twistitup

Nice...just checking. I played too and have never seen a bad team loaded w good assistants 

gchamblee

Quote from: twistitup on February 15, 2017, 03:41:39 pm
Nice...just checking. I played too and have never seen a bad team loaded w good assistants

Did they have a good nutritionist where you played?

HamSammich

That's the main problem????? I sort of thought it was that we were changing to a defense that highlights our worst position group.

twistitup

Quote from: gchamblee on February 15, 2017, 03:55:23 pm
Did they have a good nutritionist where you played?

Yes...but things have come a long ways since the late 90's- nutrition programs included.

Btw... Having a nutritionist and a top notch nutrition program are two different things.

bennyl08

Quote from: twistitup on February 15, 2017, 03:41:39 pm

Check out the 1993 Cleveland Browns.

HC: Bill Belichick
Kirk Ferentz: Longtime Iowa HC was the OL coach.
John Mithcel: Longtime Steelers DL coach was the browns DL coach

Go back to 92 and you lose Ferentz as a big time coach but you get Al Groh who was a long time college HC as well who was their LB coach.

EDIT: Forgot that Nick Saban was their defensive coordinator as well.

LZH

Even though we never agree, I knew there had to be a reason we've always gotten along.....and here it is.

twistitup

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 15, 2017, 05:05:05 pm

Go back to 92 and you lose Ferentz as a big time coach but you get Al Groh who was a long time college HC as well who was their LB coach.

How long did it take to find that ONE example? Hopefully you didnt waste too much time trying to prove me wrong.

The fact remains- good coaches go to good programs....not the other way around. The pool of coaches wanting to coach for CBB seems to be getting shallow.

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on February 16, 2017, 10:28:23 am
How long did it take to find that ONE example? Hopefully you didnt waste too much time trying to prove me wrong.

The fact remains- good coaches go to good programs....not the other way around. The pool of coaches wanting to coach for CBB seems to be getting shallow.

You have no proof of that, just your conjecture.

twistitup

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 15, 2017, 05:05:05 pm

gchamblee

Link?

bennyl08

It took about 30 seconds because I knew Bill Bellichick and Saban were on the same browns team, just had too google their names and Brown to find what year it actually was. It's always strange how people like to try and make fun of somebody knowing something. The whole anti-intellectual movement is a weird one.

I'm a football nerd. Trivia like that is what I do. I'd wager a guess that there are a lot more teams like that out there, but not worth the time to find them.

That Browns team did eventually go on to go 11-5 for one season. However, it took several seasons with arguably two of the best coaches of the past 30 years many seasons to get there.

southeasthog

Quote from: twistitup on February 15, 2017, 01:26:49 pm
Winning helps attract and retain good assistants...
I bet good coaches don't lose four games in a row with one of those being to ULM either.

twistitup

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 16, 2017, 11:22:19 am
It took about 30 seconds because I knew Bill Bellichick and Saban were on the same browns team, just had too google their names and Brown to find what year it actually was. It's always strange how people like to try and make fun of somebody knowing something. The whole anti-intellectual movement is a weird one.

I'm a football nerd. Trivia like that is what I do. I'd wager a guess that there are a lot more teams like that out there, but not worth the time to find them.

That Browns team did eventually go on to go 11-5 for one season. However, it took several seasons with arguably two of the best coaches of the past 30 years many seasons to get there.

Anti-intellectual movement? Good one.

Link please....I guess I'm out of the loop on this; similar to the alt-right movement?

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Bret is only on Hogville's hotseat.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

twistitup

bennyl08

Quote from: twistitup on February 16, 2017, 04:13:21 pm
Anti-intellectual movement? Good one.

Link please....I guess I'm out of the loop on this; similar to the alt-right movement?

Link on the browns coaching staff, or link showing people not believing in science and having a general disdain for academics or facts? Check out the threat on the razorbacks GPA for some evidence of the latter.

twistitup

bennyl08

Quote from: twistitup on February 21, 2017, 04:51:55 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/reports-alabama-to-hire-patriots-assistant-brian-daboll-as-offensive-coordinator-030803184.html

So you are saying that Saban is on the hot seat because his hire for his OC is somebody with similar resume to our positional hires, or are you saying that maybe hiring somebody like that isn't necessarily a terrible thing after all?