Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Defense wins championships.

Started by TebowHater, January 02, 2018, 11:24:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawganatic

Quote from: Bob Slydell on January 03, 2018, 10:00:05 am
Never said that defense only won that game.  Defense kept them in long enough to win.  Care to explain how only giving up 7 points in the second half to the best O in CFB isn't relevant to the outcome?

When did I say it wasn't relevant?  Nice attempt at a straw man argument there...

The point of the thread is that "defense wins championships."  Thirty years ago that was probably correct. Don't think that is necessarily true anymore.  You have to have great defense and an offense that can put up points.

twistitup

Conditioning wins championships?

Defense is super important...but top teams don't fade in the 4th or in overtime....we could not finish, until we can - we can't hang.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

GuvHog

Quote from: Bob Slydell on January 03, 2018, 07:47:39 am
They gave up 7 points to the Heisman winner and the best offense in the country in the entire second half.  They don't erase a 17 point deficit without their defense shutting OU down.  Not sure why you think scores inflated by OT are an indicator that defense didn't win that game.

Exactly. In the second half and overtime combined, Oklahoma was outscored by Georgia 33-10.

What happened to Oklahoma on Monday is an example of what happens when an OC builds his entire offense around one player and puts the game on that player's shoulders. If that player doesn't get it done (and Mayfield didn't in the second half) that team is going to lose.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: twistitup on January 03, 2018, 10:22:31 am
Conditioning wins championships?

Defense is super important...but top teams don't fade in the 4th or in overtime....we could not finish, until we can - we can't hang.

Is that conditioning, or depth?

Either way, that's a lot of our problem summed up. We start out on close to equal footing but by the second half we don't have the horses.

twistitup

Quote from: GuvHog on January 03, 2018, 10:23:10 am
Exactly. In the second half and overtime combined, Oklahoma was outscored by Georgia 33-10.

What happened to Oklahoma on Monday is an example of what happens when an OC builds his entire offense around one player and puts the game on that player's shoulders. If that player doesn't get it done (and Mayfield didn't in the second half) that team is going to lose.

OU went away from Mayfield at the end of the game- that's one reason he didn't get it done. He's the Heisman Trophy winner, put the damn rock in his hands and let him lose it if he's going to - but don't get away from what got you there
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

bob slydell

Quote from: hawganatic on January 03, 2018, 10:22:14 am
When did I say it wasn't relevant?  Nice attempt at a straw man argument there...

The point of the thread is that "defense wins championships."  Thirty years ago that was probably correct. Don't think that is necessarily true anymore.  You have to have great defense and an offense that can put up points.

No, the whole point of the thread is that teams that play superior D tend to have better outcomes and that both of the teams vying for the title have proven that out.  You haven't provided one point to contradict that except for wailing on the strawman that you built.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

hawganatic

Quote from: Bob Slydell on January 03, 2018, 10:44:50 am
No, the whole point of the thread is that teams that play superior D tend to have better outcomes and that both of the teams vying for the title have proven that out.  You haven't provided one point to contradict that except for wailing on the strawman that you built.

My point to contradict that is GA still had to score 50+ points to win the game.  It takes a pretty obtuse and hard head to understand they needed both offense and defense to win the game.

And what strawman have I built?  I don't think that term means what you think it means.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawganatic on January 03, 2018, 10:56:39 am
My point to contradict that is GA still had to score 50+ points to win the game.  It takes a pretty obtuse and hard head to understand they needed both offense and defense to win the game.

And what strawman have I built?  I don't think that term means what you think it means.

No one is saying that GA did not need offense to win, or that anyone can win without offense. But it is a whole lot easier to win when you do not ROUTINELY need 50 to win.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bob slydell

Quote from: hawganatic on January 03, 2018, 10:56:39 am

You really don't see how mischaracterizing the point that defense is important to winning games (and that the teams remaining just happen to have stout defenses) as teams don't even need to play offense to win is building a strawman?
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 11:06:23 am
No one is saying that GA did not need offense to win, or that anyone can win without offense. But it is a whole lot easier to win when you do not ROUTINELY need 50 to win.

