Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

College Football Live just completely snubbed Austin Allen....

Started by hobhog, August 16, 2017, 04:29:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

Said USCe probably had best QB in Sec, with UGA and AU close behind him. No mention of AA.

We are certainly flying under the radar so far, which is good IMO, but good grief how can they ignore a 5th year QB that led several categories last year?

Arkansas Fan

Their leaving off AA is one thing, but they're really hyping up that Jarrett Stidham guy when he's not play a down in the SEC.

I hope AA gets pissed and goes off this season.

widespreadsooie

They mentioned Eason and Bently before not only Austin, but Hurts and Fitzgerald? Amazing.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Andrew Hogfan

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on August 16, 2017, 04:33:08 pm
Their leaving off AA is one thing, but they're really hyping up that Jarrett Stidham guy when he's not play a down in the SEC.

I hope AA gets pissed and goes off this season.
I'm sick of the Stidham love.  What has he done at AU...  Nothing.  Not a damn thing.  I hope he crashes and burns.  And I hope Gus waits too long to pull him and their season tanks....  I hate AU.  Hate em even more with Gus there.
WPS!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hobhog on August 16, 2017, 04:29:38 pm
Said USCe probably had best QB in Sec, with UGA and AU close behind him. No mention of AA.

We are certainly flying under the radar so far, which is good IMO, but good grief how can they ignore a 5th year QB that led several categories last year?

No big deal. A few months back Athlon had Austin Allen as the 14th best QB in the country. Other sites may not be listing Allen as one of the best in the country because so few sites recognize him as being a future NFL Draft Choice?

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-25-quarterbacks-2017
Go Hogs Go!

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on August 16, 2017, 05:24:58 pm
I'm sick of the Stidham love.  What has he done at AU...  Nothing.  Not a damn thing.  I hope he crashes and burns.  And I hope Gus waits too long to pull him and their season tanks....  I hate AU.  Hate em even more with Gus there.

When expectations are high in Auburn, it normally doesn't end well.

parallaxpig

Quote from: widespreadsooie on August 16, 2017, 05:38:49 pm
When expectations are high in Auburn, it normally doesn't end well.

Setting Gus Bus up for a derailment..........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

GoHogzzGo

Ditto I just don't get it.

Can't wait for AA to prove everyone incredibly wrong. Or I sure hope at least lol.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

hogcard1964

Quote from: hobhog on August 16, 2017, 04:29:38 pm

My God, he's clearly the best QB in the SEC and its not really close.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 16, 2017, 05:53:32 pm
My God, he's clearly the best QB in the SEC and its not really close.
I certainly will agree with you on this, first team all SEC, even all America honors are realistic possibilities for AA this season.  Not sure what these nimrods were thinking who left him off their puny little list, but maybe they're in the wrong line of work.

HamSammich

Got to win SEC games to be taken seriously guys. sorry for truth B slapping us all.

MuskogeeHogFan

August 16, 2017, 06:36:36 pm #12 Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:50:59 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
They are going by QBR for the most part. What hurt Allen was his INT's last year. That can change as the season progresses. If you look at some of the P-5 schools with returning QB's for 2017 and go strictly by those that played in at least 11 games last season and by their QBR's over those games, here is how they rank heading into this season.

That said, Austin Allen should be at least #4 in the SEC.

2016 QBR
1   Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma (Big 12)               91.8
2   Sam Darnold, USC (Pac 12)                        86.2
3   Lamar Jackson, Louisville (ACC)                   84.8
4   Jake Browning, Washington (Pac 12)            81.3
5   Deondre Francois, Florida St (ACC)              78.4
6   Nick Fitzgerald, Mississippi St. (SEC)            77.4
7   Mason Rudolph, Okla State (Big 12)             75.7
8   Jesse Ertz, Kansas St. (Big 12)                   75.6
9   Danny Etling, LSU (SEC)                            74.7
10   Luke Falk, Washington St (Pac 12)             72.0
11   Sean White, Auburn (SEC)                        71.4
12   J.T. Barrett, Ohio St. (Big Ten)                  70.5
13   Austin Allen, Arkansas, (SEC)                    69.9
14   Jalen Hurts, Alabama (SEC)                       68.4
15   Kenny Hill, TCU (Big 12)                            61.7
15   Joel Lanning, Iowa St. (Big 12)                   61.7
17   Drew Lock, Missouri, (SEC)                        56.0
18   Shane Buechele, Texas (Big 12)                  54.3
19   John Wolford, Wake Forest (ACC)                52.9
Go Hogs Go!

