Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beachfront in Destin

Started by hogwild6700, May 07, 2015, 11:31:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwild6700

True story. Never been. Seems to be the beach that every Arkansan goes to .I'm trying to plan a trip this summer. Is there any beachfront homes/condos to rent that anybody has personal experience with-and would recommend?

Every year I plan a trip and reach out to my fellow Hog fans. I've never been steered wrong by the info I've received on this board. Thanks!

Michael
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

Hogfly

Few things:

Are you wanting to do Destin or 30A? What this really equates to is: are you more into Branson type attractions with water parks and go carts nearby and a main strip with lots of stuff happening or do you want something quieter and more off the beaten path?

Do you need a pool (huge price and availability difference)?

Do you want a large high rise type complex or a house (high rise much easier to get into this late in the booking season)?

Do you definitely want beach front or do you mind having to walk a little way (significant price difference)?

Rendezvous Cook

I would love to help you.  Email me brad@executivegolfpackages.com

Here's a start!  http://executivegolfpackages.com/wyndham-vacation-rentals-northwest-florida/

Use the EGOLF code whether you're golfing or not.

hogwild6700

Having a pool isn't as big of a deal as having beachfront.
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

Jackrabbit Hog

Not sure what your budget is, but I've stayed at the Henderson Park Inn, a B&B that's right on the beach.  Very nice and fewer folks there, but a little pricey. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

john c

Tripod1

Let me suggest Navarre Beach if you want to get away from the crowds.  Very laid back and close to both Pensacola and Destin.  Very good beach for a couple looking to just relax or a family with small kids. 

Hogfly

Quote from: hogwild6700 on May 07, 2015, 11:31:24 pm
True story. Never been. Seems to be the beach that every Arkansan goes to .I'm trying to plan a trip this summer. Is there any beachfront homes/condos to rent that anybody has personal experience with-and would recommend?

Every year I plan a trip and reach out to my fellow Hog fans. I've never been steered wrong by the info I've received on this board. Thanks!

Michael

Still not sure if you're set on Destin or open to somewhere else. I recommend checking out vrbo.com. You can put in the number of rooms you need, whether it's beach front or not, etc.. One thing I ALWAYS do, though, is to get the address and put it into google earth and look at it there. A lot of people's definition of "beach front" is a little generous.

Navarre Beach is a good recommendation to avoid crowds as is Perdido Key. I, personally, prefer the 30A area due to the restaurant scene and general culture/atmosphere of that area vs. Destin. I really prefer somewhere a little further down than any of those, but I don't really want to promote it, as there are few "undiscovered" places left.

john c

panhandlepig

I agree with the suggestions concerning Navarre, Sandestin and Perdido Key. I would add Okaloosa Island as well. Quieter and wider beaches , less traffic and just 6 miles to the Destin Harbor and other attractions.  Destin beaches and roads are too congested in the Summer for my tastes.  I'd go further and suggest don't come at all in the summertime unless you have kids and that's your only choice.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: panhandlepig on May 12, 2015, 03:30:52 pm
  I agree with the suggestions concerning Navarre, Sandestin and Perdido Key. I would add Okaloosa Island as well. Quieter and wider beaches , less traffic and just 6 miles to the Destin Harbor and other attractions.  Destin beaches and roads are too congested in the Summer for my tastes.  I'd go further and suggest don't come at all in the summertime unless you have kids and that's your only choice.

Wherever you stay down there, make sure you get an ocean view.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

panhandlepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 13, 2015, 04:54:30 pm

In that case, I would recommend Daytona Beach. I haven't been there since the early 80's.  I'm not sure about now, but then you could drive your car on the beach and park it right up by the water and turn your radio on.  No toting a cooler and chairs...just drive. It was awesome. I just googled it and you still can..costs you 10 bucks but that's a bargain in my opinion.

bplease

As already mentioned in the thread->> VRBO & 30A.
Santa Rosa/Dune Allen is our preference.
Quote from: Feralhog on April 09, 2012, 07:30:33 pm
Didn't respond to the poll.  If a football coach is responsible for teaching my son morality, I'm not much of a Father.

Boarcephus

Renting a 1BR, 1 bath on the 15th floor at beachside II.  One helluva view
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Rev. Jerry Falwell

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 13, 2015, 04:54:30 pm

Ocean view my arse, J'Rabb'!!!  Any water down there is an ocean view....even Destin Harbor is an ocean view.  SOME people claim it to be the Gulf of Mexico, but any true saltwater aficionado knows that if water has salt in it, and ain't fenced off from the rest of the ocean, its an ocean......therefore I propose we change the name to the Ocean of Mexico....

You're welcome.

Rev
Goats are handy...milk, cheese, mower, fertilizer, sex toy, BBQ.  They're like the swiss army knife of animals.......you can quote me on this....

