Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Scott, Jr new DL coach

Started by bighog2255, February 07, 2017, 02:18:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on February 07, 2017, 02:54:46 pm
Odds are he is an upgrade over Segrest.

Not saying much but if you look at the resume it's very Segrest like with a little Kurt Anderson thrown in.

He was not the Jets D-Line coach, he was the assistant D-Line coach (much like Anderson).  Except for 2 years at Texas Tech, that bastion of killer D's, his college experience is all at the FCS level (much like Segrest).

I hope the guy does wonders but this is not a Bielema out of the box hire.  It's exactly like the box he has used to hire his last 2 line coaches. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

RzRbAcK18

It will be much easier to recruit great D lineman to an SECW school than it was to a little 12 school. Just relax, he hasn't even unpacked yet.

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 07, 2017, 03:06:29 pm
I didn't do that?

How was he in 2014?

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 07, 2017, 03:10:22 pm
So, is this a bad hire or a great hire?  I ask because there's literally no in between.

No there IS an in between. Why think there is only extreme hires? That doesn't fit your agenda either does it. As far as his TTU 2014 line they didn't do very well. They did damn nearly as well as the Hogs D that year though. Arkansas averaged 5.1 YPP given up and TTU averaged 5.2. His D that year actually gave up less rushing TD's than ours. There was turmoil in the D that year you might recall (but knowing you it doesn't matter) for TTU that wasn't his fault. Also he was coaching for a coach that doesn't give a damn about Defense. I wonder why you mentioned his one bad year instead of the three years prior to that one and what he's done since.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 07, 2017, 03:23:27 pm
I did too and saw he was Defensive Quality Control coach for the Jets for three years.  What do you know about being DQC?  And how much QC did he do for someone whose coach was fired, went to Buffalo and was fired again? 

He may be a hell of a coach and he's young but I'm not too excited by reading that like you are...

Didn't read about his coaching AFTER getting that OR his coaching before TTU did you. Look I didn't say it was a great hire based on his Resume' but it is not as bad as some like 1964 would say.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 07, 2017, 03:32:01 pm
Not saying much but if you look at the resume it's very Segrest like with a little Kurt Anderson thrown in.

He was not the Jets D-Line coach, he was the assistant D-Line coach (much like Anderson).  Except for 2 years at Texas Tech, that bastion of killer D's, his college experience is all at the FCS level (much like Segrest).

I hope the guy does wonders but this is not a Bielema out of the box hire.  It's exactly like the box he has used to hire his last 2 line coaches. 

Montgomery turned us down on Sunday, and this was his second choice. Montgomery was a assistant d-line coach for the Packers, but had a much better college resume and was a recruiter. Now, we don't know why he didn't come, not enough money, wanted to be in the NFL, didn't like Bret, or hates Arkansas, haha.

Bielema fired Segrest and hired this guy, so he'll have two years to either get better, or be looking himself for a job.

The_Iceman

Quote from: WriterWrong on February 07, 2017, 03:29:11 pm
We also gave up 35 sacks on the season, second most in SEC. The previous three seasons combined, we allowed 36 sacks.

Just saying.

They were not perfect. Losing Kirkland, Tretola, and Smothers hurt us. Also having to have Skipper at LT instead of RT was bad as well. All problems Kurt inherited, but made the most of, in my opinion.

I like the 3 linemen he added in this year's class. "Meat and Potatoes" type kids.

ricepig

We also gave up 35 sacks on the season, second most in SEC. The previous three seasons combined, we allowed 36 sacks.

Just saying.

1/3 of those came on missed assignments by the RB/TE, too. AA also held on to the football a lot longer than BA. No doubt, it was a work in progress, hopefully much improved this year.

Kevin

on paper it looks like a underwhelming hire.

I hope he gets the job done.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2017, 03:37:47 pm
Montgomery turned us down on Sunday, and this was his second choice. Montgomery was a assistant d-line coach for the Packers, but had a much better college resume and was a recruiter. Now, we don't know why he didn't come, not enough money, wanted to be in the NFL, didn't like Bret, or hates Arkansas, haha.

