Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema-Media Day

Started by ricepig, August 09, 2015, 02:03:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Coach Bielema: We had 102 kids taking summer classes, 65 were over 3.0, 17 had 4.0.

Bielema: Last night I cut meetings about an hour short for them to go home and rest. Told them they had earned it.

Bielema: This is probably the hardest 105-man roster I've ever had to make.

Bielema: Says DB Kevin Richardson has been put on scholarship. The kid has earned that.

Ke'Tyus Marks is not in the 105 nor is injured TB Juan Day - both will on hand when school starts. Marks could come in early if DL gets hurt

Bielema: I won't be satisfied until we win a championship. That's the ultimate goal.

Bielema: We had a Danish TV crew in here today, following Hjalte Froholdt.

Bielema: Yesterday was the hottest day of the three ... and we had the fewest guys hit the critical weight loss number & they were working

Coach Bielema: Freshman Austin Cantrell has stood out at FB along with holdovers Kody Walker and Tyler Colquitt

Bielema: Frank Ragnow is going to be really special. He's a really, really good player.

Coach B: Walk on OL Johnny Gibson has jumped into two-deep.

Bielema: For Brandon Allen to take the next step, he needs to be big in big moments.

Dan Skipper lost 11 pounds during practice yesterday. I guess that explains why he had to sit out a couple plays. He finished practice, tho.

Dominique Reed @Speedkills_03 broad jumped 11'11" this summer, which is three inches short of the combine record, according to Bret Bielema.

Coach B: Lauds all 3 new TEs in Austin Cantrell, C.J. O'Grady and Will Gragg, who has redefined his body this summer.

ricepig

Bielema: We moved Jamario Bell to outside linebacker, and the past two days, he's looked pretty good.

Coach B: LB Dre Greenlaw came in at 218 and is now at 229. It's going to be hard to keep him off field.

Bielema: Austin Allen, from last fall to where we are now, is probably one of the most improved players on the team.

ricepig

Bielema talking up Austin Allen: His huddle presence, his accuracy. He's added about 10 yards to his deep ball. Trimmed down, more committed

Bielema: Says the team went nuts to hear a TV crew from Denmark was in town covering progress of frosh DT Hjalte Froholdt

ricepig

Coach B: Hjalte Froholdt is at NG, could play either interior defensive spots, probably could play end and would be a freak show on offense.

Bielema: DJ Dean has a lot of charisma. He and Jared Collins are the team's most productive corners

Bigdavis

ricepig

Bielema: The only person who limits Alex Collins is Alex Collins. ... Jemal Singleton has had a really nice effect on him.

Coach B: All of college football has one bye week this season. We have 6 games,a bye and then 6 more games.

Bielema: We play really well coming out of bye weeks, and to have Auburn coming after our bye week makes my heart smile.

snoblind

ricepig

Bielema: By no means have we arrived. I reiterated to my players that we won seven games. It's not that big of deal.

Coach B: J-Will is going to have a special year, Kody Walker is up to 260 and a beast, Rawleigh Williams has caught the attention of several

Bielema: We call Rawleigh Williams "shadow" because wherever J-Will is, Rawleigh is right there behind him.

ldfergu

Thanks rice! Really good to hear about Austin Allen being one of the most improved. Nothing could push BA harder then his little brother knocking on the door.

But how did Skipper lose 11 lbs in yeaterdays practice?? Lol

ricepig

Coach B: I want to land one of the two RBs (Devin White, Devwah Whaley) that we have on our list. If we do, we will be a freak show.

ricepig

I'm sure the video of it will be up soon, I just figured those who aren't on twitter  would appreciate the tweets on it.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: ricepig on August 09, 2015, 02:14:52 pm
Bielema: The only person who limits Alex Collins is Alex Collins. ... Jemal Singleton has had a really nice effect on him.

Coach B: All of college football has one bye week this season. We have 6 games,a bye and then 6 more games.

Bielema: We play really well coming out of bye weeks, and to have Auburn coming after our bye week makes my heart smile.
;D Meeeeeee too! Gotta love Coach B. Let's do it.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

PorkRinds

I really love this team and our coach.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: ricepig on August 09, 2015, 02:17:18 pm
Bielema: By no means have we arrived. I reiterated to my players that we won seven games. It's not that big of deal.

