Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any LSA pilots here?

Started by kodiakisland, January 10, 2015, 09:07:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodiakisland

All I've ever wanted to do as a pilot is putz around and not really go anywhere.  I used to have these grand illusions of being a bush pilot flying into all kinds of wilderness areas for hunting, fishing, etc.  After a few years of lots of flying with the guys who do that for a living, I realized I had no business doing that. 

It's certainly cheap enough to buy an old 152 and putz around with a PPL, but I wonder if anyone is getting a SPC just to buy a new cub for $150K+ just to putz around.  I'd love to have one of these new cubs, American Legend, cubcrafters, etc., but the price.  Almost all these LSA are well over $100K for mostly just a hobby plane.

Anybody on here just flying LSAs?  Would love to hear from some owners of the newer cubs.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

gotyacovered

Older lsa eligible like the cub you mentioned or an acro 150 or something... Yes! One of these newer high dollar LSA's no way... If I lose my medical before expected I'm getting an off shore fishing boat... Glutton for punishment... Yes!

I've only been next to the carbon cubs, they are really sweet... though.
You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

It's all relative. Friend of mine used to keep his C210 at Addison, now Denton, he says there are rich corporate guys at both fields that have bought brand new Cirrus airplanes just to come out and drone around in on the weekends, like that's their Corvette. 

More $ than brains IMO.

The Cubs are sweet, but a guy can get into an old original and sink a crapload of money into avionics and whatever way cheaper than buying one of the new carbon cubs.

I don't think I would ever want to put together a kit plane myself.  As many planes that are just sitting around in their hangars going to waste, and as soft as the market is, I think that's where the value is, although you do still have to shop smart to make sure you don't wind up with someone else's problem. 

There's a pretty decent early 70's C-150 at my home base, no radio or even a transponder, but good engine and airfraime, both fairly low times, that could be owned for $12,000.  It is fresh out of annual.  The owner bought it to take lessons in and just never could commit time to go for it. 
A guy wouldn't have to put much into the panel if all he wanted to do was drone around, like a used radio and transponder and an iPad dock.
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

Pistol Pete

Maybe not exactly on topic, but years ago there was a guy in Conway that had a taildragger C-150, 150HP. He had some type of aviation shop next to the airport, a chain link fenced lot maybe 200 feet long... He'd take off in that lot. Never landed there though.
He could point the nose nearly straight up without stalling. Very, very impressive! I'd love to have some type of STOL aircraft.

PEtrader

Quote from: Pistol Pete on January 13, 2015, 01:12:45 pm
Maybe not exactly on topic, but years ago there was a guy in Conway that had a taildragger C-150, 150HP. He had some type of aviation shop next to the airport, a chain link fenced lot maybe 200 feet long... He'd take off in that lot. Never landed there though.
He could point the nose nearly straight up without stalling. Very, very impressive! I'd love to have some type of STOL aircraft.

I remember that,  I grew up next to the airport.   That guy has/had an awesome shop.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

theFlyingHog

I have tried to do a power-on stall in a 172rg. Pitch got high enough I just had to let it back down

kodiakisland

Hate to dredge up such an old thread, but I've been looking into a buying again and wonder if anyone here has had anymore experience with the LSA aircraft since I asked last.

What I'm currently looking at are some nicely restored J3s or a used CubCrafter sport cub S2.

Again, I have no use or need for one other than the fun of flying.  I still can't justify the expense other than I want one.  I guess it's no different than buying a restored muscle car to sit in the garage most of the time.

Just wondering if anyone in the NWA area owns or is flying any of the J-3 variants and what your thoughts are of ownership.

Thanks
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/