Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dominique Reed

Started by flipperpig, August 05, 2015, 10:27:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Temprees

Quote from: cshivley1 on August 06, 2015, 07:49:50 am
Based upon what? Let's see him play in a game first.
Based up what I have seen from all three.  From a pure talent perspective, Reed is superior to the other two.  He's faster, and more athletic than them.  He has great hands, and has never been one to drop passes.

BTW, I hear that he has been putting on a show this summer in workouts.  Brandon Allen recently said that he can't over throw Reed.

bennyl08

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82227&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR

I don't know, Childs was pretty beastly. 4.39 at 6'3 219. He didn't have an insane broad jump, but he did break 40" on the vertical.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Temprees

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 06, 2015, 02:26:32 pm
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82227&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR

I don't know, Childs was pretty beastly. 4.39 at 6'3 219. He didn't have an insane broad jump, but he did break 40" on the vertical.
Reed's vertical is higher.  Child's always appeared to be rather stiff and rigid as he played.  Reed movements are very smooth and fluid.  Reed is also faster than Childs.

In high school, Reed won the State triple jump, long jump and high jump. 

Over the years, I have seen a lot of receivers from the State come through.  Reed is the most talented that I have seen. Its not just his speed, which is like no one on campus, but also his route running. In my opinion, Reed will excel on the college level, and then on the professional level.   

RME

Quote from: Temprees on August 06, 2015, 02:49:51 pm
Reed's vertical is higher.  Child's always appeared to be rather stiff and rigid as he played.  Reed movements are very smooth and fluid.  Reed is also faster than Childs.

Over the years, I have seen a lot of receivers from the State come through.  Reed is the most talented that I have seen. Its not just his speed, which is like no one on campus, but also his route running. In my opinion, Reed will excel on the college level, and then on the professional level.

Childs may have appeared however you feel, but when healthy, he put up some incredible numbers. Not saying Reed won't, but it may not be prudent to view him as the next Calvin Johnson. Do I hope he is? Absolutely, why wouldn't I? But let's wait until he does it on the field. Hype is just that; it's hype.

bennyl08

Child's numbers come from  his pro day/combine, but mostly pro day. Best I can see is Reed's numbers coming from what he said or his coaches at CC said. Further, Childs put up those numbers with 40 extra pounds on his body. 40 pounds is a lot of extra weight.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Mike Irwin

Just saw a lot of Reed in the early part of practice. We'll have some video up later. He never cut loose but he looks very smooth. Didn't drop a ball. Tall and lean. Long stride. Impressive.

rhames

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 06, 2015, 03:09:59 pm
Just saw a lot of Reed in the early part of practice. We'll have some video up later. He never cut loose but he looks very smooth. Didn't drop a ball. Tall and lean. Long stride. Impressive.

Is he number 87?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

JackJohnson

Quote from: rhames on August 06, 2015, 03:10:29 pm

Is he number 87?

yes.  that vine they released on twitter was him.  man- I can't believe how skinny his arms and legs are.  tall, and fast with good hands is a awesome but he is going to require a lot of weight room work to get off press coverage by the bigger DB's in this league.  He may be better suited to come out of the slot this year which is defended with "off coverage" by a nickel back, which would be in a similar role to how AU used Duke Williams last year (but he was a man hild of course)

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: JackJohnson on August 06, 2015, 03:13:45 pm
yes.  that vine they released on twitter was him.  man- I can't believe how skinny his arms and legs are.  tall, and fast with good hands is a awesome but he is going to require a lot of weight room work to get off press coverage by the bigger DB's in this league.  He may be better suited to come out of the slot this year which is defended with "off coverage" by a nickel back, which would be in a similar role to how AU used Duke Williams last year (but he was a man hild of course)

I tend to agree. However sometimes there are guys that are so quick and athletic of the ball that corner can't really jam them affectly. Let's hope this is the case for Reed

010HogFan

Quote from: JackJohnson on August 06, 2015, 03:13:45 pm

link to the vine?

Bigdavis

Coach Herbert was just on Bo's show. He said Dominique Reed is very raw. He said despite using horrible technique and not really knowing what he's doing he still put up ridiculous numbers in the baseline testing. He said he's seen him do an 11'10" broad jump and didn't even use the correct technique.

JackJohnson

bennyl08

I bet he's over 200 come next year. 180 is pretty light for a 6'4 guy.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: Bigdavis on August 06, 2015, 04:55:43 pm
Coach Herbert was just on Bo's show. He said Dominique Reed is very raw. He said despite using horrible technique and not really knowing what he's doing he still put up ridiculous numbers in the baseline testing. He said he's seen him do an 11'10" broad jump and didn't even use the correct technique.

