Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ronnie and the NBA Draft

Started by 4th and 1, May 23, 2006, 04:15:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

4th and 1

Looks like most have Ronnie B. going somewhere between the 8 and 12 spot...probably stay in the western confrence...some are saying OKC Hornets....I'd say Supersonics.  What are you guys thinking?  The Lottery is tonight so I'm sure it'll be a lot clearer then.

Lando Calrissian

He is not a lottery pick.

That's not a knock on him, but he's just not that sort of player.

The best thing, for him, is to be drafted by a late round (aka GOOD) team that doesn't need immediate help.

Lottery picks are expected to make an instant impact on a team.  Ronnie isn't that type of player, and that is not his fault.

The NBA has changed.  The good teams are filled with lots role-players (like Ronnie will be) that can do a little bit of everything.  Gone are the days of teams relying on one player (or their lottery pick) to carry them.

If a team drafts him and expects him to score 15-20 a game then they are in for a rude awakening.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 23, 2006, 04:21:59 pm

If a team drafts him and expects him to score 15-20 a game then they are in for a rude awakening.

Not to mention the next 2 years of agonizing over a wasted pick.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

wincrimson

Pignominious

Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Adam Stokes

If Reddick is taken by the time he gets to Utah, Utah will take Ronnie.  And you can count on one hand the amount of rookies that score more than 15 in their rookie year.  Players picked just out of the top ten usually score just inder 10 next season, that's not too much to ask for Ronnie.

4th and 1

i would agree that he shouldnt be a top 15....trust me...but according to a lot of people and nba.com....he is.  i wouldnt take him...but whatever...i still say supersonics.

Boner

Quote from: slumpbuster on May 23, 2006, 05:09:01 pm
Quote from: ajs15razorman on May 23, 2006, 04:39:47 pm
  If Reddick is taken by the time he gets to Utah, Utah will take Ronnie.  And you can count on one hand the amount of rookies that score more than 15 in their rookie year.  Players picked just out of the top ten usually score just inder 10 next season, that's not too much to ask for Ronnie.

Thank you for being at least one person on here that actually understands the NBA draft.

The NBA does not draft for "instant impact" whether they're a lottery pick or not.  They're picked on potential.  It's not like football where if you're a first round pick you're expected to play immeadiately unless you're a quarterback.  If they do get immeadiate help from a rookie that's great but it is not expected unless you're a can't miss like Tim Duncan.

All those HS kids and college freshmen who were all lottery picks were not expected to come in and score 15 to 20 a night.  This is the scoring avg from this past lottery class

Andrew Bogut   9.4
Marvin Williams  8.5
Deron Williams   10.8
Chris Paul         16.1
Raymond Felton 11.9
Martel Webster  6.6
Charlie Villanueva  13.0
Channing Frye    12.3
Ike Diogu           7.0
Andrew Bynum    1.6
Sean May          8.2

Two other foreign players that were lottery picks didn't even play this year.  They were picked on being available in the next few years to come.  

So on the basis of having to score 15 to 20 their first year to be considered a success only one player reaches that level.  I guess that makes all the others busts.

Shut up.  Nobody's interested in facts.

Adam Stokes

I personally appreciated the stats. 

GHG

clemensrules01

The best thing, for him, is to be drafted by a late round (aka GOOD) team that doesn't need immediate help.

Lottery picks are expected to make an instant impact on a team.  Ronnie isn't that type of player, and that is not his fault.

The NBA has changed.  The good teams are filled with lots role-players (like Ronnie will be) that can do a little bit of everything.  Gone are the days of teams relying on one player (or their lottery pick) to carry them.

of the top 100 prospects in the NBA Draft, Ronnie Brewer is #8. so yes, he is a lottery pick. 

WTH scores 15-20 a game as a rookie besides the ROTY?

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: clemensrules01WTH scores 15-20 a game as a rookie besides the ROTY?

That wasn't my point.

