Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unpopular Question

Started by SemperHawg, February 08, 2017, 09:12:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 08, 2017, 10:50:20 am
I appreciate it.

You're the one wanting a "birth" in the championship game, I really think that should stay off camera.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 08, 2017, 11:30:24 am
Missouri this past season?  It's fair to say everyone everywhere outside of Mizzou's locker room thought we should have won that game.

To expand on that note, if there aren't any games in the SEC we're 'supposed to win', then what are we doing?  The definition of being favored in a game is that you're 'supposed to win' the game. 

Arkansas as a state has a program competing in a top-tier athletic conference, with no competing professional franchises in-state to dilute the fan-base. 
I see many on here try over and over to temper other's expectations regarding the Razorbacks, and I'm always fascinated by the psychology behind that... what their life experiences must have been... whether they've ever won or ever even competed for anything in their lives.  For some reason it reminds me of the Low-T commercials.
I think it's great for fans to have high expectations. They may not be realistic, but they are important for the program to strive to get better.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2017, 11:37:49 am
You're the one wanting a "birth" in the championship game, I really think that should stay off camera.

Don't ascribe that grammar mistake to me. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 08, 2017, 11:01:42 am
I remember when we were supposed to beat the Mississippi schools.  They were atrocious.  How were they able to improve so much but not us?  Serious question.  Maybe that's something we need to look at.

Cycles, up, then down. It happens most everywhere, except Saban era Bama.

DeltaBoy

We need some Frank Beamer stability.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

factchecker

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 08, 2017, 11:49:49 am
Wow. 

I have no idea how that might tie into the mentality of trying to temper other's expectations, but ok.

How can anyone demand excellence when they don't do it with themselves or their family.  Compare our Arkansans "commitment to excellence" in regards to high school athletics to the residents of Texas.

Look at how our fanbase holds onto old relics like WMS while being pissed off about stadium expansions and facility improvements.  If you want to hold yourself to a higher standard then you have to put forth the effort.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

goodguytex

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 08, 2017, 10:51:40 am
How many USC fans do you think regret the time period with Reggie Bush (and the numerous other players who received similar benefits)?
None.

How many Auburn fans do you think regret Cam Newton?
LOL none. 

How many Ohio State fans do you think regret Jim Tressel?

We could go on and on and on...

But see here's the thing - no one on here is really EXPECTING Arkansas to be in the National Championship game.  If it were to somehow happen then GREAT... but what the majority of Arkansas fans would really appreciate is once more just being RELEVANT and winning games we're supposed to win.   
Let's start there before we begin talking Playoffs... then we can raise hopes and expectations.
but by bringing up players who were actually bought to play for their universities, are you Ctually advocating Arkansas cheat to achieve success? I don't think that's a road our program should go down.

We aren't a cornerstone SEC program. We aren't going to just get a little slap on the wrist and then business as usual.

Bottom line... We have fertile recruiting grounds around our state in Texas and Louisiana. We need to dig in all we can in those 2 states.

The talent in the high school football ranks in Arkansas has not been good enough, overall, to supply Arkansas with enough talent to compete in the SEC.

That was one thing Bobby Petrino really lucked into when he became Arkansas HC.

Ryan Mallett wanted to be a Hog. Tyler Wilson wanted to be a Hog. Mallett was a 5 star, Wilson a high 4 star. We had the great group of receivers from HAS programs throughout the state. We got Dennis Johnson, and other talent from the state As well that made our offense explosive and just enough talent on defense from players like Bequette and others that made Arkansas competitive.

Now our HS talent just isn't there in numbers. Sure... We produce some talent, but it's just not enough to hold up in the numbers we need.

Plus we have been the victims of some very unfortunate circumstances over the last few years. Bottom line... Bielema and Anderson... Mike Anderson that is... Will eventually lose their jobs if they don't produce enough positive results, as it should be. Just takes time to see what happens.

wildturkey8

Quote from: factchecker on February 08, 2017, 10:36:31 amIf you tired of mediocre results then start fixing the mediocre problems at home.
This, a 1000 times over.

jkstock04

Quote from: SemperHawg on February 08, 2017, 10:36:53 am
Unless you want to go down the Baylor/Ole Miss/Louisville type road and be ready to accept the consequences at some point. 