Andrew Hogfan

South Carolina had zero quality sec wins.  They beat vandy by 3 Tenn by 3 and mizzo by 10. Mizzo and Tenn suck.  I realize we choked away the mizzo game but Scar sucks.  We will beat them this year.  Heck I wish they were still our  yearly east opponent.  Usually a W
WPS!!!

southeasthog

Quote from: HamSammich on August 16, 2017, 06:15:04 pm
Got to win SEC games to be taken seriously guys. sorry for truth B slapping us all.
How many SEC games has USCe and Auburns QB won?

hobhog

Like USCe?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 16, 2017, 06:36:36 pm
They are going by QBR for the most part. What hurt Allen was his INT's last year. That can change as the season progresses. If you look at some of the P-5 schools with returning QB's for 2017 and go strictly by those that played in at least 11 games last season and by their QBR's over those games, here is how they rank heading into this season.

That said, Austin Allen should be at least #4 in the SEC.

2016 QBR
1   Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma (Big 12)               91.8
2   Sam Darnold, USC (Pac 12)                        86.2
3   Lamar Jackson, Louisville (ACC)                   84.8
4   Jake Browning, Washington (Pac 12)            81.3
5   Deondre Francois, Florida St (ACC)              78.4
6   Nick Fitzgerald, Mississippi St. (SEC)            77.4
7   Mason Rudolph, Okla State (Big 12)             75.7
8   Jesse Ertz, Kansas St. (Big 12)                   75.6
9   Danny Etling, LSU (SEC)                            74.7
10   Luke Falk, Washington St (Pac 12)             72.0
11   Sean White, Auburn (SEC)                        71.4
12   J.T. Barrett, Ohio St. (Big Ten)                  70.5
13   Austin Allen, Arkansas, (SEC)                    69.9
14   Jalen Hurts, Alabama (SEC)                       68.4
15   Kenny Hill, TCU (Big 12)                            61.7
15   Joel Lanning, Iowa St. (Big 12)                   61.7
17   Drew Lock, Missouri, (SEC)                        56.0
18   Shane Buechele, Texas (Big 12)                  54.3
19   John Wolford, Wake Forest (ACC)                52.9

Obviously QBR is the clearest barometer of talent. I mean, who would not rather have Sean White than Allen?

(Not a shot at you)
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

MuskogeeHogFan

August 16, 2017, 07:06:00 pm #17 Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:16:25 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 16, 2017, 07:01:23 pm
Obviously QBR is the clearest barometer of talent. I mean, who would not rather have Sean White than Allen?

(Not a shot at you)

No offense taken, they do have some crazy measures that they use. If I were a sportswriter I wouldn't have the guts to highly rank a player like Jarrett Stidham at Auburn, who only had 3 starts at Baylor (but played sparingly in the 7 others...mop up) and was hurt in 2 of the 3 that he started and I believe, lost two of the three that he started. Now the kid apparently has a really good arm from all reports, but he hasn't seen enough action in college to rate him so highly. That's a projection pulled straight out of their arses. At least Sean White has seen numerable games of experience in the SEC.

And as I mentioned above, what hurt Allen in terms of his QBR was so many INT's late in the season. Allen averaged throwing 1 INT in every 26.7 pass attempts by the end of the bowl season, I think that was the worst in the SEC, but I might be wrong. In comparison, Sean White threw 1 INT in every 69.3 pass attempts. You can see how that would damage a players ranking.
Go Hogs Go!

IMABIELEMA

It's just anybody's opinion.  AA, Stidham,  & Bently are the cream of the crop of the SEC.   Will be a fun season to watch.

IMABIELEMA

It's not healthy to have that much hate.

We have the unlucky task of facing 5 of those QBs in the 19 highest ranked QBR during our regular season.  I think Allen is overlooked by what happened last season.  Great QBs don't get their team to halftime with huge leads and then blow it in the second half.  QBs get too much credit for winning and too much blame for losing but that goes with the position.

colbs

USC-E hasn't been winning games.