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

hog caller

well lets use his scholarship.

hawgfan80

Depending on who he goes to, and if he stays healthy, Ronnie averages 8-10 points a game next year for sure. Not to mention he's a good passer and he's smart. He'll never be a superstar, but you can make a nice living in the NBA as a role player. Ask Robert Horry, or Ron Harper, or Bruce Bowen, or Jud Buechler. None of those are the same type player as Ronnie, but he'll do just fine with the right team.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: hawgfan80Ask Robert Horry, or Ron Harper, or Bruce Bowen, or Jud Buechler. None of those are the same type player as Ronnie, but he'll do just fine with the right team.

You nailed it.

Ronnie needs to be on a team where he can do his own thing, yet isn't relied on to be great in any one area.

If he goes to the Utah Jazz we will never hear about him again.

Brutalis

Ronnie = NBA scrub. He'll be a decent bench player for a sub .500 team though.

Kids a fool leaving school. Seriously ignant'
God, please let the my Hogs be just half as good as my Spurs. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh meeennnnnnnnnnn

PiggoBitttys

Quote from: Brutalis on May 23, 2006, 06:05:05 pm

Why exactly is that? Do you really think he's going to get that much better over his senior year? Next year's draft is going to be MUCH deeper and more talented. He stays his senior year, and he would move down the draft board.

And last I checked, any time you're getting guaranteed millions, you ain't  "ignant". And he will be drafted in the lottery. Even if he doesn't there's absolutely no way he'd drop out of the first round.

Boner

I don't see any reason why Ronnie Brewer can't be a very similar player to Josh Howard.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Boner on May 23, 2006, 06:27:49 pm
I don't see any reason why Ronnie Brewer can't be a very similar player to Josh Howard.

He could be exactly that.

My point is that if a player like Josh Howard or Ronnie Brewer was on the Utah Jazz, not a single one of us would know who he is.

thehill1414

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2006/index

Here is a link to the picking order...I wouldn't be surprised if he went to the Hornets.  ESPN has him at #8 though to the Rockets.

PIGINAPOKE

He needs to go to the Lakers to fill Horays roll or Fischer's .Koby needs help? A thought.
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

WILL CLINTON

I see one glaring reason. Talent. The kid wont EVER avg. 15-20 pts a game. The only people who will remember Ronnie B in 5 years will be the team that drafted him, Razorback fans, and the teammates of whatever team he is on.

sore26

I think some of you are just bitter because Ronnie is leaving.  He will be a solid NBA player for 10 years.  Rick Majerus called him the best perimeter defender in college basketball.  I think he knows more than we do.  He fits in great with the rockets at #8.

WILL CLINTON

not me, I have been saying this all along, since before this year.  if you were even talking to me.

3kgthog

Quote from: sore26 on May 23, 2006, 09:59:01 pm
I think some of you are just bitter because Ronnie is leaving.  He will be a solid NBA player for 10 years.  Rick Majerus called him the best perimeter defender in college basketball.  I think he knows more than we do.  He fits in great with the rockets at #8.

The best perimeter defender in the nation, yet he didn't even win SEC defensive player of the year. Good call.

sore26

Brewer shared the SEC Defensive Player of the Year award with Thomas. He has an NBA body, and I think he will develop a good jumper.

nwarazfan

Didn't you contradict yourself?  "Lottery players are expected to make an instant impact."  Next paragraph: "Gone are the days of teams relying on one player(or their lottery pick) to carry them."

Different teams draft players for different reasons.  Some want immediate help.  But many in recent years have drafted strictly on potential especially considering the foreign players some of whom don't even come to the US for 2 or 3 years and Juco players and HS players. 

RB is a lottery pick in today's expanded watered down NBA.  He'll make a better pro than college player once he gets on the court with guys of equal or better skills.  Remember 2nd half at Knoxville this year and that is what he will become quickly in the NBA. 