Bielema fired Segrest and hired this guy, so he'll have two years to either get better, or be looking himself for a job.

Like I said hope he turns out great, but I've seen the story twice now.  Mainly want to put the "out of the box, diamond in the rough, guy no one has heard of or expected" narrative to rest.  MSU needed a safeties coach and hired Ron English.  A&M needed a DB's coach and hired Ron Cooper.  TN Needed a D-Line coach and hired Brady Hoke.  If your bread and butter is line play I would think you would invest more in the coaching talent in those respective areas.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 07, 2017, 03:49:04 pm
Like I said hope he turns out great, but I've seen the story twice now.  Mainly want to put the "out of the box, diamond in the rough, guy no one has heard of or expected" narrative to rest.  MSU needed a safeties coach and hired Ron English.  A&M needed a DB's coach and hired Ron Cooper.  TN Needed a D-Line coach and hired Brady Hoke.  If your bread and butter is line play I would think you would invest more in the coaching talent in those respective areas.

I'm not pumping him up at all, just stating how I thought it played out.

Rocket23

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 07, 2017, 02:37:29 pm
Kurt Anderson did a solid job turning 3 new starters... one being a former DL, one being a walkon, and one never having any previous playing time....into a decent Oline group by the end of the season.

I'm not sure why so many fans hate on him. Look at what he had to work with and the final result and improvement.

Because they don't have Robb or Segrest to hate on.  Give the guy a chance.

King Kong

The only positive I can say is he has a lot of 3-4 experience.

ZERO

Quote from: AugustaHog on February 07, 2017, 02:43:41 pm
Geez we tuned this dude up for 450+ yds in 2014.  Not getting warm fuzzies about this.
This is the most damning thing about him in my opinion - the horrible defense from top to bottom at TT. But let's remember that their offense is hardly conducive to keeping a good defense. One of the biggest and oldest critiques of those uptempo offenses is that they leave a defense out to dry. That's why their entire defense was junk instead of just the line.

I think we can safely downplay his tenure at Tech just a tad.  That's an unwinnable situation for any defensive coach (not to mention TT is just hard to win and look good at in general) I don't keep up with the NFL, and I'm kind of afraid to look up the stats while he was there, haha.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

grayhawg

It's sucks when we refuse to open the checkbook for a proven coach. Sometimes I think Jeff "tightwad" Long likes for us to lose.

Kevin

so what pro defensive control coach does he hire as linebacker coach?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

King Kong

Quote from: Kevin on February 07, 2017, 03:59:51 pm
so what pro defensive control coach does he hire as linebacker coach?

Chad Walker

jackflash

going to give him a fair chance before I judge him

Wildhog

Bielema will be gone in a year or two, so I guess it really doesn't matter.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

zane

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 07, 2017, 03:32:01 pm

Assistant D-Line coach or Assistant TO the D-Line coach
RIP LSUfan

Sooie71923

Thank God it's not Partridge again.

Hopefully fans will give him more time than Kurt Anderson.

navyhog24

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2017, 04:04:36 pm

Keep making these kinds of hires and probably sooner than later

Hogfan46

Oklahawg

I seem to recall some head scratching around here when Dan Enos and Paul Rhoads were hired. A few even suggested, "HC in waiting."

Three pages and no one has looked up his FCS productivity. Three pages and no one has looked up the circumstances at Texas Tech before/during/after his stay there. Three pages and no one has asked about Paul Rhoads role in hiring him, and how that fits the move to a 3-4. Three pages and no one has bothered to search for a tweet, quote, or post about players discussing his strengths/weaknesses as a coach.

What we do get is one post after another proclaiming something pulled out of one's ass.

So, to be clear:

I am pleased because I assume Paul Rhoads got to be in the mix of things to hire a guy to teach the 3-4 the way Rhoads wants it taught. Check.