HamSammich

Guys I'm not looking for a fight because frankly I don't care. But the two games we blew last year hurt all the preseason hype we would have got. We reap what we sow. In every facet of life.

HamSammich

Quote from: colbs on August 16, 2017, 09:15:10 pm
USC-E hasn't been winning games.

I can't speak for south caddilacy... well I could because I get it. But I can speak to why the hogs are being snubbed in the preseason.

Headhog32

let this be motivation for AA and hopefully at the end of the season we can look back and laugh in there faces for shaming/ looking down on us

hogcard1964

Quote from: HamSammich on August 16, 2017, 09:15:24 pm
Guys I'm not looking for a fight because frankly I don't care. But the two games we blew last year hurt all the preseason hype we would have got. We reap what we sow. In every facet of life.

That may be true, but as far as individual recognition goes, I don't know how anyone can look at him and the rest of the league and not realize he's far and away the best QB in the league.

I do think the kid from Mizzou will also be a really good one.

mizzouman

Not being a homer here but Drew Lock has the best QB skills in the SEC from a pure ability standpoint. 

lstewart

I think some of the national media have a tendency to underrate Austin, while I think some Hog fans have a tendency to overrate. him. Austin has the tools to be an elite quarterback if things go well, he has protection, our receivers perform, and we have a good season. If the team struggles, Austin will be out there fighting, doing all he can, taking chances, and probably again throwing too many interceptions. He has some Brett Favre in him, where he is going to try to do all he can to win, and it can be really good, or really bad if the team is not performing. Our fans have a tendency to just focus on the positive elements, while some of the national media just focus on the negative. The truth is somewhere in the middle. I don't see any reason if the team plays respectable that Austin should not have a very good year.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dominicanhog

mizzouman

Quote from: lstewart on August 17, 2017, 08:58:50 am
Austin has the tools to be an elite quarterback if things go well, he has protection, our receivers perform, and we have a good season.
This can be said about several QB's.

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Youngsta71701

Quote from: mizzouman on August 17, 2017, 08:37:21 am
Not being a homer here but Drew Lock has the best QB skills in the SEC from a pure ability standpoint.
Of course your not being a homer... ;) And us Hog fans aren't bias either... ;)
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Dominicanhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 17, 2017, 09:01:50 am
Just win more games.

AA, CBB and Hogs are all being seen thru the prism of our last 2 games... it's the taste we left in everyone's mouth and until it's gone...

mizzouman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 17, 2017, 09:06:33 am
Of course your not being a homer... ;) And us Hog fans aren't bias either... ;)
Yeah, in all honesty, I tried to call it like it is despite some sarcasm sometimes.

For example, not sure how good Crockett is.  Is he a top 25 RB in the country?  I don't think so based on what I saw last year.  He's good, but he's got a long way to go. 

Seriously on Lock, he has the best pure skills at QB in the SEC.  How that translates to wins/losses, I don't know.  But the guy is a stud. 

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: mizzouman on August 17, 2017, 09:30:19 am
Yeah, in all honesty, I tried to call it like it is despite some sarcasm sometimes.

For example, not sure how good Crockett is.  Is he a top 25 RB in the country?  I don't think so based on what I saw last year.  He's good, but he's got a long way to go. 

Seriously on Lock, he has the best pure skills at QB in the SEC.  How that translates to wins/losses, I don't know.  But the guy is a stud. 

Lock is really good. It is known.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 12247 on August 16, 2017, 09:14:48 pm
We have the unlucky task of facing 5 of those QBs in the 19 highest ranked QBR during our regular season.  I think Allen is overlooked by what happened last season.  Great QBs don't get their team to halftime with huge leads and then blow it in the second half.  QBs get too much credit for winning and too much blame for losing but that goes with the position.
True; however, you obviously blame AA for much of our second half woes last year. IF as you say QBs get too much credit/blame on the outcome of the game, then your "Great QBs don't get their team to halftime with huge leads and then blow it in the second half" makes totally NO sense whatsoever. Then again, how come I'm NOT in the least bit shocked ??? ::) :-X

onebadrubi

He's in a system to spread the field and sling it around.  This makes QB's look better, but they struggle when growing and getting to the next level. 

31to6

Every year the "best QB in the SEC" is whichever guy AU just transferred in.

