Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update: State braced for Battle over the Cowbells

Started by jbcarol, May 31, 2010, 10:02:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

arslp

Quote from: booogaga on September 15, 2011, 05:37:19 pm
either way i hate both teams. i wish they could both lose

Just let LSU lose more tonight...   :)
My name is written twice on the sidewalks at U of A; the first for a bachelors degree in education; and the second for a master's degree in speech-lanuguage pathology. 

Like my friend "ArkieBrat" says, "Gettin' old ain't for sissies".

CR7

Why? LSU is #3 and if they are undefeated when we play them it would help us tremendously when we beat them.

11-0 LSU team >>>>>> 8-4 MSU team.

Eber

I say root for MSU.  LSU will quit at the end of the season if they are not looking good for a BCS bowl.  MSU, on the other hand, plays tough no matter their record.

HF#1

I personally want them to lose.  Can't stand the corndogs.  I don't care what their record is when we face them. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Clax10

Gotta say LSU.  It just makes the most sense.  If you can't see that beating an undefeated LSU team that is ranked #1 at the end of the season is better for the hogs then there may be no hope for you.

(o0o)

Quote from: choicesthops on September 15, 2011, 05:29:50 pm
An undefeated SEC team will always go to the national championship game...

See Auburn 2003-04

PigWig

If LSU loses a couple games, we would be a BCS lock at 10-2. That's why I'm pulling for State. If we win the SECCG, we will be in the BCSCG regardless of how well our opponents fare this year.

Clax10

Quote from: PigWig on September 15, 2011, 09:03:38 pm
If LSU loses a couple games, we would be a BCS lock at 10-2. That's why I'm pulling for State. If we win the SECCG, we will be in the BCSCG regardless of how well our opponents fare this year.

See post above yours.

HF#1

Quote from: Mark S on September 15, 2011, 09:01:32 pm
See Auburn 2003-04

After winning the last 5 NC's, I don't think we will see a repeat of 2004.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PigWig

Quote from: Clax10 on September 15, 2011, 09:05:47 pm
See post above yours.
See post below yours. If Auburn went from outside the top 20 to #1 last season with an easier schedule, we will do the same.

In fact, we will be a top 2 team by our bye week if we beat Bama, A&M, and Auburn in consecutive weeks.

Clax10

September 15, 2011, 09:14:07 pm #310 Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:17:34 pm by Clax10
Quote from: PigWig on September 15, 2011, 09:12:20 pm
See post below yours. If Auburn went from outside the top 20 to #1 last season with an easier schedule, we will do the same.

In fact, we will be a top 2 team by our bye week if we beat Bama, A&M, and Auburn in consecutive weeks.

I like this game.... See post below this one.

(see what I did there  :))

(o0o)

Quote from: hogfan#1 on September 15, 2011, 09:06:22 pm
After winning the last 5 NC's, I don't think we will see a repeat of 2004.

I with you, but I want our competition to receive their losses from the Hogs and nobody else.

Hot_Town_Hog

If the Hogs win at Bama and beat the Aggies, it will not matter what LSU's record is when we play. Furthermore, State winning tonight would add weight to the overall strength of the West, especially considering how LSU spanked Oregon.

Go Dawgs!!!

Clax10

went out on a limb and totally predicted the post below my last would be on the same side of the argument as me.  Im going to get a lottery ticket.

(o0o)

Quote from: Clax10 on September 15, 2011, 09:16:33 pm
went out on a limb and totally predicted the post below my last would be on the same side of the argument as me.  Im going to get a lottery ticket.

I should get a piece of it if you win...

PigWig

Haha, I guess I just want to be in New Orleans again. A 9-3 LSU team would just increases our BCS odds if we lose to Bama.

Clax10

Clax10

Quote from: PigWig on September 15, 2011, 09:19:15 pm
Haha, I guess I just want to be in New Orleans again. A 9-3 LSU team would just increases our BCS odds if we lose to Bama.

Your correct.  My entire argument changes if we lose the game next week. 

(o0o)

Quote from: Clax10 on September 15, 2011, 09:21:08 pm
Your correct.  My entire argument changes if we lose the game next week. 

Yup. Mine too.

jbcarol

The crowd is deafening and in complete compliance of the rules. - Joe State

The rules were no cowbells ... hmmm. - Scotty Waters

Hmmm. No you're wrong. - Joe State

pretty sure they were banned like 5 years ago... meanwhile they are always there... hmmmm - Scotty Waters

Scotty Waters gets a free subscription to Hogville and a link to this thread.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Fort Dweller

Asked about this in the MMQB thread last night.  I could hear those damn things on TV.  Wonder if the SEC will ignore this...again?
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

PHill94

December 30, 2011, 09:06:18 pm #321 Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 07:21:59 am by WilsonHog
moo state is going off with those things every time wake is on offense. Absolute bs. I'm not against state but what is stopping me from hauling in an air horn to dallas and going to town with that thing? They tried to make exception for them and it didn't work. Time for the SEC to grow a sack and ban it.

HiggiePiggy

It is actually against SEC rules to use them while opponents are on the field.  They get finned I believe 50k for it. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

The Great Hambino

When MS State starts making relevant bowl games and playing against opponents who matter in those bowl games, things might change. Otherwise they will just pay the fine.

In SEC games, they aren't nearly as bad as they were a few years ago.

