Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FINISH

Started by twistitup, August 17, 2017, 11:38:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

Quote from: clutch on August 20, 2017, 07:28:24 pm
If only it were even remotely close to that simple. It's pretty funny that you think it is though. Step into a huddle with some teenage kids that are down in the dumps and see if a pep talk is going to turn everything around. I can promise you one thing, it's going to take a lot more than 30 seconds to get everyone "completely focused" again. If it were that simple some college would be paying Tony Robbins millions of dollars to stand on their sidelines for a couple months a year.

12247 actually believe CBB doesn't really care if he wins or loses, but he is going to try to win this year just so he can get a contract extension. Then, he wont care about winning so much again until his contract needs another extension. He actually believes that!

gchamblee

Quote from: hawgon on August 20, 2017, 08:17:06 pm
It's really pretty simple, but hard to do if you are not an anal retentive details oriented arsehole.

You have to have a team so drilled that it doesn't think, it just does.  They have to really believe in that if they do exactly as they have practiced and been coached, that they will get good results.  And you can't wing it and expect success.  Every conceivable thing has to be anticipated, planned, and practiced.  The coach has to be incredibly demanding of not just his players and assistants but himself as well. 

After one of his US Open wins a woman approached Ben Hogan and said, "Gee, Mr. Hogan you sure got some lucky breaks out there today."  Hogan replied, "It's funny, the more I practice the luckier I get."

Are you suggesting we should cheat and practice more than the NCAA allows us to?

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on August 20, 2017, 08:41:25 pm
If a coach's players don't respect him to the point that they'll 100% buy in to what he's doing because it works, He isn't going to have much success. It's one thing for players to like their coach but it's another for them to respect him. Last year many of the defensive players didn't respect Robb Smith because his system wasn't working and it hurt the team. The players seem to very much respect coach Rhoads and seem to be 100% buying in to his system.

On a personal level, Bobby Petrino's Hogs didn't like him at all but they respected the heck out of him and 100% bought in to his system because it worked. I think Bret Bielema's Hogs respect him just as much.

Doing something because someone has the power to make your life miserable if you do not, is not respect but fear. CBP's players feared him, they did not respect him. You can disagree all you want, but I am convinced of it.

gchamblee

Quote from: hawgon on August 20, 2017, 08:53:42 pm
You going to respect a guy pushing 400 pounds who tries to tell you what you need to do to get in shape or tries to talk to you about personal discipline?

The players on the team do. You have some evidence of the contrary? Or are you just running your mouth looking for anything you can say to discredit the current coaching staff?

gchamblee

Quote from: hawgon on August 20, 2017, 09:57:20 pm
Not really.  Someone not disciplined enough to keep themselves south of 350 pounds likely isn't disciplined enough to do lots of other stuff.

I would bet a paycheck that CBB is more disciplined than you in most every aspect of life.

hawgon

Quote from: gchamblee on August 21, 2017, 06:12:23 am
Are you suggesting we should cheat and practice more than the NCAA allows us to?

I'm suggesting that the coach work hard enough that not one single second of practice or meeting time is wasted and that every conceivable situation be covered to the extent it can in the time we have. 

Al Boarland

Quote from: gchamblee on August 21, 2017, 06:11:09 am
12247 actually believe CBB doesn't really care if he wins or loses, but he is going to try to win this year just so he can get a contract extension. Then, he wont care about winning so much again until his contract needs another extension. He actually believes that!

Can't say I agree. I think we are getting his best every year. That line of thinking goes along with "wanting it more" from a team perspective. The degree to which that stuff impacts a season is minimal.

tampahog

Quote from: clutch on August 20, 2017, 07:28:24 pm
If only it were even remotely close to that simple. It's pretty funny that you think it is though. Step into a huddle with some teenage kids that are down in the dumps and see if a pep talk is going to turn everything around. I can promise you one thing, it's going to take a lot more than 30 seconds to get everyone "completely focused" again. If it were that simple some college would be paying Tony Robbins millions of dollars to stand on their sidelines for a couple months a year.
I just want to see CBB intervene in a meaningful at key points in the game where momentum is on the line and potentially shifting (either in our favor or against us).  I'm not saying the staff hasn't tried but our second half performances in multiple games can't be disputed as depicted by the second half scoring numbers shared in an earlier post.  A&M, TCU, Mizzou, and VaTech all snagged the momentum from us at key points in the game and thus we only recovered in one of those.  What I noticed in both the Mizzou and VaTech games was that both Odom and Fuente huddled their teams on the field right at the end of the first half before they went into the locker room and while I don't know what was said, I'm sure it was something along the lines of "Men, we've taken their best punch and it's our time now, we are still very much in this, etc...".  The point is both of those coaches sensed a momentum shift heading into the half and they capitalized on it right away.  In both cases, I told my wife "this game isn't over yet" and she thought I was crazy. Both teams came out in the second half and completely changed the momentum of the game.   I'm a big CBB supporter and I do believe his approach to building our program (a 2 deep of developed upperclassmen over star power) is a formula that will eventually work here and I very much want him to succeed.  This program needs coaching stability in the worst way.  CBB is the CEO coach that we always wanted back in the days when HDN thought he was the best OC around and CBP put most if not all of his focus on the offense.  What CBB seems to be lacking is the ability to react to the emotional and momentum shifts that occur on the battlefield and rally the troops mentally when it counts most. It's almost like he takes an "all business NFL style" approach to the college game which is great in many ways but sometimes with young kids, you can't wait on your veterans to lead.  Sometimes the coach has to stir up the emotions of his team and lead in times of adversity otherwise you will always lose some games you should have won.  I really hope he succeeds here.