I am pleased because I see a young, black coach (aren't we always reading complaints about that? not one comment about that, specifically, in three pages) who might be able to connect well with players. Check.

I am pleased because I see a coach with background in the region (South, Southeast, Texas). Check.

I am pleased because NFL guys are technicians and that is how you build up your non-5-star guys. Check.

There is an assumption that being #2 to Jerry Montgomery means that he is closer to last than to first. I doubt that is true, but who really knows?

Love the number of seasoned coaches who have chimed in on his relative skills as a coach. Y'all head on.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

grayhawg

Was the D line coach for Texas Tech in 2014 when we rushed for nearly 500 yards.

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Life on February 07, 2017, 04:11:32 pm
$340,000 per year.

Made $175,000 at Texas Tech sounds like we got a bargain

Sarcasm

King Kong

Quote from: grayhawg on February 07, 2017, 04:13:23 pm
Was the D line coach for Texas Tech in 2014 when we rushed for nearly 500 yards.

Yeah it's been mentioned several times in this thread already. But yes it is worth mentioning again

menace_hawg3

Typical Razorback fans: Highly opinionated, meagerly informed.

elksnort

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 07, 2017, 03:49:04 pm
You certainly have a point. Let's just hope he will make himself a name.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: TechHawg on February 07, 2017, 02:37:22 pm
Didn't get a proven recruiter or a proven coach. O for 2.

Based on what expert knowledge?  Your opinion and expectations for a hire?  You know crap about his coaching ability and his recruiting ability.  Meaning, you are talking out your anus.  You might end up being correct in the long run, but it won't be because you knew anything.  Even the biggest dumba** will say something correct every now and then, but they are still a dumba**.  Here is a novel idea; wait and see how he does coaching and recruiting before making up your mind and spouting off feces like it is a fact.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 07, 2017, 04:12:57 pm
I am pleased because I see a young, black coach (aren't we always reading complaints about that? not one comment about that, specifically, in three pages) who might be able to connect well with players. Check.

Typed it.  Deleted it.  Didn't want to deal with any idiots. 

Yes, for recruiting it is good to have a diverse staff. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawgfan4life

Quote from: grayhawg on February 07, 2017, 04:13:23 pm

We ran for a lot of yards on a lot of teams.  Doesn't mean their coaches were bad coaches.  We struggle running on teams occasionally and it doesn't mean their coaches are great coaches.  If you are going to base the ability of a coach based on that single game, BB is an awesome coach.  Pittman was an awesome OL coach. Our former DC was an awesome DC because he held TT to a meager performance total that game.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2017, 04:04:36 pm

Two at a minimum, he's here for two more years.

WriterWrong

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2017, 03:46:16 pm
1/3 of those came on missed assignments by the RB/TE, too. AA also held on to the football a lot longer than BA. No doubt, it was a work in progress, hopefully much improved this year.

I by no means think that all offensive line issues were Anderson's fault. However, it was a rough start to his tenure here. Hopefully we are much improved on the offensive line this upcoming season. Going from 36 sacks over 3 season to 35 in a single season is a red flag. Whether that's shared among the players and coaches or not, our o-line took a pretty big step back in my mind.

New talent and more experience will hopefully solve many of our issues.

Pork Twain

I hope he is Anderson 2.0, because that guy did nothing but develop a solid OL during his first year
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Big Daddy

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2017, 03:37:47 pm

Brett can't afford two more years like the last.

younghog

Quote from: hogwild6700 on February 07, 2017, 02:28:59 pm
Based on his resume-he's a perfect fit here.

Jets site states..

--
Scott originally joined Bowles' staff when he was hired by the team last year. His first year with the Jets was also his first as a coach in the NFL. Prior to joining New York, he coached 12 years in college (primarily the linebacker position) for Texas, Louisville and Lafayette, among others.
--

VERY SOLID HIRE.. Good also to get a young African American coach on the staff

I expect great things out of this one..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

Razorpigg

Here's to hoping Bielema knows more about this cat than we do...