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: nwarazfan on May 23, 2006, 10:19:55 pm

Didn't you contradict yourself?  "Lottery players are expected to make an instant impact."  Next paragraph: "Gone are the days of teams relying on one player(or their lottery pick) to carry them."

Different teams draft players for different reasons.  Some want immediate help.  But many in recent years have drafted strictly on potential especially considering the foreign players some of whom don't even come to the US for 2 or 3 years and Juco players and HS players. 

RB is a lottery pick in today's expanded watered down NBA.  He'll make a better pro than college player once he gets on the court with guys of equal or better skills.  Remember 2nd half at Knoxville this year and that is what he will become quickly in the NBA.

Lottery teams are lottery teams for a reason.

Brewer could turn out to be a nice complimentary player in the long run, but lottery teams need impact players first - complimentary players second.

PiggoBitttys

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 23, 2006, 10:59:09 pm

Lottery teams are lottery teams for a reason.

Brewer could turn out to be a nice complimentary player in the long run, but lottery teams need impact players first - complimentary players second.

Obviously some people around the nation feel Ronnie is an impact player, unless many mock drafts were part of a conspiracy and Ronnie Sr's contacts in the NBA have been telling him complete fabrications. There are those in the NBA who have been evaluating basketball players for a living, just because you wouldn't take Ronnie in the lottery, doesn't mean others won't.

Lottery means the first 14 picks. Utah is in the lottery and they were .500 this year. Philly is in the lottery, they were only 2 games out of being in the playoffs, and Orlando finished the season as well as any team in the NBA. There are decent teams in the lottery, and not all of them need to find a franchise/impact player.

Hank351

Ronnie will make an impact in the NBA in his rookie year.  WHY???  Because, he plays defense, and in  a league where a handful of people do that, he will make a difference.  And for you jack asses who think he's going to be a wash in the NBA get a clue.  I mean who out of the draft class do you project in front of him in the 8-14 spots.  Ronnie will succeed at the next level, he'll finish his school, and he'll be a great representative of the state, and university as he ALWAYS has been.

pigture perfect

Ronnie will score about 20 a game next year.

If he plays for the RimRockers.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

werehog

Well, yeah, I find myself agreeing with Lando Clarissian on this one. I think Ronnie will wish he had his senior year back, buck them again he might not get as much playing time on next year's Razorback team as he did this year if Sammy Weems is as good as everybody seems to think.

Listen up guys, Ronnie is never going to have a great stroke. Another thing, he can't let his mind wander on defense like he did in college or guys like Kobe Bryant will eat him alive. I won't try to predict what his career will be like. Once upon a time, I thought he would be a lot like Doug Christy, but he just doesn't have that kind of stroke. Drafting is not an exact science in any sport otherwise how can you have major league teams drooling over J.D. Drew who won't play with a hangnail and them Albert Pujols sticking around to the 13th round. In fact, Pujols didn't attract college scouts either.

Atreyu

I've seen him in more than one mock draft going to Orlando.
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

bolo1010

A-Town Hog Fan

When I saw that I was shocked, but as they showed the top 25 I realized how weak this draft is.  Not much difference between #1 and #15, no real franchise builders in the draft.
Lord help us all!

DirectorM

Yeah I was looking at the players in the draft and I can't see a first team all NBA player in this draft.  Very few all stars.  Just a bunch of really good role players.  There are a lot of guys in this draft like a Josh Howard.  Good in college and will do good in the NBA, but not be great.

dana caldwell

that is surprising. more so: i think tyus thomas is something, but saw him going third in a mock draft. this is a pretty weak list.

RebelHawg

Last night on SportsCenter Andy Katz or however you spell his name had Ronnie going 14th to the Jazz

oswilliams

Whichever way you look at, 4 or top 20, Brewer is gone and thats too bad because we would have had a very stacked team next season.

4th and 1

ronnie wont score 20 a game next year...and if you think that then you probably assume he's going to be rookie of the year.