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Rev. Jerry Falwell on May 15, 2015, 05:45:13 am
Ocean view my arse, J'Rabb'!!!  Any water down there is an ocean view....even Destin Harbor is an ocean view.  SOME people claim it to be the Gulf of Mexico, but any true saltwater aficionado knows that if water has salt in it, and ain't fenced off from the rest of the ocean, its an ocean......therefore I propose we change the name to the Ocean of Mexico....

You're welcome.

Rev

All I know is I'd give anything to switch places with panhandlepig so I could live on the ocean.  Gotta be nice.

Rev. Jerry Falwell

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 15, 2015, 06:56:38 am
All I know is I'd give anything to switch places with panhandlepig so I could live on the ocean.  Gotta be nice.

Not me.....it's hard to take a whizz in the ocean when them waves are poundin' on ya.....

Rev
Goats are handy...milk, cheese, mower, fertilizer, sex toy, BBQ.  They're like the swiss army knife of animals.......you can quote me on this....

panhandlepig

Quote from: Rev. Jerry Falwell on May 15, 2015, 04:39:29 pm
Not me.....it's hard to take a whizz in the ocean when them waves are poundin' on ya.....

Rev

Waves?  Pounding? Hah.  If you can't stand up in the Gulf of Mexico long enough to take a whizz, sit down right about where the "waves" 'crash" on shore,stare out to the horizon and act like you are contemplating something profound and whizz away.  Everybody does it and no one pays attention.

Rev. Jerry Falwell

The day I was down there, they was poundin' like a teenage boy......had several knock my arse plumb down......had several gals slap my arse plumb down too.....

Rev

GolfNut57

Quote from: panhandlepig on May 13, 2015, 05:59:48 pm
  In that case, I would recommend Daytona Beach. I haven't been there since the early 80's.  I'm not sure about now, but then you could drive your car on the beach and park it right up by the water and turn your radio on.  No toting a cooler and chairs...just drive. It was awesome. I just googled it and you still can..costs you 10 bucks but that's a bargain in my opinion.

Daytona Beach gets my vote. We usually go there every year and get a hotel room that overlooks the beach. Nothing like waking up to a nice sunrise shining into your room, unless you close the heavy curtain that is. If we want a cooler on the beach all we have to do is walk down the staircase from the pool deck and we are sitting pretty in the sand.
    Plenty of activities for the kids right down A1A(South Atlantic Ave) in the line of multiple mini-golf courses, go-cart tracks/waterparks etc. Plus Daytona Beach has the largest indoor Flea market/Outlet mall in the world. And there are over a dozen nice golf courses in the metro area if you are into that. I would recommend the 2 LPGA courses but the Daytona Beach Golf Club, municipal city courses, North and South, along with Cypress Head are pretty nice tracks too.

http://hotelbargain.org/hotel/67557?s1=goog&s2=BP-BW-7-&s3=-US-exact-67557-m20-&th=main&kw=
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Boarcephus

May 18, 2015, 07:16:35 am #20 Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:31:57 am by Boarcephus
Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 15, 2015, 06:56:38 am

Got back yesterday from a 9 night stay in Sandestin and this year has convinced us it's not for us.  As much as we love the ocean, unless you can find that little piece of heaven, the crowds will drive you crazy. On this past Saturday our Beachside II had 200 beach umbrellas set up and that's one property.  Traffic was a pain and it's not even in season yet.  I talked to several owners there and they've come to hate the summer due to the crowds.  We'll go back but never in the spring again.  We'll try the first of October and go from there. 

On a good note, if anyone is planning on going the Destin area and like Oysters, Shrimper's is the place to get them.  I bought a 30 pound box of LA oysters for $50 even and they were the best I've ever had.  Picked up another 30 pound box Saturday and had some before we left and brought the rest home. 

Harbor Walk is a neat place.  They built a new Margaritaville there and while the food is so so, the views are spectacular. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: panhandlepig on May 12, 2015, 03:30:52 pm
^^^^ this. I live in PCB now, but have a condo on the Island and go back there every chance I get. Big beaches, close to Destin without all the traffic.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Hogfaniam

I've always thought this is the week to be at any beach.  Everything is open, getting ready for Memorial Day, but no one is there yet.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

rcopela

Boarcephus

Quote from: rcopela on May 19, 2015, 11:42:22 am
We stay here, great view, no complaints..
http://www.seascape-resort.com/MajesticSun

But you've got to look across 98 to see the beach.  We've stayed in Beachside II for years and the reason why we like it more than the others is it's hard to get any closer to the beach than there. 

john c

Good breakfast and lunches at Donut Hole just east of Sandestin on 98.  Kids always like the food there, I like the prices.

