Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Numbers as of 1/18

Started by lakecityhog, January 18, 2018, 02:50:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

Looking at Okla's numbers we have 76 scholarship players right now, plus we signed 9 during the early signing period.
That puts us dead on the 85 allowed.
We have ALL heard the rumors of 3 kids leaving for sure and the possibility of 1 more.

That give Morris and company 4 slots, do they add a couple chancing that others might move on?
Do they try to play the grayshirt game?

rolyat_2008

How many we sign going forward whether it's six to eight that amount will have to leave the 85 roster before summer.

After spring ball numbers work themselves out.

ricepig

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 18, 2018, 02:50:03 pm
Looking at Okla's numbers we have 76 scholarship players right now, plus we signed 9 during the early signing period.
We have ALL heard the rumors of 3 kids leaving for sure and the possibility of 1 more.

That give Morris and company 4 slots, do they add a couple chancing that others might move on?

Pretty sure we only signed 8, Noah Gatlin didn't sign early, but will in February.

rljjr

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 18, 2018, 02:50:03 pm

I haven't heard those rumors.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Can guys still receive free tuition and not participate on the team? In other words, can they finish if they quit or are asked to quit?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 18, 2018, 04:23:21 pm
Can guys still receive free tuition and not participate on the team? In other words, can they finish if they quit or are asked to quit?
As far as I know medical retirement is the only way to do that.

hog of steele

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 18, 2018, 04:54:45 pm
As far as I know medical retirement is the only way to do that.

That would be a shame. If we kick a guy, we should have to continue to pay him until he no longer meets the requirements.

ricepig

Quote from: hog of steele on January 18, 2018, 04:56:48 pm
That would be a shame. If we kick a guy, we should have to continue to pay him until he no longer meets the requirements.

Well, since the scholarship is now guaranteed for 4 years, they're covered. You can only take a scholarship for academics, or violating athletic department policies.

lakecityhog

How many transfer would you expect to see this year in the SEC alone? How many of them do you think will be "voluntary"? vs kids being nicely shown the door?

You are probably correct at 8, which gives us maybe 4 open slots.

Oklahawg

UA typically loses 4-5 a year. They give up football, transfer out to try and play (usually down a class), or have "issues."

What makes this year different: UA is doing a MUCH better job of graduating players. Many are graduating in 3-1/2 years. Thus, we may start producing "grad transfers," players who have a degree and can transfer to a D1 school without having to sit out.

Given that we have a new coach, I would anticipate a high number of 2018 recruits to see the field. Higher than if CBB were returning for 2018.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

31to6

Quote from: ricepig on January 18, 2018, 05:22:26 pm
Well, since the scholarship is now guaranteed for 4 years, they're covered. You can only take a scholarship for academics, or violating athletic department policies.
So technically this protection does not extend to the class of '14 because they signed their LOI before the SEC mandated 4yr guarantees. Also, a RS-SR has already benefited from 4 years of schooling so that will always be an option going forward even under the new rules.

Not saying that CCM would play that card as it would be kinda heartless, but technically it is an option. And as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, many of our SRs and RS-SRs have already graduated and therefore have other options, not the least of which is moving on with life if they can't get on the field.

ricepig

Quote from: 31to6 on January 18, 2018, 07:04:40 pm
So technically this protection does not extend to the class of '14 because they signed their LOI before the SEC mandated 4yr guarantees. Also, a RS-SR has already benefited from 4 years of schooling so that will always be an option going forward even under the new rules.

Not saying that CCM would play that card as it would be kinda heartless, but technically it is an option. And as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, many of our SRs and RS-SRs have already graduated and therefore have other options, not the least of which is moving on with life if they can't get on the field.

I believe everyone was grandfathered in, but I'm not 100% sure. And the SEC didn't mandate 4 year guarantees, in fact the conference and I believe Big 12 voted against it, but the P5 conferences voted to implement them.

31to6

Quote from: ricepig on January 18, 2018, 07:06:43 pm
I believe everyone was grandfathered in, but I'm not 100% sure. And the SEC didn't mandate 4 year guarantees, in fact the conference and I believe Big 12 voted against it, but the P5 conferences voted to implement them.
Well, whether the SEC mandated or they were against it but the majority of the P5 voted it in is moot since it applies to SEC scholarships.

I was able to confirm that they only mandated 4 years and that it in only required to apply athletes who signed their LOI after it was passed in Jan 2015 (ie: those who signed on NSD for the class of '15).

