Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is this Bielema's Do or Die Season?

Started by HogimusMaximus, February 09, 2017, 12:58:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogimusMaximus

If he doesn't get it done this year should we go a different direction.  I think worse than 7-5 or worse and we need a new coach.

cosmodrum

We should, but I have no confidence in our AD.
Go away, batin'

theFlyingHog

Barring some form of catastrophe, he'll get another year beyond the coming season. 8 wins with decent losses won't bother Long. If we continue to lose games in a similar fashion to Mizz, Aub and VT....seat will be pretty warm

Supermark101

15 million reason why it will not be, and if I remember right, 11 million the year after. He isn't going anywhere. He'd have to go sub 6-6 for his seat to even start to.warm up.

Swine-as-wine

What exactly makes a "warm seat"? The fact that he has two years remaining on his contract, in no way lessens the heat
on his already hot as hell seat I assure you. At the end of the final two years of his contract, he'll be as gone as Petrino,
Nutt, and any other coach we've ever had that got fired.

Supermark101

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on February 09, 2017, 04:26:50 am
What exactly makes a "warm seat"? The fact that he has two years remaining on his contract, in no way lessens the heat
on his already hot as hell seat I assure you. At the end of the final two years of his contract, he'll be as gone as Petrino,

Warm seat = unhappy AD and major boosters (the one paying his buyout)

He has more than 2 years left. That's just the amount of time til the buyout is in single digets.

hogcard1964

According to Bielema it is.  We'll see...

King Kong

If he goes 7-5 and I don't think he gets fired. But he will lose all confidence in the fan base

Pork Twain

February 09, 2017, 06:36:40 am #8 Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 07:04:56 am by Pork Twain
For me it is.  He has a roster full of his players and depth.  Contrary to what some might think, I do not drink the Kool-Aid and I am not a homer.  I am just about giving a coach a chance to get all of his ducks in a row.  This is the year he either gets there or gets gone.  Below is what I think could realistically happen this year but I would still be happy with 9 wins and a bowl game

Florida A&M* - W 1-0
TCU - W 2-0
Texas A&M* - W 3-0
New Mexico St W 4-0
@South Carolina W 5-0
@Alabama L 5-1
Auburn W 6-1
@Ole Miss W 7-1
C. Carolina W 8-1
@LSU L 8-2
Miss St W 9-2
Missouri W 10-2
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

onebadrubi

As long he continues to show improvement he's got definite two most seasons (including the upcoming one). This based on buyout mainly.

According to some in jump ball though, a basketball coach should be given 8-9 seasons

southeasthog

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 09, 2017, 06:36:40 am
For me it is.  He has a roster full of his players and depth.  Contrary to what some might think, I do not drink the Kool-Aid and I am not a homer.  I am just about giving a coach a chance to get all of his ducks in a row.  This is the year he either gets there or gets gone.
This.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

grayhawg

The Missouri and V Tech games did it for me, but of course my vote means nothing.

hawganatic

After this last season, I'm not completely off the bandwagon, but that left foot is feeling around for the step down.

This was the first season we didn't see a marked improvement from the previous season.  Now we have to see if this was an anomaly, and he is going to continue to improve the program, or if he has hit his ceiling and this is the best he is going to do.

Next season if we do equal or less than this season, I think both of my feet will hit the ground and will be running off into the night screaming fire Beliema.

I am encouraged though from the changes he's made on defense.  New personnel and new scheme should make things interested for next season.  If nothing else for the usual suspects screaming that this is going to be the best defense we ever had...

hawganatic

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 09, 2017, 06:43:15 am
As long he continues to show improvement he's got definite two most seasons (including the upcoming one). This based on buyout mainly.

According to some in jump ball though, a basketball coach should be given 8-9 seasons

Think there is only one screaming that in Jump Ball.  Believe that same person was wanting the entire football defensive staff gone...  Good logic there...

ricepig

Nope, as in he won't be fired after this season, but it possibly signals the end is much closer.

Hogwild

Quote from: cosmodrum on February 09, 2017, 01:14:53 am
We should, but I have no confidence in our AD.

I also have  no confidence in our AD hiring his replacement.  It would be the 4th head football coach he has hired since 2008.

Razorbackers

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 09, 2017, 06:24:45 am
According to Bielema it is.  We'll see...

Yeah, year 5 and 6 are when you should start to see a real system come into place. He's recruited well, he's proven that he can hang with anybody in the conference with the right guys. Now he just has to get out there and do it. I truly hope he succeeds in these next 2 seasons because I really like him as a coach.

go hogues

It's going to be very difficult to reach .500 ball this season. That said, his buyout is still too high and we've seen in recent years how tough it is for even storied SEC programs to hire a quality replacement. He'll be here through at least 2018.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

longtimeHogfan

For me it is.  It's year 5....nothing less than 10 'W's is acceptable.  After Auburn, Missouri and VT the bloom's off his rose for me.   Put up or........
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

nchogg

I for one am also tired at being at or close to the bottom of the SEC. When we lost to Auby, MZ and VA tech it took a lot of wind out of my sails. I have always pretty much defended our program but this year will only hope for the best (wait and see). Maybe I am just getting tired of wanting my razorbacks to be a contender in the SEC West.

hawganatic

Quote from: go hogues on February 09, 2017, 08:09:19 am
It's going to be very difficult to reach .500 ball this season. That said, his buyout is still too high and we've seen in recent years how tough it is for even storied SEC programs to hire a quality replacement. He'll be here through at least 2018.

