Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We need a true point guard.

Started by luke hawg, March 17, 2018, 12:54:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on March 17, 2018, 02:06:39 pm
I think you unintentionally just point out the problem with MA I keep saying. Durham had one good season because he was ANOTHER JUCO. High school recruiting has been atrocious at best and instead of young guys being brought in to develop to build the program, we have been fed a steady diet of Jucos and low level transfers. This is why we always seeming are missing a piece or pieces to the puzzle.
Every year we have been missing a piece at minimum. This year a good PG and PF who could rebound and move guys around would have made us an elite team. Mike has the potential 2 years from now but HAS to recruit a couple true centers. We will have to retain all these incoming players. We need Gafford to help bridge the gap.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Danny J on March 18, 2018, 12:16:35 pm
Every year we have been missing a piece at minimum. This year a good PG and PF who could rebound and move guys around would have made us an elite team. Mike has the potential 2 years from now but HAS to recruit a couple true centers. We will have to retain all these incoming players. We need Gafford to help bridge the gap.
There it is, in plain English!

sadhogfan

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 18, 2018, 10:56:02 am
Do you even think before you post this stuff?

Those are Nolan players.

The suggestion was that true point guards don't work in this offense. This is a Nolan-inspired offense with minimal tweaks.

The three players I mentioned excelled—as point guards—in this system, under a different coach.

Can you connect the dots yet?

PonderinHog

Didn't Mike have a pretty good PG at Mizzou?  Can't think of his name.

Rbill

Quote from: fineswine on March 17, 2018, 02:11:43 pm
I completely agree. Anderson has been what he has always been, a poor recruiter. It has been mentioned before (don't know if it is true), that he was the recruiting director for Coach Richardson during the lean years.  I just didn't think the initial poster gave Durham his proper due.

Let me preface this by saying I am completely guessing here, but I have the impression Mike doesn't make false promises or blow smoke up your butt during recruiting. He also isn't messing around with the dark side of recruiting the FBI is getting involved in. My guess is that kids these days aren't interested in hearing they're going to be held accountable for their actions, have to work hard to earn playing time in a system where seniority is valued, and grow into men. I'm not saying I agree with his recruiting technique, but I bet he actually emphasizes family and growing into men during recruiting.

Kids these days, and their parents sadly, are more interested in what calipari has to say.

Rome26

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 18, 2018, 12:01:40 pm
Jabril Durham averaged 6 points and 6 assists per game his senior year. If Jalen Harris can give the Hogs that, and stay in front of his man the majority of the time, the Hogs will be alright. Beard wouldn't or couldn't stay in front of nobody.

Macon and Barford struggled to stay in front of their man too but everyone give them a pass.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Rome26 on March 18, 2018, 01:10:56 pm
Macon and Barford struggled to stay in front of their man too but everyone give them a pass.
Well, they did score a lot of points in two years.

luke hawg

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on March 18, 2018, 03:23:50 am
PG in this system is about not becoming stagnant (the motionless motion offense) and passing to get people involved.  Having guards that can defend the dribble, stay in front of average to above average guards by moving their feet instead of hands would be a start.  Stop the incessant disadvantage predetermined switching / trapping that results in leaving shooters that we are slow to rotate.

The bigger issue for Mike is PF.  It's the most vital position in Mike's system yet outside of Portis, Coty Clarke is the only athletic but skilled one that played of any quality and once again he was a JUCO.   We've had holes all throughout the roster not addressed and a bench full of mid level role players taking up scholarships.  He can play 9, 10 or 11 guys whatever but when the quality play drops off so far that's not the depth he loves to boast.  He loves talking up the depth and fast pace but doesn't trust it enough to really press defensively so we get this half hearted hope the shooters get tired and miss nonsense.

Great post most people think offense only when talking about the benefits of good PG. You are also accurate in mentioning the importance of a good 4.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Rome26 on March 18, 2018, 01:10:56 pm

I agree. The perimeter defense was nonexistent.

steveaustin69

Quote from: sadhogfan on March 18, 2018, 12:38:57 pm
The suggestion was that true point guards don't work in this offense. This is a Nolan-inspired offense with minimal tweaks.

