Matt Clinkscales...

Started by dmhog v2.0, January 17, 2006, 06:19:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dmhog v2.0

Shag66

confirmed?

Anyone have any info on Brent Phillips?

labb

Don't know about Matt, but UCA running back Willie Hopson has transfered to OBU.

dmhog v2.0

Have no link, but it is confirmed.

RazorDrummer

I have not seen Matt Clinkscales play, but my younger brother who was a walkon fullback with the Razorbacks in the early 90's has said that Clinkscales was as hard a working running back he has seen in high school.  Might have been a good one the Hogs could have used even with a powerful stable of running backs already on campus.  Did the Hogs not have an offer to give to him?  I know everyone is overwhelmed with the S5 already, but sounds to me like there was a 6th...
www.oreoblue.com (My Band)
www.theuncrownedkings.com (My other band)
www.honeyjackband.com (the new band 2016)
www.nwamsbl.com (Play Baseball in NWArkansas)
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

WILL CLINTON

I was under the impression that he was offered a schollie. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

bighog1015

i dont blame matt for not going to arkansas. hed have to be behind D-mac and felix jones. there is so much more opprotunity at UCA.

HawgnDos

The funny thing is Matt had a scholie offer to ASU and accepted one to UCA!  You gotta love it!

blkynarkfan

Clinkscales was not offered a schollie from Arkansas!!!

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: blkynarkfan on January 17, 2006, 11:08:35 pm
Clinkscales was not offered a schollie from Arkansas!!!

That is why I said i was under the impression, not he had been.  Calm down and take a valium.

slaughts3

i was hoping he would go to ASU, but now that UCA doesnt play Tech anymore that will work for me. 

good pick up for DA BEARS

chiefsfan

Quote from: HawgnDos on January 17, 2006, 10:26:47 pm
The funny thing is Matt had a scholie offer to ASU and accepted one to UCA! You gotta love it!

WRONG.   ASU withdrew their schollie offer, he wanted to play RB and we wanted him at Strong Safety...  he held out too long, and we withdrew the offer

Tulsa showed him some interest but never offered.   No one else offered him a schollie...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: slaughts3 on January 17, 2006, 11:17:57 pm
i was hoping he would go to ASU, but now that UCA doesnt play Tech anymore that will work for me.

good pick up for DA BEARS

i would have loved to have him here.  But when you are limited in the amound of schollies to give out, you cant just wait forever and not commit anymore.  (See ND and MM)
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

blkynarkfan

dubyacee, not trying to be rude, just letting everyone know. i think it would have been a good p/up for u of a if they had schollies to offer.

Ugly Uncle

Good choice by Matt.  UCA will be the number 2 team in the state in the next 5-10 years.  Matt just might get them there quicker than that.

Good job Matt.  God speed.
Retired Radio Host

UCABEARS75

We are very glad to have Matt at UCA where he will be a great fit.  In our offense (1 back spread) the RB's get many carries from scrimmage and catch the ball out of the backfield or get to split out from a no back set.

We have a history recently of freshmen backs having great seasons and Matt may continue that tradition.

Hogs4Ever

Go Bears!  Went to a couple of games last year and they are fun to watch.  Looking forward to them moving up to Div. 1 in five years!   8)

UCABEARS75

No thanks.  We are not interested in the Sun Belt or any other D-I wannabe conference.

D-Iaa is where we fit and where we belong and where we believe we can be very successful (unlike a team in NE Arkansas).

We are fun to watch though and it is a very good brand of football in the SLC and in the GSC for that matter.

WindyCityHog

Clinkscales wants to play RB. 

Good for UCA....I think they got a very underrated RB.

Outside of the Hogs, UCA is the college team I follow from Arkansas.

Go Bears....

UCABEARS75

Kicking Wing

Quote from: uglyuncle on January 18, 2006, 05:35:17 am
Good choice by Matt. UCA will be the number 2 team in the state in the next 5-10 years. Matt just might get them there quicker than that.