That's even more crucial in the SEC where teams aren't normally going to score 50 points in a regulation game. You have to be able to win that 10-3 game when their defense stops your offense.

hawganatic

Quote from: Bob Slydell on January 03, 2018, 11:31:13 am
You really don't see how mischaracterizing the point that defense is important to winning games (and that the teams remaining just happen to have stout defenses) as teams don't even need to play offense to win is building a strawman?

Show me where I said that defense isn't important.  You taking what I said and characterizing it as claiming defense isn't important is an example of a strawman.

My point is offense and defense are both equally important in today's game.  If a team wins 50-47, or 10-7, the margin of victory and outcome are the same.  The adage that "defense wins championships" is probably outdated by 10-15 years.

There's not one singular philosophy (like field a stout defense) that is going to win a championship anymore.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on January 03, 2018, 08:57:40 am

Lots of QBs would be good if they had 7 seconds to throw.

Mayfield is a system QB playing behind a good line that acts like a 5th grader.......

5th is being generous. He acts more like a two year old.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: hawganatic on January 03, 2018, 11:39:03 am
Show me where I said that defense isn't important.  You taking what I said and characterizing it as claiming defense isn't important is an example of a strawman.

My point is offense and defense are both equally important in today's game.  If a team wins 50-47, or 10-7, the margin of victory and outcome are the same.  The adage that "defense wins championships" is probably outdated by 10-15 years.

There's not one singular philosophy (like field a stout defense) that is going to win a championship anymore.

It seems you are missing the entire point .

The point of "defense wins championships" isnt'a that defense is more important than offense. The point is that there are MANY teams that have offenses as good as Bama's or Georgia's. Many , many teams in fact.

However, they don't have the same level of defense.

"defense wins championships" isn't about any singular game, it's about the overall team.

Look at this way. You could switch Alabama's offense, or Georgia's, with probably 10 other teams play the entire season over and see very similar results to what we saw this season. If , however, you swapped their defenses, you would see VASTLY different results.

So, "defense wins championships" reflects that a top notch defense is much more difficult to get than a top notch offense, and that will always remain true, simply because there is only so many great athletes to go around and a majority of those prefer to play offense (though I have no idea why, when I played I loved hitting people way more than catching passes)

IronHog

Quote from: hawganatic on January 03, 2018, 11:39:03 am

Georgia's defense won that game.

Give up a defensive score in a big game and you should lose.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hawganatic

Quote from: IronHog on January 03, 2018, 11:47:21 am

Georgia's defense won that game.

Give up a defensive score in a big game and you should lose.

So Georgia's offense, that had to score 54 points to win, had nothing to do with it?

What is so hard to understand the concept of a complete effort, without having to tip the scale in one direction or another?

IronHog

Quote from: hawganatic on January 03, 2018, 12:46:17 pm
So Georgia's offense, that had to score 54 points to win, had nothing to do with it?

What is so hard to understand the concept of a complete effort, without having to tip the scale in one direction or another?

OU is a big 12 team and plays little defense

GuvHog

Quote from: twistitup on January 03, 2018, 10:26:41 am
OU went away from Mayfield at the end of the game- that's one reason he didn't get it done. He's the Heisman Trophy winner, put the damn rock in his hands and let him lose it if he's going to - but don't get away from what got you there

He had many chances to get it done in the second half and could only manage 7 points (3 points in overtime).
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on January 03, 2018, 12:47:41 pm

OU is a big 12 team and plays little defense

and their season is over because of it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 01:10:47 pm
and their season is over because of it.

Right but Ga "had to score 54 points"

That's what OU brings to the table.  Big offense and no defense.

Light em up and pop those pads enough to win.

Paul

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 02, 2018, 06:33:55 pm
Defense does win championships. So does top 5 recruiting classes every year with those great defensive players. 