So lets ask another question... How many of you would sign up right now for a birth in next years' playoff and and SEC championship in trade for 4 years NCAA sanctions?
Count me in 100%. Minus Baylor of course. That stuff is beyond bad compared to what Ole Miss attempted.

On a national scale nobody gives two s**ts about Regie Bush or Cam newtons indiscretions. Especially years after the fact. Those teams won national titles, end of story.

What's always amazing to me is what draws the most vitriol...lower to middle tier programs trying it and catching absolute hell. But when the blue chip programs like Bama and Ohio st. continue to take part in everyone looks the other way. Even cheer them on.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Bubba's Bruisers

Given the circumstances, I think BB was a homerun hire.  I think the jury is still out on him at UA, but at the time, he made complete sense.  I'm very cautiously optimistic on him.  Very cautious.

As for MA, never liked the hire.  Now I hate it.  It reeked of us mailing it in.  Seemingly picking a guy, because he was formally "one of us".  As if he could restore the Nolan days.  Nevermind the fact that's he no where near Nolan, and it seems that style don't play anymore.  I know that's a very simple way to look at it, but I think that was much of the mentality of the fan base and maaaybe JL listened.  Just bring home the prodigal son and all will be well.  Again, I'm talking out of my arse.  Probably out of frustration.  MA needs to be gone yesterday.   
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

code red

I don't know what the answer is.  But.  I would venture to say there is not very many Hog fans very happy with the state of either of the programs today.  What is the solution?  Is it going to a 3 front???  Is is waiting on a recruiting class?  Problem is...it doesn't seem that anyone on the hill knows the answer either. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Wildhog

Quote from: goodguytex on February 08, 2017, 11:58:22 am
but by bringing up players who were actually bought to play for their universities, are you Ctually advocating Arkansas cheat to achieve success? I don't think that's a road our program should go down.

We aren't a cornerstone SEC program. We aren't going to just get a little slap on the wrist and then business as usual.

Bottom line... We have fertile recruiting grounds around our state in Texas and Louisiana. We need to dig in all we can in those 2 states.

The talent in the high school football ranks in Arkansas has not been good enough, overall, to supply Arkansas with enough talent to compete in the SEC.

That was one thing Bobby Petrino really lucked into when he became Arkansas HC.

Ryan Mallett wanted to be a Hog. Tyler Wilson wanted to be a Hog. Mallett was a 5 star, Wilson a high 4 star. We had the great group of receivers from HAS programs throughout the state. We got Dennis Johnson, and other talent from the state As well that made our offense explosive and just enough talent on defense from players like Bequette and others that made Arkansas competitive.

Now our HS talent just isn't there in numbers. Sure... We produce some talent, but it's just not enough to hold up in the numbers we need.

Plus we have been the victims of some very unfortunate circumstances over the last few years. Bottom line... Bielema and Anderson... Mike Anderson that is... Will eventually lose their jobs if they don't produce enough positive results, as it should be. Just takes time to see what happens.

I really think people make too big a deal of that 2008 Arkansas class. 

Other than Tyler, Joe, Jarius, and Gragg, who else was a MAJOR contributor?  Dennis was good, but was almost always in the doghouse.  Childs was great, but injured for most of his career. 

Zach Stadther? 
DeAnthony Curtis?
Brian Christopher?
Lavunce Askew?
Jim Youngblood?
Austin Eoff?
Matt Hall?

Four guys.  How is that so much better than the 2013 Arkansas class, which had Austin Allen, Drew Morgan, Brooks Ellis, and Hunter Henry?

I think it's just a way for some people to try to discredit what Petrino did here.

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

EastexHawg

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 08, 2017, 09:53:14 am
When Bielema was hired here he was a 68-24, 3x Big Ten Champion, 3x top ten head coach. As far as resumes go he was an A+ hire. I don't think his relative lack of success here hasn't anything to do with Long.

He was a poor fit for Arkansas in the SEC when he was hired.  Mike Anderson was a nostalgia hire and the only way he was going to bring back the success of the 90s was going to be if he put Lee Mayberry, Todd Day, Big O, Corliss, Scotty, and Corey Beck into a time machine and brought them back with him.

