Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Red River via KRTN

Started by gotyacovered, February 26, 2013, 03:34:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

whats up all?

just got a chance to catch my breath and post about my trip. went off great with one minor hitch.

left last Tuesday about 15:00, stopped at KTXK and picked up my wife, then --> KHHF --> KRTN. Arrived about 20:40. all went very well. it was spooky flying into the western side of the desert like conditions in eastern NM--with the last 40nm having terra firma to avoid. lot of lights behind us, and not many in front. with sector altitudes direct from m18 ranging from 7100msl-9200msl for the last 40nm and the fact it KRTN sits in between the southern rockies and the Capulin volcano i vectored myself south around all the rapidly rising terrain. never saw any red on the terrain overlay on my 696. no flightaware track for the way there. see pic below for routing.

The trip home was...interesting. had some problems getting 653 started, she was being cold blooded, so i thought. turns out i over primed. we spent about 2 hours at the airport before departure and as you can see by my flightaware track, it was almost too much. the low pressure trough with a warm front/stationary front south and the imposing winter storm from the north allowed for a narrow escape. but it was easily done and i was able to fly about 60nm at 9500msl with ~11k ceilings, which eventually gave way to blue skis. came back non-stop, took almost exactly 5 hours, including the stop at KTXK to pick up my wifes car.
Trip home: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N42653

b/c of darkness and routing i didnt take any good flying pics, but what i did take are below.

this is how my kids spent the ~5hours back home. Carter on his ipad and Liz doing what she does best, nap.  :)

this is the view out of out condo... and not a great pic, but it snowed ~20 inches while we were there.

my favorite run... and the only double black on the mountain, and my 10 year old:

good named run here;D

morning after our first 8 inches of snow:

quick story... i am a daredevil, so to speak and my son, is as well... we are very much alike. this terrain park is exactly the same as last year. towards the end of the trip (last year) he never once landed this jump. he would hit it too slow and land on top of the flat ground, and fall each time. he would either lean to far back, or too far forward, but he never really had enough speed to pull it off. to speak conservatively, he had the speed this year, poled all the way to the jump, and completely surpassed the landing area, hit the flat ground and ate it... 

You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

I had been wondering if you had to delay the trip out, or leave early, or just how it all worked out.  I knew there were some wx issues to deal with the last week or so because of my buddy with the C-210 getting stranded in KLIT area, as well as what we've had here and west of here the past 2 days.
Glad it all worked out, and it sounds like you must've hit the windows of opportunity just right for it to have worked out. 
Cranking the engine when it's about 28 degrees or colder is always a little tricky for my 182.
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 26, 2013, 04:06:41 pm
I had been wondering if you had to delay the trip out, or leave early, or just how it all worked out.  I knew there were some wx issues to deal with the last week or so because of my buddy with the C-210 getting stranded in KLIT area, as well as what we've had here and west of here the past 2 days.
Glad it all worked out, and it sounds like you must've hit the windows of opportunity just right for it to have worked out. 
Cranking the engine when it's about 28 degrees or colder is always a little tricky for my 182.

we expedited our departure, we originally intended on leaving last Wednesday, but left Tuesday PM and just got lucky Sunday. if i didnt have the issues getting her started i would have made it with time to spare. but you nailed it on the head re: windows of opportunity. luck counts ;D

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on February 26, 2013, 04:18:53 pm
we expedited our departure, we originally intended on leaving last Wednesday, but left Tuesday PM and just got lucky Sunday. if i didnt have the issues getting her started i would have made it with time to spare. but you nailed it on the head re: windows of opportunity. luck counts ;D

Looked like you had a good tail wind coming home.  That's always nice!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 26, 2013, 04:21:25 pm
Looked like you had a good tail wind coming home.  That's always nice!

believe it or not... nope. averaged about 127ktas there and about 133ktas back. i was disappointed.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on February 26, 2013, 04:27:15 pm
believe it or not... nope. averaged about 127ktas there and about 133ktas back. i was disappointed.

I'll take 133 in our rigs just about any day.  I've seen too many of those 107 days to complain about a 127 or 133.

When my friend finally got out of KLIT last Friday (arrived there on Wednesday and were stuck there all day long Thursday), they were bucking 40kt headwinds most of the way home.  Check out his speed on that trip, in a C210!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N210AB/history/20130222/1400Z/KLIT/KDAL/tracklog

The last 1/4 of the trip or so he finally started hitting 128. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 26, 2013, 04:52:43 pm
I'll take 133 in our rigs just about any day.  I've seen too many of those 107 days to complain about a 127 or 133.

When my friend finally got out of KLIT last Friday (arrived there on Wednesday and were stuck there all day long Thursday), they were bucking 40kt headwinds most of the way home.  Check out his speed on that trip, in a C210!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N210AB/history/20130222/1400Z/KLIT/KDAL/tracklog

The last 1/4 of the trip or so he finally started hitting 128. 

LOL...

towards the end of my trip TO KRTN when i went southerly to go around the terrain, i was flying directly into it and was getting about 107ktas for about 30nm. it was miserable.

i plan on 130kts and get 126-132 very regularly. i tested the waters at 11.5 on the way back and lost about 5kts.

Hankweb

Uh oh! Full rich at startup?

Pistol Pete

What's the name of the ski resort? Where is it located?

Pistol Pete

Quote from: Pistol Pete on March 01, 2013, 10:21:39 pm
What's the name of the ski resort? Where is it located?

I found it...

gotyacovered

Quote from: Hankweb on March 01, 2013, 05:35:16 pm
Uh oh! Full rich at startup?

No...maybe not lean enough, but I had it out...

gotyacovered

Quote from: Pistol Pete on March 02, 2013, 07:33:54 am
I found it...

Good deal, sorry for the delayed response. It's 45-hour drive from Raton. Great spot, especially for kids.

Pistol Pete

Quote from: gotyacovered on March 02, 2013, 03:00:21 pm
Good deal, sorry for the delayed response. It's 45-hour drive from Raton. Great spot, especially for kids.

Thanks, the drive time from Raton is what I was trying to figure out. It does look like a great spot. It appears that you can get there without oxygen!!! lol.

My inlaws have a cabin fairly close to Breckenridge. I don't think I'd ever try to get my little plane anywhere near there. First of all, it doesn't have enough power, second, I don't think I want to fly where oxygen is needed... just yet.

GusMcRae

Reviving this old thread to share pics of our trip to same destination via the same airport back in Early July.
It's just under a 3 hour flight in a 182.  Was crowding max useful when we departed home base.  Backed off on fuel for the trip home.
Not as intimidating to land there for the first time as it was or still is for me at Ruidoso (KSRR).  KSRR sits up on a plateau, surrounded by ravenous terrain.

GusMcRae

Few more pics.

Other than this trip, it's just been the normal trips for me, nothing out of the ordinary.

Have a few coming up, Ruidoso labor day weekend, and again in early October, and trying to plan for a trip to Aggieland for a ballgame.