Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench-Razorback Foundation Should Move to Help Players Find Life After

Started by Robert Shields, August 03, 2015, 11:17:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Razorback Foundation Should Move to Help Players Find Life After Football

Robert Shields

The Razorback Foundation has been exceptional at stockpiling money, coming up with buyouts to fire coaches, and helping you get enough parking passes to cover all the vehicles in your season-ticket plan, but what if it could follow the lead of some other colleges and do something that actually helped the players who put the product on the field?

I ask this after reading Sync Weekly's article this past week on former Razorback football players. The story mostly focused on the great running back trio from 1999 of Cedric Cobbs, Fred Talley, and Chrys Chukwuma.

All had aspirations to be successful NFL players, but NFL success, if the college player even gets the chance, is fleeting. Then after a short stint trying to make it in the pros, they have to figure out what they're going to do the rest of their lives.

Colleges do a poor job preparing these kids for life after football. Often these kids are led toward degrees that will never help them in the long run but will achieve the college's goal of keeping them eligible. The hard reality is that many of these players may be better suited learning a trade than pursuing a kinesiology degree.

With all the talk of paying college players, I firmly believe it would just be money squandered and many of these kids would still end up in the same place in life after football, which in some cases we've seen has meant jail.

The article mentioned that Alabama and Nebraska have non-profit organizations to help former players find their way after a life of football. Instead of paying players, it would be money better spent setting up such an organization that actually has the player's best interest in mind.

It's a great opportunity right now for the University of Arkansas to become the third school to have such an organization. It also might not be a bad recruiting tool. Many kids can't think that far ahead and lack perspective, but some of their parents will see the value of a school that is thinking ahead for them.

The Razorback Foundation is currently in the position of having to go find a new leader, and maybe it's time at this crossroads to also find a person with a broader vision to lead an organization that helps players with life after football.

-

Preseason Hype Growing Expectations

August is here and that means the beginning of preseason football. Several months ago, I wrote that the Texas A&M game was the most important one on the Razorbacks' schedule. I am revising that as each day goes by my expectations for the coming season keep growing.

I think the A&M game is a win. This means that I expect that the Razorbacks will be 4-0 heading to Knoxville to play the Volunteers on Oct. 3. The game against Tennessee will set the path to either a good or great season. How do I think that game will play out? You will have to wait until next week when I give my annual game-by-game prediction.

-

Ohio State Has Another Easy Road to Playoffs

Many pundits are picking Ohio State to repeat as the national champion in the second year of the college football playoff. Ohio State caught lightning in a bottle last year. They are a very talented team so they have the ability to do that from time to time.

Last year, the pieces just came together. It helped them immensely that they ended up with their third-string quarterback for their playoff games. He was a superior athlete, but nobody had any film on him. Alabama essentially had to play him cold. It was also an Alabama defense that was young and depleted. 

Then the quarterback caught an Oregon team that had no receivers in the championship game, and it mattered. Next season there will be film on Cardale Jones, and I expect teams will defend him better much like they did Johnny Manziel from his first to his second season playing in the SEC.

The problem, though, and most of the prognosticators know this, is that Ohio State will play nobody until they reach the championship playoff games.

Send your preseason predictions to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Robert Shields on August 03, 2015, 11:17:06 am

Robert Shields

The Razorback Foundation has been exceptional at stockpiling money, coming up with buyouts to fire coaches, and helping you get enough parking passes to cover all the vehicles in your season-ticket plan, but what if it could follow the lead of some other colleges and do something that actually helped the players who put the product on the field?

I ask this after reading Sync Weekly's article this past week on former Razorback football players. The story mostly focused on the great running back trio from 1999 of Cedric Cobbs, Fred Talley, and Chrys Chukwuma.

All had aspirations to be successful NFL players, but NFL success, if the college player even gets the chance, is fleeting. Then after a short stint trying to make it in the pros, they have to figure out what they're going to do the rest of their lives.

Colleges do a poor job preparing these kids for life after football. Often these kids are led toward degrees that will never help them in the long run but will achieve the college's goal of keeping them eligible. The hard reality is that many of these players may be better suited learning a trade than pursuing a kinesiology degree.

With all the talk of paying college players, I firmly believe it would just be money squandered and many of these kids would still end up in the same place in life after football, which in some cases we've seen has meant jail.

