Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

La'Michael Pettway of Nashville tweets. is Arkansas still recruiting him ?

Started by forrest city joe, August 28, 2014, 08:32:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

wholehog92

On the subject of late offers to in state kids and how often do the coaches need to see a kid etc, why does Ford not have an offer yet?

Staff was up there plenty for Krauss.

Edit:  It occurred to me that many may not realize there was discussion of a late offer to Pettway.

First one I found.  I'm sure there's more.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=560707.msg8776035#msg8776035

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on January 29, 2014, 03:48:31 pm
We're dragging our feet on Pettway and Bama is about to drop an offer on him.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: The Boar War on August 28, 2014, 01:37:58 pm

I think they want to actually meet and vet the kids.  Obviously theres merit to this system as many posters have noted.  However I also think they use it as a check to an instate recruits ego. 

If you have a kid who can understand the process and realize that the U of A is more than one athlete then you have a recruit that's much less likely to be a premadonna and more likely to put the team in front of themself.

It might scare off, confuse, or insult some kids but that's the risk you take.  It's much safer than recruiting a distraction and having to explain to you fan base why you had to release an Arkansan.

Wisdom explained... +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Ball Hawk

Rumor down in SW Arkansas from people close to him is that he ain't that firm to Ole Miss......

People love the Hogs in SW Arkansas, don't think things went very smooth with him committing to Ole Miss. I know the kids didn't even vote him team captain at Nashville.
Quote from: secfan30 on February 16, 2015, 11:01:56 pm

They are a perfect example of what happens with 10-12 generations of inbreeding.

Birminghog

Just had a flashback reading the previous post. Nashville, AR, Friday, Nov. 23, 1979. Day after Thanksgiving. Playoff game - Stamps v. Nashville. Coldest football game I've ever been to, & I've gone to a lot of high school & college games in Arkansas, Texas, & Alabama since 1968. For a game in the South, that was mighty cold.

Wahls

Pettway is more like 6'4". I've stood next to the kid. I'm 6'3". He is as long as advertised...

He's also not going to be a guy who you will see as a major contributor real early like JoJo. He will need some time to develop. He might be a bigger receiver but he doesn't play like one yet.

But where this would help is by keeping this class in state. That's a really big deal.
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Wildhog on August 28, 2014, 08:54:50 am
In my heart of hearts, I'm a homer.

I still have concerns, but with the season here, there's no time to dwell.  Too much eating, drinking, and yelling at my TV to do.
Finally...  Now I will have to find another person to antagonize.  Good news is that I am on convo leave the entire football season.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Country Stylz

Quote from: Wahls on August 29, 2014, 02:50:01 pm
Pettway is more like 6'4". I've stood next to the kid. I'm 6'3". He is as long as advertised...

He's also not going to be a guy who you will see as a major contributor real early like JoJo. He will need some time to develop. He might be a bigger receiver but he doesn't play like one yet.

But where this would help is by keeping this class in state. That's a really big deal.
Um, I watched his film and the dude was stiff arming people and breaking tackles like T.O.

Uberanubis

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

tophawg19

Quote from: immahog on August 28, 2014, 02:11:41 pm
I close my eyes an I see TY throwing to Hill,Gragg,O'grady and pettway !!! sweet baby jesus
guys i can't understand why everyone keeps forgetting Cantrell at TE
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Tim

Quote from: forrest city joe on August 28, 2014, 08:32:55 am
Or have we moved on since his commit to Ole Miss. here his tweet last night.       La'Michael Pettway.. ?@Iam_Primetimee4

Pettway, Hill, Gragg??? Huh?? @W_Gragg7 @KayJayHill

Is this a plea for them to come to Ole Miss with him?(KJ does not even have Ole Miss on his list anymore) or is he re-thinking his committment to Ole Miss, and thinking of coming to Arkansas? would we take him if he wants to come now ? ( i would) he's an in-state kid we offered, and it's not that he left the state, and is trying to come back. and last thing. are we even still recruiting this kid ? what do you guys think is going on with this kid ?
FCJ,

Tell me what you think, so that I can believe the opposite. 

RxRazorback

Haven't read all of the thread, but heres my take. We weren't going to take any other receivers ahead of KJ to show him that he's priority número uno. Now that he's in the fold and actively helping recruit I think that the coaches would let Pettway on board and likely call it quits at the WR position.
W88 Pig S88ie!

Styflin

Quote from: RxRazorback on August 29, 2014, 08:59:24 pm
Haven't read all of the thread, but heres my take. We weren't going to take any other receivers ahead of KJ to show him that he's priority número uno. Now that he's in the fold and actively helping recruit I think that the coaches would let Pettway on board and likely call it quits at the WR position.

KJ wasn't the first WR to commit. Stewart was

RxRazorback

Never said he was, or meant that anyways. They wanted to make KJ a priority and did that.
W88 Pig S88ie!

Ball Hawk

Told yall the rumor was he wasn't very firm to Ole Miss and he committed. Won't be long until he goes public with Ark verbal.
Quote from: secfan30 on February 16, 2015, 11:01:56 pm

They are a perfect example of what happens with 10-12 generations of inbreeding.

Hawg_Thai'd

I have my suspicions as to how this seems to be going. This is ONLY my opinion from what I have read in regards to LaMichael. But it would seem as if he is one of those guys that was told what the plan was for the class and if there was something that worked a certain way, then he could be a part of that plan. Yes, I suppose I am using the old "he has an offer, but it's not commitable right now" line, but some things that RD has been saying and I am not sure where he is getting this info, but it doesn't sound as if he has the standing as that of K.J. and Will. Right after he tweeted out that stuff with the Hog wear on, RD said that it may not be to where he can just jump on board right now (paraphrasing). That the coaches would have to do some thinking. (Which would totally suck if we didn't have room for him and he lost that Ole Miss scholie also.) Ok, I just read the Sunday bits and RD had this to say:

He spoke to Coach Bret Bielema and was told to take his time on his decision and do what's best for him. He plans to visit the Hogs again and along with Ole Miss.