Weight room raw? or football skill raw? I thought they kid could run routes, at least.

Bigdavis

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on August 06, 2015, 05:09:20 pm
Weight room raw? or football skill raw? I thought they kid could run routes, at least.

Weight room raw. He said when he does the baseline tests like 40 time vertical shuttle broad jump, etc he doesn't really know what he's doing but he still puts up world class numbers.

NLRHog92

From ArkansasRazorback.com:
"Everybody wants to see Dominique Reed, the junior college transfer with wheels. Not only can Reed run, but he's also very long and super athletic. He juked a defender out of his shoes today to get up field after a reception and also seemed to adjust to the ball nicely in the air."

Bigdavis

You can hear exactly what Ben Herbert said here. After you listen to his interview I would listen to "Sports Talk Extra" it was really good today and got my hyped for the season.

http://sportstalkwithbo.com/site/index.php

JackJohnson

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on August 06, 2015, 07:35:08 pm

Yep- that 30 extra pounds he had made a world of difference.  Moss is 6-4 210.  Reed is 6-4 180

Hawgzinbowlz

Just an incorrect weight shift, by a DB, will allow BA to air it out to the max and DR to reel it in. This is something we've not had in a while.

I like this quote :
Rob Smith said he was glad he didn't have to play against him :
"Any time you get vertical stretch, especially on the perimeter, it kind of thins things out in the box," Smith said. "That can make it a nightmare."

Dominique can legitimately open up the 2nd and 3rd level.

" GO HOGS "

redeye

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 06, 2015, 02:26:32 pm

Before the injury, Childs was a lot better then many realize. 

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: redeye on August 06, 2015, 10:19:08 pm
Before the injury, Childs was a lot better then many realize.

Wow. So sad he did  get hurt.  He has some ridiculous measurables.  6-3, 220, 4.29 was his best 40, plus a 40"'vertical and 19 reps of 225... Wow

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on August 06, 2015, 08:51:43 pm
Just an incorrect weight shift, by a DB, will allow BA to air it out to the max and DR to reel it in. This is something we've not had in a while.

I like this quote :
Rob Smith said he was glad he didn't have to play against him :
"Any time you get vertical stretch, especially on the perimeter, it kind of thins things out in the box," Smith said. "That can make it a nightmare."

Dominique can legitimately open up the 2nd and 3rd level.

" GO HOGS "

I hope BA can hit him.  Deep routes and especially bombs seem to be his toughest throws.  Hopefully he's gotten better at throwing.  Man Reed is skinny.  He really needs an extra 20 lbs at least. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 07, 2015, 12:57:27 am
Wow. So sad he did  get hurt.  He has some ridiculous measurables.  6-3, 220, 4.29 was his best 40, plus a 40"'vertical and 19 reps of 225... Wow

Childs was amazing. That game at LSU he had against Patrick Patterson was one of the most impressive things I has seen. Patterson was all over over him and Greg would still make the catch

oldfart

my best standing jump was 9.5... hard to imagine two feet longer!!! wow!!

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on August 07, 2015, 08:03:49 am
I hope BA can hit him.  Deep routes and especially bombs seem to be his toughest throws.  Hopefully he's gotten better at throwing.  Man Reed is skinny.  He really needs an extra 20 lbs at least.
In BA's last game (Texas Bowl) he aired it out to Demetrius effectively. Brandon can get it done, we just haven't seen it much, and we need to see more of it when the game is on the line in the 4th/on the road.
I'll reserve judgement on Dominique's talent until after he's played in some SEC games, and, after a hit/tackle he's looking out his earhole...does he hold onto the ball?
I think Dominique will develop into a vertical weapon that will open the D and give us quick points when we need them...this is what we need.
It would also be nice if he were a dynamic punt/KO returner that can fire up the team/fans/stadium (JA vs. Tenn.).

" GO HOGS "

WorfHog

Quote from: oldfart on August 07, 2015, 04:24:13 pm
my best standing jump was 9.5... hard to imagine two feet longer!!! wow!!

Yeah, but you're an oldfart, Reed is a young athletic kid in his prime.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on August 07, 2015, 05:18:44 pm
In BA's last game (Texas Bowl) he aired it out to Demetrius effectively. Brandon can get it done, we just haven't seen it much, and we need to see more of it when the game is on the line in the 4th/on the road.
I'll reserve judgement on Dominique's talent until after he's played in some SEC games, and, after a hit/tackle he's looking out his earhole...does he hold onto the ball?
I think Dominique will develop into a vertical weapon that will open the D and give us quick points when we need them...this is what we need.
It would also be nice if he were a dynamic punt/KO returner that can fire up the team/fans/stadium (JA vs. Tenn.).