Sometimes Gus strikes gold, and sometimes he strikes out.

When does someone point out that he hasn't successfully developed a QB in his entire college coaching career and that his luck will eventually run out?

twistitup

Poor lil Arkansas

Winning solves everything - now go get some W's

FINISH
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

31to6

AA compares very favorably so their attributes as a passing QB are very comparable. Drew had a lower completion % and lower efficiency, but he took better care of the ball (AA threw way too many INTs as the season progressed).

What I think we can both agree on is that AA and Drew Lock are, by far, the top 2 returning passers in the SEC. They both threw for 3400 yards and 25+ TDs, with passer ratings over 145.

The next 3 returning QB's all passed for 1000 less yards, with fewer TDs and worse passing efficiency.

If, you know, we use *data and facts* instead of hype and projection.

hogsanity

Quote from: twistitup on August 17, 2017, 11:36:32 am
Poor lil Arkansas

Winning solves everything - now go get some W's

FINISH

This will just be one of many threads on how the Hogs as a program or individual players got snubbed somehow.

The thing about AA is he is not flashy, is not going to do alot with his feet other than hopefully not get killed, is not going to throw 50 times a game. What he is going to be is a nice steady hand, throw for around 2700 to 3k yards. Sadly that does not move the needle among the qb crowd anymore. What I suspect it will do is make him some money the next few years, just like his brother. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

twistitup

Quote from: hogsanity on August 17, 2017, 11:39:06 am
This will just be one of many threads on how the Hogs as a program or individual players got snubbed somehow.

True - I don't like it....if we don't want to be forgotten about we need to play good football - everybody saw the end of last season
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Youngsta71701

No doubt he's a rare talent when it comes to arm talent. Question is does he have enough around him. Seriously he makes some of those throws look effortless. Especially the ones against us. His arm talent reminds me of Jay Cutler. Let's just hope his decision making is a little bit better. For his sake.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 17, 2017, 10:18:11 am
True; however, you obviously blame AA for much of our second half woes last year. IF as you say QBs get too much credit/blame on the outcome of the game, then your "Great QBs don't get their team to halftime with huge leads and then blow it in the second half" makes totally NO sense whatsoever. Then again, how come I'm NOT in the least bit shocked ??? ::) :-X
He did throw some ill advised picks in the 2nd half of the Missouri game and the 2nd half of the Virginia Tech game that were very untimely and costly. Just saying. Hopefully he learns from those mistakes and doesn't repeat em. Carry on.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on August 17, 2017, 11:39:06 am

The thing about AA is he is not flashy, is not going to do alot with his feet other than hopefully not get killed, is not going to throw 50 times a game. What he is going to be is a nice steady hand, throw for around 2700 to 3k yards. Sadly that does not move the needle among the qb crowd anymore. What I suspect it will do is make him some money the next few years, just like his brother.
So your saying he's the Troy Aikman type? I can agree with that. He's not necessarily what you would call a gunslinger but he can sling it if need be. I think BA was the same way with a little more athleticism.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: twistitup on August 17, 2017, 11:40:56 am
True - I don't like it....if we don't want to be forgotten about we need to play good football - everybody saw the end of last season
Yep, that was a bad way to go into the offseason. Can't wait to get that taste out of my mouth. Come on August 31st.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 17, 2017, 12:18:00 pm
So your saying he's the Troy Aikman type? I can agree with that. He's not necessarily what you would call a gunslinger but he can sling it if need be. I think BA was the same way with a little more athleticism.

He is a pro style QB on a small market team in an era of college football that is in love with Qb's who run all over the field, & throw 50 bubble screens every game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

onebadrubi

Quote from: 31to6 on August 17, 2017, 11:31:44 am
Every year the "best QB in the SEC" is whichever guy AU just transferred in.

Sometimes Gus strikes gold, and sometimes he strikes out.

When does someone point out that he hasn't successfully developed a QB in his entire college coaching career and that his luck will eventually run out?

When did Gus strike gold?  Cam?  That wasn't under Gus, that was under Cheeznuts who had a booster purchase him.  Although, I think stidham is probably the highest touted gus has had yet, I hope he flames out like the rest.

Cure

Doesn't matter, people know what they're getting in AA and it shows on the tape.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.