That said, the real complaint with the AD is holding onto coaches once it becomes apparent they are in over their heads.  Throwing more and more money at new assistants, or waiting a few more years to see if they can finally get up to speed and prove he was right when he hired them, is not the answer.

If Arkansas is going to make the move toward becoming anything other than an also-ran on the field/court, the first thing that needs to happen is getting an AD who knows who and what it will take for Razorback football and basketball to succeed.  "Everyone knew his name and the fans thought it was a good idea" isn't cutting it.

code red

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 08, 2017, 12:20:49 pm
He was a poor fit for Arkansas in the SEC when he was hired.  Mike Anderson was a nostalgia hire and the only way he was going to bring back the success of the 90s was going to be if he put Lee Mayberry, Todd Day, Big O, Corliss, Scotty, and Corey Beck into a time machine and brought them back with him.

That said, the real complaint with the AD is holding onto coaches once it becomes apparent they are in over their heads.  Throwing more and more money at new assistants, or waiting a few more years to see if they can finally get up to speed and prove he was right when he hired them, is not the answer.

If Arkansas is going to make the move toward becoming anything other than an also-ran on the field/court, the first thing that needs to happen is getting an AD who knows who and what it will take for Razorback football and basketball to succeed.  "Everyone knew his name and the fans thought it was a good idea" isn't cutting it.
Both coaches are reluctant to change...thats what both coaches have in common and ultimately it will be their down fall. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

jgphillips3

Bielema failed season one.  He has underachieved since by one or two games a year.  He's not so much a failure as he is just not a success.  He's kind of an underwhelming push so far.  Mike Anderson has underachieved as well but again, has not been a disaster.  That is the real problem.  Neither is doing well enough to praise and they are doing just well enough to make firing them difficult.  It's a nightmare scenario for an AD.  If they would either crash or soar, it would get a lot easier.  It just takes many more years of mediocrity to get you fired than years of failure.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

What is the REAL problem? We have coaches that have proven in the past that they know how to win. Mike Anderson was able to do it at 2 schools that were barely even respected. I have a hard time believing that both coaches suddenly forgot how to coach and win, so what happened? Is there something going on behind the scenes? Could it also be the reason that Dana Altman quit on day 1? (maybe a stretch, but you never know). Like most in this group, I just want to see our teams be great, no matter who needs to be let go
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

code red

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 08, 2017, 11:00:30 am
I can agree with that IF we can agree on what games we are supposed to win. There aren't any SEC games we are supposed to win.
What?

EastexHawg

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on February 08, 2017, 01:13:44 pm
What is the REAL problem? We have coaches that have proven in the past that they know how to win. Mike Anderson was able to do it at 2 schools that were barely even respected.

Norm Stewart went to two Elite Eights, two Sweet Sixteens, and 16 NCAA tournaments at Missouri.  The coach right before Mike, Quin Snyder, went to four straight NCAA tournaments and one Elite Eight, winning five tournament games in a three year stretch.  The coach after Mike, Frank Haith, went 30-5 and won the Big 12 tournament in his first year after Mike finished 5th in the conference two years in a row.

If you look a little closer at Mike's time at Missouri, he had one great season...his third.  In his other four seasons he put up a combined conference record of 31-33.

As far as UAB basketball goes, Gene Bartow started the program from scratch.  In his third year there he took them to the Sweet Sixteen, followed by an Elite Eight the next year...the fourth year that UAB basketball had been in existence. Overall Bartow took them to nine NCAA tournaments and the Final Four of two NITs.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: SemperHawg on February 08, 2017, 10:08:08 am
I want to be clear, I am not calling for either of them to be fired.  I will also admit that the initial question about Long was a loaded one which brought me to the second question.  If it's not Long then  who/what is it?  We can cover how much of a sleaze ball Petrino was, but one thing you can't question about him was he won games and he did it in almost half the time its taken Coach B. 

I'll move from unpopular question to unpopular opinion here, I am in the school of thought that to win at the level I think we would all like to in the SEC you (as a program) have to operate much deeper in the grey area than Arkansas currently does.  I also believe that from a program direction that is a Jeff Long result.  We have a program that has all the optics with the right look and feel as far as grades and Uncommon players and everything else, but is mediocre to sub par in the win loss column.