Good job Matt. God speed.
You should change your name to "ignorant uncle".  You don't have a clue about college football.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: ImHogginIt on January 18, 2006, 09:52:51 am
Quote from: UCABEARS75 on January 18, 2006, 08:23:49 am
We are very glad to have Matt at UCA where he will be a great fit.  In our offense (1 back spread) the RB's get many carries from scrimmage and catch the ball out of the backfield or get to split out from a no back set.

We have a history recently of freshmen backs having great seasons and Matt may continue that tradition.

The women are hotter at UCA and Conway is much more fun than Jonesboro. Plus, we UCA grads generally are better looking and more intelligent than ASU grads ;D
I would have to disagree with you on that one, Bob.  Conway is pretty much an exact replica of Jonesboro on a ever so slightly smaller scale.  A friend of mine who lives in Conway now after living in LR for a few years and before that JB for several years gives JB the edge.  It's not like either one is a metropolis.  For that matter no town in AR has such a distinction.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: NWAhoops.com on January 18, 2006, 07:10:18 am
Quote from: chiefsfan on January 17, 2006, 11:20:59 pm
Quote from: HawgnDos on January 17, 2006, 10:26:47 pm
The funny thing is Matt had a scholie offer to ASU and accepted one to UCA! You gotta love it!

WRONG. ASU withdrew their schollie offer, he wanted to play RB and we wanted him at Strong Safety... he held out too long, and we withdrew the offer

Tulsa showed him some interest but never offered. No one else offered him a schollie...

Chiefsfan, be careful what you put on here as fact. Matt's offer at ASU was to play LB. During his official visit at ASU Matt was asked if he was ready to commit. Matt said he would make his decision very quickly. (Tulsa asked him to not commit yet and he has an official visit set for Arkansas.) Apparently that miffed the coach and he didn't speak to Matt FOR THE REST OF THE OFFICIAL VISIT!! There's no way ANY player would play for a coach like that. Another player drove several hours for an official visit to ASU after being offered a scholarship. The moment he arrived he was told "we don't have an offer for you!!" Matt chose UCA because they respected him as a player and plugged him in as a freshman starter.
That's not accurate.  About either player.

Matt is going to UCA because recruiting is very fluid and it came down to a matter of timing.

ASU would have been very fortunate to have him, but it didn't work out and that is UCA's gain.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: blkynarkfan on January 17, 2006, 11:35:55 pm
dubyacee, not trying to be rude, just letting everyone know. i think it would have been a good p/up for u of a if they had schollies to offer.

I tend to read exclamation points as yelling, sorry about the confusion. 

Kicking Wing

Quote from: UCABEARS75 on January 18, 2006, 10:48:57 am
No thanks.  We are not interested in the Sun Belt or any other D-I wannabe conference.

D-Iaa is where we fit and where we belong and where we believe we can be very successful (unlike a team in NE Arkansas).

We are fun to watch though and it is a very good brand of football in the SLC and in the GSC for that matter.
I call BS.  You guys will jump if and when ANY D1 conference calls in years to come.  You are smart to concentrate on the Southland at this point though.

Ugly Uncle

Kicker...

Well, I may be ignorant...but this is what I see and believe...

1.  UCA is now the second largest school in the state
2.  UCA has a prettier campus
3.  UCA is in a prettier part of Arkansas
4.  UCA is more centrally located in Arkansas to be able to recruit from more parts of the state.
5.  UCA is progressing.  ASU is stagnant.
6.  While ASU went to a bowl game this year (they do have a good coach) they won't be able to sustain that.  If the coach is that good he will be getting calls from bigger and better schools.  If not, ASU will slip back down.
7.  There is much more money in Central Arkansas than in NE Arkansas.  Money is the key for athletic dept.

I used to attend ASU and lived in Jonesboro for 10 years...I do know the area.  I just think that UCA has too much going for it and ASU doesn't have enough.  It is just an educated guess...but UCA will overtake ASU in athletics in 5-10 years.  Just my opinion.  I think getting Matt will speed that up.

signed,

Ignorant Uncle
Retired Radio Host

UCABEARS75

Let's just put it this way, as an alum and very active supporter at UCA I have supported the move to D-Iaa for several years.  However, I have made it very clear that I think D-Iaa should be our ultimate and final move unless somehow in the future D-I is divided into "BCS" and "non BCS".  In other words, I want us to play at a level where we can compete at a high level.

