Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fun Fact About UTEP

Started by HogWildBison2011, August 07, 2015, 06:59:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SamBuckhart

Their fall camp is at a resort in New Mexico. Interesting.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

razorbackfan86

Quote from: SamBuckhart on August 07, 2015, 09:22:14 am
Their fall camp is at a resort in New Mexico. Interesting.

Did not know there was a resort in New Mexico.

HoggusMaximus

I've never seen the words resort and New Mexico in the same sentence

SemperHawg

Somewhat off topic, but I think I'm taking UTEP to cover the spread against us...And no this isn't a bashing us thing.  From a common sense point of view I expect this to be the most vanilla of vanilla games plans.  I know openers like this are always that way to an extent. With UTEP we are in the unique position of them also being a common opponent with Rectum Tech before week 3.  So from a film study prospective we it will benefit us more so than normal to show absolutely nothing, seeing as how Kingsbury will be playing them week two and have comparable film before playing us week three. 

Just a thought, or maybe I'm just jonesing too badly for football season and am overthinking everything.

razorbackfan86

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on August 07, 2015, 09:26:48 am

My thoughts exactly. I can't imagine there being any reason to purposely go to New Mexico.

JackJohnson

Quote from: SemperHawg on August 07, 2015, 09:31:45 am
Somewhat off topic, but I think I'm taking UTEP to cover the spread against us...And no this isn't a bashing us thing.  From a common sense point of view I expect this to be the most vanilla of vanilla games plans.  I know openers like this are always that way to an extent. With UTEP we are in the unique position of them also being a common opponent with Rectum Tech before week 3.  So from a film study prospective we it will benefit us more so than normal to show absolutely nothing, seeing as how Kingsbury will be playing them week two and have comparable film before playing us week three. 

Just a thought, or maybe I'm just jonesing too badly for football season and am overthinking everything.

my only worries I have ever had about being vanilla is I would rather do some new things (even though it gets them on tape) in an actual game against an inferior opponent rather then breaking them out against an SEC D.  Do you have to show EVERYTHING- of course not.  But it will only help getting some of the new wrinkles out in the first couple of games to see what works, or what needs to be worked on and even can get new wrinkles off the new wrinkles if that makes sense

just lining up and letting JWill and Collins take a pounding for a couple meaningless games does us no good

EastexHawg

As far as I know my high school has only had two basketball players in its history who were taller than 6'5".  They were both 6'8", were both in the same class...I believe they were seniors when I was a sophomore...and they both went to UTEP to play for Don Haskins.

End of meaningless trivia for this morning.

EastexHawg

Quote from: razorbackfan86 on August 07, 2015, 09:32:54 am
My thoughts exactly. I can't imagine there being any reason to purposely go to New Mexico.

The mountains of northern New Mexico are beautiful.  We used to spend a few nights in Santa Fe every year.  Taos, Eagle Nest, Angel Fire, Red River...

The mountains of south central New Mexico are pretty okay, too.  It's rugged country, such as around Alamogordo.  Cloudcroft is beautiful.

Of course we have always gone there in the winter, so having snow on the ground covers up how dirty it may be underneath.

razorbackfan86

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 07, 2015, 09:52:43 am
The mountains of northern New Mexico are beautiful.  We used to spend a few nights in Santa Fe every year.  Taos, Eagle Nest, Angel Fire, Red River...

The mountains of south central New Mexico are pretty okay, too.  It's rugged country, such as around Alamogordo.  Cloudcroft is beautiful.

Of course we have always gone there in the winter, so having snow on the ground covers up how dirty it may be underneath.

I've been to the Ski Areas and it's ok. I would much rather go to Colorado though.

LRHawg

Quote from: razorbackfan86 on August 07, 2015, 09:23:54 am

Several ski resorts. Perhaps they're having a "Ski School" type fall camp? :)

razorbackfan86

Quote from: LRHawg on August 07, 2015, 10:08:27 am
Several ski resorts. Perhaps they're having a "Ski School" type fall camp? :)

With the heat we are having right now, I would welcome that.

