Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All-Star, anyone care?

Started by Buff, May 16, 2015, 09:55:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Buff

Just heard a fun stat.  In the points races this year, Kevin Harvick and Kurt Busch have led 44% of the laps.  Considering that Busch missed 3 races, that's amazing. 

Any thoughts on this format?  Not sure I like the racing-for-an-average game.  Wish Na$car would settle on a format and stop adding new gimmicks every year.

ImHogginIt

Pretty exciting race. Almost wish they would do this segment format in some points races on the mile and a half tracks.

berryhog

Guess I haven't watched enough this year to be aware of the rule change about the lug nuts.  IMO, if safety is such a huge concern, that is one of the dumbest changes I could imagine. 

Flying Razorback

It was good racing, I just have gotten to where I don't care about the All Star race.  At the end only about 4 or 5 people really race because they're the only ones that can win. 

I wonder what the actual point of a NASCAR All Star race is.  We already have 2 points races on the same track and we already see all the NASCAR "stars" race each other every week.  In the stick and ball sports, the point is to put all the best on one field or court for one night...  Well, that's called every week in NASCAR.  So you end up with a smaller field of guys who are doing the same thing without incentive (points).
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Buff

Quote from: Flying Razorback on May 17, 2015, 09:30:09 am
It was good racing, I just have gotten to where I don't care about the All Star race.  At the end only about 4 or 5 people really race because they're the only ones that can win. 

Case in point, Knaus telling Jimmie to pack it in because it's over.  If you can't win, you just take care of the car and finish out the laps.

Buff

Quote from: berryhog on May 17, 2015, 08:57:54 am
Guess I haven't watched enough this year to be aware of the rule change about the lug nuts.  IMO, if safety is such a huge concern, that is one of the dumbest changes I could imagine. 

Yeah, still can't believe that was a real thing.  Lug nuts optional, I swear I saw Brad's crew only put 3 on on the last pit stop.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Buff on May 17, 2015, 09:37:07 am
Yeah, still can't believe that was a real thing.  Lug nuts optional, I swear I saw Brad's crew only put 3 on on the last pit stop.

I mean you have teams like Hamlin getting the car out in 10.7 seconds.  Missing lugs on 15 or more laps is going to destroy the car.  However, I wonder if they've got something figured out where they know the minimum needed.

Otherwise those dudes are just insane good.

Buff

My guess is that they're betting the bank on knowing how long it takes for the vibration from loose or missing lug nuts to destroy the car, and that number is greater than 10 laps.  If I'm a driver im pretty pissed that it's an option to not put all 5 on.

Flying Razorback

I don't know, it seems to be getting guys out in front of Harvick.  He has been able to come out in any position and pass everyone on track up to 2nd... And then he can't pass the leader.

A lot of people think it's awesome he keeps finishing 2nd every week, but it can get frustrating...  He'd have Jimmie Johnson win totals if he could just pass the guy out front.  Just like last night, he pulls up on the bumper of the 11 nearly a second faster per lap...  And then can't pass him because the air off the leader destroys his car.

In the pack it doesn't matter because everyone is in that dirty air.  But passing the clean air car is next to impossible.

So the 4 lug nut gamble might be worth it to keep the 4 car in second place.  Although he could skip a race and still be leading the points, so that's cool only 11 races in.

TheRazorback500

I missed it. Previous engagement. Congrats to Denny.

See ya at the 600.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Flying Razorback

I actually like the 600, I hate that it's Sunday because I'm ready for it by Saturday night.

Racinray

Quote from: Flying Razorback on May 17, 2015, 08:06:43 pm
I actually like the 600, I hate that it's Sunday because I'm ready for it by Saturday night.
I know why they run 600 miles, but man it gets real boring.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Racinray on May 17, 2015, 08:36:31 pm
I know why they run 600 miles, but man it gets real boring.

I understand that, and I'm glad it's on the holiday weekend for that.  I always feel like I get some good time around the house during it.  It's fun to see the endurance.  That final 100 miles is not what they're used to.

ImHogginIt

I like the Charlotte mile and a half. It does not appear to have as high a banking as Texas and its definitely more narrow. Texas needs to repave and be more like Charlotte.

riccoar

Quote from: Buff on May 17, 2015, 09:35:51 am
Case in point, Knaus telling Jimmie to pack it in because it's over.  If you can't win, you just take care of the car and finish out the laps.
I think realistically come race time those guys know which 4-5 cars are contending to win $1 million.  What I think some teams did was use the opportunity to have a extended testing session for the 600.