We would all love to have 4 and 5 star players backing up 4 and 5 star players, but that isn't happening.

It's why majority of Arkansas fans understand we will probably never win a NC in football.
Yep

hawginbigd1

Quote from: twistitup on January 03, 2018, 10:26:41 am
If you watched OU this season or last, the reason they win is offensive balance, Iowa ST took away the run as did Georgia in the second half, A one-dimension Mayfield won't beat a good team. He rips you up when you don't know what they are going to do.

hawganatic

Quote from: IronHog on January 03, 2018, 01:18:38 pm

Right but Ga "had to score 54 points"

So you're saying that GA didn't really have to score 54 points to win?

IronHog

Quote from: hawganatic on January 03, 2018, 03:56:49 pm
So you're saying that GA didn't really have to score 54 points to win?

Yes but vs OU that's expected instead of an amazing offensive performance

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 12:48:45 pm
Really? Going to play the illness card? MAybe if OU had a defense capable of stopping anyone this thread would not exist. GA ran through OU's defense like it wasnt even there.

Maybe if Oklahoma's head coach had kicked the ball deep with six seconds to go in the first half instead of getting cute and giving three points to Georgia in the process this thread would not exist.  That botched squib kick and the field goal it gave Georgia provided not only the turning point in terms of momentum, it was literally the difference in the game.

hogsanity

for the 10th out of the last 13 championship games both teams are in the top 10 of defensive efficiency, and this year both are in the top 10 in total defense. But yea, getting a spread offense is going to fix everything.

GA has run over 800 plays this year, over 600 are runs.

hawganatic

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2018, 11:14:24 am
for the 10th out of the last 13 championship games both teams are in the top 10 of defensive efficiency, and this year both are in the top 10 in total defense. But yea, getting a spread offense is going to fix everything.

GA has run over 800 plays this year, over 600 are runs.

We had a power running coach for the last five years.  How did that turn out for us?

hogsanity

Quote from: hawganatic on January 08, 2018, 11:17:59 am
We had a power running coach for the last five years.  How did that turn out for us?

Not good, but does not mean you cant win that way. Lots of spread coaches had poor years too.

At the end of the day it still comes back to players, and having better players than your opponent.

Jimbob111

Defense wins championships, huh?  Hmmm, well it's a good thing that both Oklahoma and Georgia's defenses were so good that they held each other to under 14 points, right?

Georgia won that game because of offense. As good as their defense was, Georgia won because they scored more points than Oklahoma. Without that squib kick, Oklahoma goes into the half up 17. Instead, they went into the half up 14. Well, guess what? Georgia scored 14 and more in the second half. If Oklahoma's defense was any good, they hold onto that 14 point lead throughout the game and win it going away.

Instead, Georgia's offense came to play and Oklahoma's offense couldn't get out of their own way. If Oklahoma's offense played in the second half like they did in the first, they win by double digits.

I'll give Georgia credit, their defense played lights out in the second half meanwhile their offense outplayed Oklahoma's defense.

But to say "defense wins championships" when the final score in that game was 54-48 is disingenuous at best.  Georgia's offense won that game by outscoring the Sooners.

In the Alabama-Clemson game, defense did stop Clemson's offense however they did score 24 points against what was rated a top defense going into the game.

If you can't score points against a top defense, you don't win championships.  Offense usually scores the points and whoever scores the most wins. You can't guarantee that you can stop offense on every single play therefore, you must score to win.

A single long bomb will win the game no matter how good a defense plays. You HAVE to have offense to win the game. Period. No points-no win.

However, you also have to have a competent defense because if you can't stop anyone, you can't outscore them. But to say you have to have a top 10 defense to win a championship is a ignoring the fact that the most points wins the game.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: hawganatic on January 08, 2018, 11:17:59 am

Nonsense, we didn't have a power runn9ing coach. A power running coach produces a running game that can consistently get 1 yard on 3rd and 1s. How many times did our offense fail to do that under Bielema?

hogsanity

Quote from: Jimbob111 on January 08, 2018, 11:56:10 am
Defense wins championships, huh?  Hmmm, well it's a good thing that both Oklahoma and Georgia's defenses were so good that they held each other to under 14 points, right?

