Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kugler let go from UTEP

Started by Großer Kriegschwein, October 01, 2017, 09:34:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 02, 2017, 12:05:43 pm
I mean, he may not even have the option. Be honest, you won't be done if he starts winning no matter who the OL coach is.
of course, but, w/ this O-Line coach, he won't. Many of us identified Kugler as a guy who could help BB win here, and let's face it, he needs help. I have never seen a HC less engaged in a game on the sidelines than CBB, and maybe that's b/c we had two HCs in a row who called their own plays, but, BB needs help and he absolutely needs to have dominant lines to win. The other fatty aint getting it done, and if BB cant recognize that and be proactive, i am done. It's not b/c of Kugler , or this one incident. It's b/c if he cant see problems and fix them, he'll never win. PROBLEM-oline. Fix-Kugler. You dont even gotta fire Kurt, just hire Kugler as an analyst NOW; but he HAS fired bad o-line coaches mid-season before. So, he either fixes this or never wins here imo. And when I say "done", I mean done with having any illusions that BB can get it done here, done with hope. Done with BB, and on full on darksider mode....
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

SPAL

Quote from: BILLYBOB on October 01, 2017, 10:56:39 pm
You should take down that scripture verse about doing all things through Him, who gives you strength. Because when you say you can tell Coach Anderson is a lazy bum "just by watching him on the sideline" you're impuning a man's character without knowing him or all the facts.  And that isn't right.

Boom

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: jcbville on October 02, 2017, 12:18:12 pm
Its almost a must hire I think. It would inject badly needed energy and yes hope into things at this point.
agreed.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Wildhog on October 02, 2017, 12:14:48 pm
If we end in the 6-7 range, he'll be here another year, regardless.
If we are 5-6 going into the Missouri game, will CBB be in danger of being let go or do you think he will coach the Hogs in 2018 regardless?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Wildhog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 02, 2017, 12:56:18 pm
If we are 5-6 going into the Missouri game, will CBB be in danger of being let go or do you think he will coach the Hogs in 2018 regardless?

I think he'll be here, regardless, but 5-7 may make it interesting.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

drizzle

Quote from: Wildhog on October 02, 2017, 12:14:48 pm
If we end in the 6-7 range, he'll be here another year, regardless.

I agree with that.  This was intended more as a soft poll of fan sentiment -- would such a hire generate enough hope to fans such that we don't start 2018 with the atmosphere we had after TCU and TAMU.

Your subsequent answer was more the type of opinion that I was (only moderately successfully) trying to elicit.

Quote from: Wildhog on October 02, 2017, 12:15:48 pm
It would give me some hope, though.  Give CBB a competent OL and we can win some games.

DeltaBoy

This guy could improve our oline to the point that the pressure would come off CBB!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: BILLYBOB on October 01, 2017, 10:56:39 pm
You should take down that scripture verse about doing all things through Him, who gives you strength. Because when you say you can tell Coach Anderson is a lazy bum "just by watching him on the sideline" you're impuning a man's character without knowing him or all the facts.  And that isn't right.

You're absolutely correct. I should know better. Thanks
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Cinco de Hogo

onebadrubi

onebadrubi

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on October 02, 2017, 10:39:07 am
Why wait? Bret fired Markuson after two games before.

Supposedly there was more to this than just on the field performance.

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on October 02, 2017, 12:15:48 pm
It would give me some hope, though.  Give CBB a competent OL and we can win some games.

Amen

gchamblee

Quote from: jcbville on October 02, 2017, 12:18:12 pm
Its almost a must hire I think. It would inject badly needed energy and yes hope into things at this point.

Make no mistake about it. If CBB hires this guy, there will still be threads here blathering on about how the best CBB can do is some coach from UTEP that got fired in the middle of the season.

PorkRinds

Quote from: gchamblee on October 02, 2017, 04:25:36 pm
Make no mistake about it. If CBB hires this guy, there will still be threads here blathering on about how the best CBB can do is some coach from UTEP that got fired in the middle of the season.

No doubt about that.

