Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cowboys sign Roy Williams through 2010

Started by GrizzledHogFan, August 02, 2006, 03:52:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzledHogFan

Associated Press

OXNARD, Calif. (AP) - The Dallas Cowboys signed Pro Bowl safety Roy Williams to a four-year contract extension Wednesday, securing the hard-hitting run-stopper through the 2010 season.

Financial terms weren't immediately made available, but FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer has learned that the deal includes $24 million in new money and in excess of $11 million in bonus money. Glazer also reported that the part of the deal that was important to Williams was that it was a four-year extension, as opposed to longer, which will likely make him eligible for another big payday before his career ends.

"I am going to be a Cowboy for life," said Williams, Dallas' first-round pick in 2002. "I'm staying here."

Williams, who turns 26 this month, had 81 tackles, three interceptions, 2 1/2 sacks and a touchdown last season.

He had a year left on his contract and would have become an unrestricted free agent after this season, but the new five-year deal replaces the 2006 year and adds four more.

Williams is the second player to sign a major extension in the past week or so. Tight end Jason Witten agreed to a seven-year, $29 million contract on July 22. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said more contract extensions are in the works.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5840730?FSO2&ATT=MA
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.