4th and 1

I think he'd make more if he waited a year...better team coming...more role players.

yraciv

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 23, 2006, 06:36:38 pm

My point is that if a player like Josh Howard or Ronnie Brewer was on the Utah Jazz, not a single one of us would know who he is.

Actually you might not know him, seeing as you thought lottery picks were supposed to average 15 points in their first year. Myself and fans with more knowledge woud probably realize this.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: yraciv on May 24, 2006, 11:01:37 am
Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 23, 2006, 06:36:38 pm

Actually you might not know him, seeing as you thought lottery picks were supposed to average 15 points in their first year. Myself and fans with more knowledge woud probably realize this.

I hope their not supposed to average 15 their first year, cuz not only will RB not hit that in his rookie year, he will be lucky to ever avg 10 for a whole year. In his career. 

HouTxRzbck

MSNBC has him going to the Rockets at #8.  That would be good for me.  But I don't want him to leave UA.  I would be able to watch him if he comes to H-Town.  If he sees that he going in the lottery numbers then he is definitely gone!!  Hope I'm wrong!!
"Do you do drugs Danny...?"

"...Every Day"

"So what's the problem...?"

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: yracivMyself and fans with more knowledge woud probably realize this.

Thanks, Coach K.

I'll remember that when the Jazz draft him and we never hear from him again.

oswilliams

Most of you are a bunch of haters. Ronnie was a great player at arkansas and will be a solid player in the NBA. I wonder if there were some folks who thought Joe Johnson would never score much in the NBA. Seemed to turn out ok for him. I would love to take bets on whether Ronnie will average 10 per game at some point in his pro career. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he averaged 10 ppg, 2-3 steals, and 6 reb a game next year. What is it about bashing our own players. Tyrus Thomas is getting more love then our own RB who helped turn the razorbacks into a competitive team again in the SEC. You guys would rather talk up high school recruits who haven't even proven themselves on the college level. Good luck Brewer.

return2glory

Quote from: 4th and 1 on May 24, 2006, 10:57:28 am
I think he'd make more if he waited a year...better team coming...more role players.

He wouldn't make more. It's not like his potential is going to bud over the next year. As noted above, the NBA drafts ALMOST exclusively on potential. Brewer is making the right choice by leaving.

As far as projecting his career numbers, he won't be an all-star, but he could be a solid player on a good team. I don't think he will ever be any better than the number 3 option for a good team. He'd be a number 2 guy on a pretty bad team. If a team expects him to be their best player....well let's just say they will probably get someone better the next year when they have a top 5 pick for that years lottery.

I would expect Brewer to avg around 8-9 ppg, 3 rpg, almost 3 apg, and probably a little over 1 steal per game as a rookie.

Pretty solid numbers. He'll definitely be in the league for a while, but won't ever be an all star or premier player.

All that being said, if Brewer doesn't hear his name called before JJ Reddick on draft day, I will be very surprised.

Boner

nwarazfan

Points will not be where RB has the most impact on games in the NBA.  I keep reading that he won't avg this and never score this much. He'll be a better pro than college player.  We only saw glimpses of what he could do as far as taking games over in different areas while here.

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: Brutalis on May 23, 2006, 06:05:05 pm

I have an Idea,  Lets see who's "ignant" as you put it.  Next year we will compare salaries.  Your salary to RB's.  I bet I can guess who will look ignant then.  YOU ARE A MORON
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: oswilliams on May 24, 2006, 11:18:30 am
Most of you are a bunch of haters.
No, most of us are realistic about pro basketball.
Ronnie was a great player at arkansas and will be a solid player in the NBA.
Great is a gross overstatement.  Good, yes.  The best on a horrible team, yes.  Great, no. 
I would love to take bets on whether Ronnie will average 10 per game at some point in his pro career. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he averaged 10 ppg, 2-3 steals, and 6 reb a game next year.
I will cover that bet.  Any amount, any time.  With numbers like that, he would be ROY.  Won't happen.  Let me know how much.