Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best case/worst case: Arkansas

Started by MrKnowItAll, August 04, 2015, 04:47:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MrKnowItAll

SEC Network's Greg McElroy and Peter Burns go through best- and worst-case scenarios for the Razorbacks.

http://www.secsports.com/video/13372715/arkansas

MuskogeeHogFan

Just demonstrates how competitive the Western Division of the SEC has become. Pretty big predictive range, anywhere from winning the SEC to finishing 5th in the West. And, I don't think he is hedging his bets, I think he is just being honest because so many little things (either positive or negative) can effect your outcome in a big way. I'm not sure that we will win the West, but I think we can be right there at the end still being in a position where it could happen.
Go Hogs Go!

AugustaHog

That just shows how good everyone in the West is.  If we were in the East, I would say no worse than 2nd.  I feel we are better than everyone in the East outside of UGA.  On a neutral field, I think we could beat them this year.  If you stumble in the West though, there are going to be 3 teams right on your back.  It is crucial that we get off to a good start and put a couple notches in our belt for TAMU and Tenn early.  If you get those wins, we go into Bama oozing confidence, and have a chance to really state our arrival on the scene. 

Hog N Bama

Yeah. I watched that last night. Everybody, including McElroy is underestimating our defense IMO. I can understand his analysis from his position though.
It's like trying to predict a correction on the stock market. Everybody has a wide range of opinions if and when it will happen. Nobody knows well enough to bet the house on it.

AugustaHog

Quote from: Hog N Bama on August 04, 2015, 06:54:59 am
Yeah. I watched that last night. Everybody, including McElroy is underestimating our defense IMO. I can understand his analysis from his position though.
It's like trying to predict a correction on the stock market. Everybody has a wide range of opinions if and when it will happen. Nobody knows well enough to bet the house on it.
I actually think McElroy is much higher on our D than most.  He seems to really get and appreciate the DL depth we have created.  He has stated how many bodies we have at those spots.  I think the media as a whole is having trouble looking at our D seriously because we don't have that marquee player that you can hang your hat on.  Most of those guys just give our team a cursory look and move on.  Nobody who is returning has the stats that jump out at you which is what those guys are looking at.  We will have a good D this year.  Our secondary and d-line will be better than what we have had in years.  When we are in our nickel sets, I like our LB corps as well.  I think you will see Brooks be at the top of the SEC in tackles this year (McElroy actually stated unequivocally that he would lead the league) and Khalia Hackett will be a very good Mike LB by mid-season.  I'm not so sure about the other LB spot, but it won't be used as much until we get to UT and Bama, so there's plenty of time for us to figure that one out.

Dominicanhog

I've always been impressed with McElroy.. he's knowledgeable, does his homework and as long as I can remember, been complimentary of the Hogs, both as a player and commentator.

Hog N Bama

He definitely does his homework and is prepared. I like that. If you are going to give an opinion, be prepared to back it up. Would be nice if more sports media did the same.

gmarv

it looks like he,s got it right in his statements.i think were gonna be good to very good depending on how things fall.no injurys to a few unreplaceable players,the breaks don't cost us a game or two etc. etc..

ifghog

Man it is sure nice to feel this excitement again. I had it with Petrino....we may or may not win 10 this year but isn't great to know we can. I never wavered in my Hog love but it is a great feeling leading up to the season this year. WPS!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 04, 2015, 05:48:32 am
Just demonstrates how competitive the Western Division of the SEC has become. Pretty big predictive range, anywhere from winning the SEC to finishing 5th in the West. And, I don't think he is hedging his bets, I think he is just being honest because so many little things (either positive or negative) can effect your outcome in a big way. I'm not sure that we will win the West, but I think we can be right there at the end still being in a position where it could happen.

There is absolutely no way to predict what's going to happen this year.  All I know is we were playing as well as anyone late last year, we didn't lose much comparatively speaking, and it's about time the ball bounced our way.