GuvHog

August 21, 2017, 07:43:06 am #108 Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:53:04 am by GuvHog
Quote from: gchamblee on August 21, 2017, 06:15:34 am
Doing something because someone has the power to make your life miserable if you do not, is not respect but fear. CBP's players feared him, they did not respect him. You can disagree all you want, but I am convinced of it.

You need to listen to his former Hog players that have been interviewed on TV because you are wrong. Petrino's Hogs didn't like him bet they respected him and 100% bought into his system because it worked.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

gchamblee

Quote from: hawgon on August 21, 2017, 06:44:12 am
I'm suggesting that the coach work hard enough that not one single second of practice or meeting time is wasted and that every conceivable situation be covered to the extent it can in the time we have.

Do you have any evidence that he isn't already doing that?

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on August 21, 2017, 07:43:06 am
You need to listen to his former Hog players that have been interviewed on TV because you are wrong. Petrino's Hogs didn't like him bet they respected him and 100% bought into his system because it worked. Your hatred for him is blinding you.

I don't hate him. Since you got that much wrong, why should I trust you to be right about anything else?

hawgon

Quote from: gchamblee on August 21, 2017, 08:44:41 am
Do you have any evidence that he isn't already doing that?

Yes, plenty.

gchamblee

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on August 21, 2017, 08:45:56 am
I don't hate him. Since you got that much wrong, why should I trust you to be right about anything else?

Maybe because I listened to his former players when they were interviewed on TV.

I take back the comment about you hating Petrino. My mistake. There are some on here who do.

hawgon

gchamblee

twistitup

Quote from: gchamblee on August 21, 2017, 06:15:34 am

Is fear the greatest motivator ?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on August 21, 2017, 09:32:23 am

I wouldn't think so.

hawgon

Quote from: twistitup on August 21, 2017, 09:32:23 am

Absolutely.  As Machiavelli said, "It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both."

Love alone always fails at some point because in the end, people love themselves more than others.  But fear is a pretty consistent motivator as long as people feel as though they have something to lose.

Obviously, being loved and feared is optimum but live without fear always fails.

hawgsalot

Quote from: hawgon on August 21, 2017, 06:44:12 am

Have you ever been to practice or around CBB? 

hawgon

Quote from: hawgsalot on August 21, 2017, 10:07:31 am
Have you ever been to practice or around CBB?

Don't need to.  I see the lack of organization and results at games.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2017, 09:42:41 am
I wouldn't think so.

Read up on a Hall of Fame Head Coach named Vince Lombardi. He was a great one who also wasn't a players coach. His players didn't like him but they highly respected him because they knew his system worked. He ran his program like a military boot camp.

Vantage 8 dude

FINISH should be the mantra/slogan for every Hog team during every game, every year. It's really that simple.

hawgon

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 21, 2017, 10:38:34 am
FINISH should be the mantra/slogan for every Hog team during every game, every year. It's really that simple.

I agree, but this coach seems to excel at slogans.  Let's just have some results for a change.  How about for once we don't talk about it and just do it?

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on August 21, 2017, 10:33:39 am
Read up on a Hall of Fame Head Coach named Vince Lombardi. He was a great one who also wasn't a players coach. His players didn't like him but they highly respected him because they knew his system worked. He ran his program like a military boot camp.

I well aware of who Lombardi is, I don't need your drivel to tell me anything. I answered the question as it pertained to me, fear isn't a motivator in my life. Now go back to ruining other countless threads.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on August 21, 2017, 10:33:39 am

You are right Guv, they didn't like him, they loved him. Different era, different way that people were raised and a far different reaction from young men to authority and discipline than the same coach would get today. The so called "hard-ass" coaches of today couldn't hold a candle to Lombardi. But in all fairness, society has changed and they can't conduct themselves like he did.
Go Hogs Go!

Sed76

Right now it's just lip service until we see it on the field during an actual game. If I remember right after the Missouri game coach said something along the lines of that never happening again then it did. Hope the message sticks and we don't live through another season of second half collapses.

hawgsalot

Quote from: hawgon on August 21, 2017, 10:10:36 am
Don't need to.  I see the lack of organization and results at games.

You don't even know what your looking at then, I'm being serious too.

The NewEra

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on August 17, 2017, 12:15:54 pm
Finish is what the players have focused on from the time the bowl game ended. Not game plan, not strategy.  Just finish.  The coaches and the game plan mean nothing when it comes to finishing.  No coach was on the field for a single second half snap against Missouri or VT.  The coaches coached.  The players caved.  It's all on the players.  They are fully aware those failures were theirs.  Like I tell my son.  This team has a lot to prove.  No one, not coaches, fans, or player parents will believe that they can complete the task until they go out and do it.  It's their job to prove us wrong. That's the burden and the chip on their shoulder the players have carried for 8 months.

I BELIEVE in THIS TEAM and I want them to go out there and prove me right.  :)

hawgon

Quote from: hawgsalot on August 21, 2017, 11:11:08 am
You don't even know what your looking at then, I'm being serious too.

I know 10-22.

Tyro3

Quote from: hawgon on August 21, 2017, 11:43:51 am
I know 10-22.

Are you miserable all by yourself, or do you have company, no pun intended, (well maybe a little bit)