Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

40+ agonizing years later...

Started by The Kig, August 18, 2017, 02:06:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Kig

On September 4th, Labor Day, I turn 50. I was not born in Arakansas, nor do I live there now... But early after birth adopted into an Arkansas family in the early 70's  only to be discarded like rubbish and adopted by another Arakansas family by age 12, it has always been HOME.   Every year I analyze the reasons why we will go undefeated... Many years able to convince myself that THIS is the year. 

Over time, I became disillusioned.... Year after year, watching my "home" team fight through moral victories, losing seasons and almost there...and then Nolan washed all that away in spectacular "in your face", master of the underdog fashion.  Since then, my fire has never gone out.   I was born in California, grew up and married a girl in a Arkansas.
I have live in New York, Texas and now south of Nashville.   The only thing consistent in my lifetime of memory is being a Hog fan.

It saddens me at times to see people born in this state who have lived their entire lives here who have lost hope.  Whether it be the current coaching staff, philosophy or [CENSORED] AD... self-proclaimed home-grown fans with defeatist attitudes find reasons to prove they are right with all the reasons we can't win this year.  Censor inbound,  but,"(insert censor here) you!"  I have been "successful" in life largely because I have never defined myself through other people's vision of limitations. 

As this season approaches, I find myself once again dreaming of "what ifs" and possibilities.... Until proven otherwise, we are undefeated.  To all of those azzhats overtly hoping CBB fails or something happens that attracts Gruden to NW AR, I middle finger salute your right to do so. 

This may not be the year, but I will go to my deathbed believing that it is possible. 
Poker Porker

daBoar

Good thoughts............but it is also 40 years since our last great season.....if not for Earl Campbell it would have been an undefeated season.   

Wow did we have talent on that team............

Today, we have a great one at Center.  And we have a 5th year QB right behind him.  The Hogs are blessed with more speed than we've had for years and upperclassmen galore in the defensive backfield.  I'd like to think we have some others who are ready to blossom and fill the gaps. 

I like it, 13-0.

jst01

For every fan/person that thinks their positive & optimistic attitude is the only way to live and be a fan, there is a fan/person that thinks their realistic & pessimistic attitude is the only way to live. I'll never understand why people get so worked up and defensive about how another guy views a football team.

carolinahogger

Quote from: jst01 on August 18, 2017, 07:36:37 am
For every fan/person that thinks their positive & optimistic attitude is the only way to live and be a fan, there is a fan/person that thinks their realistic & pessimistic attitude is the only way to live. I'll never understand why people get so worked up and defensive about how another guy views a football team.

I'm with you.  If a person wants to identify heavily with a sports team and be some sort of superfan...good for him.  Taking on an air of superiority about that...laughable.

The Kig

Quote from: carolinahogger on August 18, 2017, 08:04:15 am
I'm with you.  If a person wants to identify heavily with a sports team and be some sort of superfan...good for him.  Taking on an air of superiority about that...laughable.

There are obnoxious "fans" on both ends of the spectrum.  I find the completely blinded optimism almost as annoying as the sky is falling crew.   Was nothing about my post that that said people have to share my point of view or an air of superiority.  Quite the contrary, it was simply a statement that I remain hopeful that we will/can get there. 

People choose how they view life, regardless of circumstances. 
Poker Porker

Biggus Piggus

It is disgusting to attend a football game and have to sit near self-appointed experts who spew negativity -- and it's almost always total bull negativity, which makes it intolerable.
[CENSORED]!

WilsonHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 18, 2017, 12:57:41 pm
It is disgusting to attend a football game and have to sit near self-appointed experts who spew negativity -- and it's almost always total bull negativity, which makes it intolerable.

I put right along side them those fans who talk incessantly to players and coaches, like they were standing down on the sideline. Things like, "Oh, ________ (insert player's first name here), no! You have to tackle him!" (Well, no sh*t.)

It's also a blast listening to comments like, "He missed that block on purpose!" "He's not even trying!"

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 18, 2017, 01:06:48 pm
I put right along side them those fans who talk incessantly to players and coaches, like they were standing down on the sideline. Things like, "Oh, ________ (insert player's first name here), no! You have to tackle him!" (Well, no sh*t.)

It's also a blast listening to comments like, "He missed that block on purpose!" "He's not even trying!"
And then there is the call for the backup QB to be in, "Joe would have never missed that pass". I had one during the later years of the Nutt era call for a "smoke draw" on every passing down situation.

gchamblee

He hasn't been trying the past few years, but he is going to try hard this year because he wants a contract extension.

kaki

Can only speak for me, but for 50+ years, every season has been a great season.  This one will be as well.  Sure disappointments have been frequent, but the biggest downer on the upcoming season is that we won't be enjoying it with "Uncle Frank". 

nchogg

I would love to have a NC in my life time. Born and raised in Arkansas left at 31. Visited twice in the last 31 years. Still have family and friends there. Every year I have watched every Hog game I could. Even being in Florida now still love my hogs and watch every game. Go Hogs!