CBB told him to take his time. Is that because the coaches have to see how a few other things are going to fall first? Now, I am not trying to be the guy who is raining on the  parade, but before anything is official, I believe that the coaches have some ideas that we are not privy to.

Just my 2 cents.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on September 08, 2014, 12:06:04 pm
I have my suspicions as to how this seems to be going. This is ONLY my opinion from what I have read in regards to LaMichael. But it would seem as if he is one of those guys that was told what the plan was for the class and if there was something that worked a certain way, then he could be a part of that plan. Yes, I suppose I am using the old "he has an offer, but it's not commitable right now" line, but some things that RD has been saying and I am not sure where he is getting this info, but it doesn't sound as if he has the standing as that of K.J. and Will. Right after he tweeted out that stuff with the Hog wear on, RD said that it may not be to where he can just jump on board right now (paraphrasing). That the coaches would have to do some thinking. (Which would totally suck if we didn't have room for him and he lost that Ole Miss scholie also.) Ok, I just read the Sunday bits and RD had this to say:

He spoke to Coach Bret Bielema and was told to take his time on his decision and do what's best for him. He plans to visit the Hogs again and along with Ole Miss.

CBB told him to take his time. Is that because the coaches have to see how a few other things are going to fall first? Now, I am not trying to be the guy who is raining on the  parade, but before anything is official, I believe that the coaches have some ideas that we are not privy to.

Just my 2 cents.
Again, and not that I have ANY insight into the process, if one wants to make an issue out of CBB's "take your time to make the right decision for YOU" approach one only need take a look at the "head Hog's" general approach to recruiting in general. This is by NO means the first and only time we've seen such sentiments expressed when it comes down to a kid making what could be the most important of his young life. Bret's attitude seems to be squarely in the camp that it's better for a recruit to be very deliberate in his choice and try to make the best one for him (the player); significantly reduces or even eliminates the unpleasant backlash of a prospect making a hasty decision he might later regret. Personally I think it's very wise and solid approach. That being said, I'll not try second guessing or interpreting whether or not the Hogs are especially anxious about "closing the deal" on Pettway; however, I'm sure they'd prefer having a solid answer just to know where they stand and to plan accordingly.

ThisTeetsTaken

Pretty obvious to this observer that our staff has lowered the priority on getting Mr Pettway.  When you really want a player you try to sell him on your program wether it's best for him or not.   
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 08, 2014, 01:03:13 pm
Pretty obvious to this observer that our staff has lowered the priority on getting Mr Pettway.  When you really want a player you try to sell him on your program wether it's best for him or not.
And who says the staff hasn't been doing exactly that? Again, just because you tell him to take the time to make the right decision for HIM doesn't mean you aren't trying or haven't tried making your best case. In the end we'll just have to see how it all plays out. While it would be nice to get the young man to commit, in the end it's not going to be a "make or break" decision for the program (and no disrespect intended/meant to young Mr. Pettway).

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 08, 2014, 12:56:07 pm
when it comes down to a kid making what could be the most important of his young life. Bret's attitude seems to be squarely in the camp that it's better for a recruit to be very deliberate in his choice and try to make the best one for him (the player); significantly reduces or even eliminates the unpleasant backlash of a prospect making a hasty decision he might later regret.

I am with you on this. When everything is said and done, it's the "kid" that has to attend the classes and make new friends, not us. I think with a "make sure  you want to come here first" approach  to the  recruits, that in itself shows that he really cares about the wellbeing of the  student athletes. Not everyone gets drafted. Better make that degree count for something 'cause times are getting rougher and rougher.

I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 08, 2014, 01:20:25 pm
And who says the staff hasn't been doing exactly that? Again, just because you tell him to take the time to make the right decision for HIM doesn't mean you aren't trying or haven't tried making your best case. In the end we'll just have to see how it all plays out. While it would be nice to get the young man to commit, in the end it's not going to be a "make or break" decision for the program (and no disrespect intended/meant to young Mr. Pettway).
Umm no.  Ever had a salesman tell you "do what's best for you?". 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hawgwash

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 08, 2014, 05:12:00 pm
Only good ones.  Usually they are the kind who are selling a long term relationship and a big ticket product rather than a one time transaction.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 08, 2014, 05:12:00 pm
Well I'm also not sure the vast majority of "salesmen" I know share the same genuine sense of caring for a player as CBB to. To them it's merely about the "bucks". And while I understand that recruiting is in a real sense sales (of your program's future), this is not the first time that we've heard a situation where CBB has indicated a young man should take his time to make sure he's making the right choice. Again, I have absolutely no idea, as do you or anyone else on here, whether or not the staff has cooled on Pettway for whatever reason(s). However, to take the stance that because CBB's apparently told the young man not to be hasty in making whatever decision he'll eventually come up doesn't necessarily indicate that the Hogs are "blowing him off" or "giving him the cold shoulder" either.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hawgwash on September 08, 2014, 05:57:10 pm
Only good ones.  Usually they are the kind who are selling a long term relationship and a big ticket product rather than a one time transaction.
+1 for a totally great observation and point.

hawgsmellgud

All CBB is saying is that right now Pettway is getting "it" from our entire fan base, even our best football player ever has asked him to commit. He wants him to do what is best for him, and if that's commit to us then great. If not then don't worry about crazy hog fan.

Man the sky falls a lot around here.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."