Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Already in the Top 10 For 2017!

Started by Next1_04, February 08, 2017, 09:46:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Next1_04

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18640822/washington-huskies-baylor-bears-10-easiest-nonconference-schedules-2017

10. Arkansas

Sept. 2: vs. Florida A&M (in Little Rock, Ark.)
Sept. 9: TCU
Sept. 30: New Mexico State
Nov. 4: Coastal Carolina

The Hogs swept all four of their nonconference games a year ago and still just barely finished with a winning record. They were 7-6, but lost three of their last four games. They could use another nonconference sweep in 2017 if they're going to have a big season, and the lineup doesn't look particularly daunting.

The only real challenge figures to come from TCU at home. The Hogs beat the Horned Frogs on the road last season and won't have to leave the state of Arkansas for any of their nonconference games in 2017.

factchecker

Now post the top 10 for toughest overall schedule or the toughest conference skid without a bye.  DO IT.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Next1_04

Quote from: factchecker on February 08, 2017, 09:51:51 am
Now post the top 10 for toughest overall schedule or the toughest conference skid without a bye.  DO IT.

I would but they didn't write about that. They did have they toughest "Non Con" schedule if you are interested. Just click the link and scroll on down.

factchecker

TCU was scheduled when they were barely missing out on the playoffs.  I would love nothing more to have marquee, prime time match-ups every week but it isn't going to happen.  To get the big name opponents you have to play neutral and home/home matchups.  Would losing a home game every other year be offset by playing a better opponent?  Maybe.

Hopefully when we get out of the contract with WMS we might be able to work something out.

It could be worse we could have a horrible non-conference schedule plus play in a garbage conference like SEC basketball.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

King Kong

Wildhog

I'd schedule four FCS opponents if I could.  Still have to play eight SEC teams.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

King Kong

Quote from: Wildhog on February 08, 2017, 11:24:30 am
I'd schedule four FCS opponents if I could.  Still have to play eight SEC teams.

Same

onebadrubi

We've been ranked in the top 5 each if the past 3-5 seasons in toughest schedules. This is long overdue, especially for an odd year!

ChicoHog

Totally disagree.  I want 9 conf games, 1 big home and home power 5 (play the home game the same year you have 4 conf home games) and then 2 Group of 5 games like Mtn West or AAC teams.  I hate playing those FCS teams.  Time to step up the schedule for all teams but especially the SEC and ACC who only play 8 conf games.  And no cupcakes at end of season like Bama, UF, Auburn, etc., do every year. Sucks for the fans to have to see those games in November. 

FANONTHEHILL

CBS Sports did a 2017 Strength of Schedule for 2017 on January 31st.  This will of course update as the year progresses, but Arkansas comes in at #39 nationally.  #7 schedule in the West and 11th overall in the SEC.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2017-cfb-strength-of-schedule/

It will be a top 20 in difficulty schedule by the season's end.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Redhogs

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 08, 2017, 11:16:47 pm
Totally disagree.  I want 9 conf games, 1 big home and home power 5 (play the home game the same year you have 4 conf home games) and then 2 Group of 5 games like Mtn West or AAC teams.  I hate playing those FCS teams.  Time to step up the schedule for all teams but especially the SEC and ACC who only play 8 conf games.  And no cupcakes at end of season like Bama, UF, Auburn, etc., do every year. Sucks for the fans to have to see those games in November.
Agree...FBS should be barred from playing any FCS schools.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Biggus Piggus

When was it that we were supposed to play Michigan, until they bailed?
[CENSORED]!

factchecker

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 09, 2017, 07:35:40 am
When was it that we were supposed to play Michigan, until they bailed?

at Michigan in 2018
home vs. Michigan in 2019
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

nchogg

Starting with A&M it looks like we play 10 games without a bye, we have a bye the week before A&M. Looks great, we will see how the team will stay together. We better have some very good back ups.

JIHawg

The O.P. tried to start another negative thread, and it turned positive.  Some of you guys aren't getting with the program.

Piggfoot

Quote from: factchecker on February 08, 2017, 09:58:00 am
TCU was scheduled when they were barely missing out on the playoffs.  I would love nothing more to have marquee, prime time match-ups every week but it isn't going to happen.  To get the big name opponents you have to play neutral and home/home matchups.  Would losing a home game every other year be offset by playing a better opponent?  Maybe.