Coach B: J-Will is going to have a special year, Kody Walker is up to 260 and a beast, Rawleigh Williams has caught the attention of several

Bielema: We call Rawleigh Williams "shadow" because wherever J-Will is, Rawleigh is right there behind him.
I'm really proud of how our freshmen have been welcomed and taken under the wings of the upperclassmen. Team work.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Hog N Bama

Quote from: ricepig on August 09, 2015, 02:19:03 pm
Coach B: I want to land one of the two RBs (Devin White, Devwah Whaley) that we have on our list. If we do, we will be a freak show.
Yep. And if Coach Pittman keeps adding road grator depth, the sky is the limit for those guys if they come on board. :razorback: :razorback:

ldfergu

What are Austin A's measureables?

ThisTeetsTaken

This is the most #Uncommon team we've had in quite some time IMO.  Just from a standpoint of depth and overall talent.  Johnny Gibson would already be a starter for the last two regimes ( I'm not counting JL Slappy Cakes), the kid is a stud. When is the last time we've had this much depth on both lines?  Was it the depth chart Danny Ford left HDN in 1998?  Further back?  I hope it all comes together for us this year and we get back to where we belong.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

berryhog

Does Marks have an injury ?  If not, I assume being left off the 105 is motivational ?

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: berryhog on August 09, 2015, 04:25:43 pm
Does Marks have an injury ?  If not, I assume being left off the 105 is motivational ?
Didn't sound like it.  Sounded like he was just (don't take this the wrong way) the 106th most important player to the team. CBB said he would be the first one back if a DT went down.

Bigdavis

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on August 09, 2015, 04:28:20 pm
Didn't sound like it.  Sounded like he was just (don't take this the wrong way) the 106th most important player to the team. CBB said he would be the first one back if a DT went down.

That's what I took from it too. It's amazing that we've gone from looking for people to fill out the 105 to having to leave talented guys out for lack of room.

berryhog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on August 09, 2015, 04:28:20 pm

Quote from: Bigdavis on August 09, 2015, 04:29:47 pm
That's what I took from it too. It's amazing that we've gone from looking for people to fill out the 105 to having to leave talented guys out for lack of room.

Just curious.  It seems odd to have a non-injured, scholarship player not be on the 105.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: berryhog on August 09, 2015, 04:37:51 pm
Just curious.  It seems odd to have a non-injured, scholarship player not be on the 105.
I think it's a product of our D-line depth more than anything.

ricepig

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on August 09, 2015, 04:38:53 pm
I think it's a product of our D-line depth more than anything.

And it's only getting better, or worse, depending on your status.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on August 09, 2015, 04:45:50 pm
And it's only getting better, or worse, depending on your status.

You earn what you get.
Go Hogs Go!

JIHawg

Ricepig I have no clue who you are, but I'm beginning to like you a lot.

rangertaunton

Looks like we will have another 2016 a a a scholarship if marks transfers and the tea leaves are telling me that
Mess with the boar,get the tusks!!!

ricepig

Quote from: rangertaunton on August 09, 2015, 04:59:18 pm
Looks like we will have another 2016 a a a scholarship if marks transfers and the tea leaves are telling me that

Who knows, the season is long. Bielema sounded like in his PC yesterday that he would be awarding 4 scholarships this camp. That may, or may not have any bearing on our numbers.

JIHawg

A certain middle linebacker might get one.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Bigdavis on August 09, 2015, 04:29:47 pm

Bielema said it was the hardest cut-down he had ever had to make (only 105 players can report before school begins). That implies this Arkansas team is deeper than any team he has ever had.
[CENSORED]!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: berryhog on August 09, 2015, 04:25:43 pm

I thought I remembered reading somebody talking about this kid had tons of talent, but was struggling either with 'want to' or something along those lines.

IMHO if there is any coach and staff that can reach a kid and get him to that top level as a player and student, it's the guy(s) we have on the Hill right now.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

JIHawg

Whatever happens, he will be treated fairly and taken care of.  That's the BB way.

Biggus Piggus

What I love hearing: Bielema had praise for young offensive linemen Jalen Merrick, Zach Rogers, Josh Allen, Johnny Gibson, and Colton Jackson.
[CENSORED]!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 09, 2015, 05:19:33 pm
What I love hearing: Bielema had praise for young offensive linemen Jalen Merrick, Zach Rogers, Josh Allen, Johnny Gibson, and Colton Jackson.

All of that is good news. Let us hope that they all play to his expectations this season. If they do, 2016 will prove to be less daunting for the Hogs along the O-Line. Rotate these kids in early and often for the first 4 games and then thereafter when they have proven that they can perform at a high level.
Go Hogs Go!

