Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gunsmithing

Started by CallThemHawgs!, October 01, 2014, 12:10:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CallThemHawgs!

Who on here is decent, or has done any work on handguns, or rifles for that matter?

Looking into making my next carry gun a sort of custom, one off, 100% reliable deal.

Melting-dehorning slide, polish feed ramp/throat, bevel mag well, replacing guide rod & recoil spring, clean up trigger, reblue (needed after the slide work). Just looking to see if anyone here does their own stuff?

CallThemHawgs!

Kodiak? Anyone?

Looking to do something like the picture below to a Colt Mustang Pocketlite slide/frame

[attachment deleted by admin]

kodiakisland

I think the key is knowing your limitations.  What you are suggesting doesn't require a lot of skill, but would be easy to mess up as well.  I have fitted frames and done trigger jobs on single actions that turned out OK.  Just took my time and removed metal slowly.  If you can live with potential screw-ups then go for it.  If it has to be perfect or if you ever plan on selling, probably want to pay a pro.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: kodiakisland on October 01, 2014, 12:31:08 pm
I think the key is knowing your limitations.  What you are suggesting doesn't require a lot of skill, but would be easy to mess up as well.  I have fitted frames and done trigger jobs on single actions that turned out OK.  Just took my time and removed metal slowly.  If you can live with potential screw-ups then go for it.  If it has to be perfect or if you ever plan on selling, probably want to pay a pro.

Planning on keeping it as an EDC so I am not concerned about it being perfect. Just 100% reliable and a great feeling gun.

kodiakisland

You should be able to do it.  Just go slow.  Once the metal is gone you can't put it back.  Ask me how I know.  :(
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: kodiakisland on October 01, 2014, 03:13:53 pm
You should be able to do it.  Just go slow.  Once the metal is gone you can't put it back.  Ask me how I know.  :(

I have heard horror stories, what happened with yours?

Its a $500 pistol. If I mess it up, oh well. It will still function, but I think I can handle it.

kodiakisland

One of the best and worst presents my wife ever got me was a dremel tool with all the attachments.  Luckily most parts are easily replaceable.  Just don't get any power tools near the frame or slide.

CallThemHawgs!

Hahaha oh man, thats a mess.... Dremels can be a nightmare on stuff like this

kibster

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on October 01, 2014, 11:18:05 am
Kodiak? Anyone?

Looking to do something like the picture below to a Colt Mustang Pocketlite slide/frame

When I read through the thread the first time I thought the gun in the photo was what you were working on.  Then you mentioned it was a $500 gun and I was thoroughly confused.  Wilson's are great guns.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

DeltaBoy

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on October 01, 2014, 12:10:41 am
Who on here is decent, or has done any work on handguns, or rifles for that matter?

Looking into making my next carry gun a sort of custom, one off, 100% reliable deal.

Melting-dehorning slide, polish feed ramp/throat, bevel mag well, replacing guide rod & recoil spring, clean up trigger, reblue (needed after the slide work). Just looking to see if anyone here does their own stuff?

Wilson Combat there in Ark got a great rep for that kind of work.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

kibster

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 27, 2014, 08:28:59 am
Wilson Combat there in Ark got a great rep for that kind of work.

But also be prepared to pay a ton for it.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

zane

Quote from: kibster on October 27, 2014, 02:06:12 pm
But also be prepared to pay a ton for it.

But it's worth it!
RIP LSUfan

DeltaBoy

I would have offered T. Ulmholtz in Clarendon but he passed away a few years ago. This is also a Smith over at Macks in Stuttgart but I don't personally know of his quality of work.  Sipes in LR if it is still open can do it too.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

kibster

Might get in contact with Automatic Accuracy in Conway.  They built all of my CZs for me, but I know they work on other guns as well.

http://automaticaccuracy.net/?page_id=16