The three players I mentioned excelled—as point guards—in this system, under a different coach.

Can you connect the dots yet?

Do you understand how stupid what you're saying is?

steveaustin69

Quote from: Rbill on March 18, 2018, 12:57:36 pm
Let me preface this by saying I am completely guessing here, but I have the impression Mike doesn't make false promises or blow smoke up your butt during recruiting. He also isn't messing around with the dark side of recruiting the FBI is getting involved in. My guess is that kids these days aren't interested in hearing they're going to be held accountable for their actions, have to work hard to earn playing time in a system where seniority is valued, and grow into men. I'm not saying I agree with his recruiting technique, but I bet he actually emphasizes family and growing into men during recruiting.

Kids these days, and their parents sadly, are more interested in what calipari has to say.

I would be to. Better coach.

rude1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 18, 2018, 12:01:40 pm
Jabril Durham averaged 6 points and 6 assists per game his senior year. If Jalen Harris can give the Hogs that, and stay in front of his man the majority of the time, the Hogs will be alright. Beard wouldn't or couldn't stay in front of nobody.
Agreed. Beard was bad at keeping anyone in front of him but Macon & Barford weren't a whole lot better, most of our defensive woes were caused by those three giving up dribble penetration time and again. Just never understood the philosophy of having either of those three guys to go out and tag a ball handler 35 ft. from the basket, in one or two bounces he was by them and into the teeth of the defense.

Hogimus Prime

Until MA can start getting a couple true 4s and stop with the undersized combo forward his teams will continue to be what they have been.  I'm not talking a 6'9" 240lbs, though at least one would be nice.  A Derek Hood/Nick Davis types. Long and athletic. Outside of Coty Clarke and Aldansie Harris what MA has brought in can't shoot, handle the ball, rebound or have any constituency.

sadhogfan

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 18, 2018, 05:10:59 pm
Do you understand how stupid what you're saying is?

So the answer is "no, I cannot connect the dots yet."

Cool.

HognitiveDissonance

Mike will get better players. it just a matter of time. A. Beard is on the way at PG.  ---FCJ

The Hogfather

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 20, 2018, 12:32:54 am
Mike will get better players. it just a matter of time. A. Beard is on the way at PG.  ---FCJ

Could be much worse.  We could've gotten Allen instead of Barford or Macon...

rolyat_2008

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 18, 2018, 05:39:51 pm
Until MA can start getting a couple true 4s and stop with the undersized combo forward his teams will continue to be what they have been.  I'm not talking a 6'9" 240lbs, though at least one would be nice.  A Derek Hood/Nick Davis types. Long and athletic. Outside of Coty Clarke and Aldansie Harris what MA has brought in can't shoot, handle the ball, rebound or have any constituency.
It's his biggest oversight by far. Now he has us in position to lose Thompson as a senior without replacing him effectively and the draft taking Gafford forcing us to scramble late for a remaining JUCO big or else two freshmen 6'7 and 6'8 will have to play center. 🤔

Pinto

Keyshawn Embery has went into the "true PG" role since transferring to IMG and playing with a lineup full of highly regarded players. I've been really impressed with his vision, IQ and composure the few games I've watched him play via streams and playbacks. He's not sitting out there on the perimeter pounding the air out the rock trying to get his ppg up like we're used to seeing. He does a very nice job with getting every one involved and seeing the play before it happens. Very good penetrate and dish guy opposed to penetrate and force over the defender(s) who are all a foot taller than you. It will be very refreshing to see unselfish basketball for a change

redleg

Jalen Harris is a true PG. He should be the guy for the next two seasons. Maybe that will allow Sills and Embery to develop. But it may not matter with Justice Hill arriving in two years. Hill is a dynamic facilitator, and a true PG as well.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

HF#1

In Mike's "system", seems to me that the main role of a true PG would be defensively, not offensively. As far as I can tell, a true pg would not help much in the half court because we don't run anything. When people say you have a "motion" offense, that means you don't run an offense. You move and pass the ball until you get a good shot. Perhaps a true pg will help find that good shot but his main role will be to defend.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

steveaustin69

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 20, 2018, 12:50:56 am
Could be much worse.  We could've gotten Allen instead of Barford or Macon...