Because of some of the dynamics involved, location, growth, etc, I very strongly believe we can compete in the SLC and at a national level in D-Iaa pretty quickly.

Nobody outside some 25-40 schools can compete in D-I at a national (BCS) level.

If some lower D-I conference comes calling I will strongly oppose such a move.

Kicking Wing

You may oppose it, but you will be in the minority.  It just makes sense to move up where you will be more visible and the cost is going to be essentially the same.  If only 25-40 schools can compete in D! then something needs to be drastically changed.

pfrg999

Quote from: bighog1015 on January 17, 2006, 09:34:55 pm
i dont blame matt for not going to arkansas. hed have to be behind D-mac and felix jones. there is so much more opprotunity at UCA.

Hell Redshirt the 1st year... Dmac & Jones would be a junior and he would be a RS FreshmanIt would be his show after Dmac goes pro.. (after Jr. Year presumably)
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

UCABEARS75

I may be in the minority but it would not be a silent minority.

With regard to there being something wrong if only 25-40 schools can compete on the BCS level, that may be the case.  However, I believe the facts support my case.

List the number of schools who realistically have a chance to play in the national championship game in D-I football.

Kicking Wing

January 18, 2006, 03:09:15 pm #30 Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 03:11:10 pm by Kicking Wing
Quote from: uglyuncle on January 18, 2006, 02:21:06 pm
Kicker...

Well, I may be ignorant...but this is what I see and believe...

1. UCA is now the second largest school in the state
2. UCA has a prettier campus
3. UCA is in a prettier part of Arkansas
4. UCA is more centrally located in Arkansas to be able to recruit from more parts of the state.
5. UCA is progressing. ASU is stagnant.
6. While ASU went to a bowl game this year (they do have a good coach) they won't be able to sustain that. If the coach is that good he will be getting calls from bigger and better schools. If not, ASU will slip back down.
7. There is much more money in Central Arkansas than in NE Arkansas. Money is the key for athletic dept.

I used to attend ASU and lived in Jonesboro for 10 years...I do know the area. I just think that UCA has too much going for it and ASU doesn't have enough. It is just an educated guess...but UCA will overtake ASU in athletics in 5-10 years. Just my opinion. I think getting Matt will speed that up.

signed,

Ignorant Uncle

1.  Enrollment is irrelevant to athletic success.
2.  I disagree.  I wager that you haven't been to ASU's campus in a while.  You wouldn't recognize it.  I would change the colors, but it's too late for that.  I'd say facility wise tehy are close to even (not athletically of course) but I don't know if UCA is building new residence halls or not.
3.  UCA is CLOSER to a prettier part of Arkansas, but so what?  You think Lubbock and Starkville are sweating UCA?
4.  Maybe, but again, so what?  There is as much talent in eastern as central AR and Memphis and MS more than make up for that.  You aren't going to start stealing D1 recruits at UCA.  You will get the kids that might have considered Tech, UAPB, or an out of state D1AA and that will be a huge benefit.
5.  Really???  Progressing in what way?  I agree that the move to D1AA is great progress, but we made that move a long time ago.  Enrollment?  It has surged, but is still right there with UALR and ASU and as we all know enrollment has little to do with athletic success since they don't recruit from the student body.
6.  That remains to be seen, but is no more of an unknown than how well UCA can compete in the SLC.  Roberts may indeed stay for a long time like the HC at USM or VT or Troy.  I know his wife doesn't want to leave.
7.   Money for who?   There is a lot more money in NE AR than you think.  Central AR has the bulk of it, but do you think people are going to cancel their hog foundation checks and write them to UCA or ASU for that matter?  Heck no.

A certain person from NW AR recently told me he was shocked on his first trip to JB because 90% of what he hears is negative.  He thought it looked just like every town in his neck of the woods.  JB or Conway?  Apple or...... Apple.  Drawing some big distinction is ridiculous and obviously comes from some other bias.