Professional media know that Bielema is a good fit at Arkansas and that Arkansas is a great football program.  It's now just a matter of time.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

GolfnHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 04, 2015, 05:48:32 am

I don't think we win the West this year but I have no doubt the Razorbacks have a huge role in who does or doesn't. I firmly believe that those teams that play the Hogs will not be nearly as efficient and crisp the week following the Hogs game and that could cause some interesting scenarios as the season winds down and may very well bode well for the Hogs.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

RzRbAcK18

As others said, its the SECW. It demands perfection, anything less is unacceptable.

tangman

It seems to me the national media see the loss of Philon and Flowers as a cause of total collapse for our defense this year. I'm anxious to see what Coach Smith has in store for opponents. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GolfnHog on August 04, 2015, 10:45:21 am
I don't think we win the West this year but I have no doubt the Razorbacks have a huge role in who does or doesn't. I firmly believe that those teams that play the Hogs will not be nearly as efficient and crisp the week following the Hogs game and that could cause some interesting scenarios as the season winds down and may very well bode well for the Hogs.

Well here is how our SEC opponent's "before and after" scheduling works out for them.

Texas A&M
2 Weeks Before: Ball State, Nevada
Arkansas at Jerry's World
Next Week After Arkansas: Miss State

Tennessee
2 Weeks Before: Western Carolina, at Florida
Arkansas
Next Week After Arkansas: Georgia

Alabama
2 Weeks Before: La-Monroe, at Georgia
Arkansas
Next Week After Arkansas: at Texas A&M

Auburn
2 Weeks Before: Open Date, at Kentucky
At Arkansas
Next Week After Arkansas: Ole Miss

Ole Miss
2 Weeks Before: Texas A&M, at Auburn
Arkansas
Next Week After Arkansas: LSU

LSU
2 Weeks Before: Open Date, at Alabama
Arkansas
Next Week After Arkansas: at Ole Miss

Miss State
2 Weeks Before: at Missouri, Alabama
At Arkansas

Missouri
2 Weeks Before: BYU at Kansas City, Tennessee
At Arkansas
Next Week After Arkansas: End of regular season.
Go Hogs Go!

regi

10-2 to 7-5 is very real. Neither would shock me.

threeNout

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 05, 2015, 06:06:53 pm
Well here is how our SEC opponent's "before and after" scheduling works out for them.

Texas A&M
2 Weeks Before: Ball State, Nevada
Arkansas at Jerry's World
Next Week After Arkansas: Miss State

Tennessee
2 Weeks Before: Western Carolina, at Florida
Arkansas
Next Week After Arkansas: Georgia

Alabama
2 Weeks Before: La-Monroe, at Georgia
Arkansas
Next Week After Arkansas: at Texas A&M

Auburn
2 Weeks Before: Open Date, at Kentucky
At Arkansas

Ole Miss
2 Weeks Before: Texas A&M, at Auburn
Arkansas
Next Week After Arkansas: LSU

LSU
2 Weeks Before: Open Date, at Alabama
Arkansas
Next Week After Arkansas: at Ole Miss

Miss State
2 Weeks Before: at Missouri, Alabama
At Arkansas

Missouri
2 Weeks Before: BYU at Kansas City, Tennessee
At Arkansas
Next Week After Arkansas: End of regular season.

I love that we get Tenn after Florida, and Bama after a road game at Georgia.

NLRHog92

Quote from: Hog N Bama on August 04, 2015, 06:54:59 am

Yes, we lost 2 good ones upfront. But we do have depth there. And 2 stud athletes in Ledbetter and Froholdt that while it may be their first years, they've been here since the spring. I'm worried about LB and will continue to be worried about it until conference.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: threeNout on August 05, 2015, 06:22:03 pm
I love that we get Tenn after Florida, and Bama after a road game at Georgia.

I also like the fact that Auburn has to go to Kentucky (who will be laying for Auburn) before coming to us and then has Ole Miss the next week.

Also, Ole Miss has to face A&M and then go to Auburn before getting us and then has LSU following us.

Miss State also has a tough 3 weeks with Missouri and Alabama before us then Ole Miss and Egg Bowl following us.

I know that our schedule is tough, but this may work out to our advantage when it is all said and done.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogwild

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 05, 2015, 06:34:23 pm
I know that our schedule is tough, but this may work out to our advantage when it is all said and done.

What worries me the most about our schedule is-

On Oct 17, week 7 of the college football season, we will have played zero conference games in Fayetteville.

On Nov 20th, with just 7 days left  (2 games) in the regular season, we will have played one conference game (against the team picked to win the SEC) in Fayetteville.