" GO HOGS "
Fourth quarter?  I want to see it early so they have to account for him all damn day.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2015, 07:17:24 pm
Fourth quarter?  I want to see it early so they have to account for him all damn day.

Yep, need to run go routes until Brandon and he connect.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 07, 2015, 07:19:12 pm
Yep, need to run go routes until Brandon and he connect.
That kind of speed will make a QB look real good on a deep pass.  Air it out and let him go get it.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2015, 07:17:24 pm
If DR is as good as advertised I think we'll go over the top early to plant it in the DBs mind. Our style of play won't have us throwing it deep often, unless we're behind and have to make up ground. CBB will protect the D and will play the style we've seen for 2 years and blend in some deeper throws, at opportune moments.
Of course we want to go deep early but we need BA to get it done in the 4th when the game is on the line. We haven't seen a lot of this and we'll likely have 2-4 SEC games where Brandon's play will decide the game.
We won't see a CBB air raid.

" GO HOGS "

azhog10

Quote from: JackJohnson on August 06, 2015, 07:55:46 pm
Yep- that 30 extra pounds he had made a world of difference.  Moss is 6-4 210.  Reed is 6-4 180
Moss weighed 210 in the NFL not college. Heaviest I could find for him was 202 in college. I wouldn't be surprised if he was truly around the 195 range in college

azhog10

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 07, 2015, 12:57:27 am
was that a laser 4.29? I remember them saying Joe ran in the 4.3 4.4 range and his laser time was awful compared to what we all thought it would be.

JeffSpicoli

I hope, like everyone else, that DR is the greatest receiver ever, but I would trade his potential for Childs in his prime. GC didn't take "no" for an answer when the ball was in the air.

JackJohnson

Quote from: azhog10 on August 07, 2015, 11:41:16 pm
Moss weighed 210 in the NFL not college. Heaviest I could find for him was 202 in college. I wouldn't be surprised if he was truly around the 195 range in college

so 15 lbs?  Looking at Reed I would say that is definitely what he needs.  In any event I am hoping he doesn't see press coverage this year in the SEC

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JackJohnson on August 08, 2015, 07:08:50 am
so 15 lbs?  Looking at Reed I would say that is definitely what he needs.  In any event I am hoping he doesn't see press coverage this year in the SEC

If he has the speed and quickness that we have heard, trying to play a "press" coverage on him might be a mistake. "IF" he is as quick as advertised he can escape that press coverage and again, "IF" he is as fast as we have heard, he can gain separation from the DB. If all of that happens a defense will then find a tall receiver with good vertical leap open behind a CB along the sideline. If that happens a few times you will probably see a Safety cheating up to try to take that opportunity away with bracketed coverage.

I know, a lot of "IF's" but Reed's value isn't just in his ability to run, jump and catch if he is able to accomplish what I described above, but in possibly drawing more dedicated coverage that will leave other receivers more open. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

Peter Porker

I think he got 5th in  the high jump.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

JackJohnson

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 08, 2015, 07:17:56 am
If he has the speed and quickness that we have heard, trying to play a "press" coverage on him might be a mistake. "IF" he is as quick as advertised he can escape that press coverage and again, "IF" he is as fast as we have heard, he can gain separation from the DB. If all of that happens a defense will then find a tall receiver with good vertical leap open behind a CB along the sideline. If that happens a few times you will probably see a Safety cheating up to try to take that opportunity away with bracketed coverage.

I know, a lot of "IF's" but Reed's value isn't just in his ability to run, jump and catch if he is able to accomplish what I described above, but in possibly drawing more dedicated coverage that will leave other receivers more open. JMO

Like the next guy I truly believe Reed has potential to be a STUD for us.  I just want people to temper their expectations until we find a way to make best use out of him.  I don't want people to expect the next Randy Moss right out of the gate bc I am just not sure he has that great of an impact year 1 with him not getting here until July.  If he does that is just an added bonus as I believe his biggest impact to the team will come when he takes over for Hatcher after he graduates

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JackJohnson on August 08, 2015, 08:04:03 am
Like the next guy I truly believe Reed has potential to be a STUD for us.  I just want people to temper their expectations until we find a way to make best use out of him.  I don't want people to expect the next Randy Moss right out of the gate bc I am just not sure he has that great of an impact year 1 with him not getting here until July.  If he does that is just an added bonus as I believe his biggest impact to the team will come when he takes over for Hatcher after he graduates