Uncle Remus

Is anyone else concerned we are pushing for someone fired/released from UTEP midseason?  I know we can say he had a track record...but so did Anderson...and he came straight from the NFL...not after being ousted for coaching a team to 37 points all year?

gchamblee

Quote from: Uncle Remus on October 02, 2017, 04:28:00 pm
Is anyone else concerned we are pushing for someone fired/released from UTEP midseason?  I know we can say he had a track record...but so did Anderson...and he came straight from the NFL...not after being ousted for coaching a team to 37 points all year?

aaaaaaaaaand.....it begins

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: gchamblee on October 02, 2017, 04:25:36 pm

I don't know, I'm sensing almost a consensus on this one.

gchamblee

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 02, 2017, 04:29:04 pm
I don't know, I'm sensing almost a consensus on this one.

2 posts above you. I barely beat him to his post lol.

Wildhog

Kugler will be a hot commodity to any program looking for a new OL coach.  We need to move quickly on this.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: gchamblee on October 02, 2017, 04:31:13 pm
2 posts above you. I barely beat him to his post lol.

LOL but I did say almost and I fully expected someone not to know the difference that exist between the two's background.

PorkRinds

What we push makes zero difference.

jcbville

KA was more of an unknown. This guy is not. There's a big difference in being a HC responsible for all things and being a great O-Line coach who gets to focus on his area. Many hoped we would steal this guy from UTEP couple years ago.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Wildhog on October 02, 2017, 04:35:12 pm
Kugler will be a hot commodity to any program looking for a new OL coach.  We need to move quickly on this.
I don't think he'll get rid of Anderson. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

jkstock04

Quote from: Wildhog on October 02, 2017, 04:35:12 pm
The way you are posting makes it sound like you really believe this will happen lol.

What evidence is there that Bielema is unhappy with Kurt Anderson? If you listen to some of the "insiders" they make it sound like the O-line is doing a good/great job. Information that is passed down from the coaches to the players then the public.

I'm not seeing a move like this happen right now.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 02, 2017, 05:35:16 pm
The way you are posting makes it sound like you really believe this will happen lol.

What evidence is there that Bielema is unhappy with Kurt Anderson? If you listen to some of the "insiders" they make it sound like the O-line is doing a good/great job. Information that is passed down from the coaches to the players then the public.

I'm not seeing a move like this happen right now.

Program de Nile!

lakecityhog

October 02, 2017, 06:15:22 pm #75 Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:03:01 pm by lakecityhog
Kugler's Bio
Really very good if you look at it, he has coached for some very good college coaches and MULTIPLE years in the NFL.

Kugler began his coaching career as a graduate assistant coach for Florida high schools Tampa Bay Vo-Tech and Gaither HS while completing his degree in education at the University of South Florida (USF). After three years in Florida, he spent the next eight seasons (1993–2000) at UTEP, working his way from graduate assistant (1993), to tight ends coach in (1994), and finally to offensive line coach (1995–2000).[7]

Kugler got his first professional experience in 2001 as a tight end coach with the Detroit Lions of the NFL. He later worked his way into a role as offensive line coach.[7]

There's absolutely no question that he's the best football coach I've ever been around.
""      — Boise State head coach Chris Petersen on Kugler[8]

In 2006, Kugler moved to Boise State, assuming a role as assistant head coach and offensive line coach. The 2006 Boise State Broncos football team was the only undefeated team in college football that year, winning the WAC title and beating Oklahoma in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. They boasted the sixth-ranked rushing performance in the nation behind Kugler's offensive line led by sophomore Ryan Clady and junior Jeff Cavender, who earned All-WAC honors.

Kugler joined the Buffalo Bills in 2007 as assistant offensive line coach.[2] He was promoted to offensive line coach the following year.[9] He quickly improved the Bills' line and mentored tackle Jason Peters to two consecutive Pro Bowl selections. The Bills' offensive line became remarkably consistent and cohesive, surrendering only 26 sacks on the 2007 season and consisting of the same lineup for 15 consecutive games.[9][10]

He joined the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2010 following the dismissal of the previous offensive line coach, Larry Zierlein.[11] He had previously replaced Zierlein as assistant line coach for the Bills in 2007.[2] In his first season as a coach with the Steelers, the team made it to the Super Bowl despite season-ending injuries to both starting offensive tackles and the presence of a rookie starting center.[12]

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Porkchop#1

BoynamedWooPigSooie

UTEP's HC got the axe, or well officially axed himself.

Some of you may remember Kugler was very complimentary of our OL and the team in general before and especially after they played here 2 seasons ago. It sort've sounded like he was campaigning for a job at the time.