Inhogswetrust

You guys need to get out more...........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PorkRinds

New Mexico is awesome. You people just don't know about it.

wildturkey8

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 07, 2015, 09:52:43 am

Santa Fe is beautiful, lots of great restaurants too.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 07, 2015, 03:03:02 pm
You guys need to get out more...........................

Ruidoso Downs, I hear horse racing is dirty business though.

flagstaffhog

August 07, 2015, 03:34:25 pm #16 Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 03:00:33 pm by flagstaffhog
PorkRinds is correct. NM is a good place to visit. Good mountains and beautiful desert country.  Ruidoso, with the high elevation is great this time of year unless you don't enjoy cool, dry air in August...
Go HOGS Go!

PorkSoda

Quote from: wildturkey8 on August 07, 2015, 03:28:37 pm
Santa Fe is beautiful, lots of great restaurants too.
red or green?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

azhog10

There's actually really good skiing in Northern New Mexico.......

PorkSoda

Quote from: azhog10 on August 07, 2015, 03:45:13 pm
There's actually really good skiing in Northern New Mexico.......
well define 'really good' 

I learned to snowboard in Northern New Mexico.  it holds a special place in my heart, but 80+% of the time I was riding sheet ice.  I eventually moved to Tahoe, where I went from boarding on a 24" base to a 124" base that was covered in fresh pow twice a week.

of course that was before the drought the last 5 years or so.  I think Colorado has been getting all the snow recently.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

twistitup

There is nothing fun about El Paso

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60768-Activities-El_Paso_Texas.html

When the El Paso Holocaust Museum makes the top 5.....I'm out

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

TexHog188

I eaten some of most beautiful enchiladas in Albuquerque ever.  And Northwest NM is quite beautiful.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

PorkSoda

Quote from: twistitup on August 07, 2015, 04:04:30 pm

and even funnier that a thread about UTEP spends the whole time discussing new mexico...

Iwastherein1969

this guy and maybe even a few "lights in the sky and little green men"  reside in New Mexico Rockies....
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

twistitup

Quote from: TexHog188 on August 07, 2015, 04:08:44 pm
I eaten some of most beautiful enchiladas in Albuquerque ever.  And Northwest NM is quite beautiful.

and NM Chili is NOT the same as TX Chili
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

OneTuskOverTheLine™

CBB ain't about surprise and bedazzlement. He's about the 3 step process.
1.) He tells you "I am bout to whoop yo ass."

2.) He whoops you ass.

3.) He say's "Good game."
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: twistitup on August 07, 2015, 04:04:30 pm

El Paso was a fine town right up until Juarez freaked the eff out...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 07, 2015, 04:26:13 pm
this guy and maybe even a few "lights in the sky and little green men"  reside in New Mexico Rockies....
My brother saw a UFO on his lunch break in Taos NM along with a few other people that happened to be at the park that day.  Also knew a guy who claimed that he had been abducted by aliens and they experimented on him and that the CIA was after him.

supersaint

That TE looks like a cross between Sloth from The Goonies and Bryant "Big Country" Reeves.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 07, 2015, 04:48:49 pm
My brother saw a UFO on his lunch break in Taos NM along with a few other people that happened to be at the park that day.  Also knew a guy who claimed that he had been abducted by aliens and they experimented on him and that the CIA was after him.

That must have been some really good Peyote.......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hankweb

sowmonella

What is the spread? I'm guessing we score 60 plus.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ms_hog

I believe it's at The Lodge at Sierra Blanco in Ruidoso, NM (about three hours from El Paso).  I wouldn't call it a resort, more like a hotel and convention center. Ruidoso is a very nice area in the mountains. Shaw Engineering in Ruidoso was operated by a big Hog fan, John Shaw, until he passed away last September.

kodiakisland

I haven't seen the spread, but I wouldn't put money on them if it was less than 21.  Even in a vanilla scheme, we will have the better athletes in almost every position.  Four quarters is a long time to go under manned.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

PIGZSNOUT

Ruidoso, NM is VERY MUCH a tourist type mountain resort town!!!!!!
People this way think of Gatlinburg, TN as their mountain getaway.  I'd choose Ruidoso, NM over Gatlinburg almost every time. Its absolutely beautiful, ALOT smaller and has a better hometown feel than Gatlinburg does nowadays. The drive from Ruidoso down the mountains to the west to Alamagordo is something to see, but the drive from Ruidoso east to Roswell is 10000% more beautiful.