Hopefully when we get out of the contract with WMS we might be able to work something out.

It could be worse we could have a horrible non-conference schedule plus play in a garbage conference like SEC basketball.
I'll say it again. We need to keep TCU as a home and home. Then add Rice and Houston as home and homes. That's two games in Dallas counting A&M and Two in Houston. We must re-establish our presence in Texas. It's ok to have one rent-a-win at home but not three.
If we cant keep TCU then replace them every so often with Baylor and maybe Texas but I'm not crazy about that unless we improve our recruiting.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Youngsta71701

February 09, 2017, 09:16:08 am #16 Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 01:02:46 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: Redhogs on February 09, 2017, 07:27:53 am
Agree...FBS should be barred from playing any FCS schools.
That would kill the FCS schools. That's their money maker. Probably the only way they survive.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

EastexHawg

Why would anyone want to pay to see games against Florida A&M, New Mexico State, and Coastal Carolina?  If tickets were sold on an individual game basis (rather than season tickets) there wouldn't be 25,000 who would pay to get into those so-called contests.

It's like paying to see 1988 Mike Tyson fight a 14 year old.  The outcome is certain and it proves nothing.

Wildhog

I'd rather be bowl eligible.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Atlhogfan1

F the fans.  8 regular season SEC games with most within a 10 week or so window and only 85 scholarship players.  Football is too brutal of a sport physically plus the mental part that has to go into as well to keep adding difficulty and games onto it.  Let the fans take a week off if they don't want to watch.  Relax and enjoy watching a win on tv.  Check out other games.  Go hunting if a late season rent a win is on the schedule.  No issue with Bama scheduling someone like UTC in November when they start the month usually with LSU and finish with Auburn.  Emotional and physical games. 

Enough fans will attend the rent a wins because football is an event.  Not just a game. 

Hopefully we won't waste the player development opportunity and the chance to give our key players a little break. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jkstock04

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 09, 2017, 09:27:53 am
Why would anyone want to pay to see games against Florida A&M, New Mexico State, and Coastal Carolina?  If tickets were sold on an individual game basis (rather than season tickets) there wouldn't be 25,000 who would pay to get into those so-called contests.

It's like paying to see 1988 Mike Tyson fight a 14 year old.  The outcome is certain and it proves nothing.
Yes, for people that actually go to the games it does matter.

On a personal note what Ive always disliked is how that 1st week of the season we always play vs the sisters of the poor, while the programs aspiring to be serious contenders play a big time...playoff implicating match up.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 09, 2017, 09:52:38 am

On a personal note what Ive always disliked is how that 1st week of the season we always play vs the sisters of the poor, while the programs aspiring to be serious contenders play a big time...playoff implicating match up.

Many of those are neutral site games.  By locking ourselves into the series with A&M in Dallas, we took away that kind of scheduling flexibility even after A&M came into the SEC. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

factchecker

I think there is an advantage to playing our big non-con game in week 2.  That exciting game against TCU was probably the best game week 2 last season.  I'm not sure if we want our big game to be lumped in with the rest.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Quote from: factchecker on February 09, 2017, 10:01:11 am
I think there is an advantage to playing our big non-con game in week 2.  That exciting game against TCU was probably the best game week 2 last season.  I'm not sure if we want our big game to be lumped in with the rest.

I agree.
1909/1964/1965/1977

DoctorSusscrofa

If we played a big-time program like USC the first game of the year, would that be a marquee game for them?  I remember playing them in LA early in a season and 1.) we lost big time, 2.) it wasn't a marquee game for anybody but us, and 3.) the tv networks and big time programs did not knock our door down wanting us to play in Kickoff classics.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Seebs

If played correctly, should begin the season with sitting some players after halftime in these games in preparation for the gauntlet of 10 straight.

Bring on the cupcakes
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Next1_04

Quote from: JIHawg on February 09, 2017, 08:44:44 am
The O.P. tried to start another negative thread, and it turned positive.  Some of you guys aren't getting with the program.