I'll wager you just about anything that your hypothesis about the next 5-10 years will not occur.  It will take that long to become a D1AA contender.  Trust me, I've been there.

Don't hate.

UCABEARS75

I thought ASU competed early and often at the D-Iaa (or whatever it was called) level?

Kicking Wing

Quote from: UCABEARS75 on January 18, 2006, 03:07:49 pm
I may be in the minority but it would not be a silent minority.

With regard to there being something wrong if only 25-40 schools can compete on the BCS level, that may be the case.  However, I believe the facts support my case.

List the number of schools who realistically have a chance to play in the national championship game in D-I football.
There ae probably about as large of a percentage in D1 who have a shot as in the other divisions.  The difference is that there is that slim chance for everyone thanks to the playoffs.  Does that mean that everyone outside those 25 should drop?  Then you would have a ton of D1aa schools who had no shot whatsoever.  Think Furman can compete with Texas Tech, Ole Miss, Louisville, Fesno, etc.?

It's not like ASU didn't compete before moving up.  We were playing for national titles (in the same town BTW although it was half as large).  Playing in D1 gives us more exposure and the crowds are larger even in horrible seasons than they were in the national championship D1AA years.

I know the excitement is high and it should be, but I think you will find that moving up is always a tough transition.  ASU moved a few years too early and made some poor hires and isjust now seeing a slight turn for the better.   It doesn't happen overnight.

mutdog

ASU has more and bigger mosquitos.  I would say that they should be in the top 10 - D1 in mosquitos.  LOL.  BTW, I grew up in Blytheville, never went back.

Ugly Uncle

Kicking...

You make several good points.  While I stand my opinion...I do think you could be right as well.  Again, I am not saying I think I am wrong...but that we just won't know until 2011-2016 season. 

I appreciate respectful dialogue.  I really do hope that all our state schools do well.  Trust me, I would rather ATU do better than UCA (I got my degree from Tech), but we know that won't happen.  So, hope ASU does well, but I just think UCA is moving up quickly.

UCA HAS to change those colors though.  Purple Bears?

Can I go back to calling myself ugly rather than ignorant now?
Retired Radio Host

Kicking Wing

Okay, you can go back.

I just remember the same bold predictions from some of our fans when we moved up.  I think it's a matter of getting caught up in the moment.  It will be fun to have a team in state that we can play though and I imagine in those 5-10 years they will be able to beat us one out of every 7 or 8 years.

UCABEARS75

I too welcome the dialogue.  My opinion is that our move to D-Iaa is much more doeable than ASU's (or anyone's) move to D-I.  Example Troy State, Marshall, etc.

Ugly Uncle

Does UCA still run the wide open offense?  If so, Matt should be perfect for that.  Also, it will put more people in the stands.
Retired Radio Host

Kicking Wing

Quote from: UCABEARS75 on January 18, 2006, 04:13:38 pm
I too welcome the dialogue. My opinion is that our move to D-Iaa is much more doeable than ASU's (or anyone's) move to D-I. Example Troy State, Marshall, etc.
You're entitled to your opinion, but if it wasn't advantageous then I doubt those programs would have moved.

UCABEARS75

I suppose that is where fans (at least fans like me) may differ from administration.  My definition of advantageous is win more games.  If moving up means winning significantly less games then I am against it.

Kicking Wing

Maybe, but do you think Memphis fans would rather move to DII and win the national title every year or be an also-ran in CUSA?

You get a few more wins, but you get smaller crowds, no TV and less prestige.  That is why UCA is moving up.  Don't you think they could stay D2 and win more games than in D1AA?

UCABEARS75

January 18, 2006, 04:48:47 pm #41 Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 04:51:21 pm by UCABEARS75
Actually, no.  I believe, due to location, being the only D-Iaa in the state (UAPB doesn't count), etc. we will have a better chance of recruiting athletes to help us win than we could in the GSC where Valdosta and UNA have a huge recruiting edge due to their location and other factors.