The article mentioned that Alabama and Nebraska have non-profit organizations to help former players find their way after a life of football. Instead of paying players, it would be money better spent setting up such an organization that actually has the player's best interest in mind.

It's a great opportunity right now for the University of Arkansas to become the third school to have such an organization. It also might not be a bad recruiting tool. Many kids can't think that far ahead and lack perspective, but some of their parents will see the value of a school that is thinking ahead for them.

The Razorback Foundation is currently in the position of having to go find a new leader, and maybe it's time at this crossroads to also find a person with a broader vision to lead an organization that helps players with life after football.

AGREE 100%.  One just has to look in the recruiting forum to see how many people assume that former Razorbacks have a ready made job with Tyson or Walmart or Lindsey as soon as their football playing career is over, and that just isn't always the case. We like to say players are Razorbacks for life, but we don't back that up with anything. Think of what a great recruiting tool this would be to be able to really tell a recruit, " hey if you come here you are a Razorback for life, and we take care of our own."

ricepig

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on August 03, 2015, 11:27:49 am

AGREE 100%.  One just has to look in the recruiting forum to see how many people assume that former Razorbacks have a ready made job with Tyson or Walmart or Lindsey as soon as their football playing career is over, and that just isn't always the case. We like to say players are Razorbacks for life, but we don't back that up with anything. Think of what a great recruiting tool this would be to be able to really tell a recruit, " hey if you come here you are a Razorback for life, and we take care of our own."

Those that properly apply themselves and make the right judgment decisions on the Hill and afterwards will almost always have an opportunity in the state. Will there be a few that fall thru the cracks, you bet, and there always will.

Doug

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: ricepig on August 03, 2015, 11:36:20 am
Those that properly apply themselves and make the right judgment decisions on the Hill and afterwards will almost always have an opportunity in the state. Will there be a few that fall thru the cracks, you bet, and there always will.

There are more than a few that fall through the cracks.  I agree that they were given a great opportunity, and should have made something of it the first time around. But doesn't it make you feel a little bad to see former Razorbacks fall like Cedric Cobbs, when we could do something to help them. I'm not saying handout's but a support system to acclimate them to the real world. Great athletes live in a bubble and don't often realize how hard regular life can be outside of the world of athletics. Yes I would have loved to play college ball and not have student loans to repay for my education, and sometimes it makes me bitter to see how people squander those opportunities, but I have blown enough opportunities and made enough mistakes in my life that I know what it is like.  I've been forgiven a lot and had second chances. I think we can and should give these guys that in exchange for what they give us.

I made so many dumb mistakes when I was college aged. Some of them I had to dig myself out of, some I got help with, but I had a great family support system, and without that I don't know where I would be. A lot of the guys who end up playing for the Razorbacks don't have that family support system, but we sell it to them like the Razorbacks are a family. If my family would have said to me a 20 or 21, "hey we fed you, and put you through public school, you're on your own now." "You should have made better decisions".  I don't know where I would be, but it wouldn't be where I am now.

I have been a Razorback fan all my life and I do like to think of it as a family to a degree.  I just hate to see us cast aside older players who may be struggling right now, like what they did never meant anything to us.

Chuck Boarris

You can only give someone so much free stuff before it becomes their responsibility to man up and do something with their life.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Robert Shields on August 03, 2015, 11:17:06 am

Robert Shields

-

Preseason Hype Growing Expectations

August is here and that means the beginning of preseason football. Several months ago, I wrote that the Texas A&M game was the most important one on the Razorbacks' schedule. I am revising that as each day goes by my expectations for the coming season keep growing.

I think the A&M game is a win. This means that I expect that the Razorbacks will be 4-0 heading to Knoxville to play the Volunteers on Oct. 3. The game against Tennessee will set the path to either a good or great season. How do I think that game will play out? You will have to wait until next week when I give my annual game-by-game prediction.

-

Ohio State Has Another Easy Road to Playoffs

Many pundits are picking Ohio State to repeat as the national champion in the second year of the college football playoff. Ohio State caught lightning in a bottle last year. They are a very talented team so they have the ability to do that from time to time.

Last year, the pieces just came together. It helped them immensely that they ended up with their third-string quarterback for their playoff games. He was a superior athlete, but nobody had any film on him. Alabama essentially had to play him cold. It was also an Alabama defense that was young and depleted. 

Then the quarterback caught an Oregon team that had no receivers in the championship game, and it mattered. Next season there will be film on Cardale Jones, and I expect teams will defend him better much like they did Johnny Manziel from his first to his second season playing in the SEC.