So this awful hire and incredulous situation with the OL has a chance to get corrected by hiring Kugler. He spent 12 years in the NFL and 3 seasons as the Steeler OL coach (Not a clipboard jockey like Anderson was w/ the Bills, but the actual position coach).  Presumably he's been recruiting Texas and the SW states hard (Arizona, Cali & Utah for sure)

A quick look at  UTEP's roster and the majority of their players are from TX & CA w/ some sprinkling of SEC states and surprisingly a couple Samoan players and a few from Washington and a good amount of JUCO from all over.

Go get this man and give him a whistle and fix this darned OL.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

NuttinItUp

I'm sure he will be a "consultant" at Bama by the end of the week.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hogsanity on October 02, 2017, 09:28:18 am
That is a subjective determination. You THINK he would be a instant upgrade. Yet he could not last through the season at UTEP.

that is not an indication of his ability as an OL coach.
This is my non-signature signature.

Boardon Hamsay

Would love to have him as OL coach or as a walk on. ;D
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

lakecityhog

Let's go thru this slowly with simple words--- He was the head coach at UTEP and was responsible for the whole team. They did not win enough games and he felt compelled(like he should)(sorry for the big word) to resign.

MOST of his career(that is most of his jobs) he has worked with the O'Line, he was an O'Lineman in college and even had a short stint as an O'Lineman in the NFL. From his coaching record it appears to MOST of us that he was a very good O'Line coach in college and in the NFL. Chris Peterson says he was one of the best coaches he has ever been around. But then what would Peterson know?

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: lakecityhog on October 02, 2017, 08:10:54 pm
Let's go thru this slowly with simple words--- He was the head coach at UTEP and was responsible for the whole team. They did not win enough games and he felt compelled(like he should)(sorry for the big word) to resign.

MOST of his career(that is most of his jobs) he has worked with the O'Line, he was an O'Lineman in college and even had a short stint as an O'Lineman in the NFL. From his coaching record it appears to MOST of us that he was a very good O'Line coach in college and in the NFL. Chris Peterson says he was one of the best coaches he has ever been around. But then what would Peterson know?

Mic drop :D
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: lakecityhog on October 02, 2017, 08:10:54 pm

Lol.

Somebody DM Bret and let him know. I'm sure he's buried in the game plan for USCe right now.

PonderinHog

East TN HAWG

Hire him as an analyst now!!!!   I remember when we played him.  He was impressive. 

FWF79

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 02, 2017, 05:19:33 pm
I don't think he'll get rid of Anderson. 
Then he will go down with the ship sooner than later.    KA has not produced and that's putting it nicely.     

PorkRinds

Quote from: FWF79 on October 03, 2017, 09:02:36 am
Then he will go down with the ship sooner than later.    KA has not produced and that's putting it nicely.     

He's done pretty well with Froholdt.  Our tackles have been terrible the though.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 03, 2017, 09:14:38 am
He's done pretty well with Froholdt.  Our tackles have been terrible the though.

Yep. Terrible. He was an interior lineman by trade.

maggiesue

I heard from an El Paso-ite that he got caught fooling around with a cheerleader which got him canned.  Also heard his wife split.  If this is true, he is damaged goods and we don't need a guy like that in Fayetteville!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: maggiesue on October 03, 2017, 10:42:53 pm
I heard from an El Paso-ite that he got caught fooling around with a cheerleader which got him canned.  Also heard his wife split.  If this is true, he is damaged goods and we don't need a guy like that in Fayetteville!

Meh. Something like that would have to become public knowledge to keep him from getting a job.

right now its a church-type rumor.

maggiesue

Will see how it plays out.  My source is very connected there and not one to spread rumors.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: maggiesue on October 03, 2017, 10:53:27 pm
Will see how it plays out.  My source is very connected there and not one to spread rumors.

[see Hogville as an example of that]

jcbville

October 04, 2017, 03:20:20 pm #94 Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 04:42:57 pm by jcbville
Quote from: maggiesue on October 03, 2017, 10:42:53 pm

Sounds very iffy. But if that's true and that's all there was to it then I'd still take him as O-Line coach. Should he be having an affair? Nope. But if its only a personal issue then I don't see the problem.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Ward on October 04, 2017, 04:41:51 pm
Just spotted Kugler at Marlo's Taco Hut

Maybe he's going by Powerhouse for a kilowatt later. Someone should get over to Powerhouse and report on things until he arrives.