Also, I do not think that schools who have never been a lower classification is a good example.  Their fans have never been D-II or D-Iaa.  I just do not see the prestige of going 6-6 as a break-out season because we are used to winning more than that.

Kicking Wing

I guess ADs and presidents get it. 

JusticeHawg

ASU didnt move up for  prestige.....neither did ULM, Troy, LA Tech or any of the other mid major schools.   It is all about Title IX and the money that is needed to comply with it.   All of those scholies are hard to support without revenue.   Hence the move to D1 and the guarntees that come with it.   See how much is paied to Troy to go to Bama every year......or for LA Tech to play at Auburn.    That helps pay for all of the womens sports and scholorships that go along with them to have the right % of male to female scholorships outlined by Title IX.
apprehend that scumbag for impersonating a basketball coach!

Chemo-Sabee

Quote from: ImHogginIt on January 18, 2006, 09:52:51 am
Quote from: UCABEARS75 on January 18, 2006, 08:23:49 am

The women are hotter at UCA and Conway is much more fun than Jonesboro. Plus, we UCA grads generally are better looking and more intelligent than ASU grads ;D

A UCA grad that supports the swine, Way to support your school!  Typical

Ugly Uncle

That is typical of most people that grew up in Arkansas.  The exception being some that chose for whatever reason to go to ASU.  Even most the people that I went to school with at ASU were hog fans.  There are almost as many people wearing hog stuff on that campus as there are Indian stuff.

Come on...you know better than that.
Retired Radio Host

Kicking Wing

Quote from: JusticeHawg on January 18, 2006, 05:23:37 pm
ASU didnt move up for prestige.....neither did ULM, Troy, LA Tech or any of the other mid major schools. It is all about Title IX and the money that is needed to comply with it. All of those scholies are hard to support without revenue. Hence the move to D1 and the guarntees that come with it. See how much is paied to Troy to go to Bama every year......or for LA Tech to play at Auburn. That helps pay for all of the womens sports and scholorships that go along with them to have the right % of male to female scholorships outlined by Title IX.
I don't think the addition of 20+ FB scholarships and an equal number of women's make that a valid reason.  It isn't so much a $ thing.

UCABEARS75

I am not sure I read Chemo-Shamee's post correctly or not, but I want to make one thing perfectly clear.

I am a UCA grad and I support the Bears and only the Bears.

I do read this board and ASU's and many others for information and just because I am a sports fan.

I do not attend other team's games unless we are playing them.

I do attend an occasional UALR basketball game because my wife is an alum.

p.s. I do not know how to put other quotes in my post.  I am old an not very computer literate.

Kicking Wing

I am right there with you, Bear.

hogindallas

Even though the thread was totally hijacked...I am an ASU grad now living in Dallas.  My sis is still in Jonesboro attending college.  MANY changes have been...and are being made still on the ASU campus.  I am 30, but went back to finish my degree only about 4 yrs ago.  Some of the changes that exist NOW were underway back then.  I've seen pics of the improvements on campus.  I also have been to the UCA campus and have no bias towards either, even though I attended ASU.  It was more for geographical reasons that I chose to attend there rather than U of A.  I must respectfully disagree with the UCA touting and agree with King.  UCA is in a nice area does well in its niche.  I don't think the campus is nicer, nor the facilities.  Locale might be better, but NEA has made some improvements.  I wish UCA and ASU well...but UCA's not about to overtake ASU.  To downplay ASU's bowl bid this yr even though they played in a suck ass conf. is a travesty.  I know they played what...3 money games that they really didn't have a chance to win?  2 I KNOW.  Was it Missouri and Memphis, or Ole Miss?...2 I know..and I apologize for not having the facts in front of me...but that record and the talent/progress thats been made in that football program is very encouraging. 

For the record, while in school there I always wore my Hog hats and was often verbally called out on it by professors, some in jest, some very serious.  I would always politely tell them that ASU gets my tuition, but my number one team is and will always be...the HOGS...doesn' mean I don;t support ASU though.  Same is true in this case.  I hope UCA does well.