Well aren't you just an assumption maker. I didn't write anything in the body of the post. Just copied and pasted direct from ESPN. I believe you were the first one in the thread to say the word "negative" so shame on you, sir. So you turned it into a negative. Tisk Tisk.

jkstock04

Quote from: factchecker on February 09, 2017, 10:01:11 am
Just my personal opinion, no factual data to back this up...but that 1st week of the season trumps the 2nd week big time.

The build up throughout the summer of those handful of marquee OOC matchups really makes a lot of noise and gets brands out there. Our fans (at least online) overwhelmingly are against this type of thing for our team.

Look at last year week one what the rest of the SEC west did....

LSU plays Wisconsin at Lambeau field.

Bama plays USC in Arlington night time slot.

Auburn plays Clemson at home night time slot.

Ole Miss plays Florida st in Orlando. On a Monday night time slot.

Mississippi st plays south Alabama in the morning (and loses).

We of course played La Tech in a tough game.

Arkansas and Mississippi st are the only SEC west teams who didn't try and make a loud bang out of the gate.  Like I said, just my personal opinion...but I think there is something to that. And say what you will about Ole Miss, but at least they TRIED to play with the big boys on AND OFF the field even if they end up failing.

I mean, if it's such a terrible idea why are most of the rest of our division taking part? Do you really think people (OR RECRUITS) are going to remember a 2nd week game vs TCU as much as a night slot opening week vs a Florida st or USC?

It just seems like other teams do something unique to get their names out there week 1 while we do not. South Carolina the past few years is playing on Thursday night on opening week.

Edit:  Forgot about A&M. They played UCLA opening week.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Next1_04

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 09, 2017, 12:18:28 pm
Just my personal opinion, no factual data to back this up...but that 1st week of the season trumps the 2nd week big time.

The build up throughout the summer of those handful of marquee OOC matchups really makes a lot of noise and gets brands out there. Our fans (at least online) overwhelmingly are against this type of thing for our team.

Look at last year week one what the rest of the SEC west did....

LSU plays Wisconsin at Lambeau field.

Bama plays USC in Arlington night time slot.

Auburn plays Clemson at home night time slot.

Ole Miss plays Florida st in Orlando. On a Monday night time slot.

Mississippi st plays south Alabama in the morning (and loses).

We of course played La Tech in a tough game.

Arkansas and Mississippi st are the only SEC west teams who didn't try and make a loud bang out of the gate.  Like I said, just my personal opinion...but I think there is something to that. And say what you will about Ole Miss, but at least they TRIED to play with the big boys on AND OFF the field even if they end up failing.

I mean, if it's such a terrible idea why are most of the rest of our division taking part? Do you really think people (OR RECRUITS) are going to remember a 2nd week game vs TCU as much as a night slot opening week vs a Florida st or USC?

It just seems like other teams do something unique to get their names out there week 1 while we do not. South Carolina the past few years is playing on Thursday night on opening week.

Edit:  Forgot about A&M. They played UCLA opening week.

I like it. I think if we are going to play with the big boys we at least need to try it. I remember us playing USC in 06' the first game. That didn't turn out to well but since then nothing of the sorts. I think our game vs Michigan would have been a good opener personally.

jkstock04

Quote from: Next1_04 on February 09, 2017, 12:35:33 pm
I like it. I think if we are going to play with the big boys we at least need to try it. I remember us playing USC in 06' the first game. That didn't turn out to well but since then nothing of the sorts. I think our game vs Michigan would have been a good opener personally.
Would've been awesome. No chance I would've missed that road trip....talk about an experience as a fan I would've remembered the rest of my life. Seeing the Hogs play in The Big House. Too bad they screwed us over on that.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Wildhog

I'd rather not be competing for viewers against those games.  I like the way we currently do it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

EastexHawg

Would you buy a ticket to see us play Florida A&M or Coastal Carolina?  I don't know how far away from campus you live, but would you even make the trip to Fayetteville to attend one of those games if admission was free?

Wildhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 09, 2017, 01:56:50 pm
Would you buy a ticket to see us play Florida A&M or Coastal Carolina?  I don't know how far away from campus you live, but would you even make the trip to Fayetteville to attend one of those games if admission was free?