The problem, though, and most of the prognosticators know this, is that Ohio State will play nobody until they reach the championship playoff games.

Send your preseason predictions to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: Chuck Boarris on August 03, 2015, 11:58:23 am
You can only give someone so much free stuff before it becomes their responsibility to man up and do something with their life.

This +1

BPsTheMan

aww come on now, it's the Razorback Foundation's fault Cedric Cobbs decided to become a drug dealer man

Looks like Bobby Shields has gone 13 year old girl mentality on us - maybe that explains the Secret Bathroom Society thing

time to revive the Trash Can and shove this sh*t into it

Calling All Hogs

supersaint

This times a million.
These guys didn't fail to adjust to life after football. They failed to adjust to life in general.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

bigdaddyhawg

Another shining example of the absolute unbelievable decline in western journalism.

What a freaking idiot!!

Please!!  Would someone shut this guy up???  For the betterment of all mankind!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ricepig

Quote from: supersaint on August 03, 2015, 12:53:57 pm
This times a million.
These guys didn't fail to adjust to life after football. They failed to adjust to life in general.

Correct, they didn't take advantage of the opportunities afforded them. I've got no problem with medical care, tuition, or life counseling, after their days are over.

mizzouman

Kids need to own their own future.  They know or should know what majors get jobs and what don't.  If coaches steer these kids into degrees that are worthless, then shame on the coach.  They have some responsibility here as well.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on August 03, 2015, 01:04:44 pm
Another shining example of the absolute unbelievable decline in western journalism.

What a freaking idiot!!

Please!!  Would someone shut this guy up???  For the betterment of all mankind!!

You're a fire feeding fool for using the word journalist in a Robert Shields thread... 
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Oh! and how in the live lumping lizard livers has someone not asked "Who dafrack is Robert Shields.!?"
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on August 03, 2015, 01:42:20 pm
You're a fire feeding fool for using the word journalist in a Robert Shields thread... 

I know, I know!!  I can only go so long and I just have to speak it!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Seebs

In order to get those jobs you must pass a Miss test.  Only so much you can do for the kids that choose to get high.  No Tutors for Miss tests
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

thirrdegreetusker

From a very early age, superior athletes do not have to abide by the same rules as the rest of society. Which, when the stadium lights are gone, leaves some FUBAR specimens walking the streets.

MJ2

You have to ask the question are all athletes really "student athletes" and the answer is no.   The college game is all about money and because of this the need to win is enormous and lots of chances are taken on kids that likely will never graduate.   It will never happen, but there needs to be some sort of minor league for these kids to use their talents and earn a living and work toward a professional career  (ala baseball).

Most will say that the kids are being given an opportunity to go earn a degree and better themselves and that's true for some, but most are simply trying to get to "the league" and make some $'s and have some endorsements and live the life, so to speak.

It's complicated and getting worse as the money grows, but there does need to be some sort of commitment form the Universities to help the guys after the lights go out.

eequalsmcsquared

maybe  if they studied a bit more in school and , I dont know , man the hell up like the rest of us,  they could get back on their feet.

War Boar

I was under the impression that the degree should cover life after football.  If they chose not to complete their degree...

zane

For all the folks saying "something should be done"

Have you reached out to these players or the University letting them know that your company would hire them?
RIP LSUfan

OneTuskOverTheLine™

NuttinItUp

Razorback026

Quote from: Ark13 on August 03, 2015, 02:56:43 pm
I was under the impression that the degree should cover life after football.  If they chose not to complete their degree...

Exactly....the UofA does everything it needs to and more to enable athletes to be successful and thrive.  The study halls and tutors made available to student-athletes is far superior to what an average student is exposed to.  Plus, it is all free and highly encouraged if not mandatory for most.  A college degree is a lot more than a lot of folks are given for their talents....what they do with it, is on them. 

Theolesnort

Frank had been helping former athletes come back and finish their degrees for decades before this article. People need to catch up.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

ricepig

Quote from: Theolesnort on August 03, 2015, 04:13:12 pm
Frank had been helping former athletes come back and finish their degrees for decades before this article. People need to catch up.

Correct

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Theolesnort on August 03, 2015, 04:13:12 pm

It goes way beyond that.

Alumni that have been blessed through the UA have a long history of giving jobs and careers to UA athletes in all sports.