But I agree with you, 100%. Take your air horn.

regi

They were 2-6 in the SEC, a program that last won a conference title in 1943 and is 506 and 544 with 9 ties all time. Do the cowbells really make that much difference?

phadedhawg

Quote from: regi on December 30, 2011, 09:11:02 pm
They were 2-6 in the SEC, a program that last won a conference title in 1943 and is 506 and 544 with 9 ties all time. Do the cowbells really make that much difference?

lolol

ozarkshogfan

They told them they could bring them but they weren't supposed to be used after the ball was ready for play, but they rang them till the ball was snapped, that's BS

WAHog

Maybe the "Music" City Bowl has some appreciation for constantly clanging cowbells that I don't.

greasy_corner

Quote from: regi on December 30, 2011, 09:11:02 pm

As soon as we lose to them, they sure as hell will.  Everyone is State's buddy right now, since they are a non-factor.  Enforce the rules.

Burt B.

razorback3072

Bowl Games are different.  The SEC has rules against artificial noise makers but MSU gets a special pass.  However, there are a lot of bowl games that pass out "noisemakers".  Those inflated bats are the first that come to mind.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

kingofdequeen

i gotta have more cattle bell?

doesn't work, bruh.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 30, 2011, 09:09:25 pm
It is actually against SEC rules to use them while opponents are on the field.  They get finned I believe 50k for it.

Apparently not the SEC's call in bowl games.

http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=14377

cotterhog

I've gotta fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on December 30, 2011, 09:58:35 pm
Apparently not the SEC's call in bowl games.

http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=14377

I should have been more clear.  If they use them in SEC games.  SEC doesn't own the bowl games. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

jfred59

It's the only way the cow college followers can find the stadium

HoggyCat

It's against SEC policy. They just pay the fine and move on.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Simple Swineman

I'm not sure why people are obsessed with banning the bells. I hate them too, but at the same time it's that kind of stuff that makes college sports what it is.

Like somebody pointed out, its not like the cowbells are helping them win games. Without the cowbells annoying me I have no reason to hate a team like Miss St. and then I may as well become an NFL fan.

razorback3072

Quote from: HoggyCat on December 30, 2011, 10:28:52 pm
It's against SEC policy. They just pay the fine and move on.

It's not either.  The SEC has a ban against artificial noisemakers but they have an agreement to allow MSU to keep the cowbells at home games because of "tradition".  There are certain stipulations though.  They are allowed to "use a cowbell only at Scott Field during pregame, halftime, between quarters, timeouts, after scoring plays and during possession changes."

Last year they were fined $5k for violation in the first game and $25k for violations of the rule in a second game.  The fine structure was $5k 1st offense, $25K 2nd offense and $50k after that.

To my knowledge, there were no violations this season.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

McmerleHOG

Quote from: Simple Swineman on December 30, 2011, 10:29:24 pm
I'm not sure why people are obsessed with banning the bells. I hate them too, but at the same time it's that kind of stuff that makes college sports what it is.

Like somebody pointed out, its not like the cowbells are helping them win games. Without the cowbells annoying me I have no reason to hate a team like Miss St. and then I may as well become an NFL fan.

I'd argue it helps 'em.  A major reason for the "homefield advantage" in football is crowd noise which disrupts the opposing teams ability to audible/get plays in on offense.  Those bells make a LOT of noise. 

I guarantee you those cowbells gave MSU an edge tonight. 
Small is the new huge.

regi

BOAR_N2BWILD

Cowbells= the only way to find their wife or girlfriend after the game
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

hawgeathawg

Quote from: razorback3072 on December 30, 2011, 10:40:37 pm
To my knowledge, there were no violations this season.

The announcers last night said they had been fined $50K for illegal use this year. Don't know if that's true or not.

Bigfoot

davglo35

Its like most everything else in America. They can ban em but they're still gonna use em. Cell phones are banned when you're driving but most still use em. They banned tobacco where I work but I believe more people are using it now than ever. Just to spite em. Americans don't like to be regulated.

WilsonHog

One of the announcers said last night that Music City Bowl officials actually wanted State fans to bring and ring the cowbells. They thought it brought a great atmosphere to the bowl game MSU played in last year, and wanted the same type of atmosphere last night.

I have no problem with them. It's a State - and thus an SEC - tradition, and I'm not in favor of screwing with other school's traditions lest they come after mine.

Jackrabbit Hog

Our oldest daughter goes to MSU and she doesn't like the cowbells, but she says most people take them and ring them because, well, it's tradition and that's what you're supposed to do.  She says most of her friends feel the same way.

I guess if you're MSU, you have to have a gimmick, something to be known for besides being a second level school out in the middle of nowhere.  Hence, the cowbell.

Also, regarding the announcements that are made before the game reminding the fans that it is against the rules to ring the cowbell during plays?  It's done in such a way that it actually incites the crowd and I'm sure that is the intent.  They use the audio of Christopher Walken (love that guy!) on SNL doing his "I need more cowbell" routine and the crowd goes wild.  So no, they're not trying very hard to get the cowbell ringing under control.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hawgeluia

Come on guys, the cowbells are all they have right now. Don't take them away!!!
Can I get a Hawgeluia?

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PHill94 on December 30, 2011, 09:06:18 pm
moo state is going off with those things every time wake is on offense. Absolute bs. I'm not against state but what is stopping me from hauling in an air horn to dallas and going to town with that thing? They tried to make exception for them and it didn't work. Time for the SEC to grow a sack and ban it.
maybe they can use them to beat a drunk marine senseless with it.....beats getting blood on your shoes.

PP

M L (bassplayer)

Tradition or not, we yell 'til we can't talk, and they clang a cowbell. Not fair.
We should bring back the old plastic horns we used to use. Hell, that was a tradition.

This BS of letting them bring them if they follow the rules is an epic fail;

"fans will be allowed to ring the cowbell during pregame, halftime, between quarters, timeouts, after scoring plays, and during possession changes"