Sure, I'd probably go to one of those.  I usually do go to at least one cupcake game per year. But my #1 priority is winning, and we have a hard enough time doing that, even with the cupcakes.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on February 09, 2017, 02:39:57 pm
Sure, I'd probably go to one of those.  I usually do go to at least one cupcake game per year. But my #1 priority is winning, and we have a hard enough time doing that, even with the cupcakes.
there is no reason we cant win against mid tier OOC opponents.

they do a better job of getting the team up to speed for SEC play.

play 3 FCS teams then jump into conference play and they will be in for a rude awakening in regards to play speed.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 09, 2017, 02:44:58 pm
there is no reason we cant win against mid tier OOC opponents.

Well, we CAN.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ThisTeetsTaken

This may sound crazy but I'm looking forward to the Coastal Carolina game.  Might be because of baseball but they are an interesting school.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

ChicoHog

Quote from: Wildhog on February 09, 2017, 12:52:29 pm
I'd rather not be competing for viewers against those games.  I like the way we currently do it.
It actually worked well for us last year because there weren't very many marquee games week two and we got a prime time slot on ESPN.  Then a great game and we were the talk of the town for the next week.  If we played that game the first week we would have got lost in the shuffle with all the other big games. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 09, 2017, 09:37:00 am
F the fans.  8 regular season SEC games with most within a 10 week or so window and only 85 scholarship players.  Football is too brutal of a sport physically plus the mental part that has to go into as well to keep adding difficulty and games onto it.  Let the fans take a week off if they don't want to watch.  Relax and enjoy watching a win on tv.  Check out other games.  Go hunting if a late season rent a win is on the schedule.  No issue with Bama scheduling someone like UTC in November when they start the month usually with LSU and finish with Auburn.  Emotional and physical games. 

Enough fans will attend the rent a wins because football is an event.  Not just a game. 

Hopefully we won't waste the player development opportunity and the chance to give our key players a little break. 
You are one of my favorite posters on Hogville and I agree with most of your opinions but not this one.  I am a huge college football fan and I don't care for the Power 5 teams playing FCS schools and playing them especially late in the season.  Neither the Pac 12, Big 12 or Big 10 do it and I don't want to hear the excuses that the SEC and ACC are tougher so they need to do it.  So what?  We know the SEC West is the best division in college football right now.  I just like all the Power 5 teams to play on a more even field regarding OOC schedules, number of Conf games and time of year of those games.  Probably never happen but I can hope. 

Wildhog

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 09, 2017, 07:38:11 pm
It actually worked well for us last year because there weren't very many marquee games week two and we got a prime time slot on ESPN.  Then a great game and we were the talk of the town for the next week.  If we played that game the first week we would have got lost in the shuffle with all the other big games. 

Exactly my point.
1909/1964/1965/1977

popcornhog

That wouldn't turn out very well. Remember Auburn 2004?
WPS

onebadrubi

Quote from: popcornhog on February 12, 2017, 10:31:38 pm

That isn't happening again though.

onebadrubi

You guys must consider things like breaking in a new QB, new coach, etc for first game of the year.  Whether you like it or not, it appears we will be replacing at least one coach every offseason.  It takes them a game to two to gel with the staff.  Same goes for new players, like Austin, froholdt, and many others getting their first starts. I like a cup cake first game honestly. Breaks the tension, Arkansas fans are going to be there in nice numbers regardless.

I'll retract the cupcake comment, let's say middle of the road, like a la tech.  One we should beat but one that is and should be a respectable bowl team

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Next1_04 on February 09, 2017, 10:24:00 am
Well aren't you just an assumption maker. I didn't write anything in the body of the post. Just copied and pasted direct from ESPN. I believe you were the first one in the thread to say the word "negative" so shame on you, sir. So you turned it into a negative. Tisk Tisk.

You were the first one in the thread to say tisk tisk so now everyone knows you are a colossal [CENSORED].

cosmodrum

Quote from: popcornhog on February 12, 2017, 10:31:38 pm

Wake me up when we're in the NC conversation.
Go away, batin'

hoghiker

I doubt you'd get many Bama fans saying it sucks. I know a few of them and they seem pretty happy with current setup. I'd call that a no brainier perspective.