Biggus Piggus

It's great to hear that all the young Olinemen worked hard in the summer and did not come back out of shape. Not everyone understands what it takes to get ready for college football.

Bielema's also really happy with Dre Greenlaw at LB.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Bielema said Austin Allen was one of the most improved players on the team -- conditioning, commitment, huddle presence, accuracy, arm strength. Going to get more reps now. Bielema thought that at one time, Austin stood in the background and waited till it was his time.
[CENSORED]!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 09, 2015, 05:29:19 pm
Bielema said Austin Allen was one of the most improved players on the team -- conditioning, commitment, huddle presence, accuracy, arm strength. Going to get more reps now. Bielema thought that at one time, Austin stood in the background and waited till it was his time.

Yeah, I heard that. Bielema seems to have demanded that he become more of a competitor instead of just waiting his turn. He is pushing everyone. Example: K-Marks on the outside of the current 105 roster looking in. That speaks volumes, not just to Marks, but the entire team. The bar of achievement, dedication and performance is being raised.
Go Hogs Go!

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 09, 2015, 05:19:33 pm
He said Jackson was showing them more athleticism than they knew about.  Good stuff.   

farmhawg

Quote from: ricepig on August 09, 2015, 02:07:17 pm
Bielema talking up Austin Allen: His huddle presence, his accuracy. He's added about 10 yards to his deep ball. Trimmed down, more committed

Bielema: Says the team went nuts to hear a TV crew from Denmark was in town covering progress of frosh DT Hjalte Froholdt

Good to hear about AA
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hview

Has there been any word on Chris Jones, walk-on FB? I was wondering if he is still with the team. 

ricepig

Quote from: hview on August 09, 2015, 07:04:22 pm
Has there been any word on Chris Jones, walk-on FB? I was wondering if he is still with the team. 

He was on the 105 roster when practice started.

hawg1221

All of this good info coming from Fall Spring Football Practice is a direct result from the type of recruit that coach Bielema goes after. He's a genius in my opinion!!

flagstaffhog

+10 for the Ricepig. Appreciate you starting the post and the content...

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

Buff

I about choked when I read Skipper lost 11 pounds.  Ho Lee Crap.  I never even think about what I lose when I work outside or hit the gym. 

samurai

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on August 09, 2015, 02:18:02 pm
Thanks rice! Really good to hear about Austin Allen being one of the most improved. Nothing could push BA harder then his little brother knocking on the door.

But how did Skipper lose 11 lbs in yeaterdays practice?? Lol
Didnt play football did you?? Summer practice, August, 100 degree, called dehydration thats why they have weight loss limits. You cant absorb liquid as fast as you can sweat. I played in the 70's suprised more of us didnt die from heat stroke. We were allowed three swallows of water during practice.  ::)

ricepig

Quote from: samurai on August 09, 2015, 07:52:30 pm
Didnt play football did you?? Summer practice, August, 100 degree, called dehydration thats why they have weight loss limits. You cant absorb liquid as fast as you can sweat. I played in the 70's suprised more of us didnt die from heat stroke. We were allowed three swallows of water during practice.  ::)

And two salt tablets to take with those three sips!

hammer66

Quote from: ricepig on August 09, 2015, 07:53:32 pm
And two salt tablets to take with those three sips!

I had no idea what a salt tablet was when I was in HS. Graduated in 85. I can't believe we didn't have a player get seriously hurt in those days. If coaches did today what they did back then, they would get thrown in prison.

Arkansas Fan

Someone say Kody Walker is up to 260? Tacking Williams and Collins is enough now opposing defenses will have to try tackling a 260 pounder that's mostly rested late in games...

Tejano Jawg

Great stuff Rice! And lots of it!

Re: DB Kevin Richardson...today Bo M had a live periscope walk through the locker room. He stopped to talk to KR, about just hearing he was put on scholarship. Really nice seeing how emotional he was. Said he tried to call his folks, but they were in the car headed to Fayetteville.

And Auburn after the open week does 'things' for me too.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

NLRHog92

Quote from: ricepig on August 09, 2015, 02:10:23 pm
Coach B: Hjalte Froholdt is at NG, could play either interior defensive spots, probably could play end and would be a freak show on offense.

Bielema: DJ Dean has a lot of charisma. He and Jared Collins are the team's most productive corners

HF = Hogs' JJ Watt? Let's hope so!