Georgia won that game because of offense. As good as their defense was, Georgia won because they scored more points than Oklahoma. Without that squib kick, Oklahoma goes into the half up 17. Instead, they went into the half up 14. Well, guess what? Georgia scored 14 and more in the second half. If Oklahoma's defense was any good, they hold onto that 14 point lead throughout the game and win it going away.

Instead, Georgia's offense came to play and Oklahoma's offense couldn't get out of their own way. If Oklahoma's offense played in the second half like they did in the first, they win by double digits.

I'll give Georgia credit, their defense played lights out in the second half meanwhile their offense outplayed Oklahoma's defense.

But to say "defense wins championships" when the final score in that game was 54-48 is disingenuous at best.  Georgia's offense won that game by outscoring the Sooners.

In the Alabama-Clemson game, defense did stop Clemson's offense however they did score 24 points against what was rated a top defense going into the game.

If you can't score points against a top defense, you don't win championships.  Offense usually scores the points and whoever scores the most wins. You can't guarantee that you can stop offense on every single play therefore, you must score to win.

A single long bomb will win the game no matter how good a defense plays. You HAVE to have offense to win the game. Period. No points-no win.

However, you also have to have a competent defense because if you can't stop anyone, you can't outscore them. But to say you have to have a top 10 defense to win a championship is a ignoring the fact that the most points wins the game.

Yep, lets pull out one game to refute a trend of the last 13 seasons. 13 nc games and in 10 of those BOTH teams have been top 10 in defensive efficiency and often top 10 in overall defense. But yea, I guess that really means nothing because one team won one shootout.

jm

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2018, 12:47:42 pm
Yep, lets pull out one game to refute a trend of the last 13 seasons. 13 nc games and in 10 of those BOTH teams have been top 10 in defensive efficiency and often top 10 in overall defense. But yea, I guess that really means nothing because one team won one shootout.

Give it up man. All we need is a spread offense and that will overcome crappy defense. CBB just wasn't smart enough to go to the spread.

Gonzo

I always get a huge chuckle out of arguments like this, especially this particular topic. I would think it's pretty self-evident, but to win championships a team is goin got have to be pretty damn good on both sides of the ball, because they're going to run into some other teams that are pretty damn good on both sides of the ball along the way. No matter how it's achieved, the team that has the most points at the end of the game is still usually the winner.

Go Hogs!

GoHogs1091

I heard Malzahn say on an ESPN show today that Alabama's defense was the best they (Auburn) played this season.

Let's see;

Auburn in 2017 against Clemson's defense:   Auburn got 117 total offensive yards    Auburn got 79 total passing yards   Auburn got 38 total rushing yards   Auburn's QB got sacked 11 times   Auburn scored 6 points

Auburn in 2017 against Alabama's defense:   Auburn got 408 total offensive yards   Auburn got 240 total passing yards   Auburn got 168 total rushing yards   Auburn's QB got sacked 1 time   Auburn scored 26 points

The facts doesn't back-up what Malzahn stated today on that ESPN show.

TebowHater

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 03, 2018, 11:47:02 am
The point of "defense wins championships" isnt'a that defense is more important than offense. The point is that there are MANY teams that have offenses as good as Bama's or Georgia's. Many , many teams in fact.

However, they don't have the same level of defense.

"defense wins championships" isn't about any singular game, it's about the overall team.

Look at this way. You could switch Alabama's offense, or Georgia's, with probably 10 other teams play the entire season over and see very similar results to what we saw this season. If , however, you swapped their defenses, you would see VASTLY different results.

So, "defense wins championships" reflects that a top notch defense is much more difficult to get than a top notch offense, and that will always remain true, simply because there is only so many great athletes to go around and a majority of those prefer to play offense (though I have no idea why, when I played I loved hitting people way more than catching passes)

Said far better than I did myself, great post.