I'm not willing to go deeper into the gray area to win games. Some people are. I hope we never hire someone that will.  Sports help teach young people how to live the right way. If we lose 6 games and still receive 40 million from the SEC, I'll be sad we didn't win more. But I won't be sad we didn't get a lot closer to stepping across the wrong line.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: factchecker on February 08, 2017, 09:49:59 am
Explain why the next coach bolted for Oregon State and why the current coach at Wisco can't keep a coordinator.

He can't but he'll be more than happy to explain to you how the Hogs should pay for recruits so that they can win the West outright, you know, just like Ole Miss has done exactly zero times ever.

#1Fan

Quote from: Wildhog on February 08, 2017, 11:01:42 am
I remember when we were supposed to beat the Mississippi schools.  They were atrocious.  How were they able to improve so much but not us?  Serious question.  Maybe that's something we need to look at.

I have no idea how the Mi$$i$$ippi $chools were able to improve $o much.

Al Boarland

Quote from: code red on February 08, 2017, 01:43:49 pm
What?
The program is a tier 3 program in the division. There are no teams that we can't lose to and should mark a W beside before the season starts. As you get to a team on the schedule you can the make a determination.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 08, 2017, 01:07:24 pm
Bielema failed season one.  He has underachieved since by one or two games a year.  He's not so much a failure as he is just not a success.  He's kind of an underwhelming push so far.  Mike Anderson has underachieved as well but again, has not been a disaster.  That is the real problem.  Neither is doing well enough to praise and they are doing just well enough to make firing them difficult.  It's a nightmare scenario for an AD.  If they would either crash or soar, it would get a lot easier.  It just takes many more years of mediocrity to get you fired than years of failure.

Really good post and perspective!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SemperHawg

This is probably the best observation I have seen so far.

DLUXHOG

Go ahead you wise acres... Run Jeff off, Run Bret off, Run Mike off....   After that....... who, just who, in wide wide world of college coaches would dare take a shot at a job here except maybe pappy yokum.................
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 08, 2017, 04:24:24 pm
Go ahead you wise acres... Run Jeff off, Run Bret off, Run Mike off....   After that....... who, just who, in wide wide world of college coaches would dare take a shot at a job here except maybe pappy yokum.................
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

LZH

Quote from: SemperHawg on February 08, 2017, 10:36:53 am
So lets ask another question... How many of you would sign up right now for a birth in next years' playoff and and SEC championship in trade for 4 years NCAA sanctions?

Me.

As to your OP, both were good hires at the time but it is the AD's fault if he lets them hang around too long. I am really going to lose most if not all faith in Long if he doesn't get rid of MA next month.

Razorbackers

I don't want Jeff or Bret gone.

I do want Mike gone if we don't make the tournament.

If/When we fire Mike, I want Archie Miller from Dayton. IF Miller goes to NC State, which is a possibility, I'd take Gottfried...who would be looking for a job in this situation.

HamSammich

Quote from: SemperHawg on February 08, 2017, 09:12:04 am
I am begging to get roasted here but I'll go ahead and ask it.

When the Football team struggles we take a look at the Football coach.

When the Basketball team struggles we take a look at the Basketball coach.

When they are both struggling isn't it time to take a look at the guy who hired them?

Fire away, I'm sure there are many here that can tell me what an idiot I am.  In what other job would the past 5 and 6 years' results collectively be acceptable.  To be clear the results I am talking about are wins and losses in Football and Basketball.  There are programs similar to Arkansas in size and demographic that are seeing better results so we know its possible.

I've been beating this drum here for 5 years. Long is a phoney and a hack.

LZH

Quote from: factchecker on February 08, 2017, 11:57:41 am
How can anyone demand excellence when they don't do it with themselves or their family.  Compare our Arkansans "commitment to excellence" in regards to high school athletics to the residents of Texas.

Look at how our fanbase holds onto old relics like WMS while being pissed off about stadium expansions and facility improvements.  If you want to hold yourself to a higher standard then you have to put forth the effort.

Chiming in on a quick GSD shot here, I don't think you will find anyone that wants to hang on to WMS, just a Razorback game in Little Rock.