What I was not able to confirm is if Arkansas guarantees the scholarship for all years of elegibility or jsut 4 years (they are allowed under NCAA to do this and, for example, Oregon does so).

I also have no idea if the UA retroactively applied the guarantee to the entire roster when it was passed. They could have, but again were not required to.

Another loophole is that the mandated irrevokability is not required to apply for athletes who did not recieve a full scholarship when they enrolled and were on the official roster for their first year of eligibility. Examples would be blue shirts, grey shirts and preferred walk-ons who later earn a scholarship. Again, the UA could choose to make those scholarships 4 years (or more) and unrevokable, but they are not required to do so by either the NCAA or the SEC.

ricepig

Quote from: 31to6 on January 18, 2018, 07:23:53 pm
Well, whether the SEC mandated or they were against it but the majority of the P5 voted it in is moot since it applies to SEC scholarships.

I was able to confirm that they only mandated 4 years and that it in only required to apply athletes who signed their LOI after it was passed in Jan 2015 (ie: those who signed on NSD for the class of '15).

What I was not able to confirm is if Arkansas guarantees the scholarship for all years of elegibility or jsut 4 years (they are allowed under NCAA to do this and, for example, Oregon does so).

I also have no idea if the UA retroactively applied the guarantee to the entire roster when it was passed. They could have, but again were not required to.

Another loophole is that the mandated irrevokability is not required to apply for athletes who did not recieve a full scholarship when they enrolled and were on the official roster for their first year of eligibility. Examples would be blue shirts, grey shirts and preferred walk-ons who later earn a scholarship. Again, the UA could choose to make those scholarships 4 years (or more) and unrevokable, but they are not required to do so by either the NCAA or the SEC.

Correct, I doubt Morris is going to kick anyone out on the street, especially since he can't for athletic ability, or lack thereof. The numbers will work themselves out, the question is, how many does he over sign???

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: 31to6 on January 18, 2018, 07:04:40 pm

Yeah, I would have no problem cutting someone who will never contribute as long as they at minimum got to stay at school and get their degree, while still utilizing the nutrition, work out facilities and learning centers...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

31to6

Quote from: ricepig on January 18, 2018, 07:56:19 pm
Correct, I doubt Morris is going to kick anyone out on the street, especially since he can't for athletic ability, or lack thereof. The numbers will work themselves out, the question is, how many does he over sign???
Agreed.

He has recently said something like "as many as 8". But that was a couple weeks ago iirc.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 18, 2018, 07:56:19 pm

if these kids start jumping on board.... 8-9-?.... First year coach inheriting a losing team, I say live by the Nolan rule..

Hogindasticks

I would suspect that CM is preparing for fallout of several players.....I am willing to be that their workouts may be slightly different than they used to be.....lol  I don't think CBB recruits like to run much....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 19, 2018, 06:57:48 pm
I would suspect that CM is preparing for fallout of several players.....I am willing to be that their workouts may be slightly different than they used to be.....lol  I don't think CBB recruits like to run much....

Players do what is required of them. Most of our offensive players have played in offenses that required a lot better physical conditioning from the standpoint of "pace" of the offense, so this will be nothing new for them, just a "renewal" that they are already familiar with.

On defense, how much will change? Dropping weight, being more athletic, more stunts and games up front, nothing really changes for the back end.
Go Hogs Go!

OLEJACKETFAN

I don't see CM pulling anyones Scholarship. He very well may tell a couple they don't have a future, but they will decide to leave so they can get some playing time elsewhere!

ricepig

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on January 19, 2018, 07:21:14 pm
I don't see CM pulling anyones Scholarship. He very well may tell a couple they don't have a future, but they will decide to leave so they can get some playing time elsewhere!

Seeing he can't pull scholarships, they have to be in academic trouble, or violate athletic department policies to lose one. I suspect some will transfer out after spring, they always do.

jgphillips3

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on January 19, 2018, 07:21:14 pm

I agree.  I don't think that's his style.  However, on a team built for Bielema ball, there have to be a few that are just square pegs in Hammerdown's round holes who will find a chance to play elsewhere.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 19, 2018, 07:18:06 pm
Players do what is required of them. Most of our offensive players have played in offenses that required a lot better physical conditioning from the standpoint of "pace" of the offense, so this will be nothing new for them, just a "renewal" that they are already familiar with.

On defense, how much will change? Dropping weight, being more athletic, more stunts and games up front, nothing really changes for the back end.

Tyree Wilson!   GONNA BE A MAD DOG!