GlassofSwine

Quote from: HF#1 on March 20, 2018, 09:18:35 am
In Mike's "system", seems to me that the main role of a true PG would be defensively, not offensively. As far as I can tell, a true pg would not help much in the half court because we don't run anything. When people say you have a "motion" offense, that means you don't run an offense. You move and pass the ball until you get a good shot. Perhaps a true pg will help find that good shot but his main role will be to defend.

That's not what a motion offense is and yes a true point guard ala  Chris Chiozza would be helpful to us (and any team for that matter). The ability to have a guy avg. over 5 assists a game, who can get in the lane at will and kick to open shooters while hitting a decent pct. of outside shots so defenders have to play up on him. That's invaluable in college.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Pinto on March 20, 2018, 08:29:46 am
Keyshawn Embery has went into the "true PG" role since transferring to IMG and playing with a lineup full of highly regarded players. I've been really impressed with his vision, IQ and composure the few games I've watched him play via streams and playbacks. He's not sitting out there on the perimeter pounding the air out the rock trying to get his ppg up like we're used to seeing. He does a very nice job with getting every one involved and seeing the play before it happens. Very good penetrate and dish guy opposed to penetrate and force over the defender(s) who are all a foot taller than you. It will be very refreshing to see unselfish basketball for a change

Are his assist numbers good?

Pinto

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 20, 2018, 09:57:35 am
Are his assist numbers good?

I've been trying to find his stats but I can't seem to find them any where. They would be partially skewed because he didn't start playing until January( then on minutes restriction for a few games) due to a nagging injury. However, the games I've watched him play, I've counted at least 6 assists every game. And he doesn't really dominate the ball due to the crazy amount of talent on his team, he just makes great passes; very good at penetrating and throwing the lob once helpside defender arrives. I think he will eventually beat out J5 for the starting PG spot even though I really like Jalen

Hoggish1

Quote from: luke hawg on March 17, 2018, 12:54:58 pm
Mike has not recruited one since coming to Arkansas. This system requires it for success.

So, if the system requires one for success and Mike is the coach of that system, how does he not have a penetrating guard like LSU has, or like anyone else in the conference.

I'm really puzzled...  Please explain this conundrum?!

Hoggish1

Hoggish1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 17, 2018, 01:04:27 pm
I thought Beard would develop into a point guard. Just didn't have the mentality to want to play the position.

Beard is slow and pudgy and a gone senior...  Who else did you think would develop?

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 20, 2018, 10:34:59 am
So, if the system requires one for success and Mike is the coach of that system, how does he not have a penetrating guard like LSU has, or like anyone else in the conference.

I'm really puzzled...  Please explain this conundrum?!

Because there has not been a true PG come out of the ranks of Ar HS ball, nor has any of his friends or family in other state produced one.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hoggish1

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2018, 10:41:52 am
Because there has not been a true PG come out of the ranks of Ar HS ball, nor has any of his friends or family in other state produced one.

Oh.  Well then let's give him a pass if that's what it is...  Thanks for un-confusing me.

311Hog

HF#1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 09:51:18 am
That's not what a motion offense is and yes a true point guard ala  Chris Chiozza would be helpful to us (and any team for that matter). The ability to have a guy avg. over 5 assists a game, who can get in the lane at will and kick to open shooters while hitting a decent pct. of outside shots so defenders have to play up on him. That's invaluable in college.

That is what our motion offense is.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

porkinsons disease

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 18, 2018, 08:31:42 am
What a bunch of losers, why do jump ball posters trash every single hog recruit holy crap
It's pretty much the same as throwing them under the bus after we lose because of coaching deficiencies.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011