Inhogswetrust

Where's Pappy coach at and does he have a good Resume'?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Bubba's Bruisers

The Nutt syndrome.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

HamSammich

So many people pull that "wooooo we are waddle warkanssa who would wanna come here!?!" Bull crap.

Go away losers.

I'd back a brinks truck up in Mack browns driveway, Condoleza Rice, Eric DeCosta, Nick Caserio...... I could go on and on. I'm not afraid of improving and Arkansas is great.

Hell I think David Bazzio would be light years better. I ain't fraid

ricepig

Quote from: HamSammich on February 08, 2017, 05:37:38 pm
So many people pull that "wooooo we are waddle warkanssa who would wanna come here!?!" Bull crap.

Go away losers.

I'd back a brinks truck up in Mack browns driveway, Condoleza Rice, Eric DeCosta, Nick Caserio...... I could go on and on. I'm not afraid of improving and Arkansas is great.

Hell I think David Bazzio would be light years better. I ain't fraid

Nothing's stopping you from doing it, is there?

oldgoat

Hoglady: "Some things in life are only a big deal when you make them a big deal."

jcbville

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 08, 2017, 09:39:30 am
Bret Bielema and Mike Anderson were good hires when they were brought in. If they fail, it won't be because the administration didn't support them.

It's incredibly silly to blame the AD when a team collapses in the second half, or the second half of the season.

Especially when, by your logic, this AD was also responsible for the highest ranked Razorback football team in the modern era.

Also, there are programs similar to size and whatever you said as Arkansas, and programs bigger than us, that have seen WAY worse results. So...idk man.

Maybe yelling at the AD isn't the answer?

This right here brother. And it isnt an unpopular question. Have you been here the last few years? Its been throw the Yankee out since Petrino was let go. It was even a little bit like that before Petrino was let go.

jcbville

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 08, 2017, 11:53:56 am
We need some Frank Beamer stability.

This also. Arkansas needs that kind of stability badly.

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: HamSammich on February 08, 2017, 05:37:38 pm

Damn right!

That money's easy to spend when it ain't yours, isn't it?

Lets bribe everybody! Briefcases full of cash for recruits, precious gems and other untraceable valuables for the refs, and hookers and blow for NCAA officials!
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

kaki

Just to keep things in perspective, during the same time period we were hiring Bret and Mike, the bigger budgeted University of Tennessee was hiring the Coach of the Life Champions and recruiter of the recruits with 5 star hearts, Butch Jones, and Donnie Tyndall who has vanished off the face of the earth.  My attempted point is attracting the premier Coaches who our fans may think are foaming at the mouth to coach our beloved Razorbacks is not a slam dunk.

RME

Bret Bielema and Mike Anderson were good hires when they were brought in. If they fail, it won't be because the administration didn't support them.

It's incredibly silly to blame the AD when a team collapses in the second half, or the second half of the season.

Especially when, by your logic, this AD was also responsible for the highest ranked Razorback football team in the modern era.

Also, there are programs similar to size and whatever you said as Arkansas, and programs bigger than us, that have seen WAY worse results. So...idk man.

Yep x1000.

Funny how when one asks a naysayer who Long should've (realistically) hired over Bielema at that time, you seldom get an answer.

ATU HOG

I'm not a big Jeff Long fan.  I started to question him when I was on campus in 2012.  Not the firing of Petrino, but the aftermath that happened.  Jeff Long was no longer the AD of Arkansas.  He became Mr. Integrity and the leader of all things College Football Playoff.

We plummeted and he sky-rocketed into many accolades.  Congrats to him, but at the end of the day nobody really cares about the Director's Cup and how we are competing with Vanderbilt to be the smartest school in the SEC.  Our APR still ranks in the bottom 3 in football.  We still have off the field (and on the field issues) no matter how much we publicly announce that we are a university of integrity and high character.  Shouldn't be something we brag about, it should be the expectation.

He struggles hiring coaches, bottom line.  Look at every hire he has made.  I posted a few weeks ago about all of his hires in every sport.  We aren't nationally competitive in very many sports.  It's ok though, because we have cool hashtags and we can tweet about it, telling everyone it's all ok.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 08, 2017, 10:30:47 am
Bringing up that episode is always good for at least one poster to jump on the moral soapbox. 