Why is it going to be difficult to reach .500 ball?  And are you talking about in conference or overall record? 

Here's the schedule for next season.  I see four non conference we should win, three conference games I think we will walk in, two that are going to be tough but definitely winnable, one that I have no idea because they've been so all over the board, 1 that we will probably lose but we usually give them a great game, and only one that I might not even watch...

Sept. 2 – FLORIDA A&M (Little Rock, Ark.)
Sept. 9 – TCU
Sept. 16 – Open Date
Sept. 23 – vs. Texas A&M* (Arlington, Texas)
Sept. 30 – NEW MEXICO STATE
Oct. 7 – at South Carolina*
Oct. 14 – at Alabama*
Oct. 21 – AUBURN*
Oct. 28 – at Ole Miss*
Nov. 4 – COASTAL CAROLINA
Nov. 11 – at LSU*
Nov. 18 – MISSISSIPPI STATE*
Nov. 25 – MISSOURI*

hogcard1964

JIHawg

Gee, another one of these posts.  For the knee jerk club, it's always a coach's do or die season.  This will be no different.  Wish we had a knee jerk thread for these kinds of posts.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on February 09, 2017, 12:58:33 am
If he doesn't get it done this year should we go a different direction.  I think worse than 7-5 or worse and we need a new coach.

7-5 and he stays. Worse than that depends. If it is worse than 7 wins due to massive injuries then he probably stays.

Less than 7 wins due to being out played and he may go. Just hard to say without knowing how the "money" people feel about him as they are the ones who can apply pressure.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Supermark101 on February 09, 2017, 03:32:19 am
15 million reason why it will not be, and if I remember right, 11 million the year after. He isn't going anywhere. He'd have to go sub 6-6 for his seat to even start to.warm up.

Whoa! That is some job security.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

wachhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 09, 2017, 08:33:46 am
Huh?
I have never understood why a coach should be judged on ANYTHING but his conference record. The rent-a-wins should be considered simply practice sessions.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hawganatic on February 09, 2017, 08:27:07 am
Why is it going to be difficult to reach .500 ball?  And are you talking about in conference or overall record? 

Here's the schedule for next season.  I see four non conference we should win, three conference games I think we will walk in, two that are going to be tough but definitely winnable, one that I have no idea because they've been so all over the board, 1 that we will probably lose but we usually give them a great game, and only one that I might not even watch...

Sept. 9 – TCU
Sept. 16 – Open Date
Oct. 14 – at Alabama*
Oct. 21 – AUBURN*
Oct. 28 – at Ole Miss*
Nov. 11 – at LSU*
Nov. 25 – MISSOURI*

This time last year some were posting .500 was going to be hard to reach. Don't melt in the last two games and this would have been a fantastic year. Even with the melts we didn't even come close to be a sub .500 team as some project.

go hogues

Quote from: hawganatic on February 09, 2017, 08:27:07 am

Sept. 9 – TCU
Sept. 16 – Open Date
Oct. 14 – at Alabama*
Oct. 21 – AUBURN*
Oct. 28 – at Ole Miss*
Nov. 11 – at LSU*
Nov. 25 – MISSOURI*
I only see three sure wins on that schedule.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

ChitownHawg

Quote from: go hogues on February 09, 2017, 08:53:18 am

Beyond Bama, who in the West has "sure wins" when playing a conference game?

factchecker

Quote from: go hogues on February 09, 2017, 08:53:18 am

Quote from: go hogues on October 10, 2016, 10:08:12 am
Ole Miss is better than A&M.

Chad Kelly will have a record day against us - as has become the norm for any QB we face.

Quote from: go hogues on November 18, 2016, 12:15:02 pm
The deck is stacked against us this weekend, no doubt about it. They have all the intangibles in their favor.

I'm predicting a shockingly lopsided loss at the hands of the team that lost to South Alabama.

Quote from: go hogues on November 15, 2016, 08:55:40 pm
MSU 45
Hogs 21

This team has quit.

Quote from: go hogues on November 04, 2016, 10:19:52 am
This should push the line even further in UF's favor. Anthracite (see: gimmick) means certain loss.

Quote from: go hogues on September 09, 2016, 07:01:48 pm
This.