I think he has a chance to make more of an impact this year. They'll bring him along at a little slower pace because he has to learn the offense, but I expect him to be a solid contributor by mid season. Like I said, let him prove that he can escape press coverage and make some catches in between coverage levels down the sideline and demonstrate the ability to go up for balls and make catches over the middle, and that should provide enough of a contribution this season to draw more coverage away from other receivers that in the past, have been targeted in this offense. He doesn't have to be All World this year, just a consistent and solid contributor that has to be accounted for by opposing defenses.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Jarius Wright has NFL level quickness and speed, but vs those Bama corners he was easily thrown off routes and jammed. While 6" shorter, he actually weighed the same meaning he had more muscle mass for his frame. He weighs about 10 pounds more at the NFL, but played around 180 here. Maybe the longer arms will help, but the quickness alone would appear not to.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 08, 2015, 08:38:03 am
Jarius Wright has NFL level quickness and speed, but vs those Bama corners he was easily thrown off routes and jammed. While 6" shorter, he actually weighed the same meaning he had more muscle mass for his frame. He weighs about 10 pounds more at the NFL, but played around 180 here. Maybe the longer arms will help, but the quickness alone would appear not to.

Jarius Wright is certainly an exceptional receiver but it is player comparisons like this (from the past to current) that may lead to inaccurate comparisons. We've seen Wright, we haven't seen Reed yet. As I said above "IF" is the big factor here and the qualifying factor. We will see. But a receiver doesn't necessarily have to power through press coverage. Quickness off the ball at the LOS can give a receiver who possesses that trait an edge to escape that coverage, especially if they have a burst of speed after making a move on the DB to escape that coverage. That said, we haven't seen whether Reed has the quick feet to be able to do this so I will continue to use the "IF" qualifier in this discussion. But "IF" he does, then I still feel that what I stated above will apply.
Go Hogs Go!

trok24

who cares, its just nice to have that threat out there wide to "if" nothing else give us a weapon we havent had since BB has been here. If Reed is that threat, just IMAGINE what our RUN game becomes....WOW.  its scary for some teams to try and stop already.  Add Sprinkle and HH and our offense could become unstoppable(NO dumb penalties included)

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 08, 2015, 09:20:47 am
Jarius Wright is certainly an exceptional receiver but it is player comparisons like this (from the past to current) that may lead to inaccurate comparisons. We've seen Wright, we haven't seen Reed yet. As I said above "IF" is the big factor here and the qualifying factor. We will see. But a receiver doesn't necessarily have to power through press coverage. Quickness off the ball at the LOS can give a receiver who possesses that trait an edge to escape that coverage, especially if they have a burst of speed after making a move on the DB to escape that coverage. That said, we haven't seen whether Reed has the quick feet to be able to do this so I will continue to use the "IF" qualifier in this discussion. But "IF" he does, then I still feel that what I stated above will apply.

It is making a bunch of if statements about a guy, IMO, without having any precedent that leads to inaccurate expectations. I mean, if he can phase through the player like kitty hawk from the xmen then he won't have to worry about press coverage. I'm not saying can do that nor do I have any examples of players who ever have, but IF he can, that would be very beneficial. Of course, comparing him to past players that haven't been able to simply phase through another person could lead to inaccurate comparisons.

Maybe his quickness could get him past press coverage like we will likely see vs LSU, Bama, and ole miss. His speed and quickness could get him past weaker cornerbacks, but against those secondaries, I am not aware of any precedent to the notions of a player simply speeding past press coverage against NFL corners.

MuskogeeHogFan

August 08, 2015, 10:26:11 am #93 Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 11:23:54 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: bennyl08 on August 08, 2015, 10:07:05 am
It is making a bunch of if statements about a guy, IMO, without having any precedent that leads to inaccurate expectations. I mean, if he can phase through the player like kitty hawk from the xmen then he won't have to worry about press coverage. I'm not saying can do that nor do I have any examples of players who ever have, but IF he can, that would be very beneficial. Of course, comparing him to past players that haven't been able to simply phase through another person could lead to inaccurate comparisons.

Maybe his quickness could get him past press coverage like we will likely see vs LSU, Bama, and ole miss. His speed and quickness could get him past weaker cornerbacks, but against those secondaries, I am not aware of any precedent to the notions of a player simply speeding past press coverage against NFL corners.

I've seen it happen, you have too. Whether it is a modified version of the "swat and swim" or a "step back" move you can escape press coverage through quickness without taking a man on physically. Now whether he possesses this ability or not remains to be seen. As I said, we will see. I hope he has the necessary quickness to do so.

For example, a way to break out of press coverage without "rooster fighting" with a DB to escape that up close and personal DB coverage. The "modified" swat and swim technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVD7a-ILMPk
Go Hogs Go!

TheRazorback500

I was impressed when I heard he finished with a 3.5 GPA. WPS!

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?