PorcineSublime

Adding in my 2 cents. We love Siesta Key in Sarasota. If you are all about party central then Clearwater or Destin may be more your speed. Siesta Key has party places but they are up away from the beach in the Village. And while I am sure that the sunrise is amazing on Daytona, the sunset on Siesta is likely equally amazing. If you are just about kicking back with a little older quieter crowd, check it out.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

If you are looking for something quiet (not the tourist trap of Destin, Sandestin, 30A) with beautiful beaches and excellent food, check out Gulf and Franklin County.

Cape San Blas and St. George Island aren't nearly as crowded and virtually zero traffic.

I lived in Blue Mountain Beach (South Walton/30A) for 12 years and moved to Cape San Blas.  Huge positive difference.  Still a piece of old Florida.  No snobs, traffic or hundreds of vendor set ups...

Worth checking out....just don't stay...   ;)
"I hope we get nuked somewhere big, and soon.  LA would be a good place, as is S.F."-  Silver (Swiss) Hog 4/6/10

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Arkiehawg (kingfish0318) on May 24, 2015, 12:35:52 pm
If you are looking for something quiet (not the tourist trap of Destin, Sandestin, 30A) with beautiful beaches and excellent food, check out Gulf and Franklin County.

Cape San Blas and St. George Island aren't nearly as crowded and virtually zero traffic.

I lived in Blue Mountain Beach (South Walton/30A) for 12 years and moved to Cape San Blas.  Huge positive difference.  Still a piece of old Florida.  No snobs, traffic or hundreds of vendor set ups...

^^^this. Took the parents there one day last week. They had never been. Seemed to enjoy it. Used to stay there a couple of weeks a year until about 5 years ago. Amazed at how many houses have been built there during that time. Definitely Old Florida
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Arkiehawg (kingfish0318) on May 24, 2015, 12:35:52 pm

Excellent suggestion. Just a little farther down the road. It's what Navarre and South Walton used to look like. It won't be long and it will be ruined also.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hoot72

We always go to 30A the week of Mothers' Day.  This year we took a drive down to Cape San Blas, because our son and his family will be down there in August.  From appearances, I still like the Seagrove area of 30A better, but Mexico Beach, Can San Blas, and others down that way could be very enjoyable.  IF you go to Cape San Blas, be sure you go to eat at Indian Pass Raw Bar.  The oysters are fantastic, and the atmosphere is definitely unusual.

jdelo77

We just got back from fort Walton ( our friends own a condo there ) we ate at a bunch of different places but the biggest problem is the service , almost every where was horrible ! We tried a new place called rockin tacos and we got up and left after 20  mins because the we got the worst margaritas and the waitress never came back , she later told us that there was no tequila in the whole batch they just made ! Don't even get me started on margaritaville ! Harry ts was the best service we had ! It just gets worse year after year ...

Boarcephus

Quote from: jdelo77 on June 07, 2015, 08:14:58 pm
It just gets worse year after year ...

And more and more crowded.  We just made our last spring trip to Destin.  I'm sure we'll go back but we'll do it early in the fall, like the first week in Oct.  or so.

jdelo77

I agree , we went to Grayton Beach in August and it was awesome ! The only thing was it was Expensive !!! We might go there next time ...

Boarcephus

Quote from: jdelo77 on June 08, 2015, 02:03:31 pm
I agree , we went to Grayton Beach in August and it was awesome ! The only thing was it was Expensive !!! We might go there next time ...

From the middle of May up to the first of October it's turned into one expensive trip.  The Fall Rates start the first of October and that makes it more bearable plus the kids are back in school and the crowds are gone.

Jackrabbit Hog

Headed to Seagrove Beach the first week of August, before the youngest starts her junior year up on the Hill.  Left the details to the wife this time, and she's booked one of those 4-5 family condos on the beach, through VRBO.  A little more expensive than I would have booked, but she likes the amenities so she should be happy.

I'll make it a point to try Stinky's this time, Boarcephus. 

bplease

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 08, 2015, 03:19:05 pm
Headed to Seagrove Beach the first week of August, before the youngest starts her junior year up on the Hill.  Left the details to the wife this time, and she's booked one of those 4-5 family condos on the beach, through VRBO.  A little more expensive than I would have booked, but she likes the amenities so she should be happy.

I'll make it a point to try Stinky's this time, Boarcephus. 
We are staying very close to Stinky's again this year and I will be eating there a couple times. It's great as long as you don't get there after the line has started.
Didn't respond to the poll.  If a football coach is responsible for teaching my son morality, I'm not much of a Father.

Boarcephus

Quote from: bplease on June 08, 2015, 03:22:12 pm
We are staying very close to Stinky's again this year and I will be eating there a couple times. It's great as long as you don't get there after the line has started.

