Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

COMMENTARY: NCAA needs to lighten up, get with program

Started by fu-man-soo, June 22, 2006, 03:29:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

silvertip

Typical NCAA. Right now, there are a bunch of high school graduates waiting to see if they will indeed get their athletic scholarships---awaiting the NCAA "investigation" of their high schools.

The deadline for the NCAA's decision, as I understand it, is "Whenever They Get Through Playing With Themselves."

True, some of these sleazy "diploma mills" need to be shut down. But leave it to the NCAA to punish high school kids, "ex-post-facto,"
when the NCAA had no rules in place to be broken while these kids were going to these schools. The NCAA needs to be sued, repeatedly, so they won't have the time or resources for this nonsense.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: silvertip on June 22, 2006, 04:03:29 pm
Typical NCAA. Right now, there are a bunch of high school graduates waiting to see if they will indeed get their athletic scholarships---awaiting the NCAA "investigation" of their high schools.

The deadline for the NCAA's decision, as I understand it, is "Whenever They Get Through Playing With Themselves."

True, some of these sleazy "diploma mills" need to be shut down. But leave it to the NCAA to punish high school kids, "ex-post-facto,"
when the NCAA had no rules in place to be broken while these kids were going to these schools. The NCAA needs to be sued, repeatedly, so they won't have the time or resources for this nonsense.

I'm beginning to think they are commies....... both should sue the NCAA ..I agree....... Here's my question......  Why is it that Jeff Samardzija can sign a pro contract with baseball and be paid millions.....but this kid can't collect 25000 bucks from a hole in one during a charity GOLF event(has nothing to do with football just like baseball has nothing to do with football)..Somebody please explain this to me like I'm 12....   Now, I could understand if he was going to be a scholarship golf player--even that is stretching it....

werehog

Trust me, media focus on the fradulent diploma mills isn't going away. The LA Times SportsPage lead story this morning was on a diploma mill in the LA Area.

silvertip

Quote from: werehog on June 22, 2006, 05:52:32 pm
Trust me, media focus on the fradulent diploma mills isn't going away. The LA Times SportsPage lead story this morning was on a diploma mill in the LA Area.

True. It was only a media expose (New York Times?) a few months ago, that forced the NCAA to quit pretending that they weren't aware of this problem.

The shame is, that the NCAA bozos don't have the common decency to say, " We will try to clean this up, STARTING NOW."

Noooo. They are prepared to wreak havoc with the lives of teenagers like Hog recruit Michael Washington and Bama recruit Verice Cloyd who WERE NOT BREAKING ANY RULES.

Kids who are legit D-1 & perhaps NBA prospects---now in jeopardy of losing scholarships due to new rules to be enforced retoactively. Because the NCAA was too corrupt & lazy to address this problem, until it became a scandal.
A lot of these kids were not aware of the problem. The NCAA was.

bulldog04

Maybe the Congress should investigate it like they do everything else in sports, instead of trying to get us lower gas prices.