Frogs by at least ten points

You're not very good at this.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ChitownHawg

Quote from: factchecker on February 09, 2017, 08:59:39 am

I tip my hat to your fact-checking ability. Thanks for shining a light on the subject.  ;D

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: theFlyingHog on February 09, 2017, 01:19:04 am
Barring some form of catastrophe, he'll get another year beyond the coming season. 8 wins with decent losses won't bother Long. If we continue to lose games in a similar fashion to Mizz, Aub and VT....seat will be pretty warm
I tend to agree.  Average 8 wins will keep him employed as long he wants to be.  Now, continued 2nd half meltdowns and lack of discipline might change that.

Bubba's Bruisers

I think 7-9 wins is in order for 2017.  I'll go with 8-4, which is improvement...I predicted 7-5 for 2016.  2017 results will give BB some additional breathing room, and he'll be around through at least the 2019 season if he wants.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on February 09, 2017, 12:58:33 am
Should be, but who knows...He does get a pass for his first year though.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hawganatic

Is this how somebody gets owned on a message board??

Nice job...

ricepig

But he appears to be consistent, maybe he can help out some on our consistency problem of last year.

hawganatic

Quote from: JIHawg on February 09, 2017, 08:41:03 am
Gee, another one of these posts.  For the knee jerk club, it's always a coach's do or die season.  This will be no different.  Wish we had a knee jerk thread for these kinds of posts.

You're  right that the "do or die" phrase is used too much, particularly when it comes to individual games (how many games did we have this year that people claimed would change the trajectory of the season).

In this situation though I think it is fitting.  I can deal with this past season.  Things happen and you can't get down every time things get off track.  If it happens two years in a row though it starts becoming the norm.  What we saw last season can't be the norm.

hawganatic

Quote from: ricepig on February 09, 2017, 09:32:05 am
But he appears to be consistent, maybe he can help out some on our consistency problem of last year.

That's like saying we consistently miss tackles...  Not always a good thing...

go hogues

I consistently called for a 6-6 season last year. We finished one game better. I figure that's gotta count for something?
Quote from: go hogues on March 03, 2016, 12:03:15 pm
Louisiana Tech - W
at TCU - L
Texas State - W
vs. Texas A&M - L
Alcorn State - W
Alabama - L
Ole Miss - L
at Auburn - L
Florida - L
LSU - W
at Mississippi State - W
at Missouri - W

6-6 and that will be saying something against that schedule and the personnel we return.

Wildhog

Quote from: Supermark101 on February 09, 2017, 03:32:19 am

This.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawganatic on February 09, 2017, 07:53:20 am
Think there is only one screaming that in Jump Ball.  Believe that same person was wanting the entire football defensive staff gone...  Good logic there...

Nah, more than one, there is a few.  They are just starting to learn to be quiet

factchecker

Quote from: go hogues on February 09, 2017, 09:42:47 am
I consistently called for a 6-6 season last year. We finished one game better. I figure that's gotta count for something?

True.  It was really hard to get a read on the team regardless.

It seems like you pick us to lose against Ole Miss every year.  Keep on doing it..... maybe it's a reverse jinx.  ;)
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on February 09, 2017, 04:26:50 am

Each persons seat description of warm is different.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogcard1964

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 09, 2017, 09:12:10 am

I don't buy that.  On no known planet should Arkansas not win a one conference game through an entire season.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 09, 2017, 09:12:10 am

Wait a minute.... oh the dayum irony.....  So mike should get more years but Bielema should have his fate decided after this upcoming season?

So you give Mike more time, in a sport that was in a better spot when he showed up, is perceived to be a nationally weaker conference, a sport that he has turned his roster over more than once completely, had a completely disastrous recruiting season, but Mike gets and deserves more time.  Man, this world really does have some crazies.

ballhogger

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 09, 2017, 06:36:40 am
For me it is.  He has a roster full of his players and depth.  Contrary to what some might think, I do not drink the Kool-Aid and I am not a homer.  I am just about giving a coach a chance to get all of his ducks in a row.  This is the year he either gets there or gets gone.  Below is what I think could realistically happen this year but I would still be happy with 9 wins and a bowl game

Florida A&M* - W 1-0
TCU - W 2-0
Texas A&M* - W 3-0
New Mexico St W 4-0
@South Carolina W 5-0
@Alabama L 5-1
Auburn W 6-1
@Ole Miss W 7-1
C. Carolina W 8-1
@LSU L 8-2
Miss St W 9-2
Missouri W 10-2

I could see a scenario where we lose to Bama, LSU, Auburn, and A&M and maybe one more depending on how our D plays, but I could also see where we win at least 9.  Who knows.  Our Offense should be really strong next year barring injury and we should be improved on Defense I would think.

Heardo

No, it is not a do or die season next year.

HamSammich

He will win 8 games or 7 with a nice Bama upset or something and get a mega contract extension. Jeff Long will make it happen.

ricepig

Quote from: HamSammich on February 09, 2017, 10:25:42 am
He will win 8 games or 7 with a nice Bama upset or something and get a mega contract extension. Jeff Long will make it happen.

One can only hope!

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977