Went there 3 times the week we were there.  Great food but like every single other place down there, they've raised their prices.  A dozen oysters on the half shell are now up to $15/dozen.  We've started getting ours at Shrimpers and taken them back to the room.  30 pound box for $50

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 08, 2015, 04:20:59 pm
Went there 3 times the week we were there.  Great food but like every single other place down there, they've raised their prices.  A dozen oysters on the half shell are now up to $15/dozen.  We've started getting ours at Shrimpers and taken them back to the room.  30 pound box for $50

My wife's already told me we're gonna buy a big mess of fresh shrimp, potatoes, corn, onions and what not, and having a big ol' shrimp boil that'll last us 2-3 nights instead of eating out and spending our retirement on it.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 08, 2015, 05:46:30 pm
My wife's already told me we're gonna buy a big mess of fresh shrimp, potatoes, corn, onions and what not, and having a big ol' shrimp boil that'll last us 2-3 nights instead of eating out and spending our retirement on it.

Where are you planning on buying your shrimp?

Jackrabbit Hog

I'll have to ask her the name of the place.  She was down there in the spring and found a place she liked, and she's already told me that's where she's getting the shrimp.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 08, 2015, 07:05:00 pm
I'll have to ask her the name of the place.  She was down there in the spring and found a place she liked, and she's already told me that's where she's getting the shrimp.

As Forrest Gump said, "That's one less thing to worry about".  ;)

The reason I asked was we'd always bought ours at Sexton's till this year.  We stopped by and what they had looked small and overpriced.  We wound up buying all of ours at Shrimpers.  I know that sounds sacrilegious as hell but probably the best shrimp we bought was at Publix.  They had a sale on the big brown shrimp and they steamed and seasoned them for us and we took them home and gorged on those things.

Hoot72

We have always used Goatfeathers, and they are always great!

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hoot72 on June 08, 2015, 08:24:38 pm
We have always used Goatfeathers, and they are always great!

What, and where, is Goatfeathers?

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 09, 2015, 06:44:58 am
What, and where, is Goatfeathers?

There is one in Seagrove and the other next to the public access at Gulf Place.   Good seafood, but I wouldn't recommend their restaurant...

IMO, Shrimpers has better seafood and much cleaner environment...
"I hope we get nuked somewhere big, and soon.  LA would be a good place, as is S.F."-  Silver (Swiss) Hog 4/6/10

bplease

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 08, 2015, 04:20:59 pm
Yeah they weren't the cheapest last year either. Haven't done shrimpers but the goatfeathers closer to dune allen has been very good. I plan on going there on the first day this time.

Has anyone rented any paddle boards or kayaks in the 30a area? We haven't looked too hard but we are planning to at least rent a couple paddle boards. Last year there was a pod of dolphins that would show up in the morning and afternoon every day. 2-3 locals and 2-3 visitors would paddle out with the pod swimming and jumping all around them.

jry04

Quote from: jdelo77 on June 07, 2015, 08:14:58 pm
We just got back from fort Walton ( our friends own a condo there ) we ate at a bunch of different places but the biggest problem is the service , almost every where was horrible ! We tried a new place called rockin tacos and we got up and left after 20  mins because the we got the worst margaritas and the waitress never came back , she later told us that there was no tequila in the whole batch they just made ! Don't even get me started on margaritaville ! Harry ts was the best service we had ! It just gets worse year after year ...
I am staying on Okaloosa Island in August. How are the beaches/water there?

I plan on going Snorkeling in Destin, too. Anyone have experience with how good the snorkeling is there?

Hogfly

Water is generally clear (providing there's no junegrass), but "snorkeling" is kind of lame. I mean... there's no reef or structure at all for miles and miles. You will see schools of fish that are scooting through the area, hermit crabs, and things of that nature.

If you've snorkeled on a reef structure, though, you're going to probably be disappointed.

jry04

Quote from: Hogfly on June 16, 2015, 02:44:06 pm
Water is generally clear (providing there's no junegrass), but "snorkeling" is kind of lame. I mean... there's no reef or structure at all for miles and miles. You will see schools of fish that are scooting through the area, hermit crabs, and things of that nature.

If you've snorkeled on a reef structure, though, you're going to probably be disappointed.

Never have, so I won't be able to compare it to that. However, I definitely plan on doing it in the future.

Boarcephus

Quote from: jry04 on June 16, 2015, 01:57:11 pm
I am staying on Okaloosa Island in August. How are the beaches/water there?

I plan on going Snorkeling in Destin, too. Anyone have experience with how good the snorkeling is there?

I used to snorkel several years ago until I lost my nerve but if you get out past the second sand bar you can find huge Sand Dollars all over the bottom.  You can scoop them up by the dozen.  As far as shells and such, you're pretty much out of luck.