Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12 Years Ago Today (4 Sep 1995)

Started by hydrophonic, September 04, 2007, 02:31:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hydrophonic

WCW debuted a little program called "Monday Nitro."
"The future sucks." "Change it."

russell33

in the mall of america if im not mistaken. i remember lex luger showing up. most, including myself, though he was still with wwf

hellrazor

I remember Jushin Thunder Liger v. Flyin Brian Pillman   and   Hulk Hogan v. Big Bubba Rogers.
I always like Big Bubba cause of the music he used in the UWF.  If I remember correctly, and I definately could be wrong, he had like a private detective gimmick. Thus, the suspendors and slacks, true?
raze<br />1 a archaic : ERASE b : to scrape, cut, or shave off<br />2 : to destroy to the ground : DEMOLISH

RedSatinHog

Quote from: hellrazor on September 04, 2007, 04:38:59 pm
I remember Jushin Thunder Liger v. Flyin Brian Pillman   and   Hulk Hogan v. Big Bubba Rogers.
I always like Big Bubba cause of the music he used in the UWF.  If I remember correctly, and I definately could be wrong, he had like a private detective gimmick. Thus, the suspendors and slacks, true?

BBR was first a protege' of Jim Cornette. 
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

jbcarol

I remember when Cornette was the guy who helped set up and take down the ring.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Bomis Hawg

Wasn't Lugar's debut during a Sting/Flair match.  The same two that ended Nitro?
Fitting ending.  I think Jaws came on prior to Nitro.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on September 06, 2007, 09:13:14 pm
Wasn't Lugar's debut during a Sting/Flair match.  The same two that ended Nitro?
Fitting ending.  I think Jaws came on prior to Nitro.

Luger unceremoniously dumped the WWF to return to WCW during that first show.  Surprised everyone when it happened, including the folks in the WWF who were embarrassed by it.

I cannot remember who was wrestling at the time, but you may very well be right about it being Sting and Flair.  I would've guessed the Steiners in a tag match, but I honestly cannot remember.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: jbcarol on September 06, 2007, 08:41:00 pm
I remember when Cornette was the guy who helped set up and take down the ring.

I believe that Jim Cornette is the best manager of all time.  He really knew how to work a crowd to the point of total vehement hatred, and the only manager I can think of who could rival him for stirring the fans' pot is Skandor Akbar.

Bomis Hawg

I watched the Monday Night War DVD numerous times.  I remember the part about Lugar signing with WCW and basically coming on WCW TV basically the day his WWF contract expiered.

September 4, 1995: Brian Pillman def Jushin Liger, Ric Flair def United States Champion, Sting by Disqualification, World Heavyweight Champion, Hulk Hogan, def Big Bubba Rogers.

That was what I found for the first Nitro.  With it being a DQ, going to assume it was likely the Sting/Flair match.

RedSatinHog

It wasn't Luger's "debut" on WCW when you think about it.  Just his return.

His first real break in big time wrestling was as a member of the Four Horsemen with Tully, Ric and Arn after his stint in Florida Championship Wrestling.  In fact, they unceremoniously dumped Ole Anderson to make a place for Luger in the Horsmen.

Bomis Hawg

Very true.  His Nitro Debut? ;D  Plus, he got Austin's spot with Harley Race also.
Read Flair's book or watch the Flair/Horseman DVD's. 
Not a lot of good things from Ric about Lugar.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on September 06, 2007, 10:13:23 pm
Very true.  His Nitro Debut? ;D  Plus, he got Austin's spot with Harley Race also.
Read Flair's book or watch the Flair/Horseman DVD's. 
Not a lot of good things from Ric about Lugar.

I was pretty much able to figure out what Luger was all about in his personal life after what happened to Elizabeth.  Lets face it.  She died in some pretty suspicious circumstances.

The fact that Flair candidly speaks bad about Luger says alot in and of itself.  As much as he and Dusty Rhodes used to engage in bloodbaths, he recognizes DR as "an exceptional world's champion".  Those two guys are about as different as the day is long.  He also has a lot of good things to say about Sting.