WriterWrong

Quote from: Razorpigg on February 07, 2017, 04:42:57 pm

I feel pretty confident he does. I'm sure he did more than google him, which is all we've done.

King Kong

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on February 07, 2017, 04:18:44 pm
Typical Razorback fans: Highly opinionated, meagerly informed.

Please inform me

a0ashle

Quote from: Razorpigg on February 07, 2017, 04:42:57 pm

He 100% knows more about him then we do, he didn't offer the guy after a quick google search. That's not enough to settle some people down, because they think they know enough to judge.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 07, 2017, 04:31:41 pm
I hope he is Anderson 2.0, because that guy did nothing but develop a solid OL during his first year

With not a lot to work with. And also brought in 3 solid recruits as well.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 07, 2017, 02:47:37 pm
Here's to everyone claiming it's a great hire and not knowing anything about him!!!!

And here is to everyone claiming it's a poor hire and not knowing anything about him!'m

Cheers!
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Jek Tono Porkins

"I wanted a recruiter!!!"
To anyone who said that, off the top of your head, without googling, name 5 defensive line coaches that are known for their recruiting. Name 5 defensive line coaches off the top of your head period. Former hog coaches don't count. Go.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 07, 2017, 04:12:57 pm
I seem to recall some head scratching around here when Dan Enos and Paul Rhoads were hired. A few even suggested, "HC in waiting."

Three pages and no one has looked up his FCS productivity. Three pages and no one has looked up the circumstances at Texas Tech before/during/after his stay there. Three pages and no one has asked about Paul Rhoads role in hiring him, and how that fits the move to a 3-4. Three pages and no one has bothered to search for a tweet, quote, or post about players discussing his strengths/weaknesses as a coach.

What we do get is one post after another proclaiming something pulled out of one's ass.

So, to be clear:

I am pleased because I assume Paul Rhoads got to be in the mix of things to hire a guy to teach the 3-4 the way Rhoads wants it taught. Check.

I am pleased because I see a coach with background in the region (South, Southeast, Texas). Check.

I am pleased because NFL guys are technicians and that is how you build up your non-5-star guys. Check.

There is an assumption that being #2 to Jerry Montgomery means that he is closer to last than to first. I doubt that is true, but who really knows?

Love the number of seasoned coaches who have chimed in on his relative skills as a coach. Y'all head on.

You can't compare this to the hiring of Rhoads or Enos.  First of all, they were accomplished as both coordinators as well as head coaches.  Scott is neither.  What we do know is that the Dline he coached at Texas Tech wasn't that darn good. Also, when hiring a position coach, recruiting ability is magnified.  The position coach is, more often than not, the most important person on staff when it comes to gaining a commitment.  Now, Scott may end up being a dynamite recruiter but, unlike Partridge for instance, is not a known commodity on the recruiting trail.  That is concerning.  None of this is being pulled out of my ass by the way...

Razorbackers

Just saying.

Right, so we already had the leading rusher and passer, and have a lot lot lot of room for improvement.

Let's see what happens before we label KA a failure, is my point.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 07, 2017, 04:56:47 pm
"I wanted a recruiter!!!"
To anyone who said that, off the top of your head, without googling, name 5 defensive line coaches that are known for their recruiting.
Name 5 defensive line coaches off the top of your head period. Former hog coaches don't count. Go.

I can give you one who isn't....

RazorPiggie

Quote from: younghog on February 07, 2017, 04:41:21 pm
Jets site states..

--
Scott originally joined Bowles' staff when he was hired by the team last year. His first year with the Jets was also his first as a coach in the NFL. Prior to joining New York, he coached 12 years in college (primarily the linebacker position)coached LBs once in his 12 years for Texas Tech, Louisville Not seeing this anywhere and Lafayette as a grad assistant, among others.
--

VERY SOLID HIRE.. Good also to get a young African American coach on the staff

I expect great things out of this one..

GO HOGS