Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 Annuals

Started by GusMcRae, December 07, 2015, 03:18:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

Not sure why the WPF board has been so dead, but I'll attempt to get a little activity going on.

Got through my owner assist annual on the 182 without too many squawks to deal with, and kept it under a grand.

My soft baffling material has probably not really served it's purpose since I've owned the plane.  Did not spend the $1,500 + for entire new baffling, just bought a 13 ft roll of material from McFarlane and used almost every bit of it.  Removing old staples to get the old material off was the most difficult part.  Those fastening staples were tough, not very pliable at all.  Drilled holes and rivited on the new material. 

My tow bolt (that also holds the front yoke on) evidently was bent the last time I was at KSAT.  Replaced that, nothing else was damaged from whatever happened to it.   
Removed an old ADF and an old NARCO antenae, one needed a fabricated plate to cover the hole. 
Had never really thought much about the location of the CHT gauge probe, it was on the left front cylinder, moved it to the back right cylinder (the old problem #1 cyl), and what used to be a barely noticable movement off of far left deflection on the gauge, now pegs the needle when I land.  In cruise it is about half way between straight up and the caution mark.  That cylinder seems to get way too hot, wondering if that is the root of all the problems I've had with it.  It has the Lowest compression  of all and it only has about 450 hours on it.  Really need an engine monitor.
Back seat where it bolts in on the front of the seat, both sides, having to have some new bolt holes fabricated.  Thin aluminum piece with bolt holes are both broken off. 

Made the one trip with no passengers in the back seat after the annual, that's when I saw the difference in the CHT gauge after moving the probe.   Was about to make another trip about a week ago and picked up a screw in the front tire on the taxiway.   Had to be towed while I sat on the horizontal stabilizer to keep the weight off the front tire.  Haven't fixed the flat yet.  Not sure if I will need a new tire or not.

The 150 may or may not get done in December. 
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

bvillepig

Gus I check here daily and always look forward to seeing what is new. I have not had much that I could add lately but will try to get something started.

GusMcRae

MX is done with the 150, other than we have to replace the beacon switch, and I have to replace all the plates, seats, and cowling so that he can follow me up to inspect my work.  Very minor squawks on this annual, but it wasn't flown much the past year.
Compressions were all in the 70s this time on a cold check.  Last year's annual revealed 1 cylinder's compression was so low on the first check, that I flew the plane and checked it hot just to get it to pass inspection. 

My back seat on the 182 is repaired now and re-installing it today, will be flying tomorrow.  Already fixed the flat.
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

Flying Razorback

I bet too many of us have been doing too much work and not enough flying!  That's been my case for what feels like the past 6 months.

Good to hear you didn't have a repeat of the compression problems from last year.  It's terrible when you start chasing numbers and can't find a good, solid root cause.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

HawgPilot

We got ours back after almost 2.5 months.  Never, again I repeat NEVER take your aircraft to Texas Aero in Addison, some guy named Juan Oviedo.  He charged us just over $75k on our 414.  Poor communication, nit picked everything on the aircraft  He is a piece of work....

bvillepig

Wow.  Thanks for the heads up.

Warbirdhog

Quote from: HawgPilot on December 20, 2015, 10:13:05 am
We got ours back after almost 2.5 months.  Never, again I repeat NEVER take your aircraft to Texas Aero in Addison, some guy named Juan Oviedo.  He charged us just over $75k on our 414.  Poor communication, nit picked everything on the aircraft  He is a piece of work....

Did they not perform an initial inspection then send you a squawk list to go over and approve? Unless it is an owner squawk they want fixed we do not do any work beyond opening up and inspecting IAW either  aircraft manufacture FAA approved inspection list, FAR43 appendix D or both. We write up a squawk list of airworthy & non-airworthy related items / costs to repair and go over it with the owner before touching anything. Although we are mainly a warbird shop this would also hold true if we were involved in GA. While I am not a big fan of 'owner assisted' annuals this sounds like one time someone should have been there keeping an eye on them.

gotyacovered

my annual was nice this year, of course, after new engine/prop at last annual--it should be. mine was roughly $1736 and that was with no owner deferrals and a new nose tire that was +/-$240!
You are what you tolerate.