Thanks for playing.

Lol you are so naive you can't see it.  It has nothing to do with morals.  There was legality issues and things that would get every person fired from their job, besides the infidelity!  But you are so agenda driven, nothing better to do than to sit on here and put this place down because your life is so grim, that you refuse to see anything else than that.   

HamSammich

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 08, 2017, 06:42:09 pm
Yep x1000.

Funny how when one asks a naysayer who Long should've (realistically) hired over Bielema at that time, you seldom get an answer.

That's the worst post ever in hogville. Any idiot could google coaches available at that time and make you look silly. Not worth my time

RME

Quote from: HamSammich on February 08, 2017, 06:56:20 pm

That's the worst post ever in hogville. Any idiot could google coaches available at that time and make you look silly. Not worth my time

Coaches who had been to three straight Rose Bowls and a 68-24 overall record? Please make me look silly. I implore you. You're not THAT busy.

EDIT: Here, Mr. Busy Man, I did it for you, so I guess I'm an idiot. Took about 4 seconds through a Google search. The internet is pretty amazing if you're not a complete dumbass.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/coaching_changes_2013.html

You still support, CBoB, right? Just making sure.

HamSammich

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 08, 2017, 06:59:35 pm
Coaches who had been to three straight Rose Bowls and a 68-24 overall record? Please make me look silly. I implore you. You're not THAT busy.

EDIT: Here, Mr. Busy Man, I did it for you, so I guess I'm an idiot. Took about 4 seconds through a Google search. The internet is pretty amazing if you're not a complete dumbass.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/coaching_changes_2013.html

You still support, CBoB, right? Just making sure.

So this explains long signing a subpar coach to a contract extension that puts a shackle in the program???? Yeah that AD is awesome.

RME

Quote from: HamSammich on February 08, 2017, 07:40:26 pm

So this explains long signing a subpar coach to a contract extension that puts a shackle in the program???? Yeah that AD is awesome.

Still waiting for your answer as to who you would have taken at that time?

Or you can continue to prove my initial statement, that works too.

Hoggish1

Long's problem is not his hires.  The guy is less than appealing as a person.

Bielema is on track (his time will come) but Mike is off track...  His time is over.

gchamblee

Nice post

This thread has been a nice read with several different opinions.  What bothers me the most is that Arkansas is paying the most for its AD, its football head coach and its basketball head coach in its history which would be normal but we aren't just paying more, we are paying quite a bit more.  Long is getting 11th best pay in the NCAA, Bret is getting 17th best pay and Mike is getting 25th best pay.  I feel like a Guy who drives a Chevy Aveo that just past 200K and is making monthly payments on a Mercedes SL500. 

My AD just hasn't produced winning combos in coaching and is willing to tell the public that all is well.  No problems.  It just takes time.  While 4 years, in my opinion, is enough time, it also tells you that a particular coach and situation is at that time where you are seeing about all you are ever gong to get on average.

Mike did get us a bit excited one year there but then dropped the ball right back to unacceptable.  That is his history, his legacy.  Bret hasn't even reached that level.  He started off bad and after 4 years hasn't produced any results that indicate he is any better than just below average.  He has shown that as a HC, he can and will lose 2 or more games annually that he should win.  He's done that nearly every year since being here.

Now the above has happened and where is our AD.  We know he hasn't scolded either coach because he preaches that what they offer is just fine and dandy.  The Arkansas programs are doing well as far as he is concerned.  This comes down to one particular thing.  If the Boss is happy with my progress and leadership, why should I care what anyone else thinks.  He pays my check so everyone else can go to hell.  Anyway, until we get an AD who isn't totally OK with the status quo, we got what we got.  We need to roll the dice with some young blood.  Arkansas has a decent record with up and comers and a not so good hiring vets with supposed good records.  If we can ever get someone who can contain his ego but still have one and with fire in his belly who refuses to quit, then he likely will develop into a great coach.  Bob Stopps was one such coach and he was, in many ways better his first 5 years as a HC than any 5 year period since.  Stoops has recently regrouped and in his conference , he will be very successful.  We might not get a Bob Stoops but I at least wouldn't feel so bad making 500SL payments and driving that Aveo.