Truth is, you'd have to work pretty dadgum hard NOT to find a career after finishing a football career at the UA.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: zane on August 03, 2015, 03:46:30 pm

For all the folks saying "something should be done"

Have you reached out to these players or the University letting them know that your company would hire them?

Swine-as-wine

athletes are students. students go to college TO prepare for life after. end of dumbass story

HappyFan

They were given a FREE education, how is it the University's responsibility to make sure they succeed.  They have to take advantage of the FREE education to prepare themselves for life.  The problem with America today is there are too many with their hand out and too many willing to give it too them.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hog N Bama

At what point in life does one take responsibility for their own life? At the age of 50? Geeze. Excuses will get you a 0 balance at the bank and/or jail time eventually. NOBODY OWES YOU SQUAT. Its your job to take advantage of opportunities. Opportunity is given to those that earn it. Period.

BorderPatrol

Damn, RS, you have trumped ALL of your dumbass articles with this one.

bp

Hogusta National

Just another liberal move, i.e. using a negative story to drive a guilt trip.  A lot of us have gone to college and gotten a degree.  A lot of us had to pay for it ourselves.  And a lot of us have made stupid mistakes before, during, and even after college.  But... a lot of us didn't have a "FREE" ride to a college degree.

Hey, I was a big fan of all three of these guys during there career.  And I agree with some of the above that some or a lot are going to fall through the cracks.  But I'm sorry, I don't get that the Razorback Foundation has to carry these guys because THEY decided not to A) finish their degree, or B) not use whatever degree they received.  It is not their responsibility.  It was the players responsibility to use their degree to the best of their ability.

If it is kinesiology, be the best coach or trainer, etc you can be.  The Walmarts, Tyson's, etc. usually (not always) takes care of players to have done well for the team.  And I would say all three of these guys did enough to warrant that.  I don't know how it works, but they should or have asked at the time how it all works.

Just my opinion. Carry on!

michaels

There could be a better support network. Easy for you guys to pop off and chime in about how much opportunity these players have received thru a free education when the majority of you have never been a d1 fb player. Football is a full time job & education has taken a backseat in the past.... seems like bielema does well with encouraging actual student athletes though. Imo,
There should be some counsel or guidance network. Lovely how you guys just wanna ride em when the getting is good & drop em off once their playing days are over.

Ex-Trumpet

Didn't read the OP, just the title...players ARE being helped.  They are given an opportunity to go to college and better themselves.  It's always an individual's choice as to what he does with an opportunity.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

michaels

I like bielema's expectations & it seems like he reinforces ethics. There's clearly a problem when you have ex hogs turning to drugs, assaulting women, pimping underage girls, though. I understand those are individual choices and it's societal issues, but we need to be cultivating a program that produces better humans. Maybe its more life and goal planning while they are still on campus, or maybe it's having guidance available post playing days.

navyhog24

thirrdegreetusker

LivingLegends

How would what was proposed from the OP not violate Title IX?  If we're talking about job placement after football for University of Arkansas players then wouldn't this service have to be availible to all University athletes?

I wouldn't be opposed to such a service but it would need to reach beyond football players. 

navyhog24

How about they become resposible adults for once instead of always being coddled for the rest of their lives?

LivingLegends

Quote from: navyhog24 on August 04, 2015, 09:31:28 am
How about they become resposible adults for once instead of always being coddled for the rest of their lives?

Because your way isn't the only way. 

navyhog24

Quote from: LivingLegends on August 04, 2015, 09:35:08 am
Because your way isn't the only way. 

Bc coddling them is the best way to go? Yeah, you're just doing them a big favor like they have always gotten. At some point, they have to grow up and do things for themselves just like any other human being that wasn't athletically gifted.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

LivingLegends

Quote from: navyhog24 on August 04, 2015, 09:42:23 am
Bc coddling them is the best way to go? Yeah, you're just doing them a big favor like they have always gotten. At some point, they have to grow up and do things for themselves just like any other human being that wasn't athletically gifted.

I'm not saying you are wrong in every case.  In fact the athletes that respond positively after athletics might benefit from a University service like that as well.  All I'm saying is if you/University can influence the improvement of quality of life for kids that otherwise would ultimately spiral downward.....how is that bad?

The idea that its somehow wrong to help kids that need it beyond the normal/traditional parameters of society because of anecdotal evidence is closed minded.