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2018, 12:47:42 pm

Great post on the 10/13 data hogsanity. We reallyyyyyy don't like facts on this board when they don't fit the narrative. Then we just claim that the poster posting the facts doesn't understand the point. It's useless.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: jm on January 08, 2018, 12:55:27 pm
Give it up man. All we need is a spread offense and that will overcome crappy defense. CBB just wasn't smart enough to go to the spread.

When we can recruit top 10 talent on a yearly basis then we can talk about playing for national championships.  Arkansas isn't doing that and most likely never will.  I doubt I will ever see a NC in my lifetime(currently 37), but I would like to see our team be more competitive and see a coach stay here awhile and average over 8 wins a season.   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

bphi11ips

Just came in after listening to ESPN on the way home. Eight of the last ten NC's were in Top 10 in scoring defense.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

TebowHater

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 08, 2018, 05:29:56 pm
Just came in after listening to ESPN on the way home. Eight of the last ten NC's were in Top 10 in scoring defense.

Fake news!

PorkSoda

I'd be interested to see who the 2 that weren't were.  I mean, I would assume that if you are national champion, you would be good at offense and defense.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 12:48:45 pm
Really? Going to play the illness card? MAybe if OU had a defense capable of stopping anyone this thread would not exist. GA ran through OU's defense like it wasnt even there.

No, just changed it a little. Used to be you needed a D to make 21 pts hold up, now you need one to make 35 hold up.

You must have been in the BR when OU had the ball.. UGA had about 8 more yards offense in that game than OU and they had the same amount of points at the end of regulation.. I don't like OU but they ran up and down the field just about as much as UGA did.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

SooieGeneris

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 03, 2018, 04:18:40 pm
Maybe if Oklahoma's head coach had kicked the ball deep with six seconds to go in the first half instead of getting cute and giving three points to Georgia in the process this thread would not exist.  That botched squib kick and the field goal it gave Georgia provided not only the turning point in terms of momentum, it was literally the difference in the game.

Agreed. I couldn't believe Riley did that. It took a great play by the UGA player to corral that squib, but why take the chance in that situation? That was literally the only way short of a long return for a TD that UGA could have scored. Kicking it OB would have been better than what they did.

bphi11ips

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 08, 2018, 06:03:51 pm
I'd be interested to see who the 2 that weren't were.  I mean, I would assume that if you are national champion, you would be good at offense and defense.

I would be surprised if 8 out of 10 were Top 10 in scoring offense. Alabama is 12 and Georgia is 17 this year. Alabama is 1 in scoring defense and Georgia is 5.

Clemson was 2 last year in scoring defense and 14 in scoring offense. Alabama was 1 and 16, respectively.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

PorkSoda

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 08, 2018, 06:16:39 pm
I would be surprised if 8 out of 10 were Top 10 in scoring offense. Alabama is 12 and Georgia is 17 this year. Alabama is 1 in scoring defense and Georgia is 5.

Clemson was 2 last year in scoring defense and 14 in scoring offense. Alabama was 1 and 16, respectively.
prolly  has to do with strength of schedule.

Bama, clemson, etc would be obscene offensive numbers if they had UCF's schedule.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

There's a lot to be said for that bp. Oklahoma had a very dynamic offensive unit in terms of yards and scoring points but when you also have a defense that allows an average of 20.1 points in terms of TD Pt's p/gm (counting 6 points only), you are going to have some hiccups along the way. Alabama with the best defense in the country was out-schemed by Gus or they wouldn't have one negative in the W-L column, but it is their defense that got them where they are, along with a pretty good though not top rated offense. Same with Georgia, #31 offense but #6 total defense.
Go Hogs Go!

SooieGeneris

I generally agree with this premise. An injury on offense to the QB or a guy like Saquon Barkley can wreak havoc more than on defense. Offense runs hot and cold, one penalty can blow up a drive, but commit two or more and you can usually forget scoring.