Oklahawg

Epic fail
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

WizardofhOgZ

You need to get around more . . . there are several really nice places in New Mexico . . . ski lodges, golfing, hiking, etc.  Here is one I remember fondly:

http://innofthemountaingods.com/

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 07, 2015, 09:48:53 am
As far as I know my high school has only had two basketball players in its history who were taller than 6'5".  They were both 6'8", were both in the same class...I believe they were seniors when I was a sophomore...and they both went to UTEP to play for Don Haskins.

Just curious who they are, Eastex . . . I actually grew up in El Paso and went to school at UTEP ("Harvard on the border", as we used to jokingly call it) - got my degree there.  I was also the sports editor of the University's student newspaper for a while, and - of course - covered the basketball team as part of that gig.  As I believe  you and I are roughly of the same "vintage", there's a decent chance I knew the players as well. 

Was fortunate enough to have met and had a few conversations with Haskins.  They don't make 'em like that anymore.  Great guy.  All of the players were kind of scared of him, but he was very nice to me, for whatever reason.

Cubbie08

Taos ski Valley is very steep. The snow level can be a problem at times. They also just opened a new lift for Kachina peak. There was not enough snow last year when I was there, but can't wait to try it.

PonderinHog

My brother and sister-in-law have a new restaurant/coffee shop in Ruidoso.

It's really a nice area.  First ski resort heading out of Texas.

https://www.facebook.com/SacredGroundsCoffeeAndTeaHouse

He's a UA grad, so this is relevant.   :razorback: :razorback:

denver1

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 07, 2015, 04:48:49 pm

Did he get gang probed?

Bacons Rebellion

As a last resort, UTEP held camp in New Mexico.

She carefully inserted a row for New Mexico into her database between New Jersey and New York, so she wouldn't have to resort everything.

WorfHog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 07, 2015, 06:00:41 pm
Just curious who they are, Eastex . . . I actually grew up in El Paso and went to school at UTEP ("Harvard on the border", as we used to jokingly call it) - got my degree there.  I was also the sports editor of the University's student newspaper for a while, and - of course - covered the basketball team as part of that gig.  As I believe  you and I are roughly of the same "vintage", there's a decent chance I knew the players as well. 

Was fortunate enough to have met and had a few conversations with Haskins.  They don't make 'em like that anymore.  Great guy.  All of the players were kind of scared of him, but he was very nice to me, for whatever reason.

That's funny WoH, my dad used to jokingly refer to Arkansas as "Harvard of the Hills" when i was going to school.

EastexHawg

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 07, 2015, 06:00:41 pm

Roshern Amie and Anthony Burns. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 07, 2015, 03:36:57 pm
red or green?

Every time we go I eat my weight in green chiles.

The hottest dish I ever got in a restaurant may have been the pork cooked in red chiles I got at Gardunos in Santa Fe one year.  I was sweating and crying but I couldn't stop eating it.

PorkRinds

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 07, 2015, 10:22:55 pm
Every time we go I eat my weight in green chiles.

The hottest dish I ever got in a restaurant may have been the pork cooked in red chiles I got at Gardunos in Santa Fe one year.  I was sweating and crying but I couldn't stop eating it.

Hottest meal I ever had was at an Indian restaurant. I was on a date with my wife and couldn't even talk. I had to just take bite after bite until it was  gone. 

Andrew Fabacher

fanofthehog

I live in Albuquerque.  The food is outstanding, the views of the mountains are nice.  Having said that, living in Atkansas is much more desirable.

SamBuckhart

I guess that cool, dry air will prepare UTEP for 9-5 Fayetteville. No
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

pigture perfect

the Enchilades Verdes. The best in the world.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"