ImHogginIt

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 18, 2017, 01:06:48 pm

Ya'll need to move out of those high dollar club seats to the upperdeck with me. I hear some negativity but apparently not as much as that coming from people paying serious $$$ for the "good seats"  ;D

Actually the West upperdeck seats are the best seats in the house  ;)

WilsonHog

August 18, 2017, 04:08:50 pm #12 Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:15:34 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 18, 2017, 04:02:53 pm
Ya'll need to move out of those high dollar club seats to the upperdeck with me. I hear some negativity but apparently not as much as that coming from people paying serious $$$ for the "good seats"  ;D

Probably the best seats I've had were in 1985. When we expanded Razorback Stadium to add the upper deck, I used student loan money to make my first contribution and got season tickets in Pig Heaven.

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 18, 2017, 04:02:53 pm

I'd take front row Pig Heaven if you'd improve the concessions and the opportunity to have a Kobeer while up there. That, and make the walkways better.......

I love the Hogs no matter.  Players and coaches come and go but the HOGS are always here.  I would like to see all out effort on every play by all those involved.  Would like to see players run plays where it appears they've actually practiced it before.  Would like to see the players below the starters educated concerning their contribution to the team. 

Having once played on a baseball team where the social life and cold beer was more important than the game, I have detested pitiful effort on any endeavor in life ever since.  Don't plan on changing.

Failure to plan is planning to fail. 

ImHogginIt

Quote from: ricepig on August 18, 2017, 05:22:09 pm
I'd take front row Pig Heaven if you'd improve the concessions and the opportunity to have a Kobeer while up there. That, and make the walkways better.......

Yep. Kinda like Jerry World. I've sat in the $300 seats down below before but for the 4th year in a row I'll be sitting in the $125 row 1 400 level seats next month for A&M. Perfect seats with the big screen eye level in front of you

The Kig

Quote from: ricepig on August 18, 2017, 01:10:21 pmI had one during the later years of the Nutt era call for a "smoke draw" on every passing down situation.

Apparently Nutt was getting that guys text messages in game. 
Poker Porker

lumphog

Quote from: The Kig on August 18, 2017, 02:06:34 am
On September 4th, Labor Day, I turn 50. I was not born in Arakansas, nor do I live there now... But early after birth adopted into an Arkansas family in the early 70's  only to be discarded like rubbish and adopted by another Arakansas family by age 12, it has always been HOME.   Every year I analyze the reasons why we will go undefeated... Many years able to convince myself that THIS is the year. 

Over time, I became disillusioned.... Year after year, watching my "home" team fight through moral victories, losing seasons and almost there...and then Nolan washed all that away in spectacular "in your face", master of the underdog fashion.  Since then, my fire has never gone out.   I was born in California, grew up and married a girl in a Arkansas.
I have live in New York, Texas and now south of Nashville.   The only thing consistent in my lifetime of memory is being a Hog fan.

It saddens me at times to see people born in this state who have lived their entire lives here who have lost hope.  Whether it be the current coaching staff, philosophy or [CENSORED] AD... self-proclaimed home-grown fans with defeatist attitudes find reasons to prove they are right with all the reasons we can't win this year.  Censor inbound,  but,"(insert censor here) you!"  I have been "successful" in life largely because I have never defined myself through other people's vision of limitations. 

As this season approaches, I find myself once again dreaming of "what ifs" and possibilities.... Until proven otherwise, we are undefeated.  To all of those azzhats overtly hoping CBB fails or something happens that attracts Gruden to NW AR, I middle finger salute your right to do so. 

This may not be the year, but I will go to my deathbed believing that it is possible. 
GOD BLESS MY HOG BROTHER...........A  FRIGGIN  MEN

Hawgphat

There are fans with mindsets and varying enthusiasm levels which span the entire spectrum of expression.  None are exclusively foremost in their true, inner loyalties, and none are necessarily and genuinely superior to any of their "homer" compatriots in their purity of dedication.  Some are prone to gloss over perceived team weaknesses and/or inadequacies; others display a marked tendency to paint imaginary pictorials of looming grand and glorious improbable achievements which are unfounded and totally unrealistic.  The freedom to express those differing perspectives in the manner which is the product of their individual personality is the prerogative of each and every fan.  That signifies the differences in human nature.