The difference in the game now as opposed to the past is that a team can play good defense and give up 30 or more points vs an uptempo explosive offense. UGA gave up 31 to OU in one half.

They didn't play well in that half on defense, but that UGA defense was salty on the season. Rules changes and uptempo offenses, 7 on 7 leagues, all that makes defense much more challenging than ever before.

A bad or mediocre Bert-style defense would have given up 45-50 to OU in the first half. There are exceptions in some years. Auburn won a NC in 2010 with a very mediocre defense and got to the NCG in 2013 with the same, but Oregon and FSU, the two opponents in those games were mediocre on D also.

The big thing, bigger than yards in today's football is turnover differential. The Raiders   went 12-4 a year ago despite a mediocre D. How did they do that? They were tied for the NFL lead in turnover margin at +16.

This year, they were 6-10 with pretty much the same defense. The offense slid, but worse, the turnover margin was -14. It is a big advantage to have a Top 10 defense of course, but you can be less than dominant and win a lot of games by taking the ball away more than you give it away.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 08, 2018, 06:09:12 pm
You must have been in the BR when OU had the ball.. UGA had about 8 more yards offense in that game than OU and they had the same amount of points at the end of regulation.. I don't like OU but they ran up and down the field just about as much as UGA did.

Until the second half.  Would have been a lot less scoring for Oklahoma if Georgia stuck to the ground more in the first half.  They had almost 200 yards rushing in the first half.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

elksnort

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 08, 2018, 06:38:59 pm
I generally agree with this premise. An injury on offense to the QB or a guy like Saquon Barkley can wreak havoc more than on defense. Offense runs hot and cold, one penalty can blow up a drive, but commit two or more and you can usually forget scoring.

The difference in the game now as opposed to the past is that a team can play good defense and give up 30 or more points vs an uptempo explosive offense. UGA gave up 31 to OU in one half.

They didn't play well in that half on defense, but that UGA defense was salty on the season. Rules changes and uptempo offenses, 7 on 7 leagues, all that makes defense much more challenging than ever before.

A bad or mediocre Bert-style defense would have given up 45-50 to OU in the first half. There are exceptions in some years. Auburn won a NC in 2010 with a very mediocre defense and got to the NCG in 2013 with the same, but Oregon and FSU, the two opponents in those games were mediocre on D also.

The big thing, bigger than yards in today's football is turnover differential. The Raiders   went 12-4 a year ago despite a mediocre D. How did they do that? They were tied for the NFL lead in turnover margin at +16.

This year, they were 6-10 with pretty much the same defense. The offense slid, but worse, the turnover margin was -14. It is a big advantage to have a Top 10 defense of course, but you can be less than dominant and win a lot of games by taking the ball away more than you give it away.

I agree that T/O Ratio plays a huge role as well. But teams who play sound defense and have an offense that is good enough to be considered for championship play typically have a good T/O Ratio. At least some of that goes hand in hand. Another factor (though an obscure stat) is average TD pts (calculated at 6 pts each because XP's as we all know, aren't necessarily automatic all the time) allowed per drive. Alabama sits at .59 p/drive. Georgia at .68. Wisconsin's defense was also at .67 p/drive, which is pretty good. But the real difference comes between offensive TD pts scored less defensive TD points allowed. Alabama's net is 21.2 p/game. Georgia at 19.3. Wisconsin comes in at 15 behind Ohio State at 18.9 and Clemson at 15.4 among P-5 schools.
Go Hogs Go!

TNRazorbacker

Yep, but D takes horses that we aren't going to be able to recruit. Not consistently. We are better off focusing on the things we can recruit for and do well and thats offense.   

lakecityhog

QUARTERBACKS win championships, PERIOD!!! Once in a blue moon a team can win with defense alone, but MOST of the time the team with the best QB wins!

Right now Georgia has the BEST  QB in college football and they are going to be TOUGH for the next 2 years!

Tusks